.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Saturday, June 24, 2006
 
WE*CA*TON NEWS REPORT - 24 JUN 2006:

Yes, I'm fully aware it's not time for another report, but my WC folder is once again literally bursting at the seams. Add the fact that I've spoken with SO many of you, and even seen a few of you, and my journalist's mind is racing a mile a minute. I don't want to forget ANYone, and I'm ever-fearful that I will. Besides, I'm also going to try NOT to have a 14-pager, this time.

Let's begin with the normal forwarded items, as is our usual practice. Those folks include 1955's FREDA P. FLETCHER, NORMAN E. JACKSON; 1958's WM. R. HOWARD, BRUCE K. COPSEY, ROBERT E. SMITH ("SMITTY"), BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, SANDRA L. BARSALOU, JAMES E. KECKLER, RONALD D. "TOM" FEE, KEITH E. ANDERSON (to say he's still vacationing, must be nice);1959's GARY E. BARNES; 1960's LINDA J. SNELL, LONNIE M. THACKER, MICHAEL S. WEST, STEVEN M. KOKOT, J. DAVID MAYS, DAVID G. OTT, RICHARD S. HOLT, EULA FAYE BAILEY; 1961's SALLY LYNNE GILLETTE, BARBARA J. TURNINGTON, JANET L. WALTERS, CAROLE J. LEWIS, SHARON KAYE WENDELKEN; 1962's BARBARA T. O'NEAL:1971's PAMELA K. SHIPLEY. Also, as a part of this section, I'd like to mention that I also heard again from Martha E. Craig, 1960's RONALD P. CRAIG's widow, who's pretty good about maintaining contact.

Before I begin filing through all the e-mail to re-cap the many highlights, I'm going to give you all the news on personal contacts I've had with WC people, just since that last bulletin. It's been a truly grand period of time for that, I must say. I will begin with a call I received in the early afternoon of June 13. It was from none other than my classmate, THOMAS L. WOLF, JR., who said he was right here in the area and accompanied by wife Susan, and also by another classmate, J. DAVID MAYS, and wife, Ann. Also, a WC couple, Carroll (as in Carroll O'Connor, the actor) and wife Janice were with them. They were not WC alumni, but they were WC residents. I assured them both that we would not discriminate against them because they were "official alumni." Ha!

As it happens, they were going to have supper on that day at Aunt Catfish's on the River, a very popular local eatery and a very old one, in nearby Port Orange. My husband I were invited to join them. Of course, we did so. Certainly, it's not necessary to tell you all that we had a delightful couple of hours together, discuss-ing a few memories, Florida lifestyles and living, the fishing, weather, past travels, etc. It seems the Wolfs travel a lot. This had been their third trip to Florida, during this calendar year.

My husband was all but besotted with Dave's talk of his love for fishing. He (my husband) is a longtime tournament fisherman, who has won many dollars and many trophies in the Florida waters. He knows the lay of the waterways around here, in the same way many of us know what road to take in order to get home. So they found a great deal of commonality in the fishing conversation.

Dave and Ann had plans to head back to their place in The Villages, while Tom and Susan were going to the west coast of Florida to visit her parents. Carroll and Janice were longtime visitors to this part of the state, and told me they stay at the same motel in the Daytona Beach area, each year. We had a tableside view of the picturesque Halifax River, throughout the meal. My only regret was, due to the seating, I didn't get to talk to you, Susan, as much as I would've liked and I hope we can change that on our next meeting. I offer many thanks to both the Mayses and the Wolfs for including us in their plans. It was truly a delight!

My phone visits with WC people were many, during this period. Naturally, there was my longstanding and close friend, BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, 1958, and his companion, 1971's PATTY J. WHEELBARGER. Bruce has bought another vintage car (not at all to my surprise), he reported. We may be seeing it at the Frisch's Frolic on the night of Friday, October 6. Patty continues to diligently work on "gathering her troops" for the Class of 1971. She tells me her goal is to have a larger turnout for her class than we always have for my class of 1960. Well, I wish you great luck with that effort, Patty, and I'm also willing to offer all the help I can. But my 1960 folks are dedicated to old WC and we always turn out in great number. But do NOT let that discourage your effort! I applaud and encourage ANYone who's making this kind of effort, regardless of class year.

