.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Thursday, September 09, 2004
 
WECATON NEWS REPORT !!! -- 09 September 2004

We're between hurricanes, it's gray and overcast, I've got about a million e-mails from WC-ers, so why not? Since you have all read my report on Hurricane Frances, I guess I can tell you to hit the "instant replay" button, in the event that Hurricane Ivan comes calling. The projected track for him is now changed in such a way as to make it slightly better for my part of Florida, but it looks as though, either way, I'll be getting something from it. I'm ready, but this one's a really "bad guy" who has already killed 16 people and leveled 90% of the homes in Jamaica. I hope he turns out to sea, but that doesn't seem likely. Anyway, let's see what's going on with all of US, okay?

First of all, let's re-cap the plans for our weekend. On Friday, October 8, everyone who wishes (and we hope that's going to be many) will convene at 6 p.m., at the Moraine City Frisch's to attend what has come to be called the Frisch's Frolic. This will be the second year and it proved wildly popular, last year. It was the brainchild of 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST, who will be with us. Acting as our local liaison for this function is 1958's WILLIAM R. HOWARD. On the following night, October 9, we shall all convene at the Holiday Inn located by the Dayton Mall in Miamisburg, again at 6 p.m., in the big ballroom, to attend our crown jewel event, the annual alumni dinner/dance. I'm going to tell you to get those reservations sent quickly, while I scold mySELF for not yet having even sent my OWN! We've been sort of busy down my way, though, what with nailing window boards, putting on new roofs, and picking up debris. Be sure to include me in the count, June! I'll definitely be there, even if I have to hand-carry the money, after my plane lands.

For this news period, checking in with forwards, jokes, psa's, political humor, etc., we have 1971's PAMELA K. SHIPLEY, 1960's CAROLYN SUE MCCLOUD, 1961's JOHN L. MONTGOMERY along with his 1962 spouse, JUDY LYNN JAMES, 1960's GERALD A. FULLER, a set of spellbinding hurricane photos, courtesy of 1960's DELORES K. FAHRNEY, 1958's ROBERT W. SMITH and SUE E. SOWERS, 1961's PATRICIA LYNNETTE GARRETT, a newsy phone call on the 21st of August from 1957's DARELL L. TOBIAS, during which he told me of the devastation and damage of Hurricane Charley in his area. Where are you now, Darell? Are you okay? Hurricane Frances was worse, I know. Also checking in were 1961's SANDRA S. HOLLINGSWORTH, who has booked her flight and confirmed her attendance, 1960's HARRIET Z. RICE, GARY L. WARLAUMONT, RICHARD S. HOLT, and IDA JANE TREON. We've also heard from 1961's SALLY L. GILLETTE, 1958's SANDRA L. BARSALOU, and 1961's CAROL A. MUMMA. Checking in by telephone were 1960's CHARLES V. CARTER and DEVONA S. TAYLOR, both of whom have confirmed attendance. Dee will have spouse, EUGENE COUCH, in tow. We also anticipate and hope for brotherAARON COUCH, once again.

Roaming Florida is 1960's WILLIAM O. WALKER and WC-honorary spouse, KAREN MURPHY, who are processing insurance claims from their RV, as fast as they can. The latest message had them fleeing the wrath of Frances, but I suspect they may be back by now. Of course, they may have to leave again, in order to get away from Ivan!

Courtesy of 1958's WILLIAM R. HOWARD, we welcome to our list none other than RICHARD L. SCHINDLER. I'm so sorry, Dick, but I don't know your class year. I'd look it up, but I'm pressed for time, due to the ever-looming possibility of power outages. Are you also 1958? In any case, it's nice to have a Schindler on the list. It's right up there with Wolf, Wolfe, Treon, Throckmorton, McNabb, Mays, Shade, and all those other wonderful, historic WC families. I hope you will enjoy the bulletins.

