.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Wednesday, June 23, 2004
 
WECATON NEWS REPORT - June 12, 2004


---Here we go, folks! We're off and running. I keep trying to hold off for monthly bulletins, but I get back too many e- mails to do that, I'm happy to report! Tonight's bulletin is especially rewarding for me. I've just hung up from what you might call, "a reunion telephone call" with none other than RICHARD C. CALL, Class of 1962. Yes, Richard will be joining us in October. He lives in Brookville with wife, Jeannie, has two children, and two grandchildren, tells me he's in good health, retired from GM, and he also asked about a number of you. For years, Rich (as we used to address him), ran around with the likes of EDDIE KELLY, BILL ROHLER, AARON COUCH, COLIN KELLEY, and a few other WC adventurers. He's quite anxious to see everyone again, too. So as a result of that one phone call, we'll add, "Just One More For 2004!" That makes about 3 "just-one-mores" for me. So how are all of YOU coming along, with your "just-one -more" efforts? I gave Rich the numbers for Eddie and Bill, of course, but I don't know Colin's number. Does anyone have that? Rich is now a permanent part of our bulletin list, so welcome aboard, Rich! We all can't wait to see you, come October. If anyone wishes to directly contact Rich, please let me know. He's up for hearing from any and all former WC folks.


We had a good response to the request for those of you to donate money (if you're able) to our former classmate who's nearly homeless. BRUCE E. CHENOWETH made a journey recently and has delivered funds to that person. He will be going again, in about 2-3 more weeks. Several of you have asked me to recap this, so here goes. We have someone who's in a bad situation, to make it short and sweet. This person is a former WC attendee, as well as a Miami Shores Kid, like many on this list. There is no substantive address to which to send funds and the person has no banking connections, so that is why I recommend making checks payable to Bruce. He is in contact and takes funds to this party, as they are donated. He has generously donated, also, I might add. So if you would like to be a part of this very compassionate gesture, send a check to Bruce at his home address of 10899 Pomona Street, Miamisburg, Ohio 45342. He'll likely know what it is and for whom it is. I thank all of you who have sent money and I assure you that the recipient is also very grateful.


Checking in over the past couple of weeks with notes of humor, wisdom, and also just interesting stuff, have been the following people: JOANN K STEMLEY, SANDRA L. BARSALOU, EULA FAYE BAILEY, DARELL L. TOBIAS, SALLY L. GILLETTE, SUE E. SOWERS, LINDA L. SHANK, & CAROL A. MUMMA. We're all pleased to hear from all of you!


Among one of the more amusing items, came a note from SANDRA S. HOLLINGSWORTH, which bore the comforting news that chocolate is a vegetable! Aren't you just thrilled to know that? I know it sure gave ME a warm and fuzzy feeling. That is surely a comfort to all of us. Thanks, Sande, that was a cute one!


Darell, you and I are going to have a tough time, getting in that H-D ride, what with all this rain, aren't we? Eula Faye, did you get all your new addresses downloaded? I can scarcely wait to see all of you, come October! I do hope everyone plans to be there. I've got my airline and car reservations already set!


Once again, I've been enjoying some great Miami Shores memories with PAUL R. BEARDSLEY. You and I just can't stay off that subject, can we, Paul? God help us all when you show up at Frisch's on October 8! We will bore everyone to tears, won't we? Paul got one of my extra Piratans and we were reminiscing a bit. I still have a few left, if anyone is in the market for a particular year. Let me know and I'll check my inventory.


MICHAEL S. WEST and I have had a couple of good exchanges and have even spoken on the phone. I'm sort of in the mood for a bike trip and I love Tennessee. That may be my next destination, so look out, Mike & Sally! By the way, Mike continues to maintain contact with L. EUGENE ZINK (1960) & NICHOLAS P. WOLARY (1958). Again, we hope to see everyone in October. I spoke with Gene, by the way, and he's doing a bit better. He even invited me to Alabama! Careful, Gene! I just may take you up on that.


BEVERLY J. HAAS has come up with an ingenious plan for keeping everyone in touch. It's some sort of YaHoo website where we can all chat and I can even post my bulletins there. I haven't yet figured it out, but I know she is right about all she said about it. I just have to figure out how to do it, that's all. Thanks for that, Zoe!


