.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Wednesday, October 13, 2004
 
WECATON NEWS REPORT!!!---ALUMNI WEEKEND, PART 1---13 December 2004

Wow, how does it all come and go, so quickly? Here I am again, back home in Florida. Only yesterday evening, I was touring the lovely home of LYNN GARRETT and her spouse, Frank. How did it all end so quickly? But I digress! (Don't I, always?)

Anyway, as it came time to depart, I was more excited than I can ever write in here. Words are surely inadequate for expressing the the great anticipation I had, along with many other of our classmates. I arose at the crack of dawn on that day, even though my plane didn't leave until 5:20 p.m. But I had to deliver my grandson for his same-day, 11:35 a.m. flight to Denver, so I spent the entire day at the Orlando Aiport (which just happens to have a complete shopping mall and a full-service food court. I've never seen anything like this and was simply amazed!)

Just prior to my departure, though, I had received a few e-mails to be shared with everyone. For instance, there was one from DELORES K. "DEDE" FAHRNEY, Class of 1960, who assured me that she would miss us all, just as we missed her. She conveyed fondest regards to all of us and told us her father, A. EMERSON FAHRNEY, Class of 1933, would be there to represent the Fahrney name. Indeed, he was. He and I had a pleasant chat. I can tell you, though, that you were missed, DeDe. We do all hope you'll make it, next year.

Later that day, came an e-mail from MADELEINE D. CAMPBELL, Class of 1960, in which she told me she was still in Ohio, at a time when she would normally have already come down to Lady Lake, Florida, for the winter season. But Madeleine's husband was ill and she was remaining longer this year, likely due to his medical needs and wanting to remain with the same doctor. I had so hoped to coax Madelein to join us, but alas, she was not with us, either. We sure hope you'll be able to put it all together for next year, Madeleine!

Also doing a last-minute check-in was 1957's DARELL L. TOBIAS, who assured that he and his cousin, 1961's JAMES E. CURTIS, would be joining us for the weekend of festivities. Indeed, they did, although Jim came only to the Frisch's Frolic, but Darell attended both of the evening events. Darell and I will likely connect, later in the week here in Florida, as the 2004 Biketoberfest Rally is set to begin on October 15.

Big efforts were made to include our former marching band director, HARRY C. HAGGERTY. However, I guess the notice was just too abrupt or perhaps he was not up to attending. In any case, I heartily thank 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST and L. EUGENE ZINK, both of whom telephoned me, just prior to my departure, and also to 1959's GARY E. BARNES, upon whom I can ALWAYS depend for whatever WC effort arises in that area. In any case, Mr. Haggerty is now aware that we all would love to see him at our events and that he is terribly welcome. So let's all pull for next year to see him, okay?

At 6 a.m., on the morning of departure, I did one more check on my e-mail and found a message from 1961's GAIL DAUBENDICK. Gail was diagnosed in mid-2003 with non-Hodgkins lymphoma. She was cancer-free, she wrote, until just recently when more problems were found with lymph nodes. However, her progrnosis is good. We all need to "do our thing," once again, and get those cards in the mail for Gail, so that she knows we're all pulling for her. So let's get busy with that, shall we? Here are the vitals: Gail D. Hudson, 4593 Hannaford Street, Dayton, Ohio 45439 (Phone 937 298-2356). We all wish you the very best, Gail, and remember that you have many "Pirate fingers" crossed for you. But here's the very best news of all, folks. Remember my former 1960 classmate, WILLIAM M. ROHLER, for whom I so diligently searched for years? Well, as many of you may recall, he and Gail were high school sweethearts. When Gail found out about the passing of Bill's wife, she called him to offer her condolences. She wrote that they talked for more two hours!! Isn't that just wonderful? I do so hope that you and Bill have solid plans to visit each other, Gail, as life is way too short to allow one shred of happiness to bypass us. Please keep us posted on your health, too.

We had also expected to see the "mystery man," 1970's THOMAS MELZONI, JR., but you didn't show, Tom. Why not? As is written in all the bulletins, the alumni weekend has always been held on the second Saturday of October with the accompanying events being held on the day before and the day after. The dinner/dance is the centerpiece for everything we do. According to my calculations, the 2005 event should be held on October 8, but I shall await "offical confirmation" from 1958's K. JUNE CRUTCHFIELD and her same-class spouse, JAMES E. RICHARDSON. So try to include your old alma mater in your itinerary next year, Tom.

