.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Wednesday, June 13, 2007
 
WECATON NEWS REPORT!!!--- (date uncertain)

My pesky calendar tells me that it was March 6, the last time I sent out a full report. I'm beginning this one on April 3, in the hope that I will possibly complete it in time for just maybe two-month lapse, or less, if possible. After all, I don't want to lose any of you, as readers. Since you were all loyal and faithful and true, throughout my interstate moving experience, I don't want to take any chances. I might also add that you were all very kind to me, as regards correcting my last, long report, which was (I just know) oh-so-lax in memory, as regards who among you attended which function. But I sure did get a ration of grief on that whole FDR/Teddy Roosevelt goof, when I made that mention of the TVA. However, as I've written so often, I need all of you to keep me straight, anyway., and I guess that was no exception. Believe it or not, I'm still putting things away, organizing things, and most of all, still hanging items on walls. (I could have opened my own art gallery, little did I know!)

There's lots of news, so let's get going. Before I begin our regular news, I'll list our folks who sent me forward -ed materials, as always. They include1954's WM. L. MCNABB;1955's NORMAN E. JACKSON, FREDA P. FLETCHER; 1957's LINDA L. MCAFEE, ERCELL P. PHILLIPS, DARELL L. TOBIAS; 1958's RONALD D. "TOM" FEE, BRUCE K. COPSEY, WILLIAM. R. HOWARD; 1959's GARY E. BARNES, BETSY R. MURPHY; 1960's RICHARD S. HOLT, MICHAEL S. WEST, J. DAVID MAYS (via wife Ann), JOANN K. STEMLEY,GERALD A. FULLER, (via wife Becky), C. SUE MCCLOUD, STEVEN M. KOKOT, LARRY M. PENDLEY (via wife Judi), DELORES K. "DEDE" FAHRNEY, CHARLES A. "BUD" LOWMAN III (via wife Sally), FRED L. DOOLEY, JR., DAVID G. OTT, JUDITH A. SLIFE; 1961's SANDRA S. HOLLINGS-WORTH, SALLY L. GILLETTE, BARBARA J. TURN-INGTON, SHARON K. WENDELKEN, DALLAS K. MATHIS, SANDRA L. BROCK, LARRY D. GILBERT, PAUL R. BEARDSLEY; 1962's RICHARD C. CALL (via wife Jean), BARBARA T. O'NEAL; 1963's SANDRA A. MINIX; 1964's RICKEY A. BUSCH. As all of you regular readers are aware, we didn't hear from a few folks from whom we usually do. But on the plus side, we did hear from a few folks, from whom we usually don't. Thanks to all, though. Even if it's not something which is personal, at least we know you're okay.

In addition to the list of forwardings, I want to back up to last month for just a bit. I forgot to mention I heard from my "birthday twin," 1960's DEVONA S. TAYLOR when she called me, as she always does, around our joint birthday. We talk about 3-4 times, annually, and. perhaps I'll even get to visit her now, since she's not so far from me.

But Dee and I weren't the only ones having a March birthday. Indeed, I'm sure there are many others who haven't yet told me. But I did happen to know about the March 14 birthday of 1961's SALLY L. GILLETTE, and I set about trying to contact her to wish her a good one. I tracked her down, through the cell phone of her new spouse, 1960's CHARLES A. "BUD" LOWMAN III, only to find that they were whooping it up in Florida at The Villages. Now, let's see, I hope I can get this right. Also present at her birthday celebration were 1960's DANNY L. WALTERS and wife Phyllis, also J. DAVID MAYS and wife Ann, and I'm not sure, but I think maybe one other couple, ("my first husband") LARRY M. PENDLEY and wife Judi were also there. Is that right or wrong? Anyway, it sounded like a great group of WC folks having a wonderful get-together for Sally's birthday. She told me they were having a truly wonderful time, once I coerced Bud into finally giving her the phone. I love you, Bud, but it was HER birthday so I will call soon to talk to YOU, okay?

My 65th birthday arrived just 2 days after Sally's (no, she isn't 65, she's only 64), and so many of you were so aware of that (my birthday, I mean), I was bowled over. I heard a rumor to the effect that someone from the 1961 class had put out a bulletin to tell all of you that it was my 65th birthday. Gee, I wonder who that could have been. I was thinking perhaps YOU might know, NANCY J. ERTEL, 1961. Any ideas? Ha! In any case, I've got a list about a mile long, of those among you who sent me birthday greetings via the internet and/or via the postal service and/or the cell phone and/or the land-line. I thank you, one and all. Listing each one would make this bulletin even more ridiculously lengthy than it normally is, for there are well over one hundred of you. Bless you all!

Anyway, my birthday was fun and busy and surprises were in store, too! My lifelong friend, 1958's BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, drove down from Miamisburg for my birthday, along with his 1971 longtime companion, PATTY J. WHEELBARGER. They were my first, WC, overnight guests. (You may recall that NORMAN E. JACKSON, 1955, and wife Nancy, were my very first WC visitors here, but didn't spend the night, although they were certainly invited to do so.)

Anyway, my husband and Bruce have become pretty good pals over the the past several years, and we're also both very fond of YOU, Patty. So it was quite a pleasant visit. We went out for supper at our nearby, favorite Italian restaurant and spent the evening in a great visit, catching up on all the news. The following morning, we all went out for breakfast at the nearby Perkins Restaurant. Bruce and Patty tooled around the city of Kingsport a bit, taking in the considerably-panoramic scenery (which I learned long ago is so very commonplace in Tennessee) and returned with a beautiful pair of 14k gold earrings for my birthday.

