.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Wednesday, October 20, 2004
 
WECATON NEWS REPORT!!---Frisch's Frolic, Part 2

Just Thursday, had been great fun, riding all over the area and seeing all the things I get to see each year. But I knew, as the weekend shifted into first gear, it would just get better and better and better. My anticipation would prove to be worth the wait and I wasn't wrong.

Although I did not attend, I got a report on the WC Golf Tourney and I'm under the impression that it was held at a place called the Mound Golf Course. I'm fairly sure of that, although it wasn't officially confirmed. In any case, it was orchestrated by 1959's GARY E. BARNES, and the word is that it will now also become a permanent part of our alumni weekend. By the way, all you lady golfers out there, Gary is looking for some WC women to play in this event, so get in contact with him if you're interested. He says there were no female participants this year, but that was NOT what he wanted.

Please take note that we have now evolved into what is called, "WC Alumni Weekend." I'm being very careful NOT to use the term, "reunion," as that is NOT what it is, truly. That term (reunion) denotes a specific class year and the alumni gig is a non-exclusive event, held for the benefit of any and all who have ever trod a WC hallway. Also, as we now know, it is an event which is held annually on the second Saturday of October. Basically, what that means to all of us is this: If you are receiving this bulletin, then you are, "booked for life" for the second Saturday of October, as well as its preceding Friday and its succeeding Sunday. Do NOT make other plans for that weekend, as you will already HAVE plans. It's not as though you don't know when it is. Alumni weekend should be FIRST on your list of things to do that weekend and should not be knocked out of top priority for ANYthing else---not babysitting, not other parties, not golfing, not other trips, nothing!!! Do we finally have that squared away? I certainly hope so.

Anyway, back to the WC golfing report! Participating in the event, aside from Gary, were also 1960's GERALD A. FULLER and MONTY ESTEP, as well as 1958's BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, RONALD D. "TOM" FEE,
and LEONARD F. KUHN, 1961's GARY R. FRANK, who brought a friend whose name was not conveyed, and JOHN L. MONTGOMERY. My report says that you had to leave after 9 holes, John. But apparently, all the others played 18 holes. Anyway, Gary says the following, and this is a direct quote: "I can tell you this. Not one ball was lost and our scores were so good that we decided not to tell, because people wouldn't believe them, anyway. After we finished, we had such a good time, sitting outside the clubhouse, having a few drinks, and telling stories on each other and others. A good time was had by all, and we plan to do it again next year. Hopefully, we will have more golfers. Remember, this is not just a guy thing. Women were/are also invited to play." Gary goes on to write, "This is my report and I'm sticking to it. You (he meant 1958 classmate WILLIAM R. HOWARD) and Bonnie can make up whatever you want from here. Gary."

Well, that's a great report, Gary, and we all thank you so much for sharing that with us. Of course, as we all know, there is absolutely NO CHANCE of exaggeration or a small stretch of the truth on ANYthing a golfer says about golf scores. It's right up there with what anglers say about the size of their catches, isn't it? I thought so! In any case, we're all glad you guys got together and we know this is going to grow into a mammoth, annual happening.

Just look what has happened with the annual Frisch's Frolic, which just had its second year. What a winning idea you formulated with THAT function, MICHAEL S. WEST, Class of 1960!! Yes, the evening brought about our "warm-up event," of the Second Annual WC Frisch's Frolic," which was held---where else?---at our old haunt of the Moraine City Frisch's. How many times did we all drive around that parking lot, over and over and over and over, until we were nearly dizzy. But we just had to be "seen" there.

There were always some amusing incidents, too, such as the time when 1961's JUDY M. FRANTZ whacked into the vehicle of 1960's CURTIS A. KEMP, upon whom she then had such a mad crush. Way to go, Judy! You really knew how to get a guy's attention, didn't you?

As for me, I can still see a convertible coming into that lot and two of its occupants were 1955's EARL JENKINS and NORMAN E. JACKSON. There was a third guy, but I don't remember who that was, for some reason. I had a mad crush, myself, in those days, on Norm. My jaw would drop, as they drove through. (Just for the record and so that you won't have any hurt feelings, I was by then long over my junior high crush on you, GARY L. WARLAUMONT. As the modern saying goes, I had "moved on.") So for all of us to be back at that particular Frisch's, really stirred up many memories of that type. There is a huge nostalgia factor involved there, and that's why I believe that the site for that function is totally non-negotiable and it will be held there for as long as that building stands!

