.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Sunday, May 29, 2005
 
WE*CA*TON NEWS REPORT !!
---As much as it troubles me to have to report this, I have decided that I want to get the bad news out of the way, right up front. So I'm going to tell all of you that we have had yet two more deaths among our alumni, during what had so far already been a tragic month. Both of the deaths occurred on May 21. Many of you are already aware of the passing of RICHARD M. BECKETT, Class of 1950. He had been a popular member of his class, according to all reports. Most of us will recall Dick as the older sibling of PETE BECKETT, and sisters, LINDA L. BECKETT, Class of 1958, and JUDI BECKETT, Class of 1960. I know we all extend sympathy to the survivors in Dick's family. I also know that many of you sent cards, flowers, and possibly attended any service which may have been held.

The announcement of the second death came to me just moments ago, from the daughter of 1961'S BARBARA LEE HECKER. Barbara's current name was Campbell. She had been married to Elmer Campbell. Her death also occurred on May 21 in the city of Hurst, Texas. Her daughter did not give details of the cause of death and referred to it as, "unexpected." I wrote back, of course, asking for more info. But so far, have no answer for you.

DONNA JEAN RICHARDS, Class of 1961, I know you have told me on several occasions that you keep track of the passings in your class. Sadly, it seems that you must now record yet another one. If you have further questions about Barbara, the e-mail which reached me was from, "Carrie LeAnn," and the address is as follows:
( carin.cairo@notes.udayton.edu ) I immediately recog- nized that e-mail address, as I have a cousin who is employed by UD and I send him e-mail there. So if you discover any more details, please let us know.

Thanks to those of you who reported to me about the WC passings. They include SANDRA L. BARSALOU, Class of 1958, and 1961's SALLY L. GILLETTE. I also want to take the time to recognize the efforts of 1954's WILLIAM L. MCNABB, 1955's DONNA G. TUDOR, as well as 1971's PAMELA K. SHIPLEY for pinpointing the grad year as 1955, for the late RONALD RIX. It takes all of us, as I've previously written. This bulletin cannot happen without all of YOU. It is, and will ever be, a joint effort.

During this bulletin period, there have been two e-mail address changes. They are for 1961's GARY R. FRANK and for 1960's JUDITH A. STALDER. Please contact me on an individual basis, should you need to contact either of these alumni. Thanks, Judy and Gary, for letting me know. We don't want to lose anyone from our bulletin list, although the e-mail continues to be returned for MILTON R. WOLFE and BRENDA ASHLEY TAYLOR. Does anyone have updates?

It has been a truly disastrous, WC month, folks! Just the people of whom we AWARE, now number a whopping 5, for May. I find this so distressing. I also feel terribly diminished by each and every single one, whether I knew them or not. My treasured friend, EULA FAYE BAILEY, Class of 1960, tells me affectionately that I tend to "preach," when I write these bulletins as I allude to the importance of attending the WC functions, always writing, "We just never know!" Well, I know you're right about that, Eula Faye, but I just can't help myself. No one on the face of this earth, has ever died saying, "Gee, I wish I'd spent more time at the office (or on my hobby or mowing the yard or reading or whatever)." What they DO say is, "I sure wish I'd spent more time with my family and my friends." Well, we've got golden opportunities in OUR school to spend WAY more time together, than do the average former schoolmates. We have two functions here in Florida, the annual Frisch's Frolic (thanks to the genius of 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST), a number of golf outings each year, and we have the wonderful, annual dinner/dance, which is our crown jewel event. Many of us also sneak in a side trip to a friend from school, while we're traveling around the country. (Just ask me and Eula Faye and Bruce about that one. You can also ask Jerry Fuller and wife Becky.) That's pretty easy to do, too. So yes, I'm going to "preach" some more. Be there!! Don't make excuses. Follow the glowingly consistent example of GERALD A. FULLER, BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, RONALD D. "TOM" FEE, BOYD H. JENKINS, PAULA ROSE WILSON, DONNA JEAN RICHARDS, and several other of our alumni. These folks make it a point to see their old friends. I'll bet they begin very few of their thoughts with, "Gee, I wonder whatever happened to (fill in the blank.)" Why? Because they get out there and find OUT what happened to (fill in the blank), that's why! Okay, okay, I'm putting away my soapbox for this issue, but think hard before you allow other things to keep you from attending WC functions, okay? Let's get to the regular news!

