.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Wednesday, January 18, 2006
 
We*Ca*Ton NEWS REPORT: 18 JAN 2006:

---"My cup runneth over!" as it states in the Good Book. I, however, am referring to my WC folder. I had hoped to get this down to just about one each month, but it's look-ing as though every 3 weeks (4, at most) is going to be about the best I can do. This is good, though. It means you're all reading, you're responding, and (thank you very much) you are also enjoying the bulletins. So I humbly appreciate that and hope it will continue.

As is our usual practice, let's list our senders of PSAs, jokes, notices, photos, etc. But before I do that, let me forewarn you that I think this bulletin is going to be even longer than usual, due to the increcible volume of e-mail, so brace up! Grab your specs, your favorite beverage, and kick back. Away we go! We have on the roster, 1954's WILLIAM L. MCNABB; 1955'S FREDA P. FLETCHER, DONNA G. TUDOR, NORMAN E. JACK-SON; 1957's BERTHA J. HOERNER; 1958's BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, WILLIAM R. HOWARD, ROBERT W. "SMITTY" SMITH, RONALD D. "TOM" FEE, SANDRA L. BARSALOU, JAMES E. KECKLER; 1959's GARY E. BARNES; 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST, DAVID G. OTT, STEVEN M. KOKOT, JUDITH ANN SLIFE, GERALD A. FULLER, WILLIAM O. WALKER; RICHARD S. HOLT, BOYD H. JENKINS, DELORES K. "DEDE" FAHRNEY; 1961's JACK L. GODBY, SHARON K. WENDELKEN, SALLY L. GILLETTE, RICHARD E. KNEER, JANET L. CHANDLER, SANDRA SUE HOLLINGSWORTH, PAUL R. BEARDSLEY ; 1962's RICHARD C. CALL. BARBARA T. O'NEAL; 1963's DOUGLAS OTT; 1966's JOHN E. MCCLELLAN; 1970'S VICKIE JO GILBERT; 1971'S PAMELA K. SHIPLEY; and1985's M. CYNTHEA POTEET.

Somehow becoming, "lost in the shuffle," of late, are still 1960's MILTON R. WOLFE, RICHARD L. "DICKIE" PHILLIPS, WILLIAM E. HECKER, and 1957's DARELL L. TOBIAS, (whom I still must call.) If anyone has up-to-date e-mail addresses for these former members of our bulletin list, please advise me, post haste. Scoring a big plus in the area of maintaining good contact is 1960's JUDITH A. STALDER, who sent a notice to let me know that she will changing carriers and will notify me. Thanks, Judy, and way to go! Also falling into that category is none other than another 1960 classmate, J. DAVID MAYS, who gets absolutely NO credit for doing so. All of the effort from that particular Mays household emanated from wife Ann. Thanks so much, Ann. For those of you who are unaware, Dave and Ann made, "the big move," this month, from Ohio to Florida. They have moved to, "The Villages," which seems to be rapidly becoming the most popular retirement community in Florida for WC folks and we all hope you're doing well in your new place, Ann and Dave. Let me know when you are back online. From the spouse of 1962's RICHARD C. CALL (Jean) came some info I will have to use to track down Dick Phillips again, I suspect. Thanks, Jean, and I'll try the info you gave me! I appreciate that.

Listen, I know we're right down to the wire on where we'll hold the 4th annual WC Florida Spring Fest. Several of you have already anxiously inquired. I don't have a firm answer just yet, but please stand at the ready. Our host- ing pair of all former years, 1960's JOANN K. STEMLEY and spouse, Ron Hall, say they just can't do it this year. They are refurbishing their condo and readying it for sale so that they can move elsewhere. Of course, that could mean they may not even BE there by March 26. I've also gotten a number of requests to hold it in the general area of Daytona Beach, due to its proximity to the ocean. I'm also trying hard to enlist the aid of any WC alumni who live in The Villages, though, so that we can procure one of their clubhouse areas for it. That environment tends to present such a perfect setting for the type of gathering we have.However, if it should prove to be impossible to do that, I'm going to try for an Eagles Club or a Moose Lodge or a VFW, something of that nature, in which case it would be held in this area. I'll try hard to give a firm location, via special bulletin, within the next two weeks, at latest. Please bear with me.

