.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Monday, November 29, 2004
 
WECATON NEWS REPORT!!!---

---As yet one more Thanksgiving Day holiday comes to a close, it seems we all have so much for which to be grateful. I know I do. It was a very different one for me, and in fact, is the first time I've left home for the past 38 Thanksgivings. But with both my children out of town, it seemed as though it might be time to give it a try. It was strange, though, I must admit. But I didn't complain and it turned out to be a lovely day.

Sadly, I have bad news to report and many of you may be aware of it already. We have lost yet two more of our alumni. From 1960's BOYD H. JENKINS came the report that his older brother, 1955's EARL JENKINS, has passed away. He died on November 19 and Boyd wrote that it wasn't totally unexpected, but that they hadn't anticpated it happening so soon. Thank you for letting us know, Boyd, and we do hope to see you in Titusville on December 4 at the Dixie Crossroads. I know we all offer our sincerest sympathy upon the loss of your brother.

Our other loss is that of 1952's KENNETH F. MAYS, who died on November 20. Several folks wrote to tell me of that one, and I thank you all. Again, we all offer sincerest condolences to the Mays family, and I particularly offer condolences to my classmate, J. DAVID MAYS, upon the loss of yet another of your brothers. I know that we're all terribly sad about his loss.

Kenny's viewing was on Tuesday, and his funeral Wednesday, I was told. My thanks to 1958's BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, who was at Kenny's viewing and told me he saw many of our fellow WC-ers there, which isn't at all surprising. Also, thanks to 1958's WILLIAM R. HOWARD for giving me a few details on that, too, as did LARRY D. GILBERT.

Of course, I know I've written this so many times in our previous bulletins, but I'm going to write it again. Please, if there is an old WC friend about whom you have been wondering, don't wonder anymore. DO SOMETHING about it, and do it NOW! Make that call, mail that note or card, transmit that e-mail, knock on that door, ring that phone---whatever it takes. Just do it! Don't wait, please. We have had far too many WC alumni who have passed on, just in the 3 years I've been doing these bulletins. It is vital that each of us realizes the utter importance of maintaining (or establishing) contact with our old friends.

As I do, with each passing, I looked up both Earl and Kenny in their respective yearbooks. I looked through the books and saw their pictures, taken when they were but 17 (at the beginning of their senior years). Both of them were such handsome and vital young men, then. Now, we no longer have them. We never know who it will be or when this will happen, so don't allow yourself to be in a position to begin any of your sentences or thoughts with, "Oh, how I wish I had (fill in the blank)!" Okay? Don't miss any WC functions, either! Put them first on your agenda and don't let anything else get in the way. We are losing far too many, far too quickly.

In other news, we have a couple of 1960 folks who can use your cards and your good thoughts and prayers. It is my understanding that the sweetheart of WC, 1960's EULA FAYE BAILEY, has recently had some surgery on her neck and shoulder, which has kept her in constant pain for months. Let's get the "card brigade" going and send our support to her. I've given out her "vitals" before, but here it is again: Eula Faye Taulbee, 5315 West 103rd Place, Overland Park, Kansas 66207-3841, phone 913 381-1885 ( etgoodsugar@kc.rr.com ). Eula Faye wrote that she now expects to have, "the boinic neck."

We also have 1961's GAIL DAUBENDICK, who is undergoing treatment for cancer, and here are her vitals: Gail D. Hudson, 4593 Hannaford Street, Moraine City, Ohio 45439, phone 937 298-2356 ( echo@erinet.com ). By the way, SALLY L. GILLETTE, Gail said to be sure and give you a special thanks for her card. She said you didn't put on a return address. It seems like this might be a good time for you two to chat and catch up on old times, eh?

Just a few days ago, one of our classmates had a very nasty fall, backwards onto solid concrete, which has given her a skull fracture. She was trying to get into one of those big Suburbans and her hand slipped off the grip, as she lifted herself upward. She hit right on the back of her head on that concrete. This happened to 1960's SHIRLEY J. TUDOR, so please send her your good wishes at Shirley T. Merker, 4928 Pensacola Blvd., Moraine City, Ohio 45439 phone 299-0288. Shirley doesn't have e-mail, but you can all still communicate with through her daughter, 1987's SHARLENE N. MERKER (current name, Sizer) at ( MRKR03@aol.com ). I highly recommend against calling, at least right now. Shirley needs a lot of bed rest and a lot of sleep. I phoned her yesterday and fervently wished I hadn't. I could hear the weariness in her very weak voice and could immediately tell that this took a lot out of her. Please just send her a card or set a potted plant on her porch or send her an e-mail through Sharlene and let her know she is in our good thoughts and that we wish her a speedy and total recovery. This was sort of scary, as she awoke with blood coming from her ears and had to be taken to the hospital for treatment. I guess the good news is, it could have been much worse, as I understand it. Let's get busy with those cards and e-mails, gang. Nobody does it better than we do, right?