Bruce and I have also talked and he may also go down to Tennessee, sometime this summer. In fact, a lot of us are planning a few summer trips. I've recently spoken with my "birthday twin," DEVONA S. TAYLOR, and Dee is doing well and in good health. She tells me that her husband, EUGENE COUCH, is also doing well. We'll see them in October, and we're going to be looking for you, too, AARON COUCH! (So will every woman in Ohio, who is single, widowed, or divorced, I'd guess!) For you men, of course we have the charming, forever- Old-South girl, herself, Eula Faye Bailey. So you can believe me, when I tell you that there is something for everyone at THIS function!


From CAROLYN SUE MCCLOUD, Class of 1960, (or was that you, John?) came an e-mail called, "Take A Walk With Me," and it mentioned everything from fender skirts to the word, "supper," which will forever mean the evening meal, to 1950s kids. We had breakfast, dinner, and supper. Lunch was used, only if you were eating the midday meal away from home, remember?


On June 1, came the newsy inquiry from GARY E. BARNES, about how to reach CHARLES A. HIGH. He also gave me the news that GARY D. MAYS, Class of 1957, and his homecoming-queen wife, DONNA BOWIE, were in an auto accident. Gary has spoken with
Mays sibling, WILLMA, who informed him. Gary & Donna live just about 30 miles from me. I sent a card to them and Gary called me last Saturday. We had a windy chat, during which I tried to talk them into coming to the alumni gig, of course. I also mailed over a packet of the bulletins. We'll see what happens.


WILLIAM O. WALKER and spouse, KAREN MURPHY (honorary WC-er) remain in the state of Kansas, working storm claims. They will also be doing some visiting when they finish, seeing their, "inherited grandchildren," the offspring of the best friend of their late son, TIM. We wish you a great visit, guys, and we hope to see you in October! They're staying very busy, though, working the storm claims from their RV.


Leave it to NANCY J. ERTEL, Class of 1961, to find me this wonderful website for motorcycle events. But I'm just not clever enough to get the hang of using it, yet. I've kept it, though, and intend to explore the options, if any. Many thanks for thinking of me, Nancy. Did all of you get to see the great photo of Nancy with her handsome spouse whose name is Donald? If not, perhaps you will soon be posting that photo on the WC website, right, Nancy?


From WILLIAM R. HOWARD comes a note of thanks for his recently-received copy of the 1955 Piratan, which he has sought for so long. I'm unsure, but I do believe that may complete Bill's Piratan requests. I was successful in getting him a 1958, a 1955, and Bill, didn't I also get you a 1957? I've done so many now, my recollections of which ones I got for which WC people, are all merging together.


JUNE CRUTCHFIELD checked in to say that they were having an alumni meeting on June 8. I haven't yet heard from her, as to just how that went, but I'm sure she'll be checking in again soon with a full report. Once again, I want to reiterate the importance of reserving your seat for the alumni dinner this year. Yes, you can come after the dinner is concluded. But there are sometimes a few problems with the arrangement. If you weren't there for the dinner, then it's possible you may not have a seat, once it's over. Besides, everyone wants to have dinner together and let's not forget that our alumni association reaps the benefits of what we pay for this dinner. So I urge all of you to pay for a reservation. This is more fun than I can EVER tell you in this bulletin. Just be there, okay? If you go to that first one, you'll never miss one again, I promise you.


GERALD A. FULLER checked in and he and Becky are in their Kentucky houseboat home (Lancaster, to be precise). The Fullers are just wonderful about keeping up good contact. Jerry would like to see us hold a WC Florida Spring Fest in his hometown of Panama City Beach, one year soon. We'll have to think that over. I guess a lot of us wouldn't mind a different place, from time to time, I don't know. The only meeting place which seems to be "written in stone" is that of the Frisch's in Moraine City, for which we all seem to have such a soft spot in our hearts. But I'm open to any suggestions from anybody about holding WC gatherings, aren't you?


From JOANN STEMLEY came a cordial note, inviting me to come and stay with her anytime and we'd get together with some of the old classmates and rehash old times. Somehow, you'd think we'd all get weary of that, wouldn't you? But we never, ever do!


