.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Wednesday, May 25, 2005
 
WECATON NEWS REPORT!!!---
Well, here I am again, folks! Before I embark on my next trip (which will be on May 18), I decided I need to get all the mail cleared, once again. More importantly, I need to get to the conclusion of the Spring Fest report. So we'll begin with that.

As Sunday morning, April 3, dawned, I was ready for yet another day with my former classmates. Once again, I wound my way across I-4 and found the now-familiar clubhouse. Of course, people were already present and the weather had once again cooperated beautifully. So we had a picture-perfect day. If I do say so, myself, that's always a great time to be in Florida, I assure you.

There were tables of food and drink, brought by all of us, and enough to have fed everyone there for days on end.It always seems to work out that way. Most of us are so engrossed in conversation, and so happy to see one another, the food usually takes a back seat, in the early part of the gathering.

As we glanced around the clubhouse, I couldn't help but notice the absence of our ever-gracious hostess, 1960's JOANN K. STEMLEY. Upon questioning, I would soon learn that something had bitten her on her foot and it had begun to swell, so she went to the emergency room and was accompanied by the spouse of 1960's WILLIAM O. WALKER, an honorary WC-er, KAREN MURPHY. But not to fear! JoAnn and Karen were soon back among us and JoAnn didn't seem to be any worse for the wear. I'm sure she has long since recovered, very nicely, right, Jo?
It's always such a treat to spend time with the Walkers. I just love them!

Those guys who always attend everything, didn't let us down, either. We had 1958's BRUCE E. CHENOWETH 1960's GERALD A. FULLER, (and spouse, Becky, of course) and that other nicest of the nice guys, BOYD H. JENKINS. As I told you before, though, you've got to keep a sharp eye on Boyd. He's a, "slipper-away-er," and you don't get to say good-bye to him, once he has decided he's leaving.

When I went over that morning, I loaded up what I thought might be an adequate supply of our yearbooks. But I missed it by a country mile, opting to take only the years from 1954 through 1964. More later, on that issue.

As the day progressed, more and more people walked through the door, grinning from ear to ear, as they saw familiar faces. Not only were the Walkers, the Fullers, Boyd, JoAnn, Bruce, and myself, in attendance. Very soon, there was RONALD D. "TOM' FEE, with his wife, Sandy. Tom turns up at almost all functions, and the one or two he's missed, were due to a malfunction in his computer, I think.

It wasn't long before JUDITH L. SAMUELS walked in the door (and she later told me how she didn't recognize a soul, but I told her not to worry, we all had that problem, at least at first.) Everyone visited with Judy and they were happy to see her. It's the first WC function to which she's ever been! We also had RICHARD E. KNEER, with wife Becky, and our snazzy ladies from the previous night, PAULA R. WILSON and DONNA J. RICHARDS.
Everyone was inside, then everyone was outside by the pool, and the conversational groups kept changing, as the day passed. I'm pretty sure everyone talked with everyone else, at some point in the day.

We also had the KECKLERS for the day, JAMES E. and wife, Janet, both of whom are always great fun. She brought a very tasty dish to share with everyone and at least one person has already requested her recipe for that. Thanks, Janet!

There were also GARY R. FRANK and ROBERT W. BRANE ("my sixth husband," as you all know, by now), and they always add a good mix to the crowd. Bob and Gary were in Florida for a few months, at that time, and were at Gary's place on Florida's west coast.

Everyone was thrilled to see our former classmate, JACK L. GODBY, when he arrived in the afternoon. He was staying with his brother in Florida, W. THOMAS GODBY, and guess what? Tom came with him and so we got a "double-header" on that one! Tom is a member of the Class of 1964, and he was accompanied by his wife, Christina, a lovely lady who just happens to ride Harley-Davidsons. Everyone was happy to see the Godby brothers, that's for sure! Tom has lived in Florida for some time, and he's in the car business. Jack, of course, lives in New York City and stays with Tom each year, for a period of time. To say the Godbys added a lot to our gathering, would surely be yet another under- statement. Everyone wanted to talk to both of them and Tom Fee was having a moment of amusement when he discovered who Tom was. He told me he and Tom once dated the same girl, many years before. They had a jovial conversation about it, when they reintroduced themselves to one another. Not surprisingly, Tom has already confirmed his attendance for the October alumni gathering.

It wasn't long before Spring Fest became, "the Pence sisters' gathering." We were all thrilled to see 1959's CAROLYN E. "TOOTIE" PENCE come through the door and, to our utter delight, she was accompanied by 1954's PHYLLIS PENCE, as well as 1951's GERALD-INE "GERRY" PENCE. The Pence girls all look just great, folks, so the general appearance of the room really picked up with their arrival, especially when one factored in all the attractive ladies who were already there! But this is where the yearbook factor comes into play. Wouldn't you know I'd miss it, by just that one year (1951) with the arrival of Tootie's sister, Gerry! But I think she "forgave" me. I'll try to do better next year.

Everyone took photos of everyone. Some of them are on our WC website and I'll have to get that from 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST, for those who may not know it. One of the great photos of the day, was that of Tootie, flanked by Bruce Chenoweth and Tom Fee. That photo had been taken especially for the curiously-absent WILLIAM R. HOWARD (also 1958), so that he would be aware of how many classmates he'd missed, by not being there this year. We sure did miss you, Bill!