Naturally, I also had a couple of chats with other of my regular callers. One of them, as always, was 1961's P. LYNNETTE GARRETT. She was hard at work on the community garage sale for Germantown. Boy, how I'd have loved to have attended THAT garage sale! I believe she mentioned that 1961 classmate, CAROLE J. LEWIS, was there to give her a hand, too. Was she, Lynn, or did I get that wrong? Lynn and her husband, Frank L. Hawvermale, have been married for nearly 20 years, I do believe. Yes, I still have a big crush on Frank. In fact, when I call the house now, Frank and I always talk first, if he gets to the phone before Lynn answers. Somehow, I suspect Lynn isn't too concerned about this.

Attention, BOYD H. JENKINS!!! Where are you? If anyone out there has heard from Boyd, please let me know. An inordinate amount of time has passed since I heard from him last. At that time, he alluded to some sort of "glitch" with his heart, as he put it. So I'm a bit concerned. Boyd, if you're reading this, please send me a few lines so that I know you're okay.

During this past several weeks, not only did I speak with the formerly-long-lost EDGAR J. "EDDIE" KELLY (1960), but I also received 2 e-mails from him. On the day I spoke with him, he'd just spent the afternoon in a lengthy visit from his old pal, AARON COUCH, who took a trip out to Idaho to visit not only his brother, but also Eddie. He said they had a great visit and he's really looking forward to October.

Eddie has plans to rent a car and drive around with Aaron. He says he's going to bunk with CURTIS A. KEMP, who'll be in his RV. As the 3 of them tour all the old haunts, they plan to pick up 1962's RICHARD C. CALL and take him on all their ventures, along with RICHARD L. "DICKIE" PHILLIPS. Wow, what a crew! Are you reading this, Rich? Curt, you'd better crank up the old RV. It's going to have a whole, new, fun experience. You'd also all better brace up for quite a weekend!

The only "missing piece" for this group will be 1960's WILLIAM M. ROHLER. As it happens, I've also had a recent conversation with Bill. As you all may recall, he lives in Bombay Beach, California, and his place is on the edge of the Saltan Sea, the largest inland body of water in the U.S. Bill lost his wife nearly 3 years ago, but is bouncing back and will remarry on November 25. As a result of that, he's paying for a big wedding, he told me, and can't make it again, this year. But he hopes to join us next year. I know we all wish good luck and great happiness for Bill and his new wife.

Steady contact with EULA FAYE BAILEY continues, and always will, I'm sure. We try to talk at least 2-3 times, each and every month. Eula Faye is currently spending some extra time with her children and grand -children, all of whom live relatively nearby her home in Overland Park, Kansas. She will be with us all, come this October. That's always great news. I remember a relatively recent year, when she missed attending due to health problems. It just wasn't the same.

Also making recent contact was old friend, and also Miami Shores Kid, WALLACE W. ROBBINS. He's having quite a tough time dealing with the loss of his sight. But who wouldn't? He told me that he's got about 15% vision in one eye, and there is some sort of something which increases it by about 3%, but that is it. Apparently, even with today's advances, there is nothing they can do for him, as the cause of his loss of sight is macular degeneration. If any of you are in his neighborhood, do drop by and see him. I know he'd be happy for any visitors. He said he suffers from intermittent bouts of depression His address is 13 Gunckel Avenue. It's pretty near to the main Esther Price store in Dayton on Wayne Avenue. He says he thinks he may wind up living with his sister, SHIRLEY ROBBINS, who just returned to the area from Florida, about 2 years ago. I know we all wish him well and hope that things will somehow get better for him. He's got a new e-mail address, so for now, someone must be reading mail to him or his daughters are doing it.

Does anybody out there remember VERLA JEAN WARD? I know YOU do, GARY L. WARLAUMONT! I actually know many of you do, for you've asked about her, over the years. Well, I also talked to her recently. She was at WC throughout the 10th grade and then moved down to Franklin. It's odd to note she moved from Franklin, Ohio, to Franklin, Tennessee, where she now lives. Jean,cousin JUDITH L. SAMUELS , and I hung out together, when we all lived on Miami Shores Drive during our childhood years. We were often joined by SHIRLEY J. TUDOR. Anyway, Jean is in the process of planning her wedding to her high school sweetheart from Franklin, this coming August 4. She would have been in my 1960 class at WC.