Patty is pretty sneaky, I learned. On the previous eve, we had had an earring discussion, during which I had described in detail a very favorite pair of mine, and the fact that I'd lost one. She described that same event in her own life. Well, she sure did remember my description well! They somehow managed to return with a pair which were nearly identical! I wear them often and think of you both fondly, Bruce and Patty. Thanks again! But as we all know, all good things must come to an end, as did Bruce and Patty's visit. They returned to Ohio on the following day, leaving me officially one year older than they'd found me. We are very much looking forward to their next visit.

Before I get to the e-mails which were submitted for our news, I also want to cover a few phone calls I've received during this bulletin period. There was my 1960 classmate, T. BARRY RUSSELLO, who some- how never misses that birthday phone call. I make mention of your call inparticularly, Barry, due to the update you gave me on the health of your and Betsy's niece, 1961's OTHEL MURPHY.

Barry reported on that day that Othel remains much the same as my description in the original, special bulletin about her. She has extensive family support and care, which is wonderful. He told me that Othel's husband is at her side at each and every opportunity, for hours on end. Othel also has two sons. I wasn't aware that one of her sons is married to the daughter of 1959's LARRY A. BOWMAN. That was a surprise to me. Wouldn't you all have thought that I, of all WC people, would've known that? Anyway, thank you for the update on Othel, Barry, and for remembering me on my birthday.

By the way, BETSY R. MURPHY (1959), I get a lot of requests about updates on Othel's condition. Do you have any news for us yet? I think there are SO many of us who care about Othel's welfare and the state of her health. Her classmate, DONNA J. RICHARDS, recently e-mailed me, stating that she had gone to the facility in Miamisburg to visit Othel. They didn't have her in there any longer, Donna said. I also recently got a request from 1961's NANCY J. ERTEL and from SHARON K. WENDELKEN. So if you can share anything with us, we'd all appreciate it.

The search is officially off for a good e-mail address on my 2 "lost" 1957 people, THERESA M. MOSES and THOMAS D. ELLIOTT. Theresa and I did finally figure out the problem. We were both very slightly at fault, but with this e-mail stuff, all it takes is one letter, one dot, one dash, and you're done, as we all know. In any case, they're back on board, and thanks for help from classmates, ERCELL P. PHILLIPS and BETTY J. HAMILTON. Ditto for VICTOR C. NOEL, who has also recently rejoined our list following an absence which I believe was due to an address being changed and failing to notify me. Thanks to 1955 class member, FREDA P. FLETCHER, for getting Vic back into the fold. We have also hopefully added 1955's CARL R. MAYS back into the mix once again, thanks to efforts of his sister-in-law, Ann Mays, wife of his 1960 brother, J. DAVID MAYS. Thanks, Ann. We also received an update on the address of 1964's STEPHEN A. ELLIS. Thanks, Steph. It sure is tough to keep things current if people don't give me their new e-mail addresses, should they change them.

Does anyone have any info on Class of 1958's KEITH E. ANDERSON? Keith sent me an e-mail in whch he requested people try to contact him through his cell phone number only, as he would be gone for quite a spell due to serious illness in his family. He sent no other details, so I have no update on this situation. In any case, Keith, I know we all wish you well, whatever the situation may be. Please let us know.

Many thanks to you, NICHOLAS P. WOLARY, 1958, for taking the time to update me on your new e-mail address. I trust we will see you in October? As most are already aware, Nick and wife Marilyn have also become Tennessee residents. They are located in Sevierville, not too far from another,very longstanding Tennessee resident, 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST and wife Sally. There are a BUNCH of us here now!

GARY E. BARNES, Class of 1959, sure does make the rounds! Gary reports that he and wife Pat took a trip at the end of February. They visited with 1958's JAMES E. KECKLER and wife Janet, in Florida. On the return trip, they dropped in on 1957's DARELL L. TOBIAS at his Franklin, North Carolina, home. Good going, Pat and Gary. Keep traveling and keep send- ing in that news!

SHIRLEY ANN HILE, 1957, has written to say she won't be attending her 50th in October. She has a prior commitment, but hopes to be in Ohio for at least a Sunday morning brunch with her classmates. Well, you will surely be missed, Shirley, and we all do hope to see you on that Sunday morning!

Many thanks to 1961's RICHARD L. DOLL for his appreciative remarks about the WeCaTon Reports. I humbly thank you, Richard, and hope that you will continue to find pleasure in the reading. It is just that type of e-mail which motivates me and keeps me so interested in continuing this. I'm addicted to it now, as it's been nearly 7 years (come November) since I began the reports, although they didn't originate as reports. As I continually tell everyone, this has been the most rewarding and pleasant accident of my life. It's simply thrilling to me that so many of you want to read them.

Sadly, it is time to address our losses for this bulletin period. The first one who comes to mind is 1957's BERTHA JAN HOERNER. When I last heard from Bertha, she indicated that she intended to be in Ohio for her 50th. Sadly, that will not happen. She died on March 22. Bertha was a fellow Miami Shores Kid. I vividly remember her and the entireHoerner family. Sincerest condolences upon your loss. This news came to me from Bertha's sister, 1955's BARBARA E. HOERNER. Thank you, Barbara.

About March 30, I believe it was, the son (and only child) of NANCY L. BOWMAN, (Class of 1965?) died at his mother's home. Nancy, as I'm sure we all know, is the younger daughter of WOODROW W. "WOODY" BOWMAN, the late founder and owner of Woody's Supermarket which has just recently been razed along old Route 25. Her son (MATTHEW ANTHONY S. "TONY" TANKERSLEY) was but 41 years old. If he was a WC grad (and I assume he was), his class year was probably about 1984, I'd guess, but don't know for sure. I further believe that Tony was also the nephew of 1959's ROBERT L. TANKERSLEY. This is really and truly tragic, and I know we all wish the best for Nancy and the entire Bowman family, in this time of tragedy and loss.

