.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Monday, December 26, 2005
 
*WeCaTon* NEWS REPORT - 26 DEC 2005:

On this wonderful, Canadian holiday called, "Boxing Day," I shall begin what will obviously be the final WNR for the year of 2005. Mind you, I make no promises of its being completed today, only begun. Like everyone else, I suspect, I'm covered up in un-put-away China, crystal, silver, and linens, as well as shreds of wrapping paper everywhere and (of course) several of those well-intent-ioned-albeit-unwanted-and-useless Christmas gifts. If I finish things around the house soon enough, I'll either do the, "Seinfeldian re-gifting," or return the items for store credit. Pretty bad, eh? However, I'm now at the stage of life where I truly don't want anymore "stuff" unless it's "stuff" I really can actually use. Does that make any sense? In any case, let's get going.

We had tons of people during this bulletin period, who opted to send varying materials such as jokes, pundits, political promotions, greeting cards, advice, etc. They were1954's WILLIAM L. MCNABB, 1955's FREDA P. FLETCHER; 1957's BERTHA J. HOERNER, ERCELL P. PHILLIPS; 1958's BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, SUE E. SOWERS, WILLIAM R. HOWARD, RONALD D. "TOM" FEE, ROBERT W. "SMITTY" SMITH; 1959's GARY E. BARNES; 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST, STEVEN M. KOKOT, CAROLYN SUE MCCLOUD, JUDITH ANN SLIFE, DAVID G. OTT, DAVID A. BLAIR, RICHARD S. HOLT, EULA FAYE BAILEY, WILLIAM O. WALKER, LARRY M. PENDLEY; 1961's PATRICIA LYNNETTE GARRETT, JACQUELYN N. LESHER, SALLY L. GILLETTE, JANET L. CHANDLER, RICHARD E. KNEER, CAROL A. MUMMA, SHARON KAYE WENDELKEN; 1962's BARBARA T. O'NEAL; 1963's SANDRA MINIX. Thanks to all, and if any of you out there, have been searching for any of these people, let me know. We'll, "hook you up."

Yes, we had three deaths during our Christmas season. I always hate hearing that and I always pass those along, right away, so that no one misses a viewing or service or whatever they wish to do. Just to re-cap and make sure everyone knows, it was 1959's SAM SPEELMAN, on December 23. Sam was 65, I do believe. The next one was 1968's GARY L. CHESSMAN on December 21. The other one, 1973's SHERRY WYATT, and I think that was on December 5. I didn't know her, but I'll bet some of you did. My thanks go out to 1973's JEAN ANN MILLER, 1971's PAMELA K. SHIPLEY, and 1960's RICHARD S. HOLT. Additional thanks to Jean for taking the time to send the class year correction on yet another passing which was in the last bulletin. MARK WESTFALL was 1977, and not what I wrote, which I think was 1973. I always want to know, when I have made such an error, so that I can correct it. Hopefully, we won't have anymore deaths for a while, but bearing in mind that life is tenuous at best, I want to remind you all NOT to miss our functions. We just never know.

But let's focus for just a bit on Sam. I got e-mail from several among us, who were close to Sam. Figuring most prominently among them was 1961's JOHN W. OBERLIES, JR. John had lived across the street from the Speelmans throughout our high school days. I was often over there, too, as I was good friends with him, with CHARLES V. CARTER, 1960, who was next door to Joh, and with 1960's GARY L. WARLAUMONT, who was on the other side of John. Just a street or two away was BOYD H. JENKINS, also 1960, and around the next corner was JAMES L. ROSE. During that time, South Moraine Platte, right behindthe old Indian River Fruit Market, was a closely-knit little bunch of WC kids. We all knew Sam well. But those boys (Charles, John, Gary, and Sam) spent a ton of time together. John wrote, "It makes me sad to hear about Sam. His parents and siblings were all great neighbors. We played a lot of foot -ball in his big side yard and shared many other types of adventures. Does anybody remember when he stole his grandmother's car and then crashed it through an old barn door, on some nearby country road?" Yes, John, I remember that one. From Sam's first wife and mother of his children, 1961's SANDRA S. HOLLINGSWORTH, came the announcement that she'd be travling to Ohio to see him, once Christmas had concluded. She didn't get to do that, though. Lynn Garrett also wrote that she was so sorry to hear of Sam's death and said she always liked him. As for me, I remember Sam well. He was so brilliant, a standout in the crowd. He was personable, too, and seemed to have everything going for him. I, too, was sorry to hear about Sam.