Let's touch on the topic of our, "Memories of Dayton, Ohio," list, shall we? This was sent to me by my 1960 classmate, MICHAEL S. WEST, who (as most all of you are aware), came up with the concept of the now-wildly-popular, annual Frisch's Frolic. Obviously, Mike knows what works and what doesn't, for the moment I read this list, I knew he'd come up with yet another winner., which is precisely why I took the unprecedented step of send- ing along to all of you. It generated SO many repsonses, I can't even begin to tell you. (But of course, you know ME, and I'm going to try.)

For instance, from 1966's JOHN E. MCCLELLAN, came the news that the Gem City clock, while still there, does not work, but they are trying to get someone to repair it. I do hope it will be saved. From 1961's JUDITH L. SAMUELS, came a note saying she remembered all of those places and especially liked the skating rink and Lakeside Park. 1958's K. JUNE CRUTCHFIELD wrote that she had taken her daughter and twin grandnieces to the Schuster Center to view the old Rike's Christmas displays. June reported that they also had a trike shop there and a Santa Claus and that it all brought back such great memories. From 1956's J. DEANNA CHRISTIE came a reminder of the Carousel Club with its live entertainment and skating, during the 1950s. 1957's BETTY JANE HAMILTON sent a note of thanks for sharing such memories and a brief reminder that she, too, had been a Miami Shores Kid. From 1963's SHIRLEY ANN RANKIN came the simple message, "This was good!" Working downtown during this heyday of memories was 1961's PAUL R. BEARDSLEY, who remembered it all, as he reported for work each day at Daniels Paint Store. JOHN L. MONTGOMERY, Class of 1962, had a great memory jog, reciting the names of the cows beside the Gem City clock (Elmer, Beauregard, and Beulah, remember?) The cows faced Patterson Road, wrote John, as you drove into Dayton. DOUGLAS OTT of the 1963 class, coined a great phrase, by simply writing, "Thanks for the memories," while 1960's JUDITH ANN SLIFE wrote, "Ah, yes! Sweet memories. Thanks for sharing." Miami Shores Kid, 1957's BERTHA J. HOERNER wrote a wonderfully-amusing synopsis as she recalled Friday night trips to the White Castle with her father, where they got 20 burgers for a dollar. Bertha said they tried to eat them all but got awful stomach aches, so they finally wised up and saved a few for the next day. 1961's SHARON K. WENDELKEN, recount-ed the bittersweet memory of the burning of the Virginia Cafeteria. She said it occurred just as they were emerg-ing from Rike's and all the traffic seemed to stand still. She also wrote of seeing Vaughn Monroe ("Dance, Ballerina, Dance!") at one of the Main St. theaters, of Frankie's Forest Park and of skating lessons at the old Skateland. Some awfully good stuff popped in from 1960's DAVID G. OTT. He had a nifty list, which included the NCR Christmas parties as well as NCR Saturday movies. How well I recall both of THOSE! Dave also listed Old River, which I just loved, and pro wrestling at Sucher Park and Memorial Hall. (You really touched a nerve on that one, Dave. My father was one of the ushers for all those matches for 10 years or more. I went to all of them and got many free passes to various concerts, too, even Elvis Presley in 1955, and Little Richard and Fats Domino in 1957. One of my old pals, the late ARLENE OGAN, went with me to the last one.) Dave referred to the pro wrestler, Don Eagle, who was a local resident. Don Eagle called me by my first name, throughout my childhood. He and my father were good friends. But score another one for Dave when he wrote about the old burlesque theater. Do all of you remember the vicarious thrill of walking past the door of the Mayfair Theater, trying hard to get even the very tiniest peek at what occurred inside? It was so "bad" and exciting, wasn't it? Parents talked about it in only the most hushed of tones. But alas! The closest we ever got (most of us, anyway) was that "evil" Angelo's Drive-In. Finally, Dave touched on the old Keowee St. Frisch's. Boy, do I ever remember that one! We didn't have one yet in Moraine City, at the time. Dave wrote that his dad drove across town on Friday nights to get the Big Boys. I'll bet your dad wasn't the only one, Dave. But perhaps the most appropriate response of all, came from Miami Shores Kid, Class of 1959's JAMES L. LINDSEY, who wrote just one, single word, "Ssiiiiggggghhhh!" But a piece such as that one, seems to come along very seldom. We are all so fortunate to have someone like Mike, who is discerning enough to, "weed those out." So thanks, Mike! As usual, another of your ideas was a great hit. I'm so happy it gave us all the opportunity for such a wonderful, "community stroll" down that most pleasant place of all, Memory Lane.

