.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Thursday, October 21, 2004
 
WECATON NEWS REPORT!! --- ALUMNI WEEKEND PART 3
---The wrap-up! Okay, you tell me! How on earth did I not mention the presence, at the alumni dinner, of my very own classmate, DOROTHY J. WILLMAN, and her 1958 spouse, VINCENT A BRODBECK? See! I told you'd I'd miss lots of people. Please accept my apology, Vince & Dottie, for I somehow just know you're going to wind up reading this, one way or another. This ageless couple, folks, always attend every alumni dinner/dance We need lots more alumni like Vince and Dottie! Then there's also an apology for a 1955 (I think) alumnus, VERNON SCARBOROUGH. He came to me by way of 1955's DONNA J. TUDOR. Thanks, Donna! Listen, you all, I'm quite serious about letting me know about names who weren't mentioned. When we mention people, it makes them realize that they matter, that we care about them, and that we want them to be there. It's a form of recognition we all seek, so send those names to me, please!

After crawling home from the alumni gig, I just knew I'd never be able to arise the following day. But yes, I did. I dashed over to the Bob Evans Restaurant in Englewood to meet for "the annual brunch." Although I invited my sister and brother-in-law, they opted out. Upon arrival, I greeted CHARLES V. CARTER and his wife, Pam. Also seated was MICHAEL S. WEST. We took a table and were soon joined by BRUCE E. CHENOWETH.

The chatter was lively and non-stop, as we all talked about the events and what fun they'd been and how we couldn't wait until next year. You see, we were awaiting the arrival of our official WC glamour pair, T. BARRY RUSSELLO and spouse, 1959's BETSY R. MURPHY. After about 30 minutes, they arrived, and I can assure you that they did not disappoint. Do they, ever? As I've said many times, they hold the fashion banner high, for us all. I appreciate that, because I'm not much for the glamour thing.

After 2 1/2 hours of sitting there and sharing a late brunch and chattering and enduring those, "are-you-ever- going-to-leave?" looks from the server (whom we hand- somely tipped, by the way), we all convened in the outer parking lot, hovering around Bruce's gorgeous 1956 Olsdmobile 88. Did we take photos with it? Did we, ever!! Bruce put Betsy on the front fender and all of us where hanging on a door or a window somewhere. It was the greatest fun!

Barry, Betsy, and Mike finally had to leave. But Bruce brought his car to my sister's and visited for a while longer, as did Pam and Charles. By about 2:30, though, we had to call it a day. Everyone had things to do and we were all worn to a frazzle. We'd forgotten that we'd gotten old. Ha!

But the fun wasn't quite over for ME! The very next day, I headed down to Miami Shores to the airport there, which ironically sets right on the spot where I was raised, and I met SHIRLEY J. TUDOR there. We have a mutual friend who just happens to have his own private plane (John Combs) and he had offered to fly us down to Cincinnati that day for a farewell lunch, can you imagine!

As Shirley and I awaited his arrival from the sky, we talked of all the fun we'd had as kids, walking across the dam over which we would soon by flying, daring fate. As we chatted, we soon saw John land the plane and we boarded and away we went. I looked at lots of things from up there in the sky, like that dam and Shirley's house and the old WC stadium, at what they now call, "the middle school."

We arrived in Cincinnati, hoofing it across the street to a very fancy restaurant, where John picked up the tab. He was terribly gracious. Back we went to the plane and back to the Miami Shores airport. I'd managed, once again, to overcome my fear of flying. Of course, John was also a very competent pilot, I might add, and a very gracious host. So now, it was truly over. Shirley and I rode around a bit in my car (well, okay, Lynn's SUV) and then called it a day.

Yes, it was now truly over. That evening, I headed down to the lovely Germantown home of LYNNETTE GARRETT to return her vehicle, which she and Frank had so graciously lent to me. Lynn and I had a good visit, too, before my sister and brother-in-law came to get me. I went back to her house and packed and they took me to the airport the following morning. My husband met me at baggage pick-up at 11:00 and I couldn't help but wonder where the days had gone. It all seemed like one, big, ethereal dream. But it had been so wonderful, and I had so many great memories again, I knew it hadn't been. So now, what am I doing? Well, that fact is, I'm getting ready to return to Dayton, this time, via I-75, and this time, with my husband. We'll likely leave tomorrow, but at the very latest, by Friday morn, it appears. So I may just knock on your door, you never know about me.
Let's all get busy on next year's alumni weekend right now. Let's remember our new battle cry, "Keep The Party Alive For 2005!"

There are MANY who disappointed me by not attending. Where WERE you? You all know who you were, I'm sure. Some of you have already written to tell me why you weren't there, but honestly, there is but one person who had a really legit reason. Let's not let this happen, folks. Make sure you're there, hear? As I've written so many previous times, alumni weekend gets to be FIRST, not just an afterthought. Don't forget that. I'll do another, regular bulletin when I return from Ohio. Try not to send me too many e-mails until after about October 30-31. I don't want my system to back up. In the meantime, I leave you with my usual wish for glowing health, great happiness, peaceful serentiy, and boundless prosperity. Ciao!
---And there you have it! More at 11--- B




Powered by Blogger