.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
 
** WECATON NEWS REPORT ** 09 JUNE 2008

First, an addendum to this report by Bonnie

---We just can't seem to get through a very long time without a loss. Please scroll down to read the obit of CLYDE E. HURST. I'm sorry to report I don't know the class year for Clyde, but perhaps a couple of our in-house experts (STEVEN F. SHADE, THOMAS L. WOLF, JR.) might be able to uncover that for us. I'm thinking the Hurst family were Miami Shores Kids. I'll be you, FREDA P. FLETCHER, might know. In any case, we extend condolences to his family and to his friends. I thank 1963's LEE JEAN JORDAN for her effort in submitting this.

From: Lee Jean Heller
Date: 06/10/08 09:13:07
To: Bonnie

Subject: Hurst, Clyde E.
HURST, Clyde E. passed away Thursday, June 5, 2008 at 9:48PM. He is survived by two sisters, Marranna Davidison, and Clara Pittl; brother, Norman E. Hurst; three daughters, Kimberly Viars, Regina Caupp, and Crystal Adams; son, Christopher Hurst; grandchildren, Nicholas, Bradley, Zachary, and Jacob Viars, Monica and Brandon Caupp, Kendal Adams, Rylan, Gracie, Elaina, Kayleigh Hurst; and numerous other family and friends. He retired from Delphi after 32 years of service. Funeral services will be 11AM Tuesday, June 10, 2008 at Newcomer Funeral Home, 3940 Kettering Blvd. The family will receive friends from 9AM until time of service. Interment will follow at Evergreen Cemetery.
Lee Jean Heller
Coordinator
Continuing Medical Education (CME)

From: Bonnie Risner Miller
To: Heller, Lee JeanSubject: Lee, are you telling me that---

---Clyde Hurst has died? If so, was it in the Dayton Daily News? (I don't know where you live, so wasn't sure on that.) Thanks.

-------Original Message-------

From: Lee Jean Heller
Date: 06/10/08 07:35:52
To: Bonnie
Subject: RE: WECATON NEWS REPORT!!!---

Clyde Hurst.. not sure but thought he was around class of 63.
Saturday’s paper.

Lee Jean Heller
Coordinator
Continuing Medical Education (CME)
CME Website:

And now, the WECATON continues----
Bonnie writes:
Yep, I'm on a roll! I don't want to lose momentum, as I'm trying to stay current on this, so let's kick it off with our forwarders. They include 1954's WILLIAM L. MCNABB;1955's FREDA P. FLETCHER, NORMAN E. JACKSON; 1957's ERCELL P. PHILLIPS; 1958's WILLIAM R. HOWARD, BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, RONALD R. "TOM" FEE; 1959's GARY E.BARNES;1960's STEVEN M. KOKOT, CHARLES. A. "BUD" LOWMAN III, C. SUE MCCLOUD, BEVERLY JOAN HAAS, the widow of RONALD P. CRAIG, Martha E. Craig; 1961's SANDRA S. HOLLINGSWORTH, SALLY L. GILLETTE, P. LYNNETTE GARRETT; 1962's BARBARA T. O'NEAL; 1963's SHIRLEY A. RANKIN; 1969's KAREN L. THROCKMORTON; 1981's D. BRIAN BRODBECK; and 1986's AMY L. HAWKINS.

Let's dispense right away with the unpleasantness of our losses and illnesses for this bulletin period. We have 1971's BARRY E. PHILPOT, who was but 55 years old. He died on June 1. Thanks to classmate, PAMELA K. SHIPLEY, who sent this to us. I didn't know Barry, but another of his classmates, RODNEY R. GABBARD, had been good friends with him.

My apologies for my blunder in the last bulletin. I had written Larry S. Anderson (deceased) as Reynolds, for some unexplainable reason. I have no idea why. Thank God I don't have to answer to anyone but all of you, for my mistakes. Thanks to 1968's PAULA J. STAUB for keeping me honest on this one. As you grow accustomed to reading these bulletins, Paula, you're going to find I'm just as dependent upon all of you to correct my errors, as all of you are on me, to get the news. This is a joint effort!

Rod Gabbard, by the way, continues his struggles with the daily challenges of being wheelchair-bound and we do so hope to see him get some sort of help, as needed. I already advised Rod of the willingness to assist him with all problems by 1960's GERALD A. FULLER. I do hope you will contact Jerry soon, Rod. His e-mail is ( Fuller493 at AOL dot com) We hope to hear a report soon that the two of you have gotten the ball rolling. Jerry knows his way around the ins and outs of doing these things, but you have got to contact him.