On March 31, 1957's RICHARD E. BOWDEN died.I certainly recognize that last name, but I didn't have a good recall of this alumnus' face, as I normally do. I looked him up in the 1957 book. I do clearly recall a Barbara Bowden and I assume they were related.It is very sad when any of us dies, but especially so when it's during the calendar year of your 50th. My thanks to 1960's RICHARD S. HOLT for sending this one.

A recent conversation with my sister, 1956's JUDY ANN RISNER, revealed the death of the mother of my classmate (1960), DOROTHY J. WILLMAN, who is the spouse of 1958's VINCENT A. BRODBECK. To the entire Brodbeck household, I know we all offer sincerest condolences.

We also extend condolences to 1956's GARY LEE. GAULDIN and 1959's VIRGINIA K. GAULDIN, upon the recent loss of their mother, who was 91 years old. I'd never have normally known about this one, I don't think. But as it happens, the Gauldins are cousins to my classmate and close friend,1960's THOMAS D. YOUNG, with whom I'm in regular contact, and even moreso with Tom's wife, Sandi. I remember both of the Gauldins, as I'm sure many of you do. I learned that the Hile family are related to Tom, also. I guess I probably knew this, way back in school, but over the years---well, you all know only too well how that goes!Anyway, it was Tom who told me of the death of Gary and Virginia's mother.

Some of you may remember JACK W. STRADER (SR.), Class of 1948. Jack died on April 11, at the age of 77. I don't remember Jack and didn't know him, but I sure do recall the Strader name vividly. I got this news from 1957's DARELL L. TOBIAS, who was apparently well-acquainted with the Strader family. Thanks, Darell.

More recently, on April 14, the Class of 1959 lost one of the most unforgettable characters who ever trod the WC halls, in the person of FREDERICK W. (aka, "Freddy Bill') PRICE. Did anyone who ever went to WC not know Freddy? If so, I don't know who they might have been. He was ornery and loud and fun and full of mischief (among other substances of which one might be, "full of," I might add). He was a mere 65 years old. How sad! Thanks goes to his 1959 classmate, GARY E. BARNES, and to 1960's RICHARD S. HOLT, for transmitting this info to me.
We also have a few illnesses and rehabilitational situations to cover. I had a recent conversation with 1957's GARY D. MAYS. During our chat, I asked the status of the health of his brother,1963's DOUGLAS M. MAYS. Gary was guarded in his response, indicating that Doug is very private about this issue, but did offer that he's doing well. We sure don't mean to pry, Doug, but all your old WC buddies are very interested in your welfare and we all wish you well. You are, after all, a member of our very own, "Royal Family of WC."

Gary also told me of a shoulder operation which was done on his sister-in-law, 1960's NANCY E. BOWIE (aka, "Cookie," who was our very own one-name wonder, before anyone ever heard of Cher, along with that other WC, one-name wonder, "Tootie," aka 1959's CAROLYN E. PENCE.) Anyway, Gary said Cookie is doing much better now. I got your phone number, Cookie, so you're in trouble now. I intend to call you soon. Thanks for sharing info with all of us, Gary. We appreciate it.

My sister also told me of the current illness of her classmate, (and lifelong friend of us both) ANITA RAE MASON, who's a cancer survivor. Apparently, Anita has had a really nasty cold or flu or some such thing, and at this writing, she's at home trying to regain her health. Her sister, 1957's SARAH M. "JACKIE" MASON, was providing for her care and looking in on her.I think they both live in the city of Miamisburg. The two of them, and my sister and me, spent untold hours in each others' company, when we lived right across the big field of the old Elter Farm in Miami Shores, as all 4 of us grew to maturity in that warm, secure, oh-so-wonderful environment.

My latest reports on RICHARD L. SCHINDLER, 1958 (right?), indicate that he's certainly still ill, but hanging in there. Classmate DONALD I. MCCOY has had relatively recent contact with Dick and had planned on taking him out for lunch. Did that occur, Don? If so, give us a brief report, okay?

We have several WC people trying to make contact with other WC people. I'm always so thrilled when I get an e-mail, asking me if I can provide contact for this person or that person. Not only did Don ask me how to contact Dick, he also asked me how to reach 1955's CARL R. MAYS, saying he had a photo he wanted to share with Carl. Did you get him, Don?

Also trying to reach Carl was VICTOR C. NOEL. I do hope you were able to reach him, Vic. Did you have any luck? Carl, if you're reading this, it seems you're the popular guy for this bulletin period. So contact Vic and Don, if you haven't already done so.

In my own class, 1960, MICHAEL S. WEST made inquiries about WILLIAM O. WALKER, due to his recent accident, as did THOMAS D. YOUNG. We all want to know where you are, Bill, and HOW you are, so tell Karen to send us an update. Mike sent in an e-mail in which he reported that another of our 1960 classmates, BEVERLY J. HAAS, is doing well and is in good health. She still lives in the tiny town of Alpine, California. In fact, she's probably fewer than a hundred miles from WILLIAM M. ROHLER, who's in Bombay Beach, California.

