.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Monday, December 29, 2003
 
From: Gary Barnes
Date: Friday, December 26, 2003 10:41:30 PM

Bonnie,

Taylor Gluth was principal of the grade school (third floor) at the High School, (not Moraine) when I came to WC in 1950, the Third grade. I don't remember when he left. Grade school was top floor, Jr High 7,8,9 was in the basement and High School was on the middle floor. Gluth was Grade School Principal, A.Claire Eisle Jr. High, and Harry Russell High School.

Just full of info tonight aren't I. Glad to help when I can.

Gary

=========

Bonnie Risner Miller, wlcmctr@bellsouth.net, wrote:

---Christmas 2003. Like all recent years, it came and went in a flash, it seems. But it's sure been an active week or so, for our alumni group, let me tell you. We've picked up several new and distinguished sign-ons. We're going to cover all of that, as we go. First of all, I'll wish all of you a glorious and wonderful New Year. May it be filled with all good things and with lots of marvelous visits and chats with all your old pals from the hallowed halls of WC.

What clever things we learned, over this holiday week! I loved the discovery that the uncle of BEVERLY HAAS, Class of 1960, actually named our sports teams as the Pirates, way back in the 1920s, didn't you? I equally enjoyed the discovery that we had previously been called, "The Paper Hangers" because of the paper mill being there. I didn't know that, did you?

We continue to dig for yearbooks which cover the span of time beginning with 1926 through 1933. Between myself, DELORES K. FAHRNEY, Class of 1960, and WILLIAM L. MCNABB, Class of 1954, we've got a lot them covered, but not those. My search continues for an original copy of the 1941 and the 1936. Is there any help out there for me? We're also in the market for no less than 3 of the 1960 editions, 1 1959, 1 1958, 1 1955, 1 1949, and 1 1948. So keep those eyes and ears open, folks. When you go to garage sales, especially around the WC area, buy up every Piratan/WeCaTon you find. I'll take them off your hands, if you don't want them. By the way, my cousin JUDY L. SAMUELS, sold all 5 of hers in just one printing in one of my bulletins. In fact, she had buyers lined up, 3-deep. So the push is on! I can't even begin to tell you how much money I've spent acquiring these books for my alumni efforts and thank God for those wonderful folks who contributed them to me. Bill McNabb and DeDe and I continue to print out copies of the older ones and we've just finished up with the 1917. I think we have a 1924 yet to go, which Bill began today, for me and DeDe. Bill has been wonderful about all this! JACQUELYN CRITZER, Class of 1948, has the photo books with every class of the 4-year high school, which began in 1909, clear through to 1961, I believe it is. She will send you one for $10. As soon as my life slows down a bit, I'm sending her $10. If any of you are interested, also, let me know.

Also, many special thanks to STEVEN F. SHADE, Class of 1965, for all the alumni work he does. That also goes for NANCY ERTEL, Class of 1961, Alumni Officer JUNE CRUTCHFIELD, Class of 1958, MICHAEL S. WEST, Class of 1960, WILLIAM R. HOWARD, Class of 1958, BERTHA JAN HOERNER, Class of 1957, and GARY BARNES, Class of 1959, all of whom do some serious recruiting, researching, and assisting for me, in these efforts. Bertha, you are a better recruiter than Uncle Sam, himself, I'll swear!

Now, I have to tell all of you that I just MAY have actually found WILLIAM MCKINLEY ROHLER, Class of 1960, after many years of searching. I'm reluctant to write this, as it has yet to be confirmed, but I'm so excited at the prospect, I had to share it with you all. This is the same type of excitement I experienced when I sort of "knew" I'd finally found EDDIE L. KELLY, after a 15-year search. Both Bertha and Mike West researched SS records and did not find him among the deceased. Both TOM WOLF and AARON COUCH had indicated they thought he was dead. So did I. Bill Howard did some digging, too. Then, out of the blue on the 23rd, comes a message from SUE SOWERS, Class of 1958, in which she says she got an address from Bill's aunt and she's sure it's correct. I've sent a letter to Bill (I hope) on the very next day and I'm now on tenterhooks awaiting a response from someone whom I hope will be him. It's just TOO exciting! The push is now on to find two more 1960 folks, NINA KNISLEY and NANCY KERR. Does anybody know anything? DEVONA TAYLOR, dig through those old address books!