As reported by 1961's SANDRA S. MAYO, a 1963 class member, JOSEPH S. "SKIP" KETRING, SR., was hospitalized as of June 5, suffering from what she termed as an aortic rupture, which I think is the same as an aneurysm. She wrote that he's classed as being in serious condition. Thanks, Sande. She is back in Ohio now, where she will spend the next few months, by the way, in the company of all her most favored people

Also recently passing on was RICHARD EUGENE KELLY, 1965, who is the younger brother of1960's EDGARD L. "EDDIE" KELLY. Ed's wife, Marilyn, let me know about this and I sent a special bulletin, but I always like to recap these things, in case someone has missed it. STEVEN F. SHADE, 1965, offered some assistance to me in researching this one (so thank you, Steve). We're both mystified as to why it shows Richard C., rather than a correct middle initial, so I hope we can get that corrected. Our sympathy, of course, goes to Eddie, as well as Richard's family and friends. Richard was originally in the 1964 class, Steve wrote.

As we are also aware, 1960's PHILLIP D. HOWARD is currently waging a war to get through a transplant process he underwent June 5 at Cleveland Clinic. It seems Phil was in need of both a kidney and liver for a long time. He now has them. His wife is MARIAN KAY HUSSEY, 1967, and she has been keeping us all posted on Phil's progress.

Let's remember to get those cards and e-mails and prayers going, full force (6951 Alter Drive, Dayton, Ohio 45424). Also keeping us informed on Phil is 1958's DAVID L. HOWARD. Dave, I thought you are Phil's brother, so tell me, are you? Or is it a cousin? I really don't know and a couple of people have asked. But either way, thanks for the info. We all want to know. Kay wrote me on June 7 to let me know that Phil is on the road to recovery and made it through the transplant. Please give him our best, Kay, and tell him we all want to see both of you at everything on alumni weekend!

Apparently, 1959's JAMES L. LINDSEY is having a few health problems. Jim is currently working in the city of Chattanooga, Tennessee, if I'm understanding this correctly. He comes and goes between there and his Brandon, Florida, home. He wrote he needs surgery on both arms and on his left shoulder, and says he won't be driving big rigs anymore. He also said his head injury has now healed and his memory has returned, but that it took about 6 months. We all hope you will be restored to full, robust health, Jim!

There was also a brief update from 1959's BETSY R. MURPHY, regarding her niece, 1961's OTHEL MURPHY. Betsy reported that Othel has been taken to the Cleveland Clinic and evaluated. They were told nothing could be done for her. I assume Othel is still at the nursing home in Lima. Thanks, Betsy, and best to your spouse, T. BARRY RUSSELLO, who is my 1960 classmate.

Also checking in this time were 1960 spouse team, LONNIE M. THACKER (class president) and LINDA J. SNELL. Lonnie called me one morning, Linda got on the extension, and the 3 of us once again solved all the world's problems (much the same as do my cousin, JUDITH L. SAMUELS, and I, with our daily e-mails.) Lonnie and Linda are caring for Lonnie's mother (he's an only child) at their Arizona home and they say she's doing fairly well. We do hope to see you both again in October!

The mystery has been solved on that e-mail address from the last bulletin. That e-mail address belongs to 1959's JAMES A. MOSSBARGER, and I actually got a couple of e-mails directly from Jim, after that. We sure hope to be seeing you during October, Jim. I got just one successful transmission from you, by the way, on the messages you were trying to send me. My first tip on who person is, came from LAWRENCE J. RENAS, JR., 1957. Speaking of Larry, he reported he and brother, 1960's DOUGLAS A. RENAS, made contact with their old friend, 1961's DAVID S. VAN SCOYK, after I located him for them. So I was very happy to hear that. They'll be visiting him when they come to Ohio in October. Great news!

In other cheery news, it seems 1958's BRUCE E. CHENOWETH has added yet another classic piece of machinery to his ever-growing collection of antique cars. This one is a 1903 Oldsmobile Curved Dash Roundabout, he writes. I'm sure it will soon be on our blog, which is now being religiously maintained and updated by 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST. So take a gander! (http://www.wchs.blogspot.com/ ) You'll enjoy it!

There was another blip or two from 1961's gorgeous homecoming queen, CHRIS L. CLEARY, who wrote she and pal, JANET L. WALTERS, continue their social outings. Good for you both! We all need to do more of that, don't we? We'll see you in October! Do make sure you have whole 1961 gang, too!