SHIRLEY ANN HILE also checked in to say what a small world it truly is, based on the story which was sent to me by MR. JOHNSON and his wife, about the fast-food stop in Kentucky. I have to say, that WAS a good one. We hope you will be with us in October, Shirley. (That goes for you Johnsons, too! After all, what would a WC event BE, with no Mr. Johnson? That goes for MURL E. HUFFMAN, too!)


Several people, including the Walkers and SUE SOWERS made sure we all knew that our former class- mate, LEONARD F. KUHN, Clas of 1958, just underwent a triple bypass recently. Lennie is recovering rapidly and successfully, as I understand it. We fervently hope that Lennie will also be with us in October. We all wish you well, Lennie.


CURTIS A. KEMP has positively assured me that he and his wife WILL be at the alumni gig, come hell or high water. You sure had BETTER be, Curtis! Not only is your old pal, EDDIE KELLY, looking forward to seeing you and coming in all the way from Idaho, but now, even RICHARD CALL will be there and HE wants to see you, too, hear? So don't let us down! I know you won't.


Cousin JUDITH L. SAMUELS reported in, to say that she was taking a trip to Savannah on June 2. I guess you are back by now, Judy. How was your trip? Judy also expressed sympathy for our almost-homeless WC person and made the observation that there may be many of us, who are in that situation and just one paycheck from bankruptcy. I suppose that's probably true, so I'm very grateful for the small measure of security with which I've been blessed.


An interesting e-mail popped up from SHARLENE N. MERKER, Class of 1987 and daughter of 1960's SHIRLEY J. TUDOR. Sharlene wrote me of their plans to go on a Disney Cruise in October of 2005. But she also asked me about the most famous female serial killer, who lived in this area, Aileen Carol Wournos, upon whose life is based the Oscar-winning film, "Monster." I was surprised she asked me about this woman because I had, indeed, had a couple of brushes with her, while she lived here in Volusia County. So I told her all about that. We just HAVE to get you and your WC husband, JEFFREY A. SIZER, and your WC father-in-law, GARY L. SIZER, to a WC function, Sharlene! C'mon, you're gonna love it!


From COOKIE BOWIE, came the disappointing news that she won't be with us in October. But there's a bit of an upside to this, folks! Cookie won't be here because ---get this!---she's going to Arizona to visit with JUDI BECKETT! Now, we all know Judi is a member of our 1960 class, too. So I suggested the two of them get together and come to the alumni gig during their visit. I just thought that sounded like a great idea, don't you? We're not giving up on you, Cookie. We all just LOVED having you at Florida Spring Fest and you added SO much fun to the festivities, so please don't write us off, just yet, ok?


As always, Bruce and I maintain very steady contact and I also think he retains all of my bulletins in his computer, which is something I don't do. So if any of you miss them, accidentally delete them or whatever, let me know and I'll hook you up with Bruce. Before I forget, Bill Howard sent me a postal request to mail bulletins to EVELYN JEAN HOLLINGER. Do you all remember her? I do. I sent her the last grouping, just this past week.


We still haven't heard the update on the Colorado Springs vacation of THOMAS L. WOLF, JR., and his wife, Susan. So Tom, how did that go? Do you love Colorado? I have to confess, I really don't, but I don't mind visiting from time to time. We hope you've safely returned. Listen, gang, I need more notes, more news, more tidbits. Let's get with it, hear? Tell me about your kids, grandkids, vacations, plans, illnesses, operations, etc., okay? As I keep telling you, I can't do this on my own. Without all of you, I'm dead in the water, and that's the end of the bulletins! YOU are the ones who make this work and the ones who keep the wheels turning, by sending me your messages and news. Thanks.


So that pretty much winds up the news for this edition of the WECATON NEWS REPORT. (Thanks again, Gary Barnes, for thinking up that wonderful and nostalgic name for our bulletins. I just love it!) All of you take due care, live carefully, wear your seat belts, and look forward to our WC functions, please. With that, I leave you all with my usual wish for glowing health, great happiness, peaceful serenity, and boundless prosperity. Ciao!





Powered by Blogger