.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Saturday, October 22, 2005
 
We*Ca*Ton NEWS REPORT !! - 22 October 2005

Bonnie Writes:

---Let's begin our report on alumni weekend, shall we? I think that's appropriate. Furthermore, let's begin with a little mystery, okay? Here's a sort of, "whodunit" for you. I feel some of you may know the answer. Let's set the scene for this mystery.

Imagine, if you will, all of the attractive,vivacious, vital, energetic, personable females who populate the Class of 1961. Oh my, it's just ming-boggling, isn't it? There are SO many in that class, who fit that description! The numbers mount, even as you think, don't they? Okay, so let's narrow down the field a bit. The one to whom I refer, just happens to have become recently involved in a liaison with a member of none other than, "The First Family of West Carrollton," and this fellow was also wildy popular during his WC days, played sports, remains youthful and active (AND---I might add) handsome and charming and looking FAR younger than his 66 years! Rumor has it that they are mad about each other. In fact, folks, the sky just may be the limit on this one, I hear.

Of course, I'd truly LOVE to identify these people for you. But the fact is, I've been sworn to secrecy, and you know how it is with us journalists. We simply canNOT reveal our sources, under any circumstances. So I must honor that commitment. You see, to reveal sources and name names would be tantamount to a doctor's violation of the Hippocratic Oath. So I just can't!

Naturally, though, most of you DO know that this is all sort of, "tongue-in-cheek," as nearly everyone at alumni weekend was talking non-stop about the pairing of these two people and their, "big secret," and also wondering why it is being discussed in such hushed tones, since almost EVERYone from WC knows exactly who are the two principles involved in this lovely mating. But hey, THEY think we don't know about it, so I have to humor them, okay? I'd call this, "food for thought," but it wouldn't even constitute an appetizer since it is SUCH common knowledge! But let's patronize them both and wish them well, shall we? By the way, it's highly likely that I'll be visit -ing the two of them, very soon. Give up? Well, don't fret about it. Just ask ANYone you know from WC and they will readily tell you. Let's move on to our WC weekend!

So many of you wrote me breathless e-mails, in the hour or so before I departed on Wednesday, Oct. 5. We were all so excited and so anticipatory, it was infectious! So about 15 minutes before noon on that day, I pulled away from the curb in my little, super-ugly, brand-spanking-new -but-fuel-efficient-to-a-fault, 2006 Toyota Scion xB. I was obviously wondering how I'd fare, what with having been long accustomed to long-distance road travel in my huge and luxurious Ford Excursion Limited diesel.

True, this trip wasn't like the ones I've taken in my giant Excursion, but with fuel mileage ranging from 40s-plus down to 35-plus (dependent upon terrain and speed and wind force), I found I was able to adjust quite well to any other minor inconvenience. It cost me less than 40% of what the big Ford would have cost, in fuel expenses for the trip. As daylight wore into night, I continued to drive, although I hadn't intended to do that this time. I pulled into the driveway of the home of my hostess at just about 3 a.m., having made the trip in a disappointing 15 hours and 15 minutes. It's only 920 miles and I guess I'm just getting old and not able to do the marathon trips any longer, I don't know. (By the way, I've dubbed my little, new car as, "LuLu," which I explain by saying it's an acronym for, "Little Ugly," times two.)

In any case, I was out and about on the following day and making my rounds. My sister, 1956's JUDY A. RISNER, and I, went tooling through my beloved Miami Shores for over 3 hours. I'm simply inexorably drawn to that humble, little village which holds for me, so many fond memories. As we drove through, we looked at all the familiar homes saying, "Oh, there's the house where the HIGHS lived," and, "Hey, wasn't that the one were the FEES lived?" and " Do you remember getting eggs on the back steps of the ELTER house?" and, "There's JACKIE and ANITA MASON's old house," and so it went. I fyou lived in that area during the late1940s and the 1950s, you can bet we mentioned your name and looked for your house. We drove every street, at least 3 times, and each time I'd pass the former, longtime homestead of the FULLER family, I'd remember the wonderful and frequent parties and summer gatherings. I also went through the Apple Plat section a couple of times, passing the lovely home of GARY D. RICHARDS and wife Betty, as I did. I just have to get my "dose" of that place, each time I go there.

That evening would bring yet another wonderful treat, as I had supper with my two dear, dear friends, 1960's EULA FAYE BAILEY (who brought her very personable and charming mother, by the way,to the Frisch's Frolic on the following evening, and she fit into the crowd, beautifully), and 1958's BRUCE E. CHENOWETH. I loved the great company and the fond reminiscences. As we all sat together, just enjoying great companionship, the conver-sation turned to classmates and we began to speak of 1960 class member, SHARON L. BORGER. It was Bruce who introduced her and spouse, Larry Johnson. So we buzzed her up on the old cell phone and spoke with her at length. She was gracious and seemed happy to hear from us. More later, on that.

