.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Thursday, January 01, 2004
 
December 21, 2003 Newsletter:

How about a little WC history
---lesson for our next bulletin? I've put a out a feeler on this question, with our "in-house expert," WILLIAM L. MCNABB of the Class of 1954, and when you read this, DOLORES K. FAHRNEY, Class of 1960, I'm in hopes you may also have the answer. When I look at my year-book for the year of 1925, it is named the WeCaTon. When I look at my copy of the 1934 yearbook, it is named as the Piratan. So we can deduce one fact from that, right? Sometime after the printing of the 1925 yearbook, but sometime before the printing of the 1934 yearbook, our annual was renamed to Piratan. Does anybody know what year that occurred. Who did it? How did they come up with that name? Why? TOM WOLF, do you have a clue? Your family goes way back with WC. If anyone named EBY is reading this, you might know. I ask you, IDA JANE TREON. Any clues?How about you, MILTON WOLFE? Your family dates way back in WC history, also. How about a MAYS person? I'll take any answer I can get. I've also learned that there was no yearbook printed at all, for the years of 1919, 1921, and 1922. I have yet to find any answer for that, but I'm going to keep digging. Need I write that I'll keep you posted?

In the arena of further thrilling undertakings with the illustrious Mr. McNabb, I can tell you that he has sent to me and to DeDe, the 1916 WeCaTon, which I have successfully reproduced, and we will be following with the 1917, as well as the 1924. That will give me all 8 of the first yearbooks of our school. If I'm ever successful in getting copies dated from 1926 through 1931, then my library will be inclusive from 1915 straight through 1964. Yes, I am still seeking an original 1936 and an original 1941, so don't let that fall by the wayside, please. My fondest wish is to be able to bring all of them to Spring Fest and also to the Frisch's Frolic and maybe even the alumni dinner-dance. What fun that would be, eh? Other acquisitions we need, for other alumni, is one 1948, one 1949, one 1958, two 1959s, two 1960s, and one 1961. Does anyone have any of these, with which they'd be willing to part?

Of course, you all remember my breakfast meeting with LYNNETTE GARRET & Co. on Wednesday. Well, we had such a good time, but not nearly long enough, that I decided I'd go up to her parents' place in Orange Park (it's just about 85 miles NW of me) this morning and we would get in some more visiting. Boy, did we ever make a day of it!

Away I went at about 8:45 this morning. I arrived at her place before 10. (Yes, yes, I know I was going way too fast and breaking speed limits.) Anyway, I met her sister and her parents and her son. Lynn and I then left behind everyone else around noon and headed out for lunch. We talked non-stop and, as they say, we talked about "everybody and his brother (and in this case, his sister, too.)Well, before we knew it, it was 2:30 in the afternoon and I'd been intending to be back home by 1. She had a lot to do, too, as she and Frank were headed back to Ohio tomorrow. So if your ears were ringing on Sunday, it's no doubt because of me and Lynn. We had a terrific visit and Lynn has intentions of coming to Spring Fest on March 28. I can hardly wait!

In the meantime, BERTHA HOERNER is sure doing her part in getting, "Just One More For 2004!" She has drummed up ERCELL PHILLIPS, Class of 1957, and his wife, Betty, and she's also working on connecting me with my old classmate and fellow Miami Shores kid, PHILLIP HOWARD. Not only that, Bertha is in touch with my sister, JUDY RISNER, Class of 1956. While we're on the subject of adding new folks, I'd like to tell you that we've also added ROBERT D. LOVETT, Class of 1966. Thanks for signing on, Bob. By the way, Bob lives in Marietta, Georgia, these days. I do believe Bob signed on as a result of either LARRY GILBERT, DALLAS MATHIS, or PAUL BEARDSLEY. This has gotten so big, I can't even recall. Let's not forget the December 29 birthday (84th, I believe) of our former teacher, MURL E. HUFFMAN, okay? Send those e-mails, send those cards, make those calls!

MICHAEL S. WEST, Class of 1960, sent an incredible photo of what happens when water pipes freeze in sub- zero temperatures. It was his brother-in-law's Michigan home. Mike is also assisting me in my never-ending search for WILLIAM M. ROHLER. I've now heard from two different sources that Bill is dead. I sure hope that's not true. Neither source is able to confirm it, though. Are you there, DONNA RICHARDS? Did you ever have any luck locating GAIL DAUBENDICK, to whom you thought Bill was married, or not? That seems to be our best lead for finding him. TOM WOLF is among those who wrote me that he thinks Bill is dead. AARON COUCH told me the same thing. Also, I want to gently prod you again, DEVONA TAYLOR. Were you able to locate anything on NINA KNISLEY yet? Both BRUCE CHENOWETH and I are dying to find her. During the past week, I sent a letter to MARGIE L. MILTON, Class of 1958, in which I was encouraging her to join our list. I do so hope she will respond. We'll see.

GARY BARNES, this last transmittal to RICHARD HENSLEY didn't come back rejected. Are you okay and receiving now, Rich? Let me know. I also need to hear from you, too, TOOTIE PENCE. I've got you two on the postal mailing list for now, until I know the status. We don't want to leave anyone out of the loop for the sake of a few minutes time and a few cents in postage.

