.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Thursday, January 01, 2004
 
December 21, 2003 Newsletter:

How many of you may subscribe to...
---a religious faith, I do not know, nor does it matter. I do recall a Bible verse, however, which reads as, "Ask and ye shall receive." Well, I asked and I received. Check this out! We have among us, a direct descendant of the person who named our school teams at the Pirates. It's none other than one of my own 1960 classmates, Beverly J. Haas, whose name is now Zoe Whitefeather. Please read what she writes. I find it fascinating and perhaps you will, too. By the way, all of my cousin's yearbooks are now sold, so I'm sorry if she had any you wanted, but I'll keep all of you posted on any further findings.
Bonnie
=======

From: zoe
Date: Sunday, December 21, 2003 8:19:30 PM
To: wlcmctr@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: How about a little WC history---

Bonnie I can help you with this one
My Uncle, Melvin Huden, was a graduate of WCHS in approx 1928 and he was very active on the school newspaper. It was he who called our ballteam the Pirates they had previously been called the Paper Hangers because of the paper mill in town....which i believe is still there.....

Any way the name stuck...... a Few years ago there was a ceremony in which he was honored for the historic bit.. He passed away last year at a ripe old age....

The exact year is approximate since I can only guess....he was 12 yrs older than my mother and she graduated in 1940 or 41 not even sure about that.... and I'm not sure what year he wrote that article.... He called the team the Pirates because they had a track record of appearing to lose the game and then coming alive in the last quarter and winning !!!! So check around I'm sure there is someone there who can fill you in on more of the details.....My Mother and Aunt Bessie were both at that ceremony honoring Uncle Melvin.....perhaps they can give you more details.....
Zoe




Powered by Blogger