By the way, I did finally make contact with Shirley. We talked one night for about 45 minutes, solving all the world's crises and problems, in just one conversation. Why on earth can't all the world leaders seem to do that same thing? Ha!

E-mails and phone calls flew back and forth with me and 1961's DONNA J. RICHARDS. We also did all right with solving all the world's problems, as it were, but mostly we were discussing her attempts to put together a 45th anniversary gig for her class. I'm sure, knowing her, it's going to be truly a roaring success. Donna and I knew who each other was, when we were in high school, of course. But we didn't really "know" each other. She's another wonderful "bonus friend," who has resulted from this bulletin, as are so many of you. I couldn't even BEGIN to explain to all of you what a wonderful enrichment of my life it has been, to be so blessed with the accident of doing this bulletin!

Yet another caller was 1960 classmate, the Honorable Judge CHARLES A. "BUD" LOWMAN III, and we chatted for quite a spell. I also spoke with his fiancee, 1961's SALLY L. GILLETTE. Plans are progressing for their August 26 nuptials, they reported. I know we all wish them well. Now, don't you two forget to send me an invitation to the reception, hear?

During my chat with Bud, he made the suggestion that the more informal Friday gathering, always held at the Moraine City Frisch's, be held elsewhere. In the past, several others have made that suggestion, but it goes over like a lead balloon, I've found. Several times, I've put that to the test and you can believe me when I tell you that EVERYONE wants that old tradition to stay just as it is. It's the nostalgia factor, of course. That Frisch's is the one, the only, and the original to which we all went as kids. We're all way too bonded to it, it seems. So I'm sure the event will remain there, but certainly everyone can go wherever they wish, that's for sure.

Just guess who else called me? Well, it was none other than SHARON LYNN BORGER! I thought we would NEVER hang up the phone and I was indeed hoping we wouldn't. Sharon and I shared a long and windy conversation and it was utterly delightful We'd gone all the way through school together, of course, and shared some very early, childhood memories and the entire conversation was a joy! Many thanks for that call, Sharon!

But she's far from the last one. Just 3 days ago, I got a call from SHANNON N. ASTOR, also of my 1960 class. Shannon and I shared a few fun adventures in our junior and senior years, along with other pals, who included BEVERLY A. BOWMAN, CONNIE BAKER, LORETTA CRIDER, and JOYCE L. AUSTIN. We did a bit of reminiscing, too. It was also a fun chat and Shannon will also be with us, come October.

Shannon is in the market for a 1957 and a 1958 year -book, and I thought sure I had at least the 1958, but I don't. My suppliers have run dry and I'm poking about everywhere, in order to replenish. I've sold a slug of those yearbooks, this calendar year. Still remaining plentiful, though, and much to my surprise, is the 1956 edition and I still have about 5 extras of that year. It's their 50th, so I thought sure they would be sold by now, but they aren't. I still also have one spare 1953, one 1954, one 1964, and one 1976. That's it, though, and I can scarcely believe it. Most of you know the rules by now; I sell only to WC people and only for exactly what I paid, plus shipping. I will buy any and all, from any source, regardless of year, condition, or number of autographs. Keep that in mind as all of you schlock around garage sales, old book sales, attics, or any other source.

There was yet another chat with CHARLES A . HIGH, JR., who continues to spend more and more time with his wife, children, and grandchildren. Like so many of us, Charlie is a Miami Shores Kid, too, and the most basic person I've ever known, I do believe. That is his most endearing trait, in fact. Charlie has a wonderful take on life, and says that every morning he awakens and is still, "this side of dirt," he knows it's going to be a good day!

Surely all of the 1960 class remembers our class vice-president, THOMAS D. YOUNG. Yes, I have also re-connected with him. Tom has lived in Xenia with wife Sandi, for many years. He is retired from Delphi and tells me they lead a very quiet lifestyle. I spoke to both him and Sandi, as she is a very longstanding friend of mine, too. Tom is now on our bulletin list. Let's hope we get to see him and Sandi, in October. Over the years, there have been many, many inquiries about Tom, that's for sure. Among those who have asked about him are CHARLES V. CARTER and also his old golf instructor, MURL E. HUFFMAN. Let's hope everyone sees each other in October, at the latest.