For anyone who may be interested, there is a WC site which is moderated by 1985's M. CYNTHEA POTEET. It seems to get a lot of the younger alumni on it and I want to make sure you're all aware. You can get access by entering ( WCHS-Alumni@Yahoogroups.com ) So give it whirl, if you like.

Among our, "lost," are 1960's WILLIAM E. HECKER and 1957's DARELL L. TOBIAS. I've had intermittent little glitches with Bill's, ever since he joined us, but suddenly, everything is being returned again. Can anyone find out about that for me? MONTY ESTEP, 1960, don't you see him, from time to time? Will you make an inquiry? As to Darell, I think I'm just going to call him, directly. We talk from time to time, anyway. But if anyone already has a good e-mail address for him, please let me know now. Also, does anyone out there possibly have a current e- mail address for 1956's DENNIS O. MICHAEL? He gave me one, awhile back, I lost it, and have been trying to put him on the bulletin list, ever since. While we're on the subject of 1956 people, I want you all to know that I have no less than 6 copies of the 1956 Piratan, which I'm willing to sell. With their 50th year rapidly approaching, I think there may be some interest in those. Please be aware, though, as I've previously written, I wll NOT sell them to anyone who didn't attend WC. Some might wonder who (except us) would want them. But I've been approached by media people who are doing research and by sports reporters for high schools who are doing historic fact-checking. While I have offered to research whatever info they need, I've flatly refused all offers of purchase, which nearly all of them made.

We have those who are also, "found," though. Those of you who have been with me on this list for a very long time, are well aware of my 15-year search for my 1960 classmate, EDGAR L. "EDDIE" KELLY. I guess it's now been about 2 1/2years since I succeeded in finding him. He was in Boise, Idaho, at the time. He has now moved to Nampa, Idaho, with wife Marilyn. He and I maintained good contact, once I found him. Now, however, it's going to be even better. You see, I got a call from him, only about a week ago and he and Marilyn have joined the 21st century, AS WELL AS our bulletin list. Yep, I've got Eddie's e-mail address now and here it is:
( email Bonnie for address - ed. ) Eddie regularly enquires about 1960's CURTIS A. KEMP, RICHARD L. "DICKIE" PHILLIPS, WILLIAM M. ROHLER, 1962's RICHARD C. CALL, and AARON COUCH. So you guys make it a big point to contact him. I know he'd love to hear from not only those mentioned, but a number of others, too, who also include his big high school crush in English class, EULA FAYE BAILEY. He spoke about you, too, teacher DAVID E. COLLINS, and how he did so horribly in your class. He always tells me he was paying way too much attention to the feminine wiles of that oh-so-proper-and- gracious Southern Belle, Eula Faye, and that's why he had no time to listen to the proper way to speak. Ha! I imagine Eddie would get a HUGE bang out of hearing a line or two from you, Mr. C., after all these years. On a very sad note, Eddie suffered the loss of his first great- grandchild on October 8, when the pregnant 20-year-old first grandchild was involved in an auto accident and lost the baby. Many of you will recall that Eddie was again not with us, during alumni weekend, as he was having a lot of health problems and had to remain home for doctor commitments. He says, if he must, he's bringing along his doctor to Ohio next year. He was crushed when he heard all his old buddies' names and that nearly all of them were there. Anyway, welcome aboard, Eddie, and I'll take your name off the postal mailing list now.

On Chrismtas Eve, I had a long and windy and welcome call from 1960's CHARLES A. HIGH, JR. Charile and I, like many of my classmates, have known each other since I was just 6. We were also fellow Miami Shores Kids and we share many a fond memory, including his serving as best man at my first wedding (of many to follow, but that's another whole story.) Charlie has had a total of 17 surgeries, most of them relative to his heart problems. He told me they want to do another surgery on him. He is unreceptive to the idea. So I'm unsure as to what he's going to do. Charlie and I did a lot of reminiscing, of course, about the days of our youth, wished each other a very Merry Christmas, and when we ended the call, he told me he loved me, as he always does. I told him I loved him, too. It's important for us all to tell that to all the people about whom we care, isn't it?