So when I arrived at 5:45p.m., I wasn't on bit surprised to find a whole table full of former classmates, way back in a corner. There sat DONNA J. RICHARDS, LYNNETTE GARRETT, CAROLE J. LEWIS, JUDY M. FRANTZ, SANDRA S. HOLLINGSWORTH, and PAULA R. WILSON! By the way, Paula, what is your name, NOW? I never did have that right. Anyway, I can tell you that all those 1961 gals looked spectacular, no exceptions. I've had this wonderful opportunity, over the last 3 years, not only to reconnect with former classmates, but also to get to know SO many whom I did NOT know, in school. We had quite a crew and believe me, I hold the Class of 1961 in special affection. They are all SUCH a great bunch. Well, I sat right down with them, and the talk came, fast and furious. We went on and on and on.

But the Class of 1961 was not represented by only that great group. There were more people pouring in, all the time. It was terrific! Soon, we also had MICHAEL C. BAKER, ROBERT W. BRANE, GARY R. FRANK, SANDRA J. CASEY, JAMES E. CURTIS, SALLY L. GILLETTE, JANET L. WALTERS, and TOM W. WELLER. That 1961 class was determined not to miss one thing, and they sure didn't! At another nearby table was 1958's CAROLYN MELZONI, who looked fabulous. She was seated with another girl named SUE, whose last name (I'm sorry to say) I missed. But perhaps someone out there can fill me in. But let's digress for a moment---one of my favorite things---while I single out that stunning pair of ladies, Sally Gillette and Janet Walters. I cannot even BEGIN to tell you both, how many people I heard, making comments on how good the two of you look. I mean it, there must have been at least 10 people or more. So how about letting the rest of us in on your secrets, eh?

The defining moment of the evening, though, just HAD to be when none other than 1961's JACK L. GODBY made his way to the center of the WC crowd. Oh, you really had to be there, believe me! He was using his walker, moving very gingerly, and the twinkle in his eyes was just unmistakable. Everyone was thrilled beyond words. He "drew a crowd" all evening, during the time he was there. I don't think there was one person who didn't want to talk to Jack. I'm sure we wore you to a frazzle, Jack, but we were all just so thrilled to see you, we couldn't stand it. No one would ever deny that Jack was "the star of the show," on that night, befitting his extensive background as an off-Broadway stage actor. By the way, folks, in spite of all his trials and tribulations, I have to tell you that Jack has held up admirably and he, too, looked great! Thank you for that incredible effort you made, Jack. We all thought it was well worthwhile and we sure do hope you felt that way, too. Even as I type this, I have a 1961 Piratan packaged, labeled, and ready to hit the mailbox, just for you, Jack. You said you no longer have yours and I just happened to have one extra of that year. I'm sure it was just setting there, awaiting a trip to your house. We all hope you'll stay well-rested and in contact with us throughout the year and we REALLY hope you'll be a permanent part of that 1961 table, from here on out.

Also putting in an appearance from the Class of 1961 was none other than my old riding pal (and instructor) LARRY G. RING. Boy, was I ever happy to see Larry! I wasn't the only one, though. I noticed that several of the 1961 girls went over to talk to him, as did a number of other people. So you need to start showing up at more of these things, Larry. You come, too, Jill!

At one point, I counted heads and got 88 people and they were still pouring in. From the 1960 class, aside from myself, we had CHARLES V. CARTER (to whom I'm very close and of whose family I'm a lifelong satellite member), LINDA L. SHANK (with whom I connected last year and looks great), GARY D. RICHARDS (who is one of my favorite people in our class, just a prince of a guy), LINDA L. BOWMAN (who came with Linda Shank and how we did love seeing you, Linda!), GERALD A. FULLER (whom I dearly love and always will), ROSS A. HODGSON (who refuses to join the 21st century and get a computer, so I'll keep mailing his bulletins), STEVEN M. KOKOT (who's the kindest, most patient soul I've ever known), J DAVID MAYS (who always impresses me with his calm and wonderful demeanor and of whom I'm terribly fond), THOMAS L. WOLF, JR. (of whom I'm also terribly fond and whom I was given a "second chance" to know and I also adore his wife), MICHAEL S. WEST (a big ditto on what I just wrote about Tom, I must say), T. BARRY RUSSELLO (whom I dearly love and who has become so special to me, along with his wife, 1959's BETSY J. MURPHY, who was also with us), DEVONA S. TAYLOR, (my birthday twin and dear friend), JOANN K. STEMLEY (yet another dear friend, with whom I didn't get to spend enough time), SHIRLEY J. TUDOR (who's been my right arm for about 57 years now), MONTY ESTEP (who looks positively amazing), AARON COUCH (the hunkiest of hunks), and IDA JANE TREON (who was also with us last year, so keep on coming to that, Ida). It's safe to say that both 1960 and 1961 were the most heavily-represented classes, at that function.