Yes, we had deaths during this bulletin period, sadly. It seems we're never going to avoid that, of course. On December 23, the Class of 1959 lost its president when George Samuel Speelman passed away. We've done a bulletin and a re-cap on this already, but I just want to be sure everyone is aware. Thanks to Sam's classmate, GARY E. BARNES, for reminding me that Sam was their class president, and to 1955's DONNA G. TUDOR for sending the complete obituary.

Right on the heels of Sam's loss, on December 27, the patriarch of our own Mays family, OSCAR S. MAYS, also passed away. He was an astounding 101 1/2 years old and apparently had been quite a character. He and his late wife, Bertie, had been married for 74 years when she preceded him in death, apparenlty several years before. But what a legacy they left behind! My thanks to 1958's BRUCE E. CHENOWETH for sending the obituary of Mr. Mays and also to 1955's DONNA G. TUDOR. Both of them, and several others, seem to stay right on top of this sort of thing and it is appreciated so much. I need all the help I can get.

During that same period, we lost WCHS teacher, PHILIP M. HUBBARD, who died of a massive stroke. A lot of us were very fond of Mr. Hubbard and remembered him well. His service was held on December 27 and I'm sure WCHS was well-represented. It was yet another of our teachers, MURL E. HUFFMAN, who took the time to make us all aware of the sad loss. Thank you, Mr. H. I had heard nothing of that, when you wrote of it. My dear Sociology teacher, JAMES C. JOHNSON, tried very had to get the Hubbards' street name corrected from the mis- spelled Ceptford to the correct name, Deptford. But I was just way too dense to grasp THAT one. It was one of those, "slap-yourself-in-the-forehead" types of e-mail exchanges. Please tell me that YOU'VE all had them, too! Anyway, 1971's PAMELA K. SHIPLEY wanted to establish some sort of fund for remembrance of Mr. Hubbard, something like maybe a scholarship in his name. As it happened, I was able to put her in contact with my 1960 classmate, THOMAS L. WOLF, JR., who handles that very thing. So I trust we'll be hearing some-thing, if such a plan takes flight. Pam went to visit the widow of Mr. Hubbard, in fact, after he died. Also mourn -ing the loss of Mr. Hubbard was 1968's MARIAN K. HUSSEY, who sent fond remembrances of him, as did MICHAEL S. WEST, and 1954's JO ANNE MCCLURE. Thanks to 1987's SHARLENE N. MERKER for sening me his obituary, too. Perhaps we should all pay heed to the idea of1958's WILLIAM R. HOWARD, who took the time to write to his former WC chemistry teacher, MR. STRAHAN. Bill wrote, "Let's not wait to sign a funeral book to let our former teachers know how we feel about them." Great idea, Bill!

Tom also sent us a little "heads-up" on the former glee club conductor, ROSS R. ROBBINS. Tom wrote that Mr. R. is looking great, now that he's in his 70s, that he's in reasonably good health, and that his wife died about a year ago and he has already remarried. Mr. R. attends the retired teachers dinner each October and he and the new wife sang a duet about getting older, and (in Tom's words) "brought down the house." He said Mr. R. taught for about 5 years at C. F. Holliday, prior to retiring. Also checking in with a brief report on Mr. R., was another 1960 classmate, SHIRLEY S. MILLER, who reported that Mr. R. is living in Lebanon in a retirement home and doing very well.