Checking in with PSA's, jokes, bulletins, and the usual forwarded materials were many of us, who included JACQUELINE N. LESHER, PAUL R. BEARDSLEY, DAVID COLLINS, CHRIS L. CLEARY, STEVEN M. KOKOT, BARBARA T. O'NEAL, SUE E. SOWERS, ROBERT W. "SMITTY" SMITH, CAROL A. MUMMA, JOHN L. MONTGOMERY, LARRY D. GILBERT, WILLIAM O. WALKER, SALLY L. GILLETTE, PAMELA K. SHIPLEY, LINDA J. SNELL, LONNIE M. THACKER, JANET L. CHANDLER, WILLIAM R. HOWARD, SANDRA S. HOLLINGSWORTH, DALLAS K. MATHIS, GARY E. BARNES, and JAMES E, KECKLER.

As we all know by now, 2005 is the 20th anniversary for our 1985 class. One of their members, CYNTHEA V. POTEET, has asked for our help in locating some of the class members. If we can help her with that, let's be sure to do so. Lots of people seem to be pitching in, such as SHARLENE N. MERKER, whose spouse, JEFFREY A. SIZER, is a member of that class, THOMAS L. WOLF, JR., who seemed to recognize a few names, as well as PAUL R. BEARDSELY, GARY E. BARNES, and KARL R. BURRUS, so let's do whatever we can. Karl, by the way, wants to know how many 1964 people are out there. How about it, folks? How many ARE out there?
RODNEY R. GABBARD, where are you? I haven't heard a peep!

Recently, I've had a number of exchanges with 1959's JAMES L. LINDSEY, who told me about a lot of old pals from my dear, old Miami Shores. He said he looked up SONNY WILLIAMS and PETE BAILEY, both of whom still live over there, can you believe it? The older brother of WALLACE W. ROBBINS, CARL F. ROBBINS, is now also living in the Dayton area.

Jim has expressed great concern about his very ill sister, JUDY LINDSEY (current name Sellars) who is the significant other of Wallace. Let's not forget Judy, either, folks. She is still very, very ill and Jim says things don't look very good for her. He sent very special thanks to two very special people, CAROLE J. LEWIS and PATRICIA LYNNETTE GARRETT, both of whom took the time to visit Judy, quite recently. Wallace also writes that Judy is terribly ill.

The son of W. BAILEY HAWKINS, JAY, wrote the WCHS alumni board to advise of someone he found. Did you get that, Cynthea? Listen, folks, I got a blurb from MURL E. HUFFMAN this month! I was so happy to hear from you, Mr. Huffman! (I'm still working on that Murl stuff, but after 47 years of Mr. Huffman, it's tough, I have to admit.)
Anyway, he wanted to encourage us all to keep things going for 2005 and to make this one better than ever. "Keep The Party Alive For 2005!" That's just the kind of push we need, so let's stay right on it! Thanks, Mr. H.!

MONTY ESTEP, have you had any luck with confirming that e-mail address on JUDY SHOCKLEY? Listen, a very odd thing is happening. I got back that first one, but haven't gotten back anymore since. Still, we need to be sure, so let me know when you have followed up on it.

The wife of 1962's RICHARD C. CALL has been staying in intermittent contact and we're always happy about that. We want to keep you in the loop, Rich, so that you don't miss anymore of our functions, hear? Thanks, Jean, we all appreciate that. The mother of LARRY D. GILBERT was kind enough to give him an old football schedule she found, for the 1960 season, which would have been the beginning of the year for the 1961 class. Did you see that, gang? What a hoot! Thanks for sharing that with all of us, Larry. NANCY J. ERTEL was able to come up with some good reminiscences on that one. How are you doing up there in NYC, JACK L. GODBY? We don't want to lose you again, so send me a few lines, from time to time, hear?

It's always good to hear of WC friends who are keeping in touch with one another. Such is the case with 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST (wife Sally) and 1958's NICHOLAS P. WOLARY (wife Marilyn). It seems the four of them got together recently for a nice visit at Mike and Sally's Gatlinburg, Tennessee, home. Maybe we'll one day get to see them all in Florida, who knows?

