.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Tuesday, May 18, 2004
 
April 22, 2004: The WeCaTon News Report


"The Wrap-up"

Wait! What's that I wrote? "The WeCaTon News Report?" Well, what the heck is that, some of you might be musing? Well, I'm going to TELL you what it is. It is now the official name for our bulletin. This ingeniously-thought-out name has come to us, courtesy of GARY E. BARNES, Class of 1959, who wrote me just yesterday, with this idea. I was instantly struck by its wonderful nostalgic ring and the fact that it employs the very first name we ever had for our yearbooks, which began in 1915, as the WeCaTon, an obvious contraction of West Carrollton. So our bulletins will henceforth be known as the WeCaTon News Report. I love it! When you see that line on your e-mail from now on, you'll instantly know it's a WCHS alumni bulletin. Thanks, Gary! What a terrific and innovative idea. Gary, by the way, has committed to be at both our gatherings, October 8 and 9, at Frisch's and the alumni gig, too. Great!

Bill and Karen Walker turned up at my house on March 31, before leaving for their Texas home which is where they are now. We had a wonderful visit and I was more than thrilled that they gave me so much of their time. You can both be sure that I'll be calling, should I happen to pass nearby at anytime in the future. Thanks for coming over and I look forward to October! Karen reported that Bill spent a good deal of time during the first week of April, in playing golf with several members of WC's answer to the Kennedy Clan, the MAYSES. I have to tell you that I was VERY disappointed that we didn't have even one MAYS at our Spring Fest, even though several of them were within a stone's throw. We hope you of the Mays Clan will never allow that to recur. We look forward to seeing all of you in October.

My cousin, JUDITH L. SAMUELS, was to have been at Spring Fest, too. But she was coping with some health issues at the time and unable to make it. However, I understand that things are bit better now, so perhaps we will see her in Ohio, come October! The same goes for MICHAEL S. WEST, Class of 1960, who is also having some health issues at this time. Let's all pull for both Mike and Judy and hope that they are both in the pink for our fall gathering, shall we? We sure did miss you both!

JOHN A. "Apothecary John" MCCLELLAN, Class of 1966 (I believe), also checked in to promote his area of the world out there in Parker, Arizona. How about it, John, are we going to see you in October? I sure do hope so! I really especially enjoy meeting those on my bulletin list with whom I have not yet become personally acquainted. So come and be with us, okay?

LINDA L. MCAFEE, Class of1957, did a quick check-in and let us know that she was home safely. You were such fun, Linda! I sure do hope you'll be in Ohio, come October! Our own 1960 MADELEINE D. CAMPBELL, sent a message to say how much she enjoyed seeing everyone and how happy she was that she took the time to attend. We're glad, too, Madeleine! Now, if we can just get you to the Ohio function-----hmmm!

CAROLYN SUE MCCLOUD, Class of 1960, made a safe journey home, also. We hope that John is doing well, Sue. Sue left a little early because John was ill. JAMES L. LINDSEY did write me on April 3 to say that things just didn't fall into place in such a way as to allow him to join us. So I was glad to hear that he didn't forget about us. RONALD D. "TOM" FEE, Class of 1958, made great efforts to make the weekend the roaring success that it was. BARBARA T. O'NEAL (f/k/a Thomas), Class of 1961, was certainly a wonderful part of our group and it wouldn't have been half the fun, if not for Barb and spouse, STEVEN M. KOKOT, Class of 1960, and a truly nice, nice guy. October, right, Steve?

From our brilliant and dedicated, in-house "computer guru," NANCY J. ERTEL, Class of 1961, came another website to access for photos and there are some on there from Spring Fest. This website is a long one, so pay close attention to the dots and slashes, etc.

http://freepages.school-alumni.rootsweb.com/~vlwest/
albumwc.html

That second line is part of the website, too, although it won't highlight in blue because it's the end of the line. Many thanks again, Nancy. We all appreciate it. From WALLACE W. ROBBINS came a postcard in the mail, of his beautiful 16-year-old granddaughter, to whom he wrote he's terribly close. I think she's about 18 now, though, because he said she's going off to college and he's very sad about missing her while she's gone.