We've got a few folks who are, "MIA," and I need to know if all is well. For instance, I wanted to know if all was well with 1958's HARRIETTE E. DOGGETT. I'd sent a couple of e-mails to which she didn't respond. I thought that to be very, "un-Harriette-like," so I took the step of writing to her daughter, Cherree, who was very prompt in replying. She advised that Harriette is fine, but terribly busy caring for her mother, who is nearly 83 and fading fast, the victim of Alzheimer's. Also, her spouse, Danny, is having some health problems, too, and on top of all that, her computer had crashed and she just got it working again. So I'm happy to report that all is well there. I hope to hear from her soon.

And what's with your e-mail, FREDA P. FLETCHER? I keep on getting items bounced back to me. I'm told by people who are for more expert at "computer-ese" than am I (Mike West, to be exact) that your mailbox is full. So hey, empty it, will you?

Also from 1958 came an e-mail from JUDITH MARIE SMITH in Lake Havasu City, Arizona. Judy's e-mail was one of reminiscences of LARRY E. HOWARD and how he'd been best friends with her first spouse, 1956's EARL R. MURPHY. Judy was happy to get the contact info on Larry and Pat. She also reported that she relayed my message to Earl, but sadly, she also reported that Earl is not currently in good health. He is aware of his class being in the spotlight for this year's alumni gig, though. I'm still hoping to get Earl's e-mail address and add him to our ever-growing list. Thanks for the newsy note, Judy!

As always, 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST wants us all to send material, particularly photos, for his wonderful blogspot. If you haven't yet seen this, please do so, by going to ( http://www.wchs.blogspot.com/ ) Mike keeps so much WC info posted on there. You can even get my old bulletins for about the past 3 years. I don't know if anyone has them for that first 2 1/2 years or not. So do send those photos to Mike at his e-mail address W4MSW@charter.net Be sure to identify who's in the photos. Thanks.

What a hit was the immigration story which I sent from 1955's FREDA P. FLETCHER!! We got so, so many
positive responses from people in varied classes who included not only the aforementioned Mike West, but also 1970's VICKIE JO GILBERT, 1958's SANDRA L. BARSALOU, 1961's SHARON K. WENDELKEN, and 1967's MARIAN K. HUSSEY. I must admit that the general contention on this one was pretty much the same and that no one felt that illegal aliens should be permitted to avail themselves of free U.S. benefits. No surprise there!

Marian, many thanks for info on LARRY E. HOWARD and I got some other info on Larry, too, so it's good to know people are paying attention and reading. That's how we get to connect people, isn't it? Also carefully reading was 1955's DONNA G. TUDOR. She wrote me back to say she's just been very busy and is also caring for an ailing husband, Rod. Good luck, Donna!

Reporting from 1954, was JO ANNE MCCLURE, who wrote that she just bought herself one of those little Toyota Yaris cars. They are so cute! All of you will remember Jo Anne as the person who still works full-time at about 3 different jobs. It's time to stop that, Jo Anne, and come to join us the alumni gatherings! She is also searching for Jeannine, Janice, Blan, and Mary Anne, but no last names! Help me out, Jo Anne. We may be able to locate some of these people, with a bit more info.

In the last bulletin, I obviously should have chosen my words more carefully. My classmate, THOMAS L. WOLF, JR., was under the impression that I meant to state that 1959's GARY E. BARNES was the one who came up with the name of, "WeCaTon News Report," for our bulletins. Of course, that's the original name of our yearbooks and it dates back to the first one in 1915. I meant only to say that it was Gary who had come up with the idea of using it as the name, not that he'd invented it. So my apologies if I misled anyone. I'm getting old, though, and you guys have to cut me some slack. On the plus side, I'll bet I can still type faster than most of you. Ha!

My 1960 classmate, JUDITH ANN SLIFE, and I, have had several exchanges. It seems I may have prodded her into agreeing to join us for alumni weekend. Isn't that right, Judy? I hope so, because we're going to be looking for you. Please don't disappoint us, okay? It seems Judy and a friend are planning a trip to Florida during the month of October, too.