Of course, Boyd did his usual, "silent escape," but I had walked into the parking lot, just at the moment he was starting to disappear, so I did get to say good-bye to him this time. We all had such a wonderful day, I cannot begin to tell you. Again, I stress to you, if you were not there this year, please make your plans for next year. It is truly a wonderful event.

As a matter of fact, even though we did have a wonderful and rewarding day, we sure DID miss many who said they'd be there, and many who attended the previous year's event. For instance, STEVEN M. KOKOT and BARBARA T. O'NEAL, we sure wanted YOU to be there. We missed you both terribly!! You were the life of the party last year, Barb! We needed you! We missed you, too, DARELL L. TOBIAS! But I knew you had moved to North Carolina. Still, I kept hoping you'd relend and appear at the last minute. Although I know you're a newlywed, LINDA L. MCAFEE, I was sure I'd see you there. I even called you! We all wanted to meet your new spouse.

Then there's you, MADELEINE D. CAMPBELL, to whom I just spoke on the phone. You've just GOT to do a much better job of maintaining contact. Wow, did we we ever miss you at Spring Fest this year! Please be there, next year! As for ROBERTA A. RICE, she reports that she had intended to be there, right up to the last minute, but illness caused her to be absent You were a simply GLOWING part of last year's mix and we missed you terribly, Roberta, as we did all of the FAHRNEY clan---1933's A. EMERSON, 1958's RICHARD A., and my class's own dear DELORES K. "DEDE." Yes, I knew you all weren't going to be there this year, DeDe, since you wrote and told me, ahead of time. But that doesn't mean we didn't miss you. Do please make special efforts for next year, will you? That goes for you, too CAROLYN SUE MCCLOUD and JUDITH A. STALDER of 1960. We want you to be with us, come next Spring Fest, hear?

And what about you, SANDRA L. BARSALOU? Why did you not come to see us? We wanted to see YOU! I was crushed, expecting you to walk through the door, at any given moment. How about you, 1954's MARILYN DONALDSON? You would have even had a fellow classmate this year!

Then we had those who were supposed to be there, said they were coming, but didn't show. Who were they? Well, let's see. There were CURTIS A. KEMP, JAMES L. LINDSEY, SHIRLEY J. TUDOR, DAVID G. OTT, SANDRA MINIX, and MICHAEL S. WEST. We sure did miss ALL of you!! Jim reported that his wife was ill and they just couldn't make it. Curtis and his wife got totally lost and drove around in all the wrong areas, finally abandoning the effort, he tells me. Shirley had a friend who was terminally ill and opted to stay home to be with her, so that's a noble effort for sure. Dave and Sandy wrote that they were celebrating the birthday of their grandchild. However, we were all looking forward to seeing you both and do hope you will make it next year, as well as the October gig! Mike wrote that wife Sally was ill and even hospitalized, so I guess we HAVE to excuse them.

We missed out on DANNY A WALTERS, who had asked for details, but we didn't see him and Phyllis, as they didn't arrive in Florida until the 13th. You've just got to plan better next year, Danny! We were all crushed by the unexpected absence of NANCY E. "COOKIE" BOWIE, but we all now know that there was no way she could have made two trips. Cookie and I spent a couple of wonderful hours together on Tuesday, by the way, and she is now back at her Eatonville, Washington, home. We're all firmly expecting you for next year, Cookie, and we also hope you will make a special effort for the alumni gathering on October 8. Of course, there was a HUGE hole in the attendees for ME, with the absence of PATRICIA LYNNETTE GARRET, but I try to maintain regular contact there, especially since I have such an unabashed crush on her husband, Frank! We also missed EDNA L. GRAY, by the skin of our teeth, as she and Dick had just returned from Florida. Timing really IS everything, isn't it? RICHARD G. DENNY and LIELA K. GEORGE, your family members would have been MORE than welcome at our function.

Perhaps one of the biggest disappointments of all, was that of MURL E. HUFFMAN, our former civics teacher, who had intended to be there. But his companion, MRS. BOGAN, fell ill. I believe they completed their trip to Florida at the end of April. We know we'll all see you in October, Mr. H.! (Okay, I admit it! I just can't seem to get the hang of that "Murl" thing, but I'll keep trying, ok?)

Now, in regard to the Fourth Annual WC Florida Spring Fest, which is likely to be held next year, on or about March 25, 2006, (or whatever is the final Sunday of March) I've gotten a number of requests to hold it in the Daytona Beach area. There are several reasons for this. One of them is because JoAnn tells me it's all but certain that she and Ron will be selling the condo, before our next function. So Windhover Condo will be out of the running for it, if that happens. Also, it seems that Daytona Beach is quite popular amongst our alumni and they all like the idea of being near the beach and the ocean and getting to take a gander at the world-famous Daytona Beach Intenational Speedway. So in view of all that, I'm going to check around and see what I can "dig up," in the way of group facilities and will let you know what I find.