Mike West has firmly committed to attendance of both nights in October and he continues to closely monitor the ill health of 1960s L. EUGENE ZINK. We all hope you're up and about and doing well very soon, Gene. Take good care of yourself and stay in touch with us. Gene just mailed an envelope to me, the other day, as a matter of fact! CRAIG VAN DYKE, Class of 1982, also checked in on March 30, to say that he was going to be out of his Hewlett-Packard office in Colorado Springs until April 9. It sounds like you had a nice vacation period there, Craig. Are you going to let us all know where you went?

Once our Spring Fest weekend has concluded, e-mails began to arrive en masse, with writings about how great it had been and how much fun everyone had. There were most certainly unexpected disappointments, too. I had spoken with CURTIS A KEMP, just the night before, and he'd assured me he'd see us all on the following day. He did not show and we got a bit worried. He e-mailed to say that something unforeseen has cropped up, but assured me that he'll be with us in October at the alumni gig. We all look forward to that, Curtis, especially your old pals, TOM FEE & EDDIE KELLY, who will both also be there.

We also all wondered about you, "TOOTIE" PENCE. I have to tell you that you had practically your own fan club awaiting your arrival, all day long. There was GREAT disappointment at your failure to appear. What on earth happened? You'd sent me an e-mail in March, assuring me you'd be there, even if you were living in Ohio by then. You were truly, truly missed. We sure do hope you'll be showing up at the alumni gig in October.

JIM LINDSEY, Class of 1959, you're another one who was supposed to be there, no matter what. Where were you? We all missed you and hope you'll be in Ohio again, come October.

As always, WILLIAM R. HOWARD, Class of 1958, was forthcoming to me with many words of praise about the event. I appreciate that so much, Bill, but as I always write, this is a group effort. We're all in this together. If I didn't have all the input from all of YOU, then this could not happen. So keep those messages and updates on the move, so that I have material for our WeCaTon News Reports, hear?


Due to Bill's efforts, by the way, we now span class years which range from the 1930s (EMERSON FAHRNEY, Class of 1933) through to the 1990s. Bill drummed up a 1990 grad whose name is R. L. HALLER. R. L., we'd like to know your first name, please. We'd also like to hear a bit about you---married, kids, job, living where, etc. We're thrilled to have you on board and you are our very first sign-on from the decade of the 1990s. This is just a thrill! Let's all try to spark some interest in our alumni of the '70s, '80s, and '90s, please. We don't have nearly enough of them. Heck, there may even be some of them who have never heard of the WeCaTon. Just think of that!


From the home of my beloved sociology teacher, JAMES C. JOHNSON (was there ever any doubt?) came a request to add SHIRLEY ANN HILE, Class of 1957. Shirley made the request to be added, through the Johnson household. So we have you, too, Shirley. Her last name is now Richards, for those of you who may not know.


BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, Class of 1958, gave a full report on his successful trip home. No distance, it seems, is too far to travel for a WC event for Bruce. I've noticed that also seems to apply to TOM FEE, JERRY FULLER, BOYD JENKINS, and BILL HOWARD. Just mention a WC event and those five guys are right there. Each and every one of you get a huge, verbal pat on the back from ME, that's for sure. I'm impressed with such devotion to "the cause."


We want to send special wishes to Jill Warlaumont, wife of 1960's GARY L. WARLAUMONT, for the mishap she apparently suffered at a Lexus dealership, earlier this month. Are you doing okay, Jill? We certainly hope so.


In the past month, about 25-30 of you have requested my postal mailing address. I'm going to give it to you now. It's 1259 Vanderbilt Drive, Ormond Beach, Florida 32174-6030. While we're at it, I'll also list my residence telephone number. It's 386 677-4079. There!


Let's all check out the website of WC's published author, CAROL A. MUMMA (last name now Guy), Class of 1961. Her website is as follows:
http://www.geocites.com/cguy1943/carolguy.html
Carol has recently returned from a trip to Oklahoma City for EPIC, which I'm sure is related to writing. Carol's son lives in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, she writes, and he often travels to Philadelphia on business. Thanks for the newsy update, Carol!


Also checking in was CAROLYN GILLETTE, Class of 1954, because I asked her about the best time to get her 4 Piratans in the mail and back to her. Most of you will recall how elated I was to receive Carolyn's books last year, when I so desperately needed those editions. She donated them, thinking she'd never see them again. So that's why it was a very special gesture. But as I began to acquire more books, I got those editions, too, and was so happy to be able to return those to her. If you don't yet have those, Carolyn, you certainly will have them very soon. Carolyn also commented on the amount of time I devote to doing these bulletins. Truly, it really isn't all that much, but I'm awfully happy that you all take the time to tell me you appreciate it.