Okay, I did it again. In the last bulletin, I stated that 1953's JACKIE DUNCAN was the 1955 queen. Now, I assure you, of all the people in WC, I'm the one who would know for SURE that it was DORIS D. TUDOR, aren't I? That was a mere type-o, which I failed to catch, even as I proof-read. This was pointed out to me by Doris' sister, DONNA, and also by NORMAN E. JACKSON, 1955. But someone also got the 1954 queen incorrect. That was JANICE WIREMAN. So we got all of this correct now!

Word has reached me that June 25 will be the date for the retirement party of 1961's SAMDRA J. CASEY, who is the longtime spouse of classmate, TOM W. WELLER. Many of her classmates have been named as possible attendees, including CAROLE J. LEWIS, P. LYNNETTE GARRETT, JANET L. WALTERS, SALLY L. GILLETTE, JUDY M. FRANTZ, EDNA L. GRAY, DONNA J. RICHARDS, and I'm sure there are others, too. As I was glancing through the yearbook for 1961, I couldn't help but notice how very many of the girls in that class were extra-ordinarily gorgeous. But I also noticed, when I saw the photo of you, JACK L. GODBY, how dashing you look in it. Yes, you look studious, due to the stylish horn rims. But somehow, as only you could do, your appearance went beyond the glasses, by far. You achieved a look of distinction which few can, even dashing! But then, that's the way you are, as we all know!

From 1973's JEAN ANN MILLER came a request for some WC website help, which she asked me to send to the capable Tom Wolf, who can very likely help her with that effort. That's great, Jean! We need all the efforts we can get, especially to promote the crown jewel event of the alumni dinner/dance. All our alumni committee works SO hard to bring that event together for its awesome conclusion, each year. It is so very deserving of the highest possible attendance. Let's all be sure to plan on it, and also be sure to get those reservations submitted, as far in advance as possible.

Try as I might, I can't avoid this subject, and yes, it is two more deaths. Most of you recall that the 1960 class recently lost CAROL ANN KNEAR. Carol had originally been married to another 1960 classmate, the late JACOB FRANKLIN EBY, JR. They had two children together. After Jake died, which I understand was many years ago, Carol was remarried to the man named Keister.

The death notice came to us, courtesy of DELORES K. "DEDE" FAHRNEY, yet another 1960 classmate, and thanks SO much, DeDe. That was the only notice I received about Carol. By the way, for those of you who might want to correct Jake's class year to 1959, I want you to know I'm already aware that he IS in that book. However, he did NOT graduate until 1960, with our class. The pictures were taken in September, the books went to print in November, but by the time the year ended, Jake was short by a credit or two, as was so often the case, back then. So he wound up with the 1960 class for his official graduation.

From our former teacher (who still teaches), MURL E. HUFFMAN, came a notice about the death of a man named Paul Moore, who was the spouse of MARY PAT MOORE, longtime WCHS dean of girls. He died on June 10. I didn't know Mrs. Moore, but I'm sure many of you did. Thanks for that, MEH. (Hey, I'm getting a bit better. I'm now addressing you by your initials, in my never-ending efforts to overcome the urge to call you, "Mr. Huffman." I have to do this in very small steps, you see.)

When 1961's NANCY J. ERTEL read this notice and then saw the name, MURL E. HUFFMAN, she wrote she got a huge knot in her stomach, thinking it was him. Fear not, Nancy! Our MURL E. HUFFMAN is all but invincible and will likely attend ALL of our funerals.

Mike West was curious about the years during which Mrs. Moore was dean of girls. I was unable to answer that and referred him to Mr. H. Whoops! I mean MEH. Let's keep those news tidbits flowing, and let's try for as FEW as we can, on the deaths, obviously.

Okay, gang, it's the third day of summer and I have the care and feeding of 3 boys at my fingertips. They are 9, 10, and 11, so need I say more? It's time for me to hightail it out of here. So in the grand tradition of The Lone Ranger, I offer you my "Hi Yo, Silver! Away!" for this edition of the WeCaTon News Report. Naturally, I also leave each of you with my wish for glowing health, great happiness, peaceful serenity, spiritual harmony, and boundless prosperity. Ciao!

---And there you have it! More at 11--- B





Powered by Blogger