You are all such special people, you really are. Let me tell you about some of the things I've recently received from those among you. SUE MCCLOUD, Class of 1960, sent me a lovely photo album of the dinnner/ dance. I loved it. Of course, you remember me writing you about COOKIE BOWIE sending the beautiful, scented candle all the way from Mt. Rainier in Eatonville, Washington. PHIL WORLFORD, Class of 1960, sent me a a magazine subscription to "Reminisce." Now, gee, I wonder why he'd pick THAT one? Ha! From AARON COUCH, came a whopping $50 donation to put toward expenses for the printing and the mailing of all the bulletins, for those who don't have computers. That was very thoughtful, Aaron, and thank you so much. I don't mind donations from those who tell me who they ARE, but that first bunch of them were all anonymous. BARRY RUSSELLO & BETSY MURPHY sent me one of their nice 2004 calendars from their real estate office, The Realty Group, in Vandalia, Ohio, and they also sent a nice group of alumni photos. Recently, I went out to breakfast with LYNNETTE GARRETT, Class of 1961, and she grabbed up the breakfast tab, as did JERRY FULLER, at the holiday brunch in Titusville. You all just overwhelm me. All this, for writing a few bulletins and mailing a few envelopes. How very nice of you!

Some special holiday greetings came across the e-mail lines, too, from SALLY GILLETTE, from NANCY ERTEL, from TOM FEE, from BRUCE CHENOWETH, and hey, none other than GARY WARLAUMONT pulled his head up from his golf clubs to send me a line or two. Do I really rate or what? Jerry & Becky Fuller send out a great holiday letter over the internet. Did any of you get one?

On the 24th, I spoke with several terribly special people in my life, who included not only Bruce, but also SHIRLEY TUDOR and CHARLIE HIGH. Charlie was very ill and he's not doing great, folks. If any of you are so inclined please call Charlie and wish him well. His number is 937 233-3193. Better yet, you could send him a card at 5189 Fishburg Road, Huber Heights, Ohio 45424-4345. I can hear the fatigue in his voice when he talks on the phone. He's trying to care for his wife, who had a stroke, but she's better now. SHE is trying to care for her own mother, who also had a stroke. So Charlie really has his hands full. Let's all pull for him!

Shirley is doing great and I hope to see her during the coming year. We always try to connect at least 2-3 times during each calendar year. For the past 8 years or so, we've done pretty well with that.

Bill Howard is ready and rearin' to go, on the Second Annual WC Florida Spring Fest to be held in Orlando on March 28. He's driving down from WC. Not be outdone, so is BRUCE CHENOWETH, and he's coming down from Miamisburg. Both of them also drove all the way down for the recent holiday brunch, too. TOM FEE came over all the way from Tampa, so there's no lack of zest for all things WC. We expect Spring Fest to be a really smashing success and we hope to see the glamorous TOOTIE PENCE, once again, along with her sister, PHYLLIS.

NAncy Ertel wishes to know if anyone recalls the name of TAYLOR GLUTH, I think it is. He was supposedly the first principal of WC. I suspect this query could best be answered by someone named SHADE, EBY, WOLF, WOLFE, TREON, SCHUDER, THROCKMORTON, MCNABB, EBY, MAYS---you get the idea. If anyone out there knows, get back to us, please. Speaking of the Mays name, I know we all wish a speedy and full recovery to DAVID MAYS, who had knee surgery on December 21, I believe it was. Let us know how you're doing, Dave!