The first thing I'll list will be those folks who have checked in with the psa's, the jokes, the political pundits, and the community service items. They are 1955's DONNA GENE TUDOR; 1958's BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, WILLIAM R. HOWARD, ROBERT W. "SMITTY" SMITH, SANDRA L. BARSALOU; 1960's JUDITH ANN STALDER, BOYD H. JENKINS; 1961's SANDRA S. HOLLINGSWORTH, SALLY LYNNE GILLETTE, P. LYNNETTE GARRETT, LARRY D. GILBERT,JOHN L. MONTGOMERY, 1962's JUDY LYNN JAMES, JOHN E. MCCLELLAN (are you 1962, John?), RICHARD C. CALL; 1971's PAMELA K. SHIPLEY. Many thanks to all. As I've previously written, I seldom have time to read forwardings, but I keep the list, anyway. It lets us know these people are not only alive and well, but reading our bulletins.

We now take this opportunity to welcome aboard our newest additions to the bulletin list. I'm nothing short of delighted to announce that we now have RICHARD L. "DICK" PHILLIPS, Class of 1960. I've asked about you a million times, Dick, so when your e-mail came across my desk, I was very happy. Dick says not only will he be joining us at our future gatherings, but he will also bring along younger brother, JERRY. That's great, Dick, and we all look forward to seeing you! Dick found his way to us through conversations with his old buddy and partner in much high school mischief, 1962's RICHARD C. CALL. Thanks, Rich, nice going. Boy, are we going to have a circus THIS October 7 and 8!!

Okay, now gather 'round, you 1960 folks. As the years have passed, a number of you have asked me about the whereabouts of our classmate, JUDITH ANN SLIFE. Well, wonder no more!! I've got Judy "nailed down," and she has also indicated that she will be joining us. It's such a small world! Judy's current name is Dunker, she wrote me, and she lives less than half a mile from my own sister, right there in Englewood. If only I'd known that, I'd have visited her while I was there recently. But I'm surely looking forward to seeing you on October 7 and 8, Judy! I'm pretty sure Judy is still overwhelmed with reading. You see, I sent her all the WeCaTon Reports since March 2, so that she could get current. It didn't scare you off, did it, Judy? Ha!

Judy writes that she has two daughters, a son, and six grandchildren, retired from NCR, and is a widow now. She travels and enjoys her family. Judy married in 1963 and her spouse was from Germantown (Gary Allan Dunker, Class of 1956). Judy, I haven't forgotten about the people about whom you enquired. I have some info on every single one of them and I promise I will get to your questions very soon. Welcome aboard! By the way, a big thanks to you, LINDA L. SHANK, Class of 1960, for telling Judy about our bulletins. Way to go!

Next, we add LINDA L. BECKETT, Class of 1958. We all know Linda, who needs no introduction. Linda's a fixture in the WC school system, not only graduating from there, but also working there. The Beckett name is well known to all of us. Sadly, as previously written, we just lost one of the Beckett siblings. But welcome aboard, Linda, and we all will look for you on October 7 and 8.

Listen, folks, let's all put forth some extra-big efforts to locate 1959's ROBERT L. TANKERSLEY, for his old pal, DANNY A. WALTERS, Class of 1960. Dan and I have have been working for over a year now, trying to find him. Most of you know I'm pretty good at that stuff, but I'm not very FAST! (Shades of WILLIAM M. ROHLER and EDGAR L. KELLY, both of whom took a staggering 15 years.) Here's what we know so far. The info in the 2001 alumni directory may or may not be correct. My next step is to send a piece of mail to that address, and see if it's returned. If it isn't we'll know he either still lives there, or he's moved in a recent enough time frame for it to have been forwarded.

Apparently, Bob did not retire from the Miami Police Department. Retired officer, WILLIAM R. HOWARD, has been able to verify that. How I wish he HAD! It would have greatly simplified our search. He was born in August of 1940, Bill's resources confirm. The phone number in the directory (alumni) is no good, I've tried it. I've also used some of my Bell Telephone connections (I'm a retiree), in order to assist Dan. Still, no luck. I've checked with my former step-sister, NANCY LEE BOWMAN (Woody's daughter), whose first husband was the late RAY TANKERSLEY. She had no info, either.