Sadly, though, I must return to the re-cap of our deaths among the alumni. The only other, of which I'm aware, is that of Class of 1966's WILLIAM WENDELL CHANEY. Of course, we ALL remember what a mad debacle THAT was! Yes, it was all my fault, as I misread the first transmittal and thought it was a member of that class named JUDITH KAY KNIPP. Happily, and as we all now know, Judy is healthy and alive and well. Bill passed away on January 7, I believe. I thank 1960's RICHARD S. HOLT, for transmitting that obituary. You were all very kind to me and tolerant of me, for this incredible screw-up, and for that, I thank you. Sending special messages to, "bolster me up," were 1959's JAMES L. LINDSEY and GARY E. BARNES, 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST and WILLIAM O. WALKER (via spouse Karen) So that concludes all the death reports for this bulletin. Let's get on to more pleasant topics, shall we?

On December 29, our former (and still current) teacher, MURL E. HUFFMAN, celebrated his 86th birthday. Is that a milestone or what? We all wish you the very best, Mr. H., and hope that you have about 86 more birthdays.

From 1957's SHIRLEY ANN HILE came a thank you for the reminder of his birthday. 1961's NANCY J. ERTEL also sent greetings to Mr. H. from her Kansas home. It also happens to be the birthday of my 1960 classmate, BOYD H. JENKINS. So you're in good company, Boyd! Mr. H. took the time to send me a thank-you for the card which I sent to him.

In the early part of this bulletin period, I had a lot of long and windy exchanges with Class of 1955's FREDA P. FLETCHER, and yes, most of it was about our former home stomping grounds in Miami Shores. So I won't bore you with the details, but suffice to say that at some point, in the midst of our exchange, Freda added a third party (Doesn't this sound daring? Ha!) whose name is CHARLES RICE, SR. He's not a WC alumnus, but he WAS a Miami Shores Kid and he lives in Leesburg, just about halfway between Freda (Brooksville) and me (in Ormond Beach.) So now, w'ere thinking of meeting at a midway point. We had a good time with some of our old MS memories.

Speaking of exchanges, Judy (Samuels) and I had a few good ones, regarding husbands who are home all the time, as we often do, and also about RV life versus the motel/hotel thing. The jury's still out on both issues. I'll keep you posted on our earth-shattering decisions. Judy and her husband celebrated their 11th anniversary on December 27, as did JOANN K. STEMLEY and her spouse, Ron. Jo and I and our spouses shared our annual supper at the local Moose Lodge, on that very day. We've been doing that for about 4 years now and I've come to look forward to it, very much.

Is there anyone out there who has a clue as to the where- abouts of 1959's DALE A TRUSTY? Recently, I've had several inquiries about Dale and I'm wondering about him, myself. In the mid-1980s, Dale lived just minutes from my own house, right here in Ormond Beach. I used to visit him from time to time. But then he moved to the west coast of Florida, divorced, and from there, I heard he went to upstate New York. But now, all indications are that he's back in Florida again. A recent request I did on a people-locater indicated that he's currently in a small Miami suburb called Holiday.

In any case, I've got that computer whiz, 1961's NANCY J. ERTEL, also on his trail and I've contacted his once- brother-in-law, 1962's HAROLD PHILLIPS (via his older brother, 1957's ERCELL P. PHILLIPS), who was once wed to Dale's only sibling, LINDA TRUSTY. Ercell said Harold told him that he and Linda talk now and then, even though they've been divorced for years, so perhaps I'll get a clue, sometime soon. In the meantime, if any of you are aware of any further leads, please let me know.