Another conversation I had was with my lifelong friend and 1960 classmate, SHIRLEY J. TUDOR. Shirley was present at the send-off party which was held in honor of our former, WC marching band director, HARRY C. HAGGERTY. She gave a good report on it, and told me she was among a few of the older grads who attended. I guess most of them were 1970s and 1980s people, but don't know for sure. In any case, Shirley reported that the food was good, the company was great, and that she shared some good conversations with her old bandmate 1961's DALLAS K. MATHIS. Also checking in on this great occasion was MICHAEL S. WEST, who posted photos of the function and did some reminiscing about the WCHS Boys Choir, of which he'd been a member. We had a couple of interesting exchanges on that and he was particularly curious as to why the choir director, ROSS ROBBINS, suddenly disappeared, way back then. I didn't have the answer, but I'll bet someone out there does. Mr. C.? Mr. H.? After all these years, what can it possibly matter, even if it was something negative or something less than pleasant? Mike also made a few comments on how much he and Sally enjoy reading Reminisce Magazine. I always send it to them, once I've finished it. When they're done, it goes to the local rest homes. So your thoughtful gift, PHILIP H. WOLFORD, is well-read and much-traveled. Mike and I also had a lot of good exchanges about Christmas baking and the utter wonder of lemon zest, as well as his continuing efforts to teach me to cut and paste. But alas, I still don't seem to be able to grasp it. What's that they say? I think it's, "Gettin' old ain't for sissies!" How true!

Other matters which were broached by Mike were a nice call from Eula Faye, he wrote, as well as Eula Faye's intent to call 1960's BEVERLY A. BOWMAN, who is currently in Arizona with two of her three children. I have had no follow-up as yet, on the call. However, I can tell you all that Beverly's father, WOODROW W. BOWMAN, longtime proprietor of our beloved Woody's Market, will turn 93 on January 6. I know we all wish him well. To my knowledge, he remains in residence at his farm located in Waynesville, with wife number three, 1955's JACKIE DUNCAN, who was our homecoming queen. They have been married for 18 months now. Mike also posted the photos of the WC Florida Holiday Brunch, which were sent, courtesy of Rebecca A. Fuller, long-suffering and, "WC-challenged," spouse of 1960's GERALD A. FULLER. Many thanks, Becky.

Sticking to the,"all-things-WC" theme---don't we all?---I was browsing the WC items on e-Bay the other night when, "What to my wandering eyes should appear," but a new, WC-themed Afghan!! I liked it, on its surface appearance, and wanted to know if it was from the local area. So I wrote my dear friend, Bruce, to ask him if he'd yet seen it. It's way too late to make a long story short, but suffice to say that Bruce dived in and bought me one for Christmas and bought himself one, too, of course. So thank you so much, Bruce. Florida's version of winter is upon us and I will warm my tootsies with it. Bruce and his longtime companion, 1971's PATTY JO WHEEL-BARGER, had plans to break up the Christmas day into three visits (his sister, her parents, then to her house.) I hope you both had a wonderful day.

That perkiest of all WC alumnus, 1961's DONNA JEAN RICHARDS, and I have had exchange after exchange. We seem to feel that we can solve all the world's woes and neither of us understands why it isn't as simple for everyone, as it is for us. Ha! I'm fond of saying that you can always spot a knowledgable and well-informed and educated individual. It's very simple. Their views will always coincide with your own. "Double-Ha!" But that's so true, isn't it? We'll keep at it, Donna. Sooner or later, they'll all listen to us. Donna will be back in Florida in a few days. I hope to once again steal an hour or two with her, as we did on the last visit.

From 1954's WILLIAM L. MCNABB, came a request to find his classmate EVELYN GEORGE. When he read that 1962's LIELA K. GEORGE had attended the WC Holiday Brunch, he had hoped she was a relative. But in checking, we found that Liela was not related to Evelyn. so if anyone out there knows how to contact Evelyn, do let me know or do e-mail Bill, please. Bill also reported lots of snow in Ohio and we continue to discuss a few points of WCHS history, too.

From 1960's WILLIAM O. WALKER (actually, Karen) came a report that they continue to work in the area of Hattiesburg, Mississippi. It's hard for me to grasp just how long this storm damage claim stuff can last. But it was so tragic and so extensive and so devastating, some reports say it could go on for years. I have heard of no WC people who were involved in this, but I'll bet we had some, nevertheless, and just don't know about it.

Thanks to 1959's JAMES L. LINDSAY, for acting as the go-between when communications broke down between me and 1957's BERTHA J. HOERNER. Her e-mail was too full and my sendings were returned. But we got it all straightened out now. In fact, Bertha sent her sister's name to add to our bulletin list. So welcome to 1955's BARBARA ELAINE HOERNER (her current name is Richardson). We hope you enjoy the bulletins.