My old pal, SHANNON N. ASTOR, telephoned me recently and we had a lengthy chat. Shannon still is employed, and working steadily.She informed me that she's considering a move to Tennessee,also, from her lifelong, Ohio home, once she retires. She called yet again, on the morning of April 20 with sad news of the death of JANIE MARIE YARCKOW of 1960's class (current name Clayton). She'd been hospitalized in Dayton at Miami Valley since Jan. 7, undergoing treatment for a variety of health issues and just generally poor health, Shannon reported. I know we're all sorry to hear that. Shannon always had maintained contact with Jane, over the years, and says Jane had always had a very tough life and also didn't take very good care of her own health, in deference to caring for others in her life.Jane had suffered from a number of serious health disorders. She hadn't yet even turned 65. Shannon is adopting Jane's pet cats. I have no details at this time on the funeral arrangements but it can be accessed on the internet, I'm sure, in a day or two, probably.

Our own JUDY M. FRANTZ, 1961, is employed at Miami Valley Hospital, by the way. I learned a while back, that she's not in a position to know about these things, though. Judy is in an entirely different office of the facility. So thanks for letting us all know about Jane, Shannon.

My world caved in just a bit when I got an e-mail two weeks ago from Pamela J. Carter, spouse of 1960's CHARLES V. CARTER. She wrote that she has breast cancer. She's currently undergoing treatment for it. She has a fabulous attitude about it, even humorous, and says she knows she's going to be fine. I know her well and she's got what it takes to get through this. Charles, on the other hand, isn't doing nearly as well as Pam. But he's going to get through it, too, simply because Pam will PULL him through it! We're all pulling for YOU, Pam, so do keep me posted, please.

Most of you remember the fact that, on or about
March 19, WILLIAM O. WALKER and his WC-honorary spouse, Karen, were driving on a 2-lane road in Dade City, Florida. They were hit at a head-on angle, unavoidably, by a driver who was changing a radio station and drifted over into their lane. This could have been the end for them, but they both survived, thank God. Karen suffered many extensive soft-tissue injuries and many more severe cuts and bruises, I am told. Bill, however, fared much worse, with all the same injuries, plus a broken leg. They have put a steel rod in that leg which will be there for life. We're planning to appoint him as our official weather forecaster, wherever he may be!

This report came to me through the joint efforts of GERALD A. FULLER and his WC-honorary spouse, Becky, and also JOANN K. STEMLEY and spouse, Ronald R. Hall. All of them were en route to visit Bill when they called me. I spoke to him that day, too. He seemed in good spirits and thrilled to be alive. I was told that Karen was staying with Bill's mom, who is a Florida resident. By the way, the accident took place in Hernando County, not Hillsborough County, as I'd originally quoted. I knew it was one of them and was quite sure I'd pick the wrong one, as I did. Shades of the TVA and the FDR/Teddy Roosevelt debacle, eh? Thanks to FREDA P. FLETCHER, 1955, for the correction.

Continuing in his successful and speedy recovery from his cancer operation in February is 1958's WILLIAM R. HOWARD. No, Bill, you didn't tell me that. However, your fellow retired police officer (of the Class of 1961) PAUL R. BEARDSLEY, did tell me. So thank you, Paul, and keep getting better and better, Bill!

Also on the plus side of WC health issues, I got a quick note from my former Social Studies teacher, JAMES C. JOHNSON, and another note from my former Civics teacher, MURL E. HUFFMAN, so I'm happy to know that both of them are in apparently good health.

Attention, STEVEN F. SHADE, Class of 1964! How did we do on reuniting that class ring with its owner? Was there any success there? I'm sure hoping so. We got some incredibly-detailed assistance (not surprisingly) from 1960's THOMAS L. WOLF, JR., who's a wellspring of WC info and data. Tom was right on that one for us. Did we do any good? Bill Howard formulated the brilliant notion of contacting Josten's, who made the ring, to see if they possibly keep any such records.

Our official records keeper (as far as I'M concerned and for the purposes of this WeCaTon) is MICHAEL S. WEST, 1960. He wanted an update on our WC losses. The official records keeper for the school is, I believe, the aforementioned Steve Shade. So if any of you hear of a WC death and you get it to me, I'll always pass it on to all of you and Steve is on our list. But make sure one of us knows. f there is any possible way, we sure don't want to miss any of them, although I wish I didn't have to report any. Mike, I did read your list, and I think it is complete, aside from the most recent ones. I'd suggest a quick e-mail to Steve, as I'm sure he's far more well-informed than I.
But thanks for all the consistent efforts in continuing the regular posting of reports on the blog you made for us all.

A positively lovely e-mail came through from 1954's JO ANNE MCCLURE, who was very gracious and so appreciative of my writing the WeCaTon Reports. Well, Jo Anne, as I keep writing all the time, it's so rewarding to receive those types of e-mails. It's the stuff which keeps me motivated. By the way, let's all remember to market Jo Anne's condo, which is for sale in south Florida, if anyone's in the market. Also checking in with those encouraging words of praise was 1957's BETTY J. HAMILTON, who definitely will be with us in October, 1959's JAMES L. LINDSEY, who didn't yet say if he's going to attend, but loves the reports,

On March 10, a coincidental, chance meeting took place in Dayton. It seems that 1960's T. BARRY RUSSELLO and1959 spouse, BETSY R. MURPHY are fond of a little place in the Oregon District called CoCo's. So they dropped in there for a little toddy on that night. Well, lo and behold, right there in that same spot sat Barry's 1960 classmate, JUDITH A. SLIFE, with one of her friends. Not much time had passed until they made the connection. Judy and Barry and Betsy hadn't seen each other in many years, but believe me when I tell you, neither Betsy nor Barry have changed that much over the years. I got an e-mail from Betsy about it, and the very next day, Judy wrote me one, too. Their stories were of course identical, and Judy told me she recognized Barry immediately. I'm not surprised at all! See, you Russello people!! I keep telling you both how good you look. Now, maybe you'll believe me, eh? Judy also sent a lovely e-mail, thanking me for the job on writing the WeCaTon.Thank you, too, Judy, for being a faithful and enthused reader. It just does not get any better than that, for those of us who have the, "journalist's gene," in us. Since I'm no longer doing newspaper reporting, it gives me more time to make these things even longer. (Yes, yes, I hear a couple of groans. Ha!)