From SALLY GILLETTE came a gorgeous, musical Christmas card, across the internet. Thank you, Sally! I return your cordial holiday wishes. From STEVE KOKOT and BARBARA THOMAS comes a report that they are visiting out of town for a few days over the holiday season. We hope you've had a wonderful trip and that you have a great Christmas, Kokots!

Before I forget this little piece of trivia, folks, I want to tell you that we also have JACQUELYN CRITZER, Class of 1948! I'm just thrilled! We now have class years which run from 1948 clear through 1982, right here on our little list. Isn't that spectacular? We're spanning nearly two full generations of WC people. Jackie is the one who sells the books which contain photos of all classes from 1909 through 1961. Here's another piece of WC trivia for you. 1909 was the very first graduating class of a 4- year high school in WC. Before that, it was just a 2- year high school. So I'm thrilled you're on this list, Jackie!

Both Bruce Chenoweth and BILL HOWARD report that they shared a meal together this past Friday evening, along with Bill's wife and Bruce's companion, Patty. I hear everyone had a great time and they plan to do it again soon. Bill also reported that he's going to begin asking other WC alumni and get in more visiting with old classmates. Great idea, Bill! Bill also wrote that he ran into COE WOLFE, in the local Kroger store. He said he would try to recruit Coe for our list. SUE SOWERS says that Bill and her husband, DAVID HOWARD, just have to be related because they're so much alike. Ha!

LARRY GILBERT and I had several great exchanges about memories of Mr. Huffman's classes. He wrote a great story about him, in fact, and sent a copy to Mr. H., as did Bob Lovett. That's right, it's Larry who's Bob's cousin, right? Also, if you're out there, LONNIE THACKER, Larry would sure like to hear from you. He wrote a long e-mail about you and what an interesting guy you are. So LINDA SNELL, how about prodding Lonnie a bit and getting him to write Larry, okay?

JOANN STEMLEY and her husband have arrived at their Orlando condo. That's where we'll all be, come March 28. Jo and I will have supper together on the day after Christmas, along with our husbands. I'll update you in the next bulletin after that. She is really looking forward to Spring Fest, I know that.

JUDY FRANTZ writes that both PAT FRITZ and LINDA FRITZ are her cousins. Bertha, I believe you were asking about them. E-mail Judy and she'll give you the scoop. If you don't have her e-mail address, send me a note and I'll give it to you. From EDNA GRAY comes the usual, wonderful e-mail in which she expounds on her excitement at spending Christmas Eve with her two sisters, FLOSSIE and BRENDA and how they've spent every Christmas Eve together for their entire lives. Can you imagine? Isn't that wonderful!! You GRAY sisters have a terrific time, hear?

PAUL BEARSDLEY and I are having some great exchanges about motorcycles and all things "Miami Shores," a subject which is dear to my heart. Every time anyone mentions that place, I could go on forever about it and the wonderful times I spent there, as a child.

We've been pretty fortunate in the way of illnesses in our little group, apparently. But I have recently learned that our fellow alumnus, DAVID MAYS, Class of 1960, has had knee surgery on this past Monday. His wife, Ann, is taking good care of him, I hear. We wish you well, David, and hope that you have a speedy recovery and are back at 100%, in no time!

JUDY SAMUELS has several years of Piratans she wishes to sell. They are all years which I either already have or of which I have more coming, so that's why I'm not taking these. I believe she has 1958, 1959, 1962. She also has 1960 and 1961, but I'm almost certain those two issues are already taken. If not, I'll let you know immediately. They are ones she purchased from the high school library and paid $18 apiece, which is the going rate. It's $2.42 each to send them, via the media mail rate. I think all she wants is what she paid, plus the postage. Believe me when I tell you, as one who has spent a fortune acquiring Piratans from a number of sources, that's a VERY fair price, if you're in the market. Our high school library sells them for that, IF the editions are available. Often, they aren't. So if you're interested, do let me know, and I'll put you in touch with her, if you don't already know how to reach her.

For those of you who aren't aware, we have some neat WC websites which are maintained by NANCY SWEEN, STEVE SHADE, and I think some assistance will be forthcoming from MIKE WEST and NICK WOLARY. So check those out and put your stories and bios there. It's so fun. There are lots of folks from whom I haven't heard in a while. Are you all okay? Send me a line or two. It will be after Christmas before I'm able to do anymore bulletins, folks. (Yes, it WILL be! I can hear you all now, disputing that statement.) Right now, I have to go and do some newspaper articles and I also write and distribute the monthly news bulletins for my little neighborhood of 216 homes, which is due right now. I also serve as the Neighborhood Watch Program Liaison with the local police department. Last week, I went to my meeting for the Bike Week Executive Board, where I am winding up my 19th year of service and am the sole, surviviing board member who has worked the entire time, from beginning to end, so I stay pretty busy.

Since it is time to move on to my next journalistic endeavor---truly my first love---I shall bid you all a fond farewell and a wonderful holiday and will leave you all with my usual wish of glowing health, great happiness, peaceful serentiy, and boundless prosperity. Ciao!




Powered by Blogger