Speaking of Wolf, I had a check-in from my 1960 class- mate, THOMAS L. WOLF, JR., whose son lives in South Carolina. How did your son do with his area during the storms, Tom? Did he have any damage or incidents?

Many thanks to SO many of you for your good wishes at the time of the already-passed storms. Originally, I had intentions of listing every one of you, but time prevents me from doing that. If I do, I won't EVER finish this one. You know who you are, and it actually did include most of you. Amazing! But I'm not really that surprised. After all, you're all WC-ers!

Mike West and I had quite a lively exchange about elderly parents and the challenges which are entailed in caring for them, during a period of life when WE suddenly are the parents. It brings back many memories. How is your mother doing, Mike?

The "mysterious" THOMAS MELZONI, JR., who is from 1970, I do believe, even checked in with a bit of humor on the "Melzoni mystery." We hope to see you in 4 weeks, Tom. Don't let us down!

We got a delightful and newsy e-mail from 1957's THERESA MARIE MOSES, whose spouse is TOM ELLIOTT and I think he's 1957, too. They are into the model train thing and belong to a chapter of Garden Railroad Club. Apparently, from the sound of it, they have a huge train running around their back yard, through a stream and a hill and the whole nine yards. It all sounds like great fun. I trust we will see you both next month? She also reports that 1957's DAVE SMITH and spouse have reserved for the alumni gig.

But as luck would have it, not all of Theresa's news was of a positive nature, unfortunately. I know I vividly recall 1957's BURMA JEAN PINKERTON. Sadly, she passed away on August 27. She was buried on August 30. Her last name, upon her death, was Shawver, and she lived in Dayton. She was survived by 5 children, her spouse, and 9 grandchildren. She was 65 years old. She died of a heart attack.

On a little better note, though, Theresa wrote that another of her classmates, ERCELL P. PHILLIPS' wife, Betty, was having a hip replacement, just about a week ago, and that she's doing fine. How's that coming along, Ercell? How about a report?

On August 18, SALLY GILLETTE flew down to Florida to meet first grandson, MISHA ISAAC WARLAUMONT, son of MARK WARLAUMONT (1977). Need I tell you that she reports he is absolutely a stunning, little guy?

L. EUGENE ZINK, (1960), was expecting some storms from Frances, at his Alabama home. How did that go, Gene? Did you all do okay? That storm covered almost the whole eastern half of the U.S.!

JANET L. WALTERS. Class of 1961, expressed some concern for all of us down here in Florida, as so many of you did, and she also made mention of PAULA WILSON. Thanks, DONNA J. RICHARDS! We have found out through her, that Paula is fine. Her place sustained a bit of damage, but nothing major, apparently.

On August 29, I believe it was, I drove up to Orange Park again to have a smashingly fun visit with Lynn Garrett, who was visiting again. We spent the entire afternoon rehashing all things WC and especially all; things Miami Shores. Lynn treated me to a rainy lunch, which we opted to make drier, by going inside. Thanks, Lynn. As always, we had a great time and she filled me in on the big 1961/1962 gathering at the home of CAROLE J. LEWIS, in Kentucky. I guess it was quite a gig! On the piror Thursday, my cousin, JUDITH L. SAMUELS, also drove up to see her, so it was a double-header.

NANCY J. ERTEL, 1961, sent me good wishes, but we still can't pry her out of Kansas. When I go west, I pass right through her Bonner Springs town. I guess I'll just have to stop there, next time, if I'm ever going to get to see her. Nancy's home was hit by lightning on August 27 and she was still awaiting power in two of her rooms.

Sandy Barsalou wrote that one hurricane was plenty, but that two was just too much. Wow, what do we do NOW, Sandy? It's going to be THREE! I'll bet you're going to move from Florida, aren't you?