Lynn recently sneaked into Florida and went back home. We didn't get to see each other this trip. Her mother has been ill, her brother is handicapped, and her father is just about to drop dead, himself, from caring for the two of them. So Lynn's time was very tight and she couldn't get away. But we'll hook up next time, for sure. Lynn wrote an e-mail about her fond recollections of living down the street from 1962's RICHARD G. DENNY, also a Miami Shores Kid. She said she was glad that he and Liela had come to the brunch. Well, so were we! I wanted to see you, too, FREDA P. FLETCHER, yet another Miami Shores Kid. But Freda wrote and told me she didn't want to drive that far. Well darnit, Freda, we hope you'll change your mind by next year!

Aside from the Walkers and Lynn, we had a few others who did some traveling, too. Reported 1958's JAMES E. KECKLER, as of December 14, "Please hold all e- mails. We are headed north to find Santa and catch a cold." Jim wrote that he and Janet would be returning on this very day (12-26). So welcome home, Kecklers. We hope you found Santa, but hope you did NOT catch that cold. Considering a bit of traveling for next month is none other than 1960's DAVID A. BLAIR, who sent me a note to find out who to contact for his upcoming stay in Florida. I provided the info I had, but haven't heard any follow-up. How are your plans coming, Dave? Will you be spending your winter in Florida?

Cousin JUDITH LYNN SAMUELS and I got to talk a bit, one day last week. She and husband Bill spend a lot of time at the Eagles and the VFW. We may look into the possibility of a Spring Fest, in one of those places, or even a Moose facility, where I expect to be dining, come tomorrow, with JOANN K. STEMLEY and her spouse, Ron, whose anniversary it will be. It's also Judy & Bill's anniversary, by the way.

Now, we come to a great round of exchanges which took place between myself, 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST and THOMAS L. WOLF, JR. and our former teacher DAVID E. COLLINS, about the Class of 1960's Senior Class Play, "Fog Island." Many of you will recall that I played the part of Mrs. Williams to 1960's LARRY M. PENDLEY portraying Mr. Williams, which resulted in our referring to one another as, "My first wife," and, "My first husband." I had found the script book in my outbuilding. It was a bit "bug-eaten," but still usable. What great memories! I've sent the book to you, Mike, so that you can scan and enter whatever you can glean from it. When he's finished with that, Mr. C., it will be coming to you, just so that you can look it over and enjoy a few memories. When you have finished with it, you can then return it to me.

Mike wrote that he remembered his mother making him a great corduroy vest to wear for his role in the play. He actually found that paticular play on a DVD! I wonder if high schools are still using it? Mr. C. was the one who reluctantly directed us in it. His memories aren't nearly as fond as ours, by the way. It was Tom Wolf, as he so capably wrote to me, who played the role of the bumbling sheriff who spent most of the play in a windowbox, but popped out at the end, catching the villain. I vividly recall all that Tom and Mike wrote, too.

Then came a great e-mail from MARIAN K. HUSSEY, who told me she's 1967, not 1968. I'm so sorry about the error, Marian, and thank you for letting me know. I always want to correct those things. Marian is married to 1960's PHILLIP D. HOWARD, by the way. Marian is the daughter of two former WC teachers and she also wrote about many plays and productions in which she either appeared or helped. Many thanks for the great memories, Marian. Marian wrote something else, too, which I really liked. She wanted to know what was the big flap about saying, "Merry Christmas." Well, I'd like to know that, too, Marian. "Politically correct," my eye! I say there's just a bit too much political correctness on that one!

To you, MURL E. HUFFMAN, we wish you a wonderful and healthy birthday on December 29. My books says you were born in 1918. Now, that can't possibly be true. I must have made a mistake, didn't I? Mr. H. loves to hear from WC people. His address is 6531 Ocala Court Centerville, Ohio 45459. We wish an equally happy day to 1960's BOYD H. JENKINS (who lives in Okeechobee, Florida) and was also born on December 29!

Now, I'm down to the battle cry contest for our WC alumni weekend for the upcoming year. None other than 1961's NANCY J. ERTEL has come up with the winning line. I may have told you something else, Nancy, I don't know for sure. But in any case, as I re-read all my entries, I settled finally upon yours, which was, "Get you WC fix in 2006!" So let's remember that one, folks, and make your plans accordingly, okay? It's the second Saturday in October, as always. In the meantime, more infomation will soon be forthcoming about WC Florida Spring Fest. Thanks so much, Nancy. We can't get Nancy out of her Kansas home, folks, but she tells me that SHE gets her WC fix, each time she reads one of my bulletins. Oh, you're ever the diplomat, Nancy!

After writing that I hope everyone has had a great and safe Christmas and hoping you all have a wonderful and Happy New Year, I leave you all with my usual wish for glowing health, great happiness, peaceful prosperty, and boundless serenity. Ciao!

---And there you have it! More at 11--- B





Powered by Blogger