We continue to add more and more names to the bulletin list, to my utter amazement. I am both humbled and very thrilled by the apparent interest in what I began as an accident." (Truly, this whole bulletin thing was just that. I did not set out to do this, at all.) So it's important to me that each of you is aware of just how appreciative I am, of your continuing kind remarks, especially when I make a stupid mistake and you offer me words of consolation and rationalization for my blunder. A number of you took the time to do just that, during this most recent bulletin period, when I managed (once again) to bury someone who wasn't yet dead. Those kind people included GARY E. BARNES (1959), JACK L. GODBY and LYNNETTE GARRETT (1961), MURL E. HUFFMAN (Timeless!), JAMES L. LINDSEY (1959), DONNA G. TUDOR (1955), KARL R. BURRUS (1964), and probably several others whose names or messages I may have inadvertently deleted (as I occasionally do.) But let's move along to the folks we've added, this time.

We have 1959's CAROLYN ELAINE EUBANK. She was an employee of WC schools and identified herself as having been secretary to Tom Wolf, another WCHS employee, now retired, but still very active in WC affairs. Welcome aboard, Carolyn! I'm especially happy to have another 1959-er. For some reason, we have a marked absence of class members from that year. Carolyn came to us through her relative, (sister-in-law), VICKIE JO GILBERT (whose current last name is Eubank). We have also added 1963's ANNA MAE STOKES, whose current surname is Mawhirter. Anna came to us through the efforts of her classmate, SHIRLEY ANN RANKIN, so we welcome you, too, Anna Mae! Shirley, herself, was in fact added during this period, also, by their classmate, DOUGLAS OTT. So this thing just keeps networking. It's incredible. Yet another addition came through Tom Wolf, in the person of 1962's FRANK W. SCHINDLER. What WC kid doesn't know THAT surname? We all remember WC Police Chief Howard Schindler. We already had RICHARD SCHINDLER. I can't imagine a WC without a Schindler, in fact. As as result of this encounter, Tom is sending me a nostalgic scrapbook! Tom and wife Susan stay pretty busy, I'm sure, with one son in Colorado Springs, Colorado, another in South Carolina, and the third in Cincinnati. I think you have older parents, right here in Florida, too, right? Moving right along, we are also adding a married couple from the Class of 1956, whose 50th anniversary grad year will be honored this October. They are RICHARD LEE BECKETT and CAROL ANNA PFISTER. I think they live in Alaska, actually. My sister, 1956's JUDY ANN RISNER, has spoken of being in contact with Carol and I believe she told me that. They may be my very first 1956 -ers on the list. Like 1959, that has been a very lax year for participants, for some reason. They came to us, via Dick's sister, 1958's LINDA L. BECKETT. So welcome aboard to all, and I do hope you enjoy the bulletins!

Well, I finally got an answer from 1960's JUDITH ANN SLIFE, as to her whereabouts on alumni weekend. I had fully expected to see Judy, but she wasn't there. She told me she was having popcorn and seeing a movie with her grandchildren. While I think that's a most admirable pursuit, I'm hoping Judy will join us this year, without fail.

Over the most recent weeks, I've spoken by telephone with 1960's EULA FAYE BAILEY, 1958's BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, and 1961's P. LYNNETTE GARRETT. I talk regulary with all of them, that's true. All are doing well and Bruce reports that his longtime companion,1971's PATTY J. WHEELBARGER, will be coming down for Spring Fest with him, this year. Lynn reported that she and Frank are probably going to get out of the cold and head for home in Las Vegas for at least a part of the winter season. Eula Faye is pretty excited about her own plans to attend her very first Spring Fest. So am I!

Celebrating her 64th birthday on New Year's Day was my lifelong friend, SHIRLEY J. TUDOR. Her 1955 sis, DONNA G. TUDOR, wrote to tell me what a great sister Shirley is, and how she is always there when Donna needs her. We hope you had a great birthday, Shirley!
Shirley's daughter, 1987's SHARLENE N. MERKER, reports that she had just returned on January 3, from a trip to Marco Island. Most of you will recall that Sharlene is married to JEFFREY A. SIZER, son of 1959's GARY L. SIZER.