As a matter of fact, I've also checked with another of Bob's old buddies, and my good friend, LARRY G. RING, and he had no info, either. It was Larry, in fact, who taught me to ride motorcycles, when I was only about 12. He and Bob hung out all the time, then, brought together by their mutual love of motorcycles. So Bob and Larry saw me take all of my first "dumps," as I learned to ride. But even Larry had no idea. So I have been very busy in my efforts to help you, Dan. I'm just not having any luck. I promise I won't abandon the effort, though. Is there any further help out there? Please let me know, if you know anything at all about Bob! He's out there, somewhere!

As proven recently by the writings of 1961's LARRY D. GILBERT, some high school idol-worship just never dies! Larry wrote, "I'll bet the fastest guy at WCHS will be able to find Bob, Bill Howard." He was referring, of course, to Bill's then-famous and-now- legendary,
considerable track skills, during his high school years.

For anyone who may be interested, Becky Fuller, wife of GERALD A. FULLER, has photos of the recent, Third Annual WC Florida Spring Fest, which was held on April 3. I'm equally sure that our two "computer gurus," 1961's NANCY J. ERTEL and 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST, have also done postings on the WC website. So be sure to view those postings. Jerry and Becky are now lounging around in their Kentucky home, and of course, they once again attended the Kentucky Derby, their annual ritual.

As soon as you return, SALLY L. GILLETTE, we expect a full report on the trip you are taking. Sally has reported that she's, "out of the country," until June 6. Now, just imagine THAT, folks! She didn't run this by ME, at all!! She just hit the road. Don't worry, we'll get the full scoop, I'm sure.

Well, folks, "the word on the street," is that those two 1961-ers, PAUL R. BEARDSLEY and SANDRA L. BROCK, have tied the knot, and that it took place on May 17. Could this be true? Now listen, Paul, this was not our agreement! You were supposed to keep me posted, remember? In any case, I know we all wish you both well.

Our 1960 classmate, SHIRLEY SUE MILLER, has written that she will be joining us, come October. That's wonderful news, Shirley! Boy, we're going to have some turnout this fall, aren't we, at least for the 1960 class? I'm just delighted! Doesn't any other class want to try to "outdo" us? I'll bet 1961 can really scare up a lot of people. They always have a great turnout. We'll see. But it IS our 45th anniversary this year.

Speaking of anniversaries, 2006 will mark the 50th for the 1956 class, obviously. It just so happens that I have either 4 or 5 extra 1956 yearbooks. They range in price from $18-$40, and that's just what I paid for them. It just depends on the source and the condition. I will sell them for that exact price, first come, first serve, if anyone is interested. I will sell ONLY to WC alumni.

LYNN GARRETT reports that she recently took yet another trip to Florida for the purpose of caring for her mother and brother. We missed each other on this trip, though, at least in Florida. But there will more on that, later. Lynn is now safely back home in Germantown. Lynn also reported that the1961 gang is getting together to plan their annual outing at the home CAROLE J. LEWIS. I always get a wonderful feedback on that event, each year!

Cousin JUDITH L. SAMUELS continues her travels around Florida with husband Bill. They are in their RV. She tells me she likes the RV travel, because she doesn't have to cook as much. Ha! I know just what she means. Speaking of her, I owe some thanks to my old pal., Bruce. I wrote in the last bulletin that Judy had attended her first WC function, when she came to Spring Fest. That's not so. As Bruce reminded me, she was also at our 2003 WC Florida Holiday Brunch. Thanks, Bruce, and sorry, Judy.

NANCY E. "COOKIE" BOWIE reports that she often speaks with her brother-in-law, GARY D. MAYS, who lost his wife, DONNA G. BOWIE, on May 9. She says he is doing well. I know everyone is interested in Gary's welfare. Cookie, I just mailed something to you today. Let me know when you get it.

Every WC kid is interested in the imminent demise of the building which housed Woody's Supermarket, I've learned. It's going to be a mob scene down there, with people trying to get a piece of that hallowed building. At the top of the heap (I hope) will be GARY E. BARNES, BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, and WILLIAM R. HOWARD, trying to scavage a brick for me. As Bruce so succinctly wrote, "We'll be bringing RICHARD G. DENNY out of retirement to get us all out of jail!" I'll bet you got THAT right, Bruce! Now, if we could only find Dick! We will have to contact him through his dinner companions, the WALKERS, WILLIAM O. and KAREN M. They seem always to know where he is.

Mike, (West) please write to Bruce and give him the address for the blogspot. He wants to see what photos are there. In fact, you'd better send it to ME again, too. I just can't seem to keep track of that darned thing!