What fun it is for me when I pull up an e-mail which is from 1960's SHIRLEY J. TUDOR! I grin from ear to ear. You're smiling, too, aren't you, Shirley? This is a big deal for her and me. You see, I was, "on her case," for at least 5 years about this e-mail thing. Well, it seems that hell finally DID freeze over, eh, Shirley? Love it!

From DELORES K. "DEDE" FAHRNEY, 1960, came a great note in which she expressed her feelings of loss for the warm, Florida winters, since moving back to Ohio. I can understand that, DeDe, having been in Florida for nearly 30 years, myself. But since I chose to move to Tennessee, although there sure ARE cold winters here, it's nothing to compare to the intensity of those in Ohio. DeDe, if you follow through with your thoughts of Tennessee, I'd guess you sure won't be sorry. I'm not!

Now here's a cheery piece of news for all of you. We all know how involved is 1959's GARY E. BARNES in our WC events. He always attends everything and jumps in with both feet to help with anything any of us may need. We all thank you for that, Gary, by the way. He is also listed as one of our most accomplished and prominent athletes in the school's history, right? Well, our Gary and wife Pat are great-grandparents! How about that? I looked at the photo and this is one good-looking boy! Braden Barnes was born on March 14, to Pat and Gary's son, Chris, and his wife, Sara. Heartiest and sincerest congratulations to the entire family! Writing about your great-grandchild, Pat and Gary, reminds me that it's time ask for an update on the grandchildren of 1964's KARL R. BURRUS. You and your wife were blessed with twin grandchildren, were you not, Karl? So give us an update, please! How are they doing? Are you spoiling them? Your note of last month did not go unnoticed and thanks.

Lest I should forget this, I want to make sure all of us are aware that we have professional services of which we should avail ourselves. When WC people have WC needs, it would behoove us to seek out one of our own, to provide those services. In that group is the Vandalia business, The Realty Group. Its owners are 1960's T. BARRY RUSSELLO and 1959 spouse BETSY R. MURPHY. I've heard great things about the level of their professionalism and knowledge and I've called them, myself, over the years, from time to time, to get advice on real estate matters.

There is also insurance available for any properties you might buy, via The Insurance Store of Ohio, which is owned by 1958's DONALD I. MCCOY. I've got first -hand knowledge on that one, as Don is my agent for my Tennessee home. He's Johnny-on-the-spot, each and every time I have a question, need paperwork, or want copies of anything. Rates are reasonable and he covers more states than just Ohio, obviously. I feel very secure, doing business with a fellow Miami Shores Kid, too. I know there must be plenty of others among us who offer varied services, but these two are prominent in my mind. Don, by the way, offers a wide variety of insurance services, not just homeowners.

Are we going to talk about the destruction of the WC legacy, Woody's Supermarket? Well, of course! How could we NOT do that? I found it rather ironic that the first hit from the wrecking ball occurred on my 65th birthday. This is a sad occurrence, almost tragic, in fact. I will maintain, always, that the city of WC should have bought that entire building and made it into an historice site, using it as a city facility. That market put WC on the map, literally. It was WC history and meant a lot to SO many. It's quite simply a travesty that it is no longer there.

Joining me in mourning for Woody's, and also offering to get pieces of it for me, and/or sending me photos of it were 1955's NORMAN E. JACKSON, FREDA P. FLETCHER; 1958's BRUCE K. COPSEY, WM. R. HOWARD, RONALD D. "TOM" FEE, BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, RICHARD L. JOHNSON; 1959 's GARY E. BARNES;1960 's THOMAS L. WOLF, JR., RICHARD S. HOLT, MICHAEL S. WEST, STEVEN M. KOKOT, EULA FAYE BAILEY; 1961 's SANDRA L. BROCK, PAUL R. BEARDSLEY, DONNA JEAN RICHARDS, LARRY D. GILBERT, SHARON KAYE WENDELKEN;1962's BARBARA T. O'NEAL, 1963's JERRY T. EUBANK, 1964's RICKEY A. BUSCH, 1970's VICKI JO GILBERT; and 1987's SHARLENE N. MERKER. Thanks to all, for the many articles and photos and comments you sent.

Most amusing, though, was probably the numerous plans to get bricks and other pieces of the store for me. For instance, 1959's GARY E. BARNES wrote that he would do things the right way, if possible, and ask permission. But he also wrote if that didn't work, he'd, "Send out the Pirates." From 1958's WM. E. HOWARD came a note in which he said you'd think they had something valuable on that site, the way they were guarding those bricks! (Well, they DO, Bill! It's the heritage of the entire city of WC!) Anyway, Bill ventured onto the site and got a few bricks for me. He obviously ignored the no trespassing signs, retired police officer that he is. A note from RICHARD S. HOLT, 1960, also offered to spirit away some bricks for me. Yet one more of my classmates, the ever-distinguished and oh-so-proper THOMAS L. WOLF, JR., (retired from the WC school system, yet!) wrote that he'd survey the situation and see what he could do, following with, "Perhaps under cover of night!" How I loved that, Tom, as I sat here smiling at a mental image of you, in an attempt to "heist" bricks from Woody's for ME, even slinking around the site at night, trying to avoid being apprehended. Ha! I was truly touched and I know that would be a simply over-the-top thing for YOU to do. But I've got to tell you, I'm so thrilled that you still have that touch of mischief!