Also taking a little trip during the holiday season was 1961's SALLY L. GILLETTE, who spent lots of time with her older son, MARK WARLAUMONT (1979, I think) and his wife, Viktoria. Mark's father is 1960's GARY L. WARLAUMONT, of course. They have two small boys (18 months and 2 1/2 months) and Sally was very much enjoying her grandsons and their parents, at their home in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Sally writes that the boys' parents stay terribly busy with their care. I'm sure!!

Another Miami Shores exchange ensued with me and 1961's LARRY D. GILBERT. We once again discussed that unflattering nickname for MS kids ("River Rats") and I told him I'd never once heard it, the entire time I lived there. But Larry says he did, and that it served to make more determined to do better at everything, especially his sports efforts. Larry also recalled that, as small kids, he and some of this buddies would go up and jump on the bumpers of the cars which were parked at the old water treatment plant and rock them back and forth. He said, at that age, he didn't know why couples were there, but he knew not to get caught, so they'd quickly run away. (Are you growing tired of reading yet, because I'M sure getting tired of typing. Ha! I've been working on this one for 3 days now, and lots more to go.)

From 1955's NORMAN E. JACKSON came some great news. Norm wrote to ask me if I knew anything at all of the whereabouts of 1958's NANCY JANE RODDY or JUDITH MARIE SMITH. Over the years, I'd heard both of them were deceased. (Oh my, here I go again!) As it happens, they are both alive and well and I'm SO happy that Norm let me know that. We have ENOUGH deaths already. It was Nancy's brother's (PAUL E. RODDY of 1956) wife, CONNIE RAE WRIGHT, who died. But with Judy, I think it was a mix-up of Judys, actually. Judy Smith was a homecoming attendant, but it was Judy Cummings who was queen, and I think I heard SHE died but at this juncture, I'm almost afraid to say I have heard ANYbody died. But we're sure happy that Nancy and Judy are both still with us. Thanks, Norm.

PAUL R. BEARDSLEY, 1961, was excited to learn that you, MICHAEL S. WEST, 1960, are into the ham radio stuff. He says he's going to contact you about that. Did he? Mike sent us a couple of reports, folks, from (as he put it, "reporting live from high above Gatlinburg") to tell us few vital statistics. For instance, once recent week, we had 44 hits on his blogspot. Mike wants all photos of anything WC, for posting. Mike also reported a great phone call on January 11 from MURL E. HUFFMAN. He wrote that Mr. H. loves music and attends as many as he can of various philharmonic concerts. Mike reports that Mr. H. and his companion, MARGE BOGAN, still pair up and go dancing on a regular basis. Great! Mike also reported that he's finally received my 46-year-old play- book of our senior class play, "Fog Island." Once he's gleaned from what he wants, he'll be sending it on to you, teacher DAVID E. COLLINS. Mr. C. directed us all in that effort, as many of you will recall. You may return it to me at you leisure, Mr. C., when you've completed all of your reminiscing.

Speaking of that (reminiscing), 1963's VICKIE JO GILBERT and I did a little bit of that, as we remembered life along old Route 25 (South Dixie Highway) where I lived on the river after leaving Miami Shores. We hung out in South Moraine Platte, behind the old Indian River Fruit Market, which was situated beside the old Beall's Drive- In. Vickie's in-laws had a place in there, too, it seems.

During this period, several of you have asked me for the dates on a few things. While I can tell you that our WC Florida Holiday Brunch is always held on the first Satur-day of December, and that our WC Florida Spring Fest is always held on the last Sunday of March (except when it's Easter, in which case it's the following Sunday) and I can tell you that the Frisch's Frolic is always held on the night beFORE the alumni dinner/dance (our crown jewel event), I'm sorry to say that I canNOT tell you when the dinner/dance is held, other than to say that I've always known it to be on the second Saturday of October, with no exceptions so far. This year, that puts it at October 14, if it isn't changed. I am NOT an official source for WC activities, just stuff we've all dreamed up together which has become popular and accepted. I do highly recommend that we all access the website of 1965's STEVEN F. SHADE ( www.wchsalumni.org ) to get the official scoop. Steve serves on the alumni board. I'm a mere peon, who knows nothing. But thank you for all that flattery, nevertheless! Remember this year's battle cry, by the way ("Get your WC fix for 2006!") That phrase was coined by 1961's NANCY J. ERTEL. I hope that website will answer your question, SHIRLEY MILLER, as we sure would like you to be with us this year. By the way, folks, Shirley participates in re-enactments of the Civil War. She wrote that it was also a very UN-civil war, I might add.