As the evening came to a close, I was dead on my worn -out rear-end, having had but about 4 hours of sleep on the previous night, so I cashed it in, looking forward to a fresh start on the next day, which would bring the Frisch's Frolic into being, the brainchild of 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST, and what a smashing success it has been! The
next day, I was up at 9 (late for me, but I was so very weary) and started making my rounds.

On that day, I visited with 1960's SHIRLEY J. TUDOR, at her childhood home, which she now owns, and at which we'd spent untold hours together as children. I always feel almost as though I'm, "coming home," every time I enter that house. From there, I went to her daughter's home, 1987's SHARLENE N. MERKER, but my luck ran cold on this one. No one was home. So away I went to the picturesque and lovely little town of Germantown, to visit another close pal, 1961's P. LYNNETTE GARRETT. The radio was blasting, I could hear noise, but she was unable to hear the phone, so I left a message and went to the nearby home of 1960's CHARLES V. CARTER and wife Pamela. Darned if I didn't strike out, again! I found no one home there, either. "Oh, well," I thought, "it's about time to go to Frisch's now, anyway." So as I ambled along, I wondered who all might be there and also who might NOT be there!

It didn't take long to determine the answer. When I went through the front door, I immediately spied two of those vivacious 1961 girls, JUDY MARIE FRANTZ and her pal, PATRICIA LYNNETTE GARRETT. They were seated in the far corner, so I headed right back to say hello. It was like an obstacle course, though, as there were so many people who were already there. Mike West had come up with a real winner, with this idea. That was becoming more apparent with each year!

Even before I entered the restaurant, I encountered my classmate, J. DAVID MAYS, in the parking lot. He was gracious and accommodating, helping me to carry in the Piratans I brought, covering the years from 1946 through 1964. He was accompanied by his very beautiful, cover -girl-look spouse, Ann, who was equally gracious. We put them in the care of 1961's bubbly DONNA JEAN RICHARDS and PAULA R. WILSON, both of whom were as vibrant and engaging and personable as ever. The 1961 class seems to have a very high presence at all gatherings. They also stay very connected, throughout the year. I love hearing stuff like that!

Just off the top of my head, I will name a few people who were there, from my own Class of 1960, in addition to myself and the aforementioned Mays. There was ---to my delight---SHANNON N. ASTOR, EULA FAYE BAILEY, CONNIE BAKER, CHARLES V. CARTER, DELORES K. FAHRNEY, GERALD A. FULLER, CHARLES A. "BUDDY" LOWMAN, RICHARD LEE "DICKIE" PHILLIPS, T. BARRY RUSSELLO, JUDITH L. STALDER, JOANN K. STEMLEY, IDA JANE TREON, SHIRLEY J. TUDOR,GARY L. WARLAUMONT, MICHAEL S. WEST, DOROTHY J. WILLMAN, and THOMAS L. WOLF, JR. That was a darned, decent showing for a very impromptu event. Also putting in an appearance from that general era were CURTIS A. KEMP, who flew in from Florida, and WALLACE W. ROBBINS, who was accompanied by his attractive companion, Gail. Looking awfully dashing was none other than another fellow Miami Shores Kid, W. BAILEY HAWKINS, who mingled with everyone and really made the rounds.Although still coping with the loss of his oldest son (to cancer), we were blessed by the presence of AARON COUCH, too, who is always unfailingly gracious to everyone. We're all pulling for you, Aaron, and hoping life will be kinder to you, in the future. I was crushed, by the absence of my old friends, GARY D. RICHARDS and CHARLES A. HIGH, though. I had fervently hoped to see them both.

Lest I should forget myself, have any of you yet seen the good-looking offspring of the families of the Brodbecks
and the Hawkins? Well, let me enlighten you! When I got to Frisch's, there sat a great-looking couple in one of the booths. They introduced themselves to me and it was none other than the son of Vince and Dottie, BRIAN BRODBECK, Class of 1981, and his beautiful spouse. AMY HAWKINS, daughter of Bailey. These two people are SO attractive, I can only imagine how attractive are THEIR children! It was delightful to meet the children of people I've known all my life, though!

From the Class of 1970, there was DEBBIE SPENCER,
and from 1963, there was JERRY RAY PHILLIPS. The Phillips brothers were both there, obviously, and they get the prize for being the tallest people in the building, too. I also got to see my old pal, the ever-dashing and hand- some, RICHARD C. CALL, Class of 1962. Jean, we missed you! Rich said you were under the weather.

For 1961, in addition to the ones already mentioned, there was GARY R. FRANK, ROBERT W. BRANE, SALLY L. GILLETTE, and CAROLE J. LEWIS. So they also had a good showing. Representing the 1959 class was BETSY R. MURPHY, and I simply have to say that I'm always mystified by the poor showing for that class, which has SO many nifty members. It also has the never -ending efforts of GARY E. BARNES, so that makes it doubly mysterious to me. But I'm sure their attendees will pick up, as time moves along, and the word gets out a little more and a little more. At least, I hope so.