JUDY M. FRANTZ, Class of 1961, also checked in to say that she was sorry she wasn't able to come down for Spring Fest. Judy told me she very recently ran into CHARLES V. CARTER, Class of 1960, and they talked about WC stuff, of course. We expect to see you both in October, Judy and Charles. No excuses! You, too, Pam!


About March 31, DOLORES K. "DEDE" FAHRNEY, Class of 1960, also checked in to say what a great time they'd all had at Spring Fest. DeDe, you really made a GIANT contribution to the attendance number at the event and that is SO appreciated! DeDe not only came to the event, but as you all will remember, she had quite a number of other alumni in tow with her. They included her well-known brother, RICHARD A. FAHRNEY, Class of 1958, her father, EMERSON FAHRNEY, Class of 1933 and longtime servant of the school board, and also family friend and 1955's MARILYN DONALDSON. Also not to be forgotten, DeDe, Dick, and Marilyn ALL did well in the golf tourney. So thanks, DeDe, and we sure do hope that all of you will be present in October. By the way, DONNA J. TUDOR, Class of 1955, wants to contact Marilyn. Did we succeed in giving Marilyn that e-mail? Donna also wrote to apologize for not getting to Spring Fest, but has firmly committed to October.


In the couple of days following Spring Fest, no one wanted to "let go of the mood." From what I can gather, several people spent time together over in Orlando, as they walked Universal Studios and shared meals and great conversation. Those people included JOANN STEMLEY, COOKIE BOWIE, and WILLIAM O. WALKER, all Class of 1960. Karen Walker and Ron Hall were also part of the group (Bill and JoAnn's other halves.) Everyone got along wonderfully and many people made wonderful comments about YOU, Cookie! Everyone was just thrilled by your being there. Is there no way we can coax you into coming to the alumni gig in October? Cookie wrote me that she just loved you, Karen Walker! By the way, I believe we're going to make you an honorary member of the Class of 1960. God knows you've earned it. We don't care whether you like that or not, by the way. Cookie also wrote me about how beautiful she thinks SHIRLEY J. TUDOR, Class of 1960, still is. You were truly such a wonderful addition to the group, Cookie. It felt "right" to have you there, and I'm sure you felt that, too.


Also checking in was that loveliest of ladies, EULA FAYE BAILEY, Class of 1960. My life has been terribly enriched since reconnecting with you, Eula Faye. I'm just thrilled to be in contact again and I can't wait to see you again in October! It's going to be a lollapaloozer this year, I guarantee it! Are we all working on our theme for this year---"Just One More For 2004!" Let's not lose sight of that goal. Bill Howard also confirmed what a good time he had, even though he felt his golf game wasn't "quite up to par." (Pun intended.) Hey, Bill, as far as I'M concerned, your golf game was terrific, in view of the fact that you had NEVER played before. On thing's for sure; you weren't lacking in sportsmanship and could likely give us all a lesson in that.


PHILIP H. WOLFORD, Class of 1960, wrote me the most wonderful vacation narrative, that I've decided to share it with all of you. It's one which could present some serious competition to those wonderful renderings of 1961's EDNA L. GRAY, another beautiful face we missed at Spring Fest, by the way. We'll see you, come October, Edna!


At this writing, I continue to amass Piratans. I've now branched out to collecting Pirate's Logs and also the Junior High Yearbooks, whenever and wherever I can find them. I've got several extra 1956 Piratans now, if anyone is interested. So let me know. As I've told you all previously, I'll sell them to WC people (only) for just what I paid, plus the shipping (which is very minimal, as I always use media mail rates). Keep your collective eyes open at garage sales, attic clean-outs, etc. If you find anything and don't want it for yourself, buy it, anyway. I'll reimburse you and take it. I've got a short list of people who want various books. I hope to fulfill all the requests by year's end. With this, I leave you all with my usual wish for glowing health, great happiness, peaceful serentiy, and boundless prosperity. Ciao!



A WCHS Alumni site




Powered by Blogger