Bruce reported to me that SHIRLEY J. PARKS said we can't have a WC function without her! Well, Shirley, we'd be just pleased as punch to have you join us at any time we can get you. But I don't have an e-mail address for you. Can anyone get that? Naturally, we'd be killing two birds with one stone, as we could then rope in her WC spouse, too, NEIL H. SIZER. Let's work on that!

L. EUGENE ZINK continues to reside in his Cedar Bluff, Alabama, home. He checks in with great regularity. So does WILLIAM R. HOWARD, but I haven't heard anything from my old buddy, RONALD D. "TOM" FEE, in quite a spell. What's going on there, Bill? Is his system still out?

In just 8 days, we'll be having the WC Florida Holiday Brunch. I've no idea who or how many will appear. But I'm darned sure of a few of us---myself, Bruce, GERALD A. FULLER, who has already confirmed attendance along with wife Becky. The Fullers have recently sold their Panama City Beach building and plan on buying a fifth wheel and doing some traveling. I also expect to see CURTIS A. KEMP, who will likely be accompanied by wife Maria. I feel certain there will be some others, I just don't know who. Unfortunately, DELORES K. "DEDE" FAHRNEY can't join us this year. She has a prior commitment with a softball game and we all know DeDe. Playing sports has always been something she loves and that hasn't changed. So we all wish you lots of luck with your game, DeDe, and we do hope to see you again, come the Spring. As for 1957's LINDA L. MCAFEE, she's getting remarried and leaving tomorrow on a a trip to Hawaii. She will not return in time for our brunch. She, too, will see us in the Spring. But I'm sure hoping to see RICHARD E. KNEER, ROBERTA A. RICE, DARELL L. TOBIAS, BOYD H. JENKINS, and whoever else is here in Florida and even those who aren't, if they are so inclined. How about you, Mike West? You and Sally were going to be here this year, remember? Cousin JUDITH L. SAMUELS should be able to make this one, too. Judy recently sold her second home and she and Bill have been doing a bit of traveling. I'm also hoping to see Lynn Garrett and husband Frank, too.

It was Lynn, by the way, who gave me a rousing report on the slumber party of November 13, thrown by JANET L. WALTERS. It seems there were 8 or 10 members of the Class of 1961 and I think BARABAR O'NEAL, Class of 1962, was also there. She said all the girls were there, who had come to Applebee's when I was in Ohio, but there was also JANET WITHAM and CAROLE J. LEWIS and you just KNOW they had a wonderful time! I'd have sure loved to have been able to attend that function.

That must have been the big night for WC slumber parties because I also got a great report from DONNA G. TUDOR, Class of 1955, in which she told me of a big gathering with her own classmates, which also had the ring of a slumber party. Mentioned in Donna's e-mail were MARY SUE MCDANIEL, GRACE LAKINS, PAT HAGWOOD, BARBARA ENGLE, DONNA HOWERTON and SHARON & LOIS COLLINSWORTH. Does anyone remember any of those girls? I vividly remember all of them!

PAUL R. BEARDSLEY reported that he saw none other than WOODROW W. "WOODY" BOWMAN recently, at the WC Civic Center. Paul said Woody looks good and seems to be doing okay. By the way, folks, Woody will be 92 in January. Paul recently had lunch with classmate Lynn Garrett and he's curious as to what may have happened to SIGRID HOPKINS. Does anyone have a clue? Also, how are we coming with getting a verification on the correct e-mail address for 1960's WILLIAM E. HECKER? His e-mail continues to be returned to me. Somebody out there give me a hand, okay?

With that, I have come to the end of all my e-mail input. I will add just one footnote, though. I spoke today with both EULA FAYE BAILEY and SHIRLEY J. TUDOR. I'm now satisfied that Eula Faye is going to be okay with her surgery, but that doesn't mean she doesn't need concern and attention from us all. Shirley's situation was much more serious and I have concerns for her. I'd be ever so grateful for those of you in her vicinity to keep tabs on her progress and let me know how she's doing. Sharlene, that goes triple for YOU!! Doctors say it could take up to a YEAR for her to reach full recovery. Let's all pull for her and show some strong support for her, please. I've told her if she needs me, I'll come up there. I would, too. But she says her children are looking after her very well.

Bruce will be arriving at my house about December 1 and we will have a few days of great visiting, which will include the brunch. He will also visit his brother, who is in nearby Weeki-Wachee, then he will continue work and driving all over the country, I'm sure. So I leave you all with my usual wish for glowing health, great happiness, boundless prosperity, and peaceful serenity. Ciao!

---And there you have it! More at 11--- B




Powered by Blogger