Some of you, I know, are wondering just what I will do with these Woody's bricks. Yes, I'm going to tell you. I will, of course, take every single one I can get. It is my plan to have a bricklayer construct a circular (if I get enough of them), little structure in which I will plant a few nice flowers and in the center of which I will erect my red-and-black bell post with the Pirate flag on the side of it. (There will also be a little sign which will commemorate Woody's, of course.) So do keep the bricks for me!

Many of us will sorely miss walking beneath the big, lighted, Woody's sign, won't we? Well, fear not! You don't have to miss that, at all. Guess what? I'm sure you've all read in the paper about someone buying the entire, big sign, complete with the apostrophe, haven't you? Well, do you know what that was? No, it wasn't me. It was my very close friend, 1958's BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, and he bought it for ME!! I was just overwhelmed, I have to tell you, when he told me the news. He said he thought it would look great on the hillside of our new place in Tennessee. Well, he is definitely right about THAT. I may even mount it on my brand-new and beautiful, two-story deck.

So how are all of YOU going to see it? Well, that just happens to bring me to my very next topic. It seems that our WC Florida Spring Fest has died of natural causes, due to my move from Florida, I'm sorry to say. I had hoped someone would pick up the ball and carry on with that function. But it didn't happen. So I guess we also will no longer have the WC Florida Holiday Brunch, either, now that I'm gone from Florida.

But new horizons loom in Tennessee, folks! Just as you predicted, NANCY J. ERTEL, 1961, I'm going to propose a gathering in Tennessee. Further, I'm going to propose that it take place at my new abode. I have a 260' driveway, a huge yard and acreage, a gigantic house, the highrise deck, a covered porch, and more-than-adequate facilities to host this shindig.You will all finally meet my spouse of 32 years, and I know a lot of you think I just, "made him up," because he doesn't attend anything. Ha! But he simply won't leave home, that's all.

Obviously, I can't do it this year. I'm still finishing off the move. But do mark your calendars for the last Saturday of April in 2008. (Won't that be April 26? I think so, but not 100% sure yet.) In the brief time I've lived here, I've learned that Tennessee touches more state borders than any other state. That's especially true of this little northeastern corner where I live. It's a wonderful area and so accessible. Naturally, I'll have it later in the year, due to the loss of Florida weather. So this means we'll have the function here in April and the official one, as usual, in October in Ohio. That's a nice 6-month spread each year, eh? I'm awaiting all suggestions for names for our now-moved-north, new, annual gig. I like the Spring Fest words. But with what words shall we preface that? ("WC Tennessee Tour Spring Fest?" That's a bit too wordy and long, isn't it?) How about, "WC Tennessee Trot?" Anyway, the important part isn't the name, it's being here. So I'm giving you all more than a year to plan for this jaunt. Please do be here for it. I think you'll love it.

There are reasonably-priced motels nearby. Also, I've got 6 bedrooms here. We use but 2 of them. There's one which will be reserved for Bruce and the other 3 are up for grabs. Some of you are already aware of my, "houseguest rules," but for those of you who are not, I shall recap them for you:
1.) Elvis was never fat.
2.) Elvis never abused drugs.
3.) Elvis was always faithful to Priscilla.
4.) (This one is a new addition.) Please be sure you know the phrase, "guest towels," is no more than an expression. Don't take that too literally, please. Do you remember those oh-so-neatly-arranged towels, which all match and look brand new and hang on the towel bars in the bathroom? Well, they look brand-new because they ARE! If you use them to wipe off water and toothpaste and dry your hair, etc., then I must launder them and they will not have that brand-new look anymore. In fact, I will have to buy all new towels, if you do that, because I want those towels to ALWAYS look brand-new.There are dozens of towels in the house for you to use, but do NOT use THOSE! I can literally HEAR the smiles spreading across faces of those among us who have repeatedly experienced this same thing!

So bearing in mind all these, "rules," please do send me your reservation request, so that I can, "book you" into one of my suites. Available for use is a room with a bed which is a standard double size.Also available are my 2 downstairs areas, which adjoin.One is a single bed and the other is a king. The people who use this area will need to be quite friendly, as king -sleepers will have to walk right by the single-sleeper, in the event of a bathroom call in the wee hours. So keep this in mind. It is my hope that, by that time, I'll have the Woody's sign placed, secured, and able to be lighted, once again. As is always the case, we all should plan to bring enough food and drink for all in our own party, for the duration of the day. Tentatively, we will, "launch the party," about noon. Check your map on Expedia.com and/or MapQuest to see how long a trip it is for you. My complete address (which you will need, in order to get the mapping online) is 305 McTeer Drive, Kingsport, Tennessee 37663. I sure hope to see (among many, many others) all our WC folks who are Tennessee residents.Like Florida, there are many of us!