But there were others, too. Along with Jim Curtis (who looked great, by the way), was his cousin, 1957's DARELL L. TOBIAS. Darell came up from Florida, just as I did, after taking a swing through a couple of other states, along the way. I also got to meet (finally) 1954's WILLIAM L. MCNABB, along with Mrs. McNabb, who did a quick drop-in before tending to his own class's 50th festivities. There was also a table of folks from the Class of 1956, who included my sister, JUDY A. RISNER, NANCY K. AUFULDISH, RUTH ANN GAUGH, and GRACE M. BRODBECK.

The Class of 1958 offered up several members, too, who included BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, JAMES E. RICHARDSON, RONALD D. "TOM" FEE, K. JUNE CRUTCHFIELD, NICHOLAS P. WOLARY, WILLIAM R. HOWARD, LEONARD F. KUHN, and none other than ROBERT W. "SMITTY" SMITH, who traveled from his Wisconsin home to be with us. We're all very pleased you were there, Smitty! We hope you'll always remember to "log in" at the Pirates' main port oF call, each and every year. While I'm about it, I have to tell you all that NO one could have had more fun all weekend, than did Lennie Kuhn. His wife, Pat, is just fabulous! Everyone was so thrilled to see Lennie. He looks terrific and he was yet one more, whom I instantly recognized.

Also among the Frisch's crowd was BAILEY HAWKINS, and we spoke of a few of our fellow Miami Shores kids. I (and also Bailey) sure did wonder where our old pal of 1960, CHARLES A. HIGH, JR., could possibly be. We sure did miss you, Charlie, and hope you're doing okay. As expected, there was much talk and even more disap- pointment at the absence of "the sweetheart of WC,' 1960's EULA FAYE BAILEY. We called her, though, and everyone yelled a big hello. I also kibitzed a bit with an alumni board member, JACKIE KRITZER (1948?)

Then, like a bolt out of the blue, there stood SHARLENE N. MERKER, Class of 1987 (I think) and daughter of 1960's Shirley Tudor, with a class book for me, which I throroughly perused. Sharlene and I didn't have time for our usual, windy visit, but I did manage to get down there to her house, later in the week, so that we could do that.

Others who were present included 1957's THERESA M. MOSES, who showed me some wonderful photos of the backyard train layout which she has, along with her WC 1957 spouse, THOMAS D. ELLIOTT, who made a gift to me on the spur of the moment. It was his kicky and clever ballpoint pen, which lit up when you wrote with it. I thank you, Tom, and I can't tell you how many people have asked where I got that! Each time I use it, I have a fond little surge of memory from our fun evening.

There were some pretty darned neat folks there from 1962, also. For instance, there was the chicly attractive and so-fun-I-can't begin-to-tell-you, BARBARA T. O'NEAL, wife of Steve Kokot. Everyone at WC always wants to see Barb at their functions. You always know you'll be having a wonderful time when SHE'S around. I've often wanted to ask you, Steve, what it's been like to be married to HER all these years. Does the fun ever end? I'll bet not.

But I have to tell you that I felt there was a feather in my cap when I spied the dashing and handsome figure of none other than 1962's RICHARD C. CALL, whom I'd made it a point to phone, last June, and urge him to attend everything. He promised he would, and he was as good as his word. Rich's wife, Jean, is gorgeous and personable and I was SO thrilled to meet her. I think they've been married about 40-42 years, so they're sure doing something right. I recognized him instantly. I'll swear, he hasn't changed one bit. I think I made imprints on his neck, I hugged him so hard and so much. Rich ran around a lot with us in the summers and he was so fun and so ornery, he was one of those irresistible guys. We were great buddies.

Lest we forget, there was 1955's DONNA J. TUDOR, who vows she's going to get to work on her classmates so that they will have some sort of gathering next year for their 50th. Go for it, Donna! Be sure to let us know, if we can help with anything. I have to tell you that Bill McNabb and Gary Barnes are terribly helpful in the area of finding WC people, so call them.