Now, here's a story to really envy, folks! On May 16, 1960's DELORES K. "DEDE" FAHRNEY, and some friends, hit the road in an RV. They will be gone for 5 months. They will tour most of the U.S. and a huge piece of Canada. I'm SO jealous, DeDe! DeDe promises to write intermittently, to keep us all posted. . Stay safe out there, DeDe. Our 1950s world is forever gone.

Well, I'm going to wind up (can you believe it?) with a report on my recent trip to Ohio. Don't hold your breath, though. As most of you are now well aware, I'm pretty windy. I flew up to Ohio on May 18. That very evening, I
met Bruce, who kindly lent me one of his cars, even though it was a huge inconvenience, during that period of time. I met him at a little place called, "Down The Pike," on Alex Road. I would soon learn that the place was owned by the son of the aforementioned Richard G. Denny and his longtime spouse, LIELA K. GEORGE. He was quite personable and charming, too! I'm sure that is the result of his1950s-style upbringing from his 1950s-style parents. So away I went in Bruce's car!

But it wouldn't be long until I saw him again. On the very next night, he put together an abruptly-arranged, great dinner engagement with GARY L. WARLAUMONT and wife Jill, as well as our WC fashion plates, T. BARRY RUSSELLO and his wife, BETSY R. MURPHY. Of course, Bruce was also there with his companion,1971's PATTY JO WHEELBARGER. We went to the Paragon, had a delightful time, and just for the record, yes, the Russellos continue to keep the WC fashion bar on a high plane. Do you two EVER look less than chic and polished?

My next WC encounter would be on Saturday, although my luck wasn't quite so good as it had been Thursday. I drove down to the home of SHIRLEY J. TUDOR, but she wasn't there. I hung around for a short while, but when she didn't return, I moved on to her daughter's house (1987's SHARLENE N. MERKER.) Once again, no one was home. It looked as though it wasn't going to be my day. Moving right along, I then drove over to the home of CHARLES V. CARTER, a schoolmate of whose family I'd practically become a member, over the years. Well, guess what? He wasn't home, either, and neither was his wife, Pam.

But in the gravel pit, I heard the heavy equipment running and went down there where I found son Chuck. I called Charles and he returned. About two minutes later, Pam was there, too. So that experience worked out a little better. Of course, I had to see Charles in the gravel pit. He won't EVER come out of there! It's his "mistress." He just may be out of there NOW, though! On May 24, he had a knee replacement surgery done on his left leg. However, he DID tell me he'd talked to the doctor about finding a way to prop up the leg, so that he could operate the bulldozer, and I'm not kidding, either!

On that evening, I went to the MCL Cafeteria and met up with another 1960 classmate, JUDY ANN SHOCKLEY, who has worked there for years. I'm determined to get her back on the bulletin list, if only I can get a working e-mail address for her. On the way back, I stopped by the Englewood home of RONALD E. LINK., Class of 1963. From Judy, I had learned that Ron had been married once to 1960's SANDRA LYNN PENWELL. Their son is now 36 years old. When I asked him how to reach her, and told him how many classmates wanted to find her, he replied,---and this is an exact quote---"She don't wanna be found!" Apparently, Sandy has had some challenges in her life and some medical problems which are embarrassing to her. She doesn't want to relate all of this to anyone. He does talk with her and sees her intermittently. So I left my card, invited him to WC functions, and told him to relay all our best Sandy. He said he would. At least Sandy will know we haven't all forgotten about her and perhaps she will feel differently, if enough time passes.

Ron wanted to be reconnected with his best WC pal, JOHN E. WOLFE, Class of 1963, and younger sibling of COE and MILTON. Both Lynn and I found the info on him, when I returned. I've typed it all out and sent it by postal mail, to Ron. So I hope he connects with John.

My last day in town was Monday, the 23rd. At 4:30 that afternoon, I met with 4 members of the 1961 class---LYNN GARRRETT, EDNA GRAY, DONNA RICHARDS, and JUDY FRANTZ---and what a circus WE had! Before we knew it, we had whiled away the rest of the afternoon. But we sure did solve a lot of the world's problems. Oh, who am I kidding? All we did was catch up on the latest gossip!! But it sure was fun.

With that, I conclude (thank God!) both the story of my trip AND this edition of the WeCaTon News Report. I leave you all with my usual wish for glowing health, great happiness, peaceful serenity, and boundless prosperity. Ciao!




Powered by Blogger