.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Monday, August 23, 2004
 
WECATON NEWS REPORT!!!-- 23 August 2004

---Well, folks, I did it again! I've been sitting here typing since about 7:15, intermittently. About an hour ago, I threw up my hands in disgust, ready to abandon all effort. You see, I had about 6 pages typed this time, and once again, I hit a wrong button. It wasn't a power outage this time. It was more like a "Bonnie outage." Anyway, all the text disappeared and I thought I would cry. But I didn't. So I'm back again, after an inspiring, spirit-lifting, windy chat with one of my favorite folks in the world, EULA FAYE BAILEY, and I'm going to make every effort to recapture the text. If I work quickly, I'll remember more.

Obviously, the first thing I'll cover is the aftermath of Florida's Hurricane Charley. He paid us a visit, yes, he did! (But it was but a tropical storm at my place.) I've been here for just over 27 years now and am somewhat of "an old pro" at the hurricane thing, even though my exact area has NEVER suffered a direct hit. I didn't get one this time, either. But that's okay, I had all I wanted with just the tropical storm force.

All day on Friday, I trimmed branches, tied down all of my deck furniture, and put away any potential, flying missiles so that I wouldn't have to run outside for anything I might have missed. I had jugs of water, 25-30 gallons of gas (or about $23 worth, for which I had to PAY $59!), about $1500 worth of groceries (in case neighbors lost their food and were hungry) and my ace in the hole, a generator. My husband and grandson were accounted for and we hunkered down to ride it out. It was simply awesome to see the power of Mother Nature, so up close and personal, even as scary as it was. The trees bent sideways, even at windspeeds of only 44 mph. The winds howled, rain flew sideways in solid and blinding sheets and flying debris pelted various points on the outer wall of the house, none of which did any discernible damage. But that is because my house is aged (1963) and is built like an old castle with solid terrazzo floors, real marble, 1 1/2"- thick (literally) real plaster walls, fire walls between each room, steel braces in every corner, the concrete blocks are all filled with re-bar and concrete, studs are 12" apart throughout, and I've got enough lumber holding up my attic to construct another house. So I felt "structurally secure," to say the very least.

Now and then, winds would get up to the 50s and a couple of times into the 60s. I've long been an avid thunderstorm fan, so I was mesmerized by this whole thing, believe me. It was, in the truest sense of the word, incredible. Of course, you've all now read the first-hand account of SANDRA L. BARSALOU (1958), who was in far greater peril than I and mine. You'll never hear the next part from the media. We didn't HAVE a hurricane here in Ormond Beach. The storm lost half its strength before it reached my county and half of it again, before it reached Ormond Beach. I'm not complaining, mind you, it was all I wanted.

At 9:30, I sent out the blanket message to all of you. One hour later, my power failed and did not return until exactly 10:30 last night precisely 3 days. But I suffered a senior moment and told a lot of people it was 4 days. Apologies! I'm old and I exaggerate, sometimes. As the power failed for good, I realized I'd forgotten to put out my candles and also to put fresh batteries in all of my flash- lights. "Oh, no!" I groaned. But with the stealth and familiarity one achieves from living in exactly the same house for so many years, I wound my way through the maze in the pitch dark, reached up on a book shelf, and encircled my hand around a glass-clad candle, which had been sent to me at Christmastime, by none other than NANCY E. "COOKIE" BOWIE (1960), and when I lit it, it provided me with my first glimpse of candlelight, to see me through the storm. We immediately cranked up our generator and plugged in our big freezer and garage fridge, which are side by side, along with the fridge of the neighbors on either side. We were also blessed to be able to use a light or two, a small TV and a couple of fans.

No, it was no fun, being "rustic." When you are that uncomfortable, when it's rainy and damp, when you can't escape it, when you feel so unclean and grimy, and when your house is in utter disarray with cords and lamps and phones and pillows and blankets everywhere, you just want to scream. We had some tenuous moments, but pulled through. When my power was restored, I did a few essentials, then came to check my e-mail, which had so long been neglected. To my utter amazement, I had no less than 45 messages from WC people who were concerned with my welfare. What a crew! You're all so wonderful and I can scarcely wait to see you, come October. It's impossible for me to name every single one of you especially after wiping out such a long message, but I'll forever remember each and every single one of you. I even had long-distance calls from across the country---Alabama (L. EUGENE ZINK), Ohio (JOANN K. STEMLEY)---and so many more, I don't even have the space to list or else I'd be here all night long. I even had offers from my many non-WC friends, an awfully lot of whom are people I know as a result of my 20 consecutive years of attending the Sturgis Rally & Races in South Dakota (1982-2001 and what a hoot!) So it's been very rewarding and heartwarming to be so well-connected and so well-received. It truly did touch me deeply and I thank you, one and all.