Volunteering for photo duty was 1971's RODNEY R. GABBARD. He did a terrific job, that's for sure. We all thank you immensely, Rod. We sure couldn't have asked for a more dedicated photographer. Many of you may recall that Rod and I met as a result of an e-Bay bidding war for a 1971 Piratan, earlier in the year. I wrote him a note, curious about his zeal to have the book. When I found out that he's a firefighter, a veteran, AND a WC guy, I backed off instantly. Who wouldn't? But what goes around, comes around. When I bought the next load of Piratans from the robber in Washington State, there were 2 of the 1971s in the boxes. It was sure great to finally meet you in person, Rod, and I so hope you will also become a permanent part of our gatherings. I'm in hopes that your participation will bring in more interest from our 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s classes, too.

Okay, so I've mulled this over in my mind, several times. I've decided I simply MUST share this very humorous tale with all of you. I feel certain that its two principals, who are Lynn Garrett and Rich Call, won't mind. So kick back and take in this saga. It's just too funny.

At one point, during the Frisch's gathering, Lynn and I were standing in the aisle chatting. She said to me, "I'm so glad to see Richard Call here. I must talk to him. I want to tell him about my oldest son. He was named after Richard. We call him Richie." ("Hmmmm," I thought to myself.) But Lynn is a quick study and she immediately spied the mischievous question in my eye, and said, "Oh no, it's nothing like that. My first husband was a friend of his and he just thought Richard was the coolest guy in the world. When I got pregnant, he said if it was a boy, he wanted to name him after Richard, so we did, that's all."

Well, I sidled over to Rich and said, "Do you remember Lynn Garrett, Rich?" He said he wasn't quite sure and I said, "Well, you should. She named her oldest son after you." His eyes got wide and he looked very nervous and glanced at his wife, who was distracted and talking to someone else, at that moment. I had to laugh, as I could see that he feared I was going to break news to him of a son he'd had from some indiscretion of 40-odd years ago, right in front of his wife, and about whom he'd never known. So I have to tell you that I did laugh uproariously, as I realized what he thought. I said, "Oh no, Rich, it's not anything like what you're thinking. You were the idol of her first husband, the boy's father, and that's why they named him after you." Well, it was like watching the air slowly leak out of a balloon. You looked terribly relieved, Rich, I must say. I told Lynn about it, later, and she also laughed. By the way, your old buddy's name was Bill McLain and he was from Miamisburg. Do you remember him now?

As the hour grew late at Frisch's, we all repaired across the street to Fricker's. Many people went home, but a lot of us went over there, too. For reasons I am unable to explain, there sat the Honorable Judge CHARLES A. "BUD" LOWMAN, Class of 1960, who had not been at the Frisch's function, but I got to see him, anyway. We had the usual rowdy exchanges. The Russellos were there, too, among many others. As always, they kept the bar high for our "WC fashion expectations." They never fail, always chic and handsome and glamorous and so perfectly groomed. Thank you, Russellos! You do such a great job of that and it makes me feel as though I can "mooch" from you, since I'm not nearly as much into the glamour thing as I suppose I should at least TRY to be. I always feel that you are both glamorous enough for us all, just in case a few of us drop the ball. Gary Frank had a table reserved for WC folks and we all sat around for yet another hour or two, reluctant to abandon the great fun of the evening.

But this old bag of bones finally had to cash it in, around 1:00 a.m. I just couldn't take anymore. I'd had all the fun I could stand, so my sister and I headed back up to her place and I got in bed at 2:00 a.m., wondering how on earth I'd made it that long. It was a truly magical, truly wonderful evening, filled with great folks and the fondest of memories. But wait! This was only Friday! We had yet another night coming up on Saturday and THAT was to be the big one. How would it be? Who would be there? What would happen? Stay tuned, folks! It's all coming up in the next installment. I'm going to try for later this week, but keep in mind, I'm preparing for a return trip to Dayton, this time with my husband. I'll do the best I can. There are bound to be people I've missed and if that's the case, I do apologize and please let me know. I had SO many people I was trying to track, I just couldn't get them all logged! In the meantime, I leave you all with my usual wish for glowing health, great happiness, peaceful serenity, and boundless prosperity. Ciao!
---And there you have it! More at 11--- B




Powered by Blogger