Let's all make a pointed effort to put this function FIRST in our formerly-WC lives, folks. Attending a WC event is NOT something which should be treated as "second choice." As the year passes, and that will be quickly, keep an eye to the calendar, please. Should something arise for that weekend, you don't say, "Oh, gee, I can't attend the alumni weekend now." No, no, no!! That's not the correct response. What you should be saying is, "That event sounds just great, but the second weekend of October is committed to my high school alumni, FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!! I'm very sorry, but if you ever change the timing for this event, let me know. Perhaps I can then participate." Got that? So let's establish the new battle cry for 2005, right now, shall we? We did great with, "Just One More For 2004." So now, we look ahead to 2005. How about, "Keep The Party Alive For 2005?" We just keep adding more and more people. Pretty soon, we're going to need the Astrodome! Let's all focus on that!

Also received was a message from a 1985 alumnus named CYNTHEA POTEET. However, to my knowledge I don't believe she was there. We need to foster more interest from our 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s classes. I know that, and so does Gary Barnes. But I just think not enough years have passed yet, for them. We're beginning to see a larger concentration of 1970s folks now, and the late1960s, too. That's gratifying. Let's keep working! Together, we can accomplish anything!

As I set out on my air flight to Dayton, I was filled with anticipation, and wondering who would show and always remembering how wonderful everyone looked, at all of these events. I think there was something "in the water" during those wonderful days, I really do. My flight was on time, to the minute, and when I finally wound my way out to baggage pick-up, there sat my dear friend, 1958's BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, awaiting my arrival. We got my bags and walked out to the parkiing lot, when "What to my wondering eyes should appear,--" but a shining black 1956 Oldsmobile 88, in spectacular shape. As Bruce cranked over the starter, I heard those Hollywood mufflers and was suddenly transported back in time. As I grinned from ear to ear, we were suddenly riding down to the sock hop in Lebanon, once again.

We went to the Germantown home of 1961's PATRICIA LYNNETTE GARRETT, where I picked up her beautiful GMC Yukon GT, which she so graciously lent to me for the duration of my stay. We chatted briefly, but Lynn had just returned from Florida that day, herself, so she was weary, so was I, and we left shortly. Bruce and I had planned on a late supper at the historic Florentine Hotel, but finding it closed, we continued back to Miamisburg and had our late supper, anyway, at a place called Bullwinkle's. We were both anticipating a fun and wonderful weekend and we weren't to be disappointed. We parted around 11, knowing we'd be seeing each other off and on, all weekend, which we did. I proceeded to the Englewood home of my sister, 1956's JUDY A. RISNER, where I almost literally collapsed and fell asleep. I was hoping I wouldn't be that weary, for the entire weekend. Little did I know!

On the following morning, I and my sister headed over to my beloved Miami Shores. I drove every single street at about 3 miles per hour, looking at every home, recalling the names of every person I knew, who had lived in each and every house. The conversation was something like, "Remember that house? Judy Hickman lived there," and "Oh, there's where Tom Fee lived and there's where Charlie High lived," and, "Hey, that was the Hawkins boys' house." Then, "Oh, look, the old Elter house is still there!" and, "I remember going to Brownie meetings at that house. It used to belong to Helen Ary," and, "Oh, my gosh! There's Jerry Fuller's old place. His folks lived there for 60-odd years. I'll bet we all went to dozens of parties there." It was a wonderful experience for me and I stretched it out into about 3 hours, not missing even one street. (T. BARRY RUSSELLO, I can just hear you groaning, right now. Ha!) I also drove all through Moraine City, Miamisburg, and downtown Dayton. I love doing that, each and every time I come up there for this event. I have such warm and fuzzy memories of Miami Shores, my old homestead, and that will never change for me.

However, there is one thing which must change, and right now. This old bag of bones is worn to a frazzle and I'm going to sleep in my own bed tonight, for the first time since October 6, so I'm signing off or now and will try to get out a second installment in the next day or two. But remember, we're right at the beginning of a huge annual motorcycle rally here, so once I rejuvenate, I just may respond to, "the call of the wild." As I always do, I leave you all with my wish for glowing health, great happiness, peaceful serenity, and boundless prosperity. Ciao!

---And there you have it! More at 11--- B




Powered by Blogger