RODNEY R. GABBARD, 1971, also checked in and we hope to see him next month, too!! I even got blips from ROBERTA A. RICE, 1960, and CAROLYN E. "TOOTIE" PENCE, 1958. We want to see ALL of you, hear? It seems that PAMELA K. SHIPLEY shares my love of storms. So do a few others. I guess if I'm crazy, I've got a lot of company! MADELEINE D. CAMPBELL, 1960, sent a few lines and cagily avoided saying whether or not she will be with us next month. So what's up?

PHILIP H. WOLFORD, 1960, checked in to say that he will not be with us. He has had a golfing award named in his honor, for the first year, ever, so he feels he must be there. I do hope this will be at a different time, come next year, Phil. Thanks, by the way, for the great magazine. Phil once again gifted me with a subscription renewal to Reminisce. I really like this magazine.

SHIRLEY ANN HILE (1957?) checked in to say that some friends were checking on damages on a house in Fort Myers. Shirley, are Judy and Jerry Dean people from WC? Shirley also remitted the bad news about Burma.

K. JUNE CRUTCHFIELD and spouse, JAMES E. RICHARDSON, 1958, continue to work hard on our alumni gig. I hope we have some neat, little surprises this year. One never knows. I also a long call from 1960's CHARLES A. HIGH, JR. He swears he will be with us this year and is very much looking forward to seeing the HAWKINS brothers. PAUL R. BEARDSLEY, 1961, promises to be with us this year, too. LARRY D. GILBERT, 1961, hasn't confirmed attendance yet. How about it, Larry? NANCY E. "COOKIE" BOWIE, 1960, expressed concern for brother-in-law, GARY D. MAYS, and sister, DONNA BOWIE, who live in DeLand, Florida. She was planning to call them. By the way, I am given to understand that the patriarch of the Mays clan, Oscar, has just turned 100 years old. Isn't that remarkable? On a much less pleasant note, I've also learned that KENNETH F. MAYS, 1952, has been diagnosed with cancer. Let's all pull for the best for Kenny.

WILLIAM L. MCNABB, 1954, continues to work diligently on the 50th for his class. He expressed concern for water damage to my considerable collection of yearbooks. But they were well-protected. Does anyone know where 1954's PRUDIE THOMPSON is? If so, please get with Bill. Her invitation was returned.

MARGIE LOU MILTON, 1958, are you there? I had the wrong e-mail address for you. Folks, please remember this. If a long period of time passes, and you haven't gotten a bulletin, then something is wrong. Contact me!GARY L. SIZER, 1959, we want to see you this year at the alumni gig, hear?

Apparently, 1958's BRUCE E. CHENOWTH, has renewed his interest in golf. He reports that he played at Jamaica Run, just recently. DeDe Fahrney continues to try to get some definitive info on whether or not we had yearbooks for the years ranging from 1926-1931. If anyone can find out, it's DeDe!

CURTIS A. KEMP and I have spoken off and on. He'll be with us next month. I'm sure hoping to see you, too, EDNA L. GRAY. Is there any chance you can get FLOSSIE to join us? JO ANN K. STEMLEY, I'd better be seeing you next month! DONNA J. TUDOR, 1955, has already sent in her reservation. How about you, SHIRLEY? GARY E. BARNES, 1959, will be with us this year, too.

We've also found HAROLD PHILLIPS for EDGAR L. KELLY. Harold will be joining us, too, Welcome aboard, Harold, and thank you, Ercell. We hope to see KAREN L. THROCKMORTON, 1969, also. JUDY M. FRANTZ, you'd better get the days off you will need, in order to be with us.
Of course, I always have to save a bit of the best for last and I am thrilled to report that the gracious, charming, lovely EULA FAYE BAILEY, has now confirmed attendance. So that means we can actually move forward with this function. I wasn't too sure we could have it, if she wasn't there.

So with that, I guess I'll get back to my hurricane preparations. Once again, keep your fingers crossed for all who are in the path of Hurricane Ivan. I leave you all with my usual wish for glowing health, great happiness, peaceful serenity, and boundless prosperity, Ciao!




Powered by Blogger