We now have some more wonderful additions to our alumni bulletin list. There is ERCELL PHILLIPS (aren't you 1957, Ercell?) There is also the lovely MARGIE L. MILTON, Class of 1958. Tell us something about you, Margie! We all already know you are ageless and pretty. Of course, everyone recalls DARELL LEE TOBIAS, Class of 1957. He's right here in Florida already, too, by the way. Darell sent me two really nice e-mails and one of them really caught my full attention. It was a transmitted photo of his gorgeous, black Harley-Davidson. As most of you know, I'm WAY into that H-D stuff. Darell assures me he will be at our Spring Fest. Ercell and his wife Betty, worked very hard on the 1957 class 45th reunion and that's great, Ercell. We all got to see Margie at the alumni dinner/dance. If you remember Margie from school (and who doesn't?), you won't have to ask who she is. She looks identical to her senior picture! We are also pleased to welcome JOHN L. CLOUSE, Class of 1961, and I just love John's e-mail address which includes the phrase, "clousehouse." Ironically, we've also just added GAIL DAUBENDICK, Class of 1961. We'd been searching for her because we thought she'd been married to the elusive Bill Rohler and she might be able to tell us where he was. But she wasn't and we may have found him, anyway!

There's also PHILLIP HOWARD, Class of 1960, and his wife, MARION KAY HUSSEY (1965 or 1966?) Phil and I and Kay haven't actually made contact yet, but we will. I am given to understand they have reared 5 children together and I hope to hear more about what must have quite a challenging and wonderful life for them, as time goes on. But we are all simply thrilled to have each and every single one of you, as welcome additions to our list and we do so hope you will contribute to our bulletins.

LYNNETTE GARRETT reports a safe return to her Germantown, Ohio, home with husband, Frank, after her Florida visit. I have to tell you, I miss her already! Lynn is simply MARVELOUS company and so amusing and a great conversationalist! EDNA GRAY wrote to say that she had a terrific time on Christmas eve with her two sisters, FLOSSIE GRAY, Class of 1960, and BRENDA GRAY, who I think is 1964. Edna is the travelin'est lady I know and I'm sure hoping she and Lynn will come down for Spring Fest. I've got a feeling they just might! Maybe they'll bring Edna's two sisters, too! I also wouldn't mind a bit if they brought those fun girls, JUDY FRANTZ, SALLY GILLETTE, JANET WALTERS, and DONNA RICHARDS. Those 1961 girls are just too fun!

PAUL BEARDSLEY and I are still exchanging fun stuff about Harley-Davidsons and I can hardly talk or write about motorcycles, without thinking of my lifelong pal, LARRY G. RING, who was respnsible for teaching me to ride, when I was just about 12. That had a profound and lasting effect on my life I mail the bulletins to Larry. If he has a computer, he hasn't told me yet. Do you, Larry? Then, there's always the all-time nice guy of the universe, GARY D. RICHARDS, who still lives right over in Apple Plat, in the nicest house you've ever seen. Did you get that new computer yet, Gary & Betty? I want to get the very first e-mail, hear?

JAMES L. LINDSEY, Class of 1959, has just gotten over an illness and we hope you're doing well, Jim. I'm sure Jim will be at Spring Fest. Let's not forget the birthday (84th) of our former teacher, MURL E. HUFFMAN, on December 29. My card's in the mail!

This just about winds it up for this one, gang! It's about time, eh? Just think, we're about to enter the year of 2004. I'm in a position of being able to be in contact with all of you at the touch of a button. Remember me? I'm a Miami Shores kid, who didn't even experience indoor plumbing until I was 14! This all seems totally ethereal to me. With that in mind, I'm off to meet JOANN STEMLEY and her hunky husband, Ron Hall, at the local Outback, where we will continue our day-after-Christmas tradition of supper together. Yes, my husband is coming, too!


Naturally, I wish you all the happiest of New Years.

As always, I leave each of you with my usual wish---glowing health, great happiness, peaceful serenity, and boundless prosperity. Ciao!

---And there you have it! More at 11--- B




Powered by Blogger