Once the dust had cleared, I "surveyed my kingdom" and found one stretch of facia (sp?) board hanging from the corner, which has already been repaired, and one string of wire from my security system (which still works) had come out of its "tuck-in." There was debris all over my yard, of course, but all neighbors pitched in and everyone helped everyone clear out all the stuff. I had just survived the strongest storm I've ever endured in Florida in over 27 years, and it wasn't even very bad. I wondered if I could EVER survive a REAL hurricane.

From DELORES K. "DEDE" FAHRNEY (1960) came a report from Florida's "left side." DeDe had to evacuate and returned to a totally in-tact home, I'm happy to report. She drove through Punta Gorda, she wrote, where her former home also survived. The home which had been owned by her brother, RICHARD A. FAHRNEY (1958), had also survived quite nicely, she wrote. DeDe is now living in Pinellas Park (Pinellas County) and Dick now lives out in Colorado. So we're all happy for DeDe's good fortune. But we are NOT happy that she writes she may not be with us at the alumni gig in October. She says she can't get time off work. Well, DeDe, we just HAVE to fix that, some way or other. Can we even HAVE the alumni gig, with no Fahrneys? Send us your brother, at least, or your dad, if we can't have you. Also, please make sure you're with us, come next year, okay?

Let us all not forget GARY E. BARNES (1959) is busily arranging a golf outing for October 8. Get with Gary at his e-mail address ( patgary@sbcglobal.net ) at your earliest convenience, please, and tell him of your interest. By now, you're all aware of my goof with the website. I put in an extra "s" and made the word plural. I hope all of you were able to decipher the correcting e-mail I sent and thanks to THERESA MOSES (1958?) for being the first to let me know about that. A few others did, as well. My contacts with alumni worker, JUNE CRUTCHFIELD (1958) have been very upbeat and she's working hard for us all. Get those forms downloaded now and get them sent to her! Look who's talking! I haven't sent in my own form yet! However, I actually HAVE mailed (postally) about 16 of them to people I fear may not be on the list. Many thanks, by the way, to 1965's STEVEN F. SHADE, who posted the reservation form on the very day I sent out the last bulletin, in order to accommodate us all.

PAUL R. BEARDSLEY (1961) keeps me well-informed on my old homestead, Miami Shores. You have no idea how much I appreciate that, Paul...I hang on every word. NINA F. KNISLEY sent me an AOL card and there were many who sent forwardings of jokes, notices, chain letters, etc, who included LARRY D. GILBERT (1961) STEVEN M. KOKOT (1960), ROBERT W. "SMITTY" SMITH (1958), SUE E. SOWERS (1958), PAMELA K. SHIPLEY (1971), JANET L. WALTERS (1961), LINDA J. SNELL (1960), and SANDRA L. BARSALOU (1958). We're glad to know that you're all alive and well We'd also enjoy some tidbits on your family and activities.

From RICHARD D. WELLS (help, Rick, I don't know your class year), who now lives on Florida's "left coast," came an alarming report of a recent severe injury to his back. I know we all wish him well and hope for a speedy, full recovery. Aside from the obvious, we will be needing your presence in Ohio, come October, Rick! You didn't say anything about Hurricane Charley on your side, Rick, so I presume you emerged unscathed.

We have had a bit a of a tragedy among us, folks, and I'm going to share this with all of you in the fervent hope that my classmate and friend won't mind. We can all give him and his wife some moral support. The grandson of our former classmate, CURTIS A. KEMP, was shot through the head on August 1. This happened at a little afternoon party which went awry, apparently. No one yet knows all the details.