Naturally, our crown jewel event is always going to be the annual dinner/dance. I've gotten a note from our alumni officer, 1958's K. JUNE CRUTCHFIELD, in which she requests that I remind all of you to mark your calendars for this year's event, which will take place on October 13, 2007. Of course, that is on a Saturday. I will not be driving quite so far, THIS year. "Lord willin' and the creek don't rise," So this would mean that our Frisch's Frolic will take place on the night before, October 12. Don't miss that one, either. I definitely plan to be there, at both events. While I'm writing about events, by the way, I want to mention that June's spouse, 1958's JAMES E. RICHARDSON, also works diligently on all of our events. He's not an officer, but he does plently, and I want to take each and every opportunity to recognize the efforts of not only Jim and June, but of the entire alumni board. But it also just so happens I have a soft spot for you, Jim. We were Miami Shores kids together and pretty good pals, too! June wrote that reservation forms will be mailed in latter July or in August. Also, be sure to visit the website maintained by Class of 1964's STEVEN F. SHADE. I believe it is as follows: www.wchsalumni.org (for official notices and other news.) Let's all try to be much quicker about the return of those forms this year. It makes things very tough for our planners, when we wait until the very last minute. If not for June's reminder, I would've forgotten to send in my OWN reservation and I was guilty of the last-minute thing, myself. June, I promise to try and do much better this year! In closing this topic, I wish to stress to all of you that my info and this bulletin are NOT official WC items. I'm merely, "socializing" with all of you, at my leisure. This bulletin is nothing more than a very coincidental and happy accident, which occurred nearly 7 years ago.

As earlier mentioned, the spotlight class is 1957 this year. Working diligently on efforts for a record turnout are THOMAS D. ELLIOTT and spouse THERESA M. MOSES. So let's all pitch in and give them all the aid we possibly can, when it comes to finding their class alumni. Tom and Theresa are specifically searching for JANICE A. BUSH, MARILYN J. MILLAT, PHILLIP A. BRIERLEY, and then BERTHA J. HOERNER was also on the short list. However, Bertha sadly died, as we all now know. I'm pretty sure I located Janice in Florida, and I think I probably found Phil out in Rock Springs, Wyoming. But I don't yet have a firm lead for them on Marilyn. So let's do all we can.

Also assisting in the 1957 class effort is ERCELL P. PHILLIPS (and I'll bet Betty is helping, too). He sent me a request for a 1957 Piratan, in order to do a bit of research. Unfortunately, that 1957 is a rare bird, and I didn't have it. I was, however, able to send him a 1956 and another year which slips my mind. So I hope those will help.

Speaking of Piratans, I have to touch on this topic. My supply has dwindled considerably. I've gone back to all my sources, several times, and they've pretty much dried up. I intend to contine to try, of course. But I do want all of you to remain on the watch, especially the WC people who still live in that general area, for any books you may find from any source---garage sales, old book stores, deceased alumni, unwanted or old books, ANY source---and I will buy them all. Just let me know.

Now this next thing is also about Piratans, so please read this carefully. If you are one of the people to whom I sold one of my 1958 Piratans, will you please be kind enough to carefully inspect the book? I have somehow inadvertently sent my own, personal copy to someone. I still have the one I meant to send to that person. My book has inscriptions in it, which are to me, of course, so it will be easy to tell if you have it. I'll send you the other one, right away, but PLEASE do return my copy! I nearly flipped out, when I discovered I'd done that stupid trick. I ask for help from each of you to whom I've sold a 1958 Piratan to help recitfy this stupid move I made. Thank you, one and all.

A notice has come in from 1987's SHARLENE N. MERKER. She has asked me to spread the word about the July 21 class reunion which will take place at the WC VFW Club. So let's spread the word on that event. If you have info or contacts for Sharlene, please e-mail her at ( mrkr03@aol.com ). I'm sure she will get right back to you.

Apparently, a lot of that college basketball occurred of late. Our NANCY J. ERTEL, 1961, is quite an ardent fan. She repeatedly tried to turn me into one, too, but I'm afraid it was without success. So I'm just going to let Nancy do those college picks for me, too, and hope her teams win.

Does anyone remember the twins, Class of 1969's RONALD and DONALD DOLL? I'm sure you do and they are the younger siblings of 1961's RICHARD L. DOLL. Anyway, Richard reports that Don is in the process of moving to Florida. As one who has just moved FROM Florida, I can tell you all that Don is in for some HUGE expenses---property taxes, utilites, and homeowners insurance, to name just a few. But he probably is already aware of that. At least, I hope he is. But I know we all wish him luck there.

With this bulletin, we introduce yet another 1959 class member, in the person of MICHAEL L. SWANK. I do remember Mike well. I'm sure many of you do, too. I got an e-mail from Mike today (April 20), in which he asked to be added to the list. He lives in Arizona and gets snippets of our news from 1960's LONNIE M. THACKER and LINDA J. SNELL. I didn't even know he was there. Lonnie and Linda, why didn't you let me know about Mike? We could've added him, long ago! Anyway, we're happy you've joined us, Mike. Your 1959 class is always so sparsely represented and we would love to see more of you at our functions. I'm now awaiting a, "life story," from Mike and when it gets here, I'll share it with all of you. But in the interim, I'll simply say, "Welcome aboard, Mike! We're all glad to have you back in the fold."

Do we have travelers this time? Boy, do we ever!! I got news from 1960's DAVID G. OTT in which he wrote that he and spouse,1963's SANDRA A . MINIX, are traveling in Africa. Wow! Now THAT is a trip! I can just see you, ROBERTA A. RICE, reading every word on the edge of your seat. (For those of you who don't know, Roberta, 1960, is our official traveler of the world. She's been EVERYwhere!) Anyway, at last report, Dave and Sandy were in North Africa. He asked about you, though, Bill Walker, even from way over there, and wished you well in your recovery. Up to that point, they'd been on a Kenyan safari and had ridden camels around the Pyramids in Egypt, among other things. How great, Dave and Sandy, and what wondrous memories. Keep those reports coming. He wrote that they will see us later, "if we have any money left." Ha!

