.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Sunday, May 23, 2004
 
WECATON NEWS REPORT, May 21, 2004


---Hi to everyone! It seems just about time to do another WC bulletin, doesn't it? Well, let's see, what juicy news do we have? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, well, we'll just see how it goes, I guess. First of all, I've been in contact with my old pal, NINA F. KNISLEY, Class of 1960. Of course, she has also seen our other cohort, BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, Class of 1958. We all very much look forward to seeing each other, come October, once again. Nina, though, has hinted that I might be seeing her, sooner than I think, and I'm unsure as to the precise meaning of that. But I guess I'll be told when I need to know.


It took me a few days to recover from my whirlwind trip to Colorado Springs. I was gone just 3 hours more than 6 full days and I drove this whole trip, a total of 4230 miles. My departure was on Monday, May 10, at 1pm. My return was on Sunday, May 16, at 4pm. From 8pm on Wednesday to 10:30 am on Friday, I was visiting and rapidly sightseeing, so that narrows down the driving time, quite a bit, eh? As I was crossing Kansas, I spoke to Bruce on his cell phone and we both spoke of EULA FAYE BAILEY, Class of 1960, and how great it would have been for me to have been able to see her. But alas, it was the late hours and she was having medical things done, anyway. I had the same thoughts about NANCY ERTEL in Bonner Springs, Kansas. But I may spin out there again, come the late summer, I don't know yet. MICHAEL S. WEST, Class of 1960, had medical things done, too, and he's currently nicely recovering. I'm hoping you'll update us, Mike, on the current situation? Mike wrote the neatest thing about you, Eula Faye. In one of his e-mails to me, it said, "I'll bet Eula Faye Bailey doesn't have much time for anything except fending off all her potential suitors, as charming and gorgeous as she is!" Did I write that before? I don't know, but if I did, it bears repeating. Eula Faye has a new e-mail address, folks. Did you tell everyone yet, Eula Faye?


Another of our folks has a new e-mail address, too. It's RONALD D. "TOM " FEE, Class of 1958, as reported by his classmate and old friend, WILLIAM R. HOWARD. So let me know, gang, if any of you need to reach Tom or Eula Faye and you can't do it, okay?


Recently, and to my utter surprise, I found listed on the Classmates.com site, none other than PAMELA CASE, Class of 1959. Since I'd had inquiries about her, I sent an e-mail, but thus far, there is no response, I'm sorry to say. GARY E. BARNES, Class of 1959, said that she told him she didn't want to be a part of WC things, when she was contacted for the reunion last year, so in view of that, I was surprised she had signed onto that site. Perhaps she has had a change of heart. Let's hope so. If anyone hears anything, please let me know. Thanks.


JUDY M. COFFMAN, Class of 1961, checked in to see how my road trip went. I guess I've already answered your question, Judy. It went fast!


From JAMES L. LINDSEY, Class of 1959, came a note saying that he thinks both of the PIERCE brothers, DAVID and WILLIAM G., are still in the area of WC. He also expressed his sorrow at the prospect of never again seeing Pamela Case. Jim says that Pam told not only him, but also WALLACE W. ROBBINS, that she had no interest in WC folks. Oh well! Since he was NOT one of the two who had already asked me about her, I guess we'll have to start a little fan club, just for Pam, just as we have for Eula Faye, huh? But Eula Faye gets lots more points, as she LIKES us and even travels to be with us!
C'mon, Pam, we're not so bad. Join us for a few things and you just might like us again. We're a BUNCH of fun!


JOHN E. MCCLELLAND (is it 1964, John?) was kind enough to provide me with some addresses of folks who just may be able to tell me if we had yearbooks for the elusive years of 1926-1931. I plan to use them, and thanks, John. Our official "WC computer guru," NANCY J. SWEEN, Class of 1961, took the time to post that great photo of John's mother, ERMA JANE TREON, Class of 1933, on our website. What a great one that is!
Many thanks, Nancy, for your never-ending efforts. Oh, by the way, John ("Apothecary John") is in the market for yearbooks for the years of 1967, 1968, 1969, and 1970. I don't have extras on any of those, I don't THINK. But if I do, you get first crack at them, John. Does anyone out there have any of those to spare?


DARELL L. TOBIAS, Class of 1957, and I, have been exchanging a few notes here and there about the great riding weather we're having, here in Florida, and what a wonderful Spring season we've experienced. Boy, did I EVER appreciate this weather after returning from out in Colorado! On the morning of Thursday, May 13, I drove two of my grandchildren to their Colorado school in a driving and sloshy snow! It was WAY too cold out there for ME! I'm with Darell on this riding weather!


Those WALKER people checked in---WILLIAM O. and KAREN MURPHY---of 1960 (Karen is now an honorary class member, remember?) The Walkers didn't wind up going to California, after all. I think they were relieved. They've covered a lot of ground this year and are now at their home in Dickinson, Texas, doing some sprucing up. Remember, you two, you're BUSY on the weekend of October 8, 9, and 10. We ALL are!


About May 12, JEANNETTE P. JONAS, Class of 1949, passed away. Her married name was Avery. I didn't know her, but she was one of us, and I'll bet some of you did know her. How about you, JACKIE CRITZER, Class of 1948? I'll bet you did, didn't you? Thanks for telling us about that, Bill Howard.


