.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Friday, February 10, 2006
 
RITA JUSTICE AUSTERA, '70, has checked into the blog from her home in Australia:

Greetings from Down Under. So good to hear from a fellow Pirate. :) Australia is both different and familiar at the same time. They have a lot of slang that makes you go "huh??" but I am getting used to it. Being married to an Aussie for 6 years before moving here helped. Sydney is very large and has about a 4 million population. It's very accessible, though. The public transportation is very good with trains going pretty much anywhere you want to go. There's also a monorail in the city. The harbour and beaches are beautiful. The water is so clear and turquoise blue. We apparently had record breaking heat this summer. New Year's Day was the hottest on record: 115. After living in Charleston, SC for 20 years, I was used to the heat and humidity but 115 is crazy. I found a website for a place in Melbourne called USA Foods. They carry a lot of stuff we had in the US that you can't find here. Such as Bisquick and Hidden Valley Ranch dressing. It's pricey but I hoard whatever I buy and use it for special occasions. My family sends me things from time to time, too, but shipping costs are very prohibitive. Everything here is pretty pricey for that matter. The Jeep Cherokee is $80,000. A Dodge Caravan goes for $65,000. A pack of Marlboro is $10. Houses start in the $500,000 range. A 2 bedroom apartment is no cheaper that $350,000. Good thing we're independently rich. haha. All in all, though, I do love it here and plan to stay. Good to hear from you. Say G'day to everyone for me. We are hoping to make the 40th reunion. Think I might get the prize for travelling the furthest distance. LOL Take care.

Rita: lovelyrita1951@gmail.com




Powered by Blogger