Then there's those FULLER people--1960's GERALD A. and his WC-honorary spouse, Becky. Who in the world can keep pace with THEM? In one e-mail, they are in Savannah, Georgia. In another e-mail, they're in Sebring, Florida. In yet another, they're on Tybee Island in Georgia. Hey, I think that's great and I'm just jealous, so pay me no mind. You two stay safe out there and watch your backs. Stay healthy and have a great time!

Cousin JUDITH L. SAMUELS, 1961, and her spouse take jaunts constantly. On one of these jaunts which will occur next month, she and Bill will be coming up to see a few sights in Gatlinburg. But before they do, they are coming here to Kingsport to spend a couple of nights with us, so we're really looking forward to that. They recently visited Ybor City, too. Even more recently, they visited the, "Rolling Hawvermales." If you don't know that is, it's 1961's P. LYNNETTE GARRETT and her husband, Frank (my not-so-secret boyfriend), at their home in Henderson, Nevada. The Hawvermales have houses everywhere! They're my claim to fame and may possibly be my only wealthy, close friends. Ha! Lynn and I just talked at length this morning. It is my hope that they will be visiting me soon, here in Tennessee, as they make their way back to yet another of their homes (Germantown).

Then there's my other rich friend, 1955's FREDA P. FLETCHER, who is also a fellow Miami Shores Kid. Freda just recently left her Florida home, bound for Ohio to help celebrate the 90th birthday of her mother, who is in a care facility in Miamisburg (I believe it's Miamisburg, anyway).

Day before yesterday, I talked for a while to Marilyn Kelly, spouse of 1960's EDGAR L. "EDDIE" KELLY (who was the life of the party at the 2006 dinner/ dance). We talked for about 15 minutes. Marilyn told me Ed was lying down, but she also told me that the two of them plan to be with us in October. We're all sure looking forward, Marilyn, to meeting the woman who has spent so many years with Ed, I can tell you that! Ed, don't forget your kilt outfit!

One of our most dependable sources of WC info, 1960's THOMAS L. WOLF, JR., and his charming spouse, Susan, also hit road lately. They attended a school board convention in San Francisco (and a function which was also attended by former president, Bill Clinton). From there, they went to Portland, Or., to visit Susan's sister, and then it was on to Colorado Springs to visit one of their 3 sons, who has long lived in that area. (The other two are in South Carolina and in Cincinnati, as I recall.) So listen, Tom, we don't want you to wind up in the pokey, out stealing bricks from Woody's for me, now do we? Wouldn't it be a hell of a note to come from a school board convention and seeing a former president, to being in the local jail of the city from whose school you retired? Ha! You keep an eye on him, Susan!

A recent e-mail from two 1961-ers, SANDRA L. BROCK and spouse PAUL R. BEARDSLEY, says they will be traveling, too, and when they do, they'll stop to see me Kingsport. Well, come on down, you two. I've got plenty of room and you're welcome.

Recently returning from their trip to Florida were the newlyweds, 1960's CHARLES A. "BUD" LOWMAN III and 1961's SALLY L. GILLETTE. Sally reports that she and Bud are very excited at the prospect of their own, brand-new place. She wrote they'd had a great time in Florida, though.

WC Civics teacher, MURL E. HUFFMAN, who must never sit still, tells me he's coming to Tennessee and will be here for a visit. Well, your room awaits. Like all of us, I'd be more than happy to see you, either here or at any WC function. Besides, what's a WC function without you, anyway? Mr. H. reported that DONNA COURTNEY has just had a hip replacement and is doing fine. He said she's 1952, but I'm thinking it was a more recent class for Donna Courtney. However, I woudn't be at all surprised to find that he is right and I'm the one who's wrong.

Finally, on the topic of travels, I'm going to be doing a bit of traveling, myself. But I'm not going far. I'll be on a little jaunt next week, up to Bristol, Virginia, which isn't far at all. Thanks to the sleuthing of 1958's WM. L HOWARD, I found my cousin on my mother's side of the family, with whom I used to spend my summers as a child. We haven't visited since about 1957 or 1958, as nearly as I can remember. Tonight, we talked for about 25-30 minutes, and had lots of, "catching-up" to do. So this going to be very fun for me. A big thank- you to you, Bill!

Apparently, 1958's RONALD D. "TOM" FEE isn't doing much traveling at all. He wrote that he loves having a sedentary lifestyle. I'm not so sure I believe ALL of that, though, Tom. Did you finally really retire? I thought you wre still working.

The record stands for 1955's NORMAN E. JACKSON (sender of all things wonderful for nostalgia items.) He sent another great one, this time. Did you all read and hear that? Sending along a few more interesting musings was 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST, who made some comparisons on costs of living in Ohio versus Tennessee. Very interesting, Mike! I was already aware of some of those figures, but they are some sobering statistics, aren't they? When we made the monumental decision to move out of Florida, after being in the same house for nearly 30 years, we had Ohio on the short list of places we might consider. But my research indicated that winters are still very bitter, it's a state-income tax state (which sets the stage for many other imposed taxes), AND the property taxes are out of this world. So it was quickly eliiminated, although it will always have a piece of my heart. It does, after all, contain WC!

So that's it for this edition, folks! I'm sure you're all breathing a huge sigh of relief, as you uncross your eyes. However, please remember this. When the bulletins are longer, it means more WC folks have sent in more news. That can NEVER be bad, right?
It is my hope that I'm completely current now and back to our regular intervals. DON'T FORGET ABOUT OUR DINNER/DANCE!! Make that date (October 13) your top priority. Be there!!! I leave you all with my usual wish for glowing health, great happiness, peaceful serenity, spiritual harmony, and boundless prosperity. Ciao!

---And there you have it! More at 11--- B





Powered by Blogger