The 1958-ers were represented, too, of course. There was the eve-present BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, JAMES E. RICHARDSON, K. JUNE CRUTCHFIELD (an alumni officer), VINCENT A. BRODBECK, DAVID L. HOWARD and NICHOLAS P. WOLARY. Not bad, not bad!! VERY sorely missed were both WILLIAM R. HOWARD and his lifelong friend, RONALD D. "TOM" FEE. More later on that.

The Class of 1957 offered up THERESA M. MOSES, ERCELL P. PHILLIPS, and THOMAS D. ELLIOTT. It wasn't the usual blank (but for my sister, JUDY ANN RISNER) with the 1956 class this year, either. They also had ANITA RAE MASON, JOHN E. "JACK" FREIER, DENNIS A. MICHAEL, so not a bad showing for that class. In 1955, we had DONNA G. TUDORand FREDA P. FLETCHER. This was the 50-year mark for this class and many of the members were right behind us, over on Winwood, at the well-known and renowned Bush Play- house (at the home of the late JAMES BUSH and his widow, LOIS KOKOT.) They popped in and out all night, between the two places. For 1954, there was NORMA LEE POPE. From 1953, we had PATTI PRICE. I remember her well. She was popular, pretty, and smart, and a homecoming attendant, in National Honor Society, and athletically inclined. It was nice to see her. Also present was1948's JACQUELYN A. CRITZER (an alumni officer), and from 1970, THOMAS A. DORSEY (an alumni officer), and we got a visit from the indefati-gable MURL E. HUFFMAN, former teacher of all people WC, don't you know!?!?

Now, I know there are many other people who were there, and I did not list them. I need those of you who may have gone unlisted, to let me know who you are, and in what class year you are, okay. I want the next bulletin to be the one which corrects and completes our record for this function, and so I need your help to do that, please. My count, as I stood there and as I was walking in and out and all over the place, ran closer to about 130 people, with the in-and-out traffic. I've listed only maybe half of those, I'd guess. So I haven't done such a hot job of it, but I just can't walk around with a pen and tablet in my hand, every second. I find that to be non -conducive to my purpose, which is to visit with each and every person I possibly can. So I heavily depend upon my sometimes-faulty memory. I depend upon the rest of you, to keep me honest.

Not too long into the evening, I was thrilled to see that our phone call of the previous evening, had been effective, indeed. I looked up, and right before me, stood none other than SHARON LYNN BORGER, who had not been seen at a WC event since our 1958 class reunion. She looked wonderful and was accompanied by her longtime spouse, the aforementioned Larry Johnson. They spent a good deal of time with all of us and I sat with them for quite a long while, as Sharon and I reminisced and got current on the many years. Everyone was thrilled to see Sharon! Now the that ice has been broken, so to speak, we hope to see Sharon at many more future events.

Everyone wanted to see and talk with Eula Faye Bailey, as always seems to be the case, so she was busy going to one table, then another. There must be some sort of insidious, genetic pattern there, as her mother cast a similar aura and many WC folks talked away the night with her, too. It's that fatal, southern charm, I believe.

The PHILLIPS brothers, Dick (1960) and Jerry (1963) were such a fun addition to the mix and we sure do hope to continue to see them, at our future functions. Both of them had spent considerable time, over the years, in the pursuit of the rodeo circuit, which I found utterly fascinat-ing. Jerry had an album with him and I just had to have a peek at it. You see, many years and another lifetime ago, I had dated a rodeo cowboy. His name was Huey Stamper and don't you know, Jerry knew him, and even had a photo or two in the album. I could scarcely believe it! I looked closely, and surely enough, there he was. "It sure IS a small world," I thought to myself!

With Dick Phillips, Rich Call, Aaron Couch, and Curtis Kemp all in the same room, for the first time in many a year, there was a great photo opportunity, and all of them stood together to allow that to occur. Cameras flashed all evening, with everyone snapping photos of everyone else.

This was a truly rewarding evening, I have to say. If you weren't there, but could have been, I can't even BEGIN to tell you how much fun you missed! By around 9-9:30, all of us had left Frisch's and gone across the street to once again gather, at Fricker's. It's a habit which emerged by about the second gathering of this event. That seems to stretch it out for about another 2-3 hours, depending on the stamina of each person. (Count me out! I'm good for only about 2 hours---max!!)

In my next installment, I'm going to reiterate the report of 1959's Gary E. Barnes, on that day's golf outing, cover the dinner/ dance, and get current on the e-mails, which have been received since my return. So I leave you all with my usual wish for glowing health, great happiness, peaceful serentiy, and boundless prosperity. Ciao!

---And there you have it! More at 11--- B




Powered by Blogger