In any case, this boy is the firstborn grandchild of Curtis and wife Maria and they are extremely close to him. He's but 20 years old. He lost a portion of his brain and his right eye. Bone structure prevents replacement of the eye, at this time. The loss of some brain tissue has affected his actions somewhat. But I just spoke at length yesterday with Maria, who spent the day with him at the hospital in Melbourne. He is doing much better now, she told me. So let's get together and get off a few of those "cheer-'em-up" messages to the Kemps and let them know we're all pulling for them and their grandson. The e-mail address is ( kyoshi@cfl.rr.com ) and the postal mailing address is as follows: M/m Curtis A. Kemp, 2141 Palomino Drive, Titusville, Florida 32796 Telephone 321 267-4241. Get out that card, make that call, make that visit, send that message! Let's all show support for one of our own. You will be SO glad you did!
We're all pulling for you and your grandson (and his mother), Curtis and Maria! Please keep us posted.

Curtis, by the way, is so excited about the October week -end, he's already asked to be seated with his two old friends, EDGARD L. KELLY and AARON COUCH. He says he just can't wait to see them both. We all can't wait to see you, too, Curtis!

Even as I type, 1960's WILLIAM O. WALKER, and his honorary WC wife KAREN MURPHY are doing claims in Florida, from Hurricane Charley. They telephoned me over the weekend, as they were en route from their Texas home. Ironically, they'd just had their own claim from some water damage to their home. So I'll soon be seeing the Walkers, as they wind their way through Florida. We're all keeping our fingers crossed about the storms this year. Last year, a Carolina storm kept them from joining us in October.

In other impending visits and travels, I'm expecting to soon see PATRICIA LYNNETTE GARRETT (1961), who will be in Florida. Lynn and I have great chats and do a lot of reminiscing, so I'm really looking forward to her visit. Also, over the weekend, I got a call from two others of the 1961 class, GARY R. FRANK and ROBERT W. BRANE. These two guys have apparently been buddies for life and they recently arrived in Dunedin, Florida. They're going to comb the state for a suitable place to purchase, in order to escape the Ohio winters, at their separate leisures, and also to wine and dine the ladies while they are here.

Bob has been to 7 of our Bike Week events and Gary has also spent some time in Florida, already having a place here. But they called ME to offer to drive over here and give me a hand with anything I might need done, after the storm, to take me anywhere I might need to go, or bring me anything I might need. I was just touched, by such a magnanimous gesture. Isn't that terrific? Thank you both, SO much! Bob and Gary will be here for 4-6 weeks, during which we'll be getting together for a visit. They will then return to Ohio for our alumni weekend.

Betwee1961's JANET L. WALTERS, DONNA J. RICHARDS, and SALLY L. GILLETTE, we were able to determine that I had my "S" islands all fouled up and that you, PAULA WILSON, are just fine. It seems that Paula is on Singer Island, not Sanibel Island. So she's just fine. We're all happy about that, Paula, and I know you are, too. That "s" letter gives me a lot of problems, doesn't it?
Janet and Donna have been doing some painting, it seems, in Janet's bathroom. Janet says Donna is quite good at that. You should hire out, Donna! People who do beautiful house-painting are qutie difficult to find. At least that's been MY experience!

My dear friend, BRUCE E. CHENOWETH (1958) and I, are just crushed. His Oldsmobile has arrived, but even in the shape it's in, we can't take our ride in this year. It's going to be next year. We'll simply have to hang on, I guess. But I'll be so thrilled to see YOU again, Bruce, I won't think about the car. But I'll sure anticipate 2005!


JUDY M. FRANTZ (1961) sent a lovely message of concern and I've also recently spoken with DEVONA S. TAYLOR. Everyone is so excited this year about our weekend. June tells me she's already getting returns on the forms and I know she's pleased (as we all are) that we aren't having the problems we did, last year. Those problems, by the way, were NOT the fault of our alumni committee and I want to make that quite clear. But it's 2004 now, and all is well.

MICHAEL S. WEST (1960) and I are keeping up a running exchange and I've sadly learned that Mike's elderly mother has recently broken her leg very badly (not that there's any GOOD way to do that, it's just that it's a very complicated break and more severe than normal, he reports.) So Mike is now in Ohio, attending to her needs and whatever else he might be able to do. He says her general health is so poor that the doctors think the trauma of the broken leg may be insurmountable for her. Let's hope that's not the case. Keep us posted, Mike!