Let's see, who checked in during this bulletin period with jokes, political pundits, PSA's, etc., shall we? Well, there was 1958's WILLIAM R. HOWARD; BRUCE E. CHENOWETH; ROBERT W. "SMITTY" SMITH; 1959's GARY E. BARNES; 1960's STEVEN M. KOKOT; BOYD H. JENKINS; 1961'S JANET L. WALTERS; GARY R. FRANK; 1962's BARBARA T. O'NEAL; 1971's PAMELA K. SHIPLEY/ Thanks to all.

Speaking of announcements, we had quite a few, this time. I refer to one from THOMAS L. WOLF, JR., for starters. He's 1960 and is a retired teacher (?-Tom) from our school system, as is his charming wife, Susan. The alumni association bestows scholarships upon deserving young people. Let's all try to remember that, as we send in our reservation funds this year. Send that extra $10, $20, whatever you can afford. It will be greatly appreciated and put to good use for a good cause!

Also, let's not overlook the June 10 golf outing, to be held at Jamaica Run Golf Course. It is being handled by 1966's GARY CONNER (434-9990) and will benefit the Athletic Boosters. Thanks to 1962's BARBARA T. O'NEAL for submitting that notice.

Other notices include the already-sent notice for the 20th class reunion of the 1985 class, submitted by CYNTHEA POTEET and (I'm thrilled to report) we even got a notice from the very young 1995 class, courtesy of JUSTIN M. CRAIG, which I've also already sent along. I'm delighted that some of the younger classes are beginning to climb aboard.

Speaking of those who have climbed aboard, I'm happy to announce the addition of MISSY BARNES, Class of 1985, and her 1988 spouse, ROB ZIMMER. We have also added 1957's BETTY JANE HAMILTON. This is so wonderful and I sure hope I don't run out of capacity on my machine! Rob and Missy have joined us, courtesy of her dad, Gary. Betty has joined us, courtesy of her 1957 classmate, THERESA M. MOSES. Welcome to all!

Does anyone yet have a handle on a new e-mail address for either MILTON ROSS WOLFE or BRENDA ASHLEY TAYLOR? Their items continue to be returned, and I have no updates? Thanks for any help out there.

On Tuesday, May 10, I met with Cookie for a long and windy breakfast. The sad occasion which brought her here, as we all know by now, was the illness of her sister, the homecoming queen for the Class of 1957, DONNA GAYLE BOWIE, who passed away on the occasion of her 66th birthday on May 9. The loss notwithstanding, Cookie and I had a wonderful visit, and she assures me that she will continue to visit Florida and maintain contact with her grandnieces and grandnephews, and Donna's widower, her brother-in-law, 1957's GARY D. MAYS.

As is always the case, both 1959's GARY E. BARNES, and 1958's WILLIAM E. HOWARD, are keeping me well -posted, on the eminent demise of our beloved Woody's Market. I still just can't believe it! Now, listen, they're going to go poking around in the debris, as you all know, trying to retrieve some mementos for me. I want some of you to promise me that you will go and bail them out of jail, if they get into too much trouble, hear? Bruce, can I count on you for that?

Lately, I've kept up a running monologue with DONNA J. RICHARDS, EDNA L. GRAY, and PATRICIA LYNN -ETTE GARRETT. As is always the case, I also maintain good contact with BRUCE E. CHENOWETH and also with EULA FAYE BAILEY. Donna reports that she recently had coffee with Boyd Jenkins and commented about how nice he is. See, I told you! Bruce reports that he ran into AARON COUCH recently, and the outlook has not improved any, for his oldest boy, who is battling cancer. Eula Faye reports that she was treated like a queen all day on Mother's Day, by her children, children-in-law, and grandchildren. Good for you, Eula Faye!

Lynn reports that another Florida visit is about to occur for her just about the time I'm flying out of here, but we may get to cross paths, anyway, due to my family reunion and her return date. And what does Edna Gray report? Well, I got to read another of Edna's wonderfully-written "travelogue" reports about her most recent trip. She was in Meridian, Mississippi, visiting antebellum homes, for a bit, and she also plans a trek to Texas with younger sis, Brenda, fairly soon.

The sad death of JUDITH ANN HARE was confirmed by many of you, and thanks so much for that. Not only was it Theresa, but also NANCY J. ERTEL, former sister-in-law, JUDY M. FRANTZ, and T. BARRY RUSSELLO. As it happens, reported Nancy, they did have a son (she and WC former husband, LARRY FRANTZ), named Doug. We are losing too many of our people, folks. We just HAVE to make more of an effort to attend all our functions. Please add that your list of things to do, okay?
Barry reported the fond memory of Judy's step-father, Mr. Stragand, giving him his first-ever job at his store, Stragand's IGA.


Now, finally, I'm almost to the end of this gargantuan report. Please sort of hold off on e-mail from the 18th to the 24th. I won't be here and you know how it piles up and up and up. Wanting to conclude on a pleasant note, did all of you see the photo of the baby bear who wound up in the yard of Mike and Sally West, just recently? How wonderful! So I leave you all with my usual wish for glowing healthy, great happiness, peaceful serenity, and boundless prosperity. Ciao!




Powered by Blogger