Several folks checked in with notes of humor on various topics, directed at many of us. They include SANDRA L. BARSALOU, Class of 1958, DAVID A. BLAIR, Class of 1960, LINDA J. SNELL, Class of 1960, JOANN K. STEMLEY, Class of 1960, CARLOYN SUE MCCLOUD, Class of 1960, SUE E. SOWERS, Class of 1958, L. EUGENE ZINK, Class of 1960, and also cousin, JUDITH L. SAMUELS, checked in to tell me that she couldn't get things with those little fingers and eyes on them. Well, I didn't like that, either, Judy. Finally, I got it off of there, but not without a few frustrated exchanges with another computer wizard, BEVERLY J. HAAS, Class of 1960. I was thrilled to get that off of there! Part of these e-mails were about NOT buying gas on May 19, by the way.


CRAIG A. VAN DYKE, Class of 1983, and I, had a couple of nostalgic exchanges, even though we're a whole generation apart. Craig and I discovered we had more in common than we might have thought. Craig's e-mail has changed to his home, so let me know if you need it for anything.


PAUL R. BEARDSLEY, Class of 1961, and I, have had numerous exchanges, too, and I've been checking some yearbook pages for Paul. I'm sending you the 1955, Paul, and I'm sending you one, too, Bill. I've got the ones for both of you. Bruce, I've got your 1960, and I have at least 3 extra 1956s, if anyone is interested. I still have to inventory a lot of them, though. So bear with me.


Our girl out in Eatonville, Washington, checked in (none other than NANCY E. "COOKIE" BOWIE). Cookie, you were a smash hit at our Spring Fest. Everyone LOVED seeing you! Cookie has taken a couple more trips since we saw her, folks. She's a traveler, too. We've still got our fingers crossed, Cookie, in the hope that you will break down and come to the alumni gig.


We've added another WC alumnus, RICHARD WELLS, through a bidding war on e-Bay. Rick wanted the post card of the Little Farm. I won. He wanted it so badly, though, I didn't have the heart to keep it. So I'm sending it to him and now, we've got another WC pal. Welcome aboard, Rick!


From THOMAS L. WOLF, JR., Class of 1960, comes an e-mail about the KOKENGES, TOM and RUSTY, of Knot Hole Restaurant fame. Tom has come out of retirement to do some coaching, reports Tom W., and he says both of them are still in the area. Thanks for that update, Tom.


From J. DAVID MAYS, Class of 1960, comes a message about the malfunction and recent repair of his computer. He's back in business now, though, aren't you, David? Listen, let me know what you've missed, please, and I'll try hard to get you current. You were out of service from when to when? That's what I need to know.


SHIRLEY J. TUDOR, Class of 1960, and I have talked at length in the last couple of weeks. There are still many of you with whom I haven't spoken nor gotten an e-mail. So please jump on that bandwagon, will you?


JAMES E. RICHARDSON and wife, K. JUNE CRUTCHFIELD, Class of 1958, both checked in to thank me for bulletins, which isn't at all necessary, but was terribly appreciated. I look very much forward to seeing both of you again.


EDGAR L. KELLY, Class of 1960, checked in to say that he and wife Marilyn returned to their Boise, Idaho, home. Did I already tell you that? Well, now I told you again!


Now, I'm about to tell you all about some news on a WC icon. It is about none other than WOODROW W. BOWMAN, better known as Woody, longtime proprietor of the now-defunct Woody's Supermarket and employer of many a WC kid. As most of you are well aware by now, my ties to that family run very deeply. BEVERY A. BOWMAN was one of my dearest and nearest friends in high school, Woody was bigger than life to me, as a kid, and my father was for 9 years married to Woody's first wife, Louise, a grand and totally classy lady whom I came to dearly love. So I greatly enjoy a chat from time to time, with someone in the family. Just on Wednesday, that someone in the family turned out to be NANCY BOWMAN, Beverly's younger sister, and Woody's youngest daughter, with whom he is currently residing.


It's always pleasant to converse with Nancy and I enjoy very much our intermittent exchanges. Woody was married again in 1964 to the former Wilma Ozbirn, as many of you know. That marriage legally ended, earlier this year, after 40 years. Woody turned 91 on January 6 and Nancy tells me he's doing really well. That's great news, in view of the fact that Woody is going to remarry on June 27. But that's only half the story. The person to whom he is betrothed is none other than a lady named Jackie Adkins, the former JACKIE DUNCAN, who was the WC homecoming queen in about 1954, I believe.


Mrs. Adkins was Woody's personal secretary for about 30 years. Their fondness for each other apparently developed during that time. Nancy is happy that her dad is marrying someone who will take good care of him in his advancing years. I know I certainly do wish them the very best. I recall seeing Jackie at the alumni gig last year. Wow, wouldn't it be terrific if she comes again this year, and brings along her new husband, Woody? If anybody knows how to e-mail her, please ask her to do that, will you? How I'd love to see Woody again!


On that same day, I also spoke with SANDRA HALL, Class of 1961, and she told me that her cousin, NANCY KANNINEN, Class of 1960, now lives in Oregon. I asked that she give Nancy my e-mail address, so perhaps I will hear from her. That would be nice. Sandy still works at the Little Farm, which was recently sold. So that's a slug of news, folks!


Just before I close, will the person who sent me the $50 bill, PLEASE let me know who you are, so that I can acknowledge you in the bulletins? I understand that a few want anonymity, but at least let ME know who you are, okay? I'm using all these donations for postage and computer upkeep and print cartridges for the mailouts, etc., and I thank you very much, whoever you are. But it's difficult to offer proper thanks, if you don't know who to thank, right?


With that, I shall close for this bulletin. It goes without writing it (but I will, anyway) that I leave each of you with my usual wish for glowing health, great happiness, peaceful serenity, and boundless prosperity. Ciao!


---And there you have it! More at 11--- B





Powered by Blogger