WILLIAM R. HOWARD (1958) and I are keeping up a similar running exchange and we have valiantly tried to solve what I've come to call, "The Melzoni Mystery." Poor Tom Melzoni! I say that, not knowing (or even caring) which one it is to whom I refer. The poor guy just wanted to be on the bulletin list. But when I went to add him to my master list, I found there was more than one. (Was there, EVER!) In order to be perfectly accurate---and you all know by now, how picky I have to be about precise names---I tried to get Tom's. One of them turned up for the 1963 class, the 1970 class, the 1977 class, and we think the 4th one is in the 1980s. In any case, folks, we heartily welcome aboard THOMAS MELZONI, JR., who is a member of the 1970 class. We hope you won't think things are ALWAYS this complicated, Tom, and that you will join us in October.

Since the storm, I have heard nothing from ROBERTA A. RICE (1960) who's on Florida's west coast, nor from DARELL L. TOBIAS (1957) who's in the center part. Are you both okay? Also, I understand that 1961's RICHARD G. DENNY and spouse LIELA K. GEORGE (1962) own a home in Punta Gorda, which was hard-hit. We hope for the best for you, Dick and Liela. Let us know, please.

Does anyone have an update on HAROLD PHILLIPS? I happen to know, as previously mentioned, that Eddie Kelly will be champing at the bit to see Harold. Can we get him rounded up, so that he's at the alumni gig. How about a hand from you on that, ERCELL P. PHILLIPS? Let's reconnect two old high school pals, okay?

From MARIAN K. HUSSEY (1967) came a wonderful and newsy e-mail and she also makes reference to her 1960 spouse, PHILLIP D. HOWARD. We look forward to seeing both of you in October, Marian, and many thanks for your e-mail. Marian's schoolteacher sister had just moved to Florida and got kicked out of her apartment because of the storm evacuations. Welcome to Florida! I wonder if she's having second thoughts?

Sally Gillette and I have had quite a number of exchanges and we have talked a good bit about the handsome new grandson, Misha Isaac, and also about Misha's father, MARK WARLAUMONT (1979?), who recently had a successful medical procedure. NANCY J. SWEEN (1961) continues to work hard for us all and I keep trying to pry her out of Kansas, but there doesn't seem to be any chance for this year. Nancy is devoted to husband, home, and hearth, and there's sure nothing wrong with any of that. But we'll all miss you, Nancy and we appreciate all you do for all of us. I've recently also spoken with CHARLES A. "BUD" LOWMAN (1960). Bud is doing well and we all will see him in October, he has assured me.

WILLIAM L. MCNABB (1954) continues to toil away at the 1954 50th reunion. Once again, Bill, let us know if we can help in any way or if there is anyone we can help you find. We sure do wish that class a wonderful weekend, as we do all classes who are celebrating "marker years."

EDNA L. GRAY (1961) pleads with us all to be kind to the postal service from which she is retired. No problem, Edna! As I explained, I'm an ardent fan of the postal service. Remember, my own daughter is a letter carrier.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed for our wonderful EULA FAYE BAILEY (1960). She's still having some problems with that shoulder. As you know, we won't have NEARLY as wonderful a function without her. In fact, I'm unsure that Bruce and I can even go ON without you Eula Faye! So you take care of that shoulder, hear?

Many thanks to 1969's KAREN L. THROCKMORTON for sending in the notice about their 35th runion. I've disbursed that notice to all of you, so please read it very carefully. GERALD A. FULLER (1960) and wfie Becky are whiling away the summer at their place in Kentucky. They'll be with us in October and then will head back to Florida for the winter. Jerry will be playing in the golf tourney, by the way. While in Kentucky, they've visiting family and friends and enjoying their houseboat. We have yet another Fuller member on board and we welcome Jerry's sister, LYNDA A. FULLER (1968). Some of you may recall that Lynda was at the alumni gig last year. We hope to see you again this year, Lynda! DONNA J. TUDOR (1955) reports that's she's already sent in her reservation form while cousin JUDITH L. SAMUELS says she's till unsure as to her attendance. BEVERLY J. HAAS (1960) is remaining in Alpine, California, where she still does web pages for us all.

It has taken me two days to do this one, due to losing all that text in the aftermath of yesterday's storm, while I hit the wrong button. But the important thing is, it's done. So I leave you all with my usual wish for glowing health, great happiness, peaceful serenity and boundless prosperity. Ciao!

---And there you have it! More at 11---
Bonnie




Powered by Blogger