From the south of Florida, 1954's JO ANNE MCCLURE reports that she is staying very busy, too, with her job as an airline employee, her real estate projects, and with her other pursuit as an appraiser of precious gems. You are one busy person, Jo Anne!

Those travelin' WALKER people (1960's WILLIAM O. and his WC-honorary spouse, Karen) are staying very busy, too. They remain in the Hattiesburg, Mississippi, area and continue to work storm claims. They did get away briefly last month to fly up to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, for the wedding of Bill's sister, Geri, and they flew back to Texas around Christmas to visit other friends and family. We all hope to see them at Spring Fest, of course, and every function we can.

Rumor has it that our latest couple has been visiting here in Florida. That would be 1957's GARY D. MAYS and 1961's DONNA J. RICHARDS, of course. So where are you two now? Are you in Ohio? Are you in Florida? Are you gallivanting around the countryside or what? Details! We need details, darnit!

Our lovely and charming and gracious 1960 classmate, NANCY E. "COOKIE" BOWIE, is also very excited about Spring Fest this year. She will definitely be here this time, she reports. We all sure did miss you last year, Cookie, and we're really looking forward to seeing you, once again. Cookie is looking forward to see her grand niece and grand nephew and visiting with their kids, too. Cookie has also been doing a bit of therapy for her bad shoulder, and reports that it's coming along albeit slowly.

From Ann Mays came an extensive report on this brand-new WC destination (for many), The Villages. Ann wrote that it's sort of a city within itself, boasting roughly 55,000 residents and expected to go to 100,000. It has lots of golf carts, of course, and quite an array of restaurants, shops, attractions, golf courses, clubhouses, spa, and a number of other amenities. It must be quite a place now. I've been there, a while back, but didn't pay any really explicit attention to my surroundings, at the time. Right downthe road from it, though, is the winter home of 1960 classmate, MADELEINE D. CAMPBELL, and husband, Bill, who have an RV parked in the nearby Recreation Plantation. So Madeleine, if we should be able to hold 2006 Spring Fest at The Villages, we sure do expect to see YOU again, hear? Also uttering a syllable or two on The Villages was T. BARRY RUSSELLO, who wrote that he and his 1959 spouse, BETSY R. MURPHY, would surely not mind the idea of spending winters in a warmer climate. Barry stressed that no decision has been made and that if they do anything at all, it will be further into the future. In the meantime, Barry is making mental notes to ship me the newest version of a Dayton area telephone directory, when it arrives. Each year, he and Betsy are kind enough to do that for me, as well as sending me a beautiful calendar each year, from their business in Vandalia, The Realty Group. So many thanks to both of you and I'd sure look forward to having you both in my state, at anytime in the future, should it work out that way.

In closing (what!?!?), I shall ask that you all stay on the ready for further info on the location of 2006 Spring Fest, as earlier outlined. If you can believe it, I'm fresh out of text! I can scarcely believe I've completed this one. When I began it (three days ago), I didn't think I'd ever be able to plow through it all, but I have. I feel as though I've just completed the 880 relay. (Is that the long track event, Bill Howard, or the short one? You're our, "resident expert" on that.) In any case, I'm adding just one more good wish for all of you, to my usual closing list. You've all very likely passed out from eye strain by this time. Neverthe-less, I leave you with my usual wish for glowing health, great happiness, peaceful serenity, spiritual harmony, and boundless prosperity. Ciao!

---And there you have it! More at 11--- B




Powered by Blogger