What a great e-mail from 1965's L. DEAN BANKS! He actually graduated from Patterson Co-op, but his heart obviously remains with WC, where he spent most of his school years. Anyway, as it happens, Dean is a cousin of THOMAS E. COMBS, war hero, Miami Shores Kid, and WC student. Dean loved the idea of 1958's RONALD D. "TOM" FEE, re naming a street to honor Tommy. Dean knew a few things about Tommy, too, some of which I'm sure others were also aware. I like writing about Tommy. He was a nice kid, he was a war hero, and he was one of us. So I'm happy he is being remembered, after all these years.

As it happens, wrote Dean, Tommy was a cousin to SUE BANKS, 1961, PAULA GABBARD, 1964, and SHARON CAMPBELL (year not given). It seems he was also related to a few younger cousins, too, who are RICK CAMPBELL, 1980, and STEVE CAMP- BELL, 1990. Tommy was the star player of the 7th grade basketball team at Frank Nicholas and quite a hero to Dean, of course. Dean wrote that Tommy would easily score 40 points in a game. He wrote that he looked up Tommy's name on the wall of war heroes when he visited Washington D. C., and that it was quite an emotional experience. Thanks, Dean, that was a great tribute to one of our very own war heroes.

From 1960's BEVERLY J. HAAS came a lot of tips on raising a successful garden. This is something I might like to try, but it may not be this year. I told her how I was using every food scrap by throwing them into my woods, where they were eaten by the wildlife. Now and then, I get lucky and get to see a few of them as they feed. I failed to mention that the only waste I now have is that of eggshells, coffee grounds and teabags. Well, don't you know she wrote back to say she would love to get her hands on as many egg shells, teabags, and coffee grounds, as she could find, writing they make such great fertilizer? Well, wouldn't you know? I got a laugh out of that.

Once again, 1955's FREDA P. FLETCHER and I had quite a round with reminiscences of 1940s/50s Miami Shores while we went to school at WC. She had her own boat, did you know that? That was quite an accomplishment for a teenage girl, back then. I love your stories, Freda! Keep 'em coming, will you?

A number of you have written blips about the closing of GM's Moraine City facility. It's a sad commentary, that's for sure. If news reports are to be believed, it is said to be caused by the failure of GM to meet the demands of today's vehicle market. Among those who are bewildered by this are many of us, I know. I have much family and many friends who are or were affiliates of GM. Among its big fans is MICHAEL S. WEST, 1960, who currently owns 4 of their vehicles. Until recently, I had two of them, myself. What will happen there, seems to be happening everywhere. I think we're headed for a full-blown depression, very possibly, and God knows, I hope I'm dead wrong!

There was a lot of good chatter about my question re Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church and it's old locale, at the corner of northbound Old Route 25 and Stroop Road. What a nifty church that was! The new one is nice, of course. But it never did have the character of the original one. Anyway, I heard from MADELEINE D. CAMPBELL, 1960, whom I've known for 60 years now, and with whom I went not only clear through my 12 years of school, but also spent scads of time at ZELC with her, under the auspices of Pastor Chas. L. Mullen. (By the way, with the passage of so many years, a few of us have gotten his name a bit wrong. It's Mullen, not Mullin, nor Mullins, nor Mullens. He is, by the way, the only person I've ever known in my life, who bears that surname.)

Anyway, Madeleine and I went through Catechism in the same class and were confirmed together. I think NANCY JAMES, 1960, was also in our class. Were you in that class, too, RICHARD S. HOLT? Time has faded some memories for me, but I still have a photo somewhere, of our confirmation. Weren't you in it, too, CHARLOTTE L. HUEY? Anyway, Madeleine wrote that she found Pastor Mullen very intimidating. Well, join the club, Madeleine! So did I.

Also checking in with ZELC memories was 1964's RICKEY A. BUSCH, who wrote that he went on to attend church regularly at the new location on Alex- Bell Road (f/k/a Alexandersville-Bellbrook Road). I was married for the first time (with many to follow, but not there) at that church location in 1960! Another former member of that church, who has great recall, is 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST. Also in that class and attending that church were the late L. EUGENE ZINK and class treasurer, THOM BIEBER THOMPSON. I further learned that DAVID G. OTT had attended that church, too. There were lots of us, I guess.

As always seems to be the case, I exchanged many nostalgic e-mails with those three 1958 guys who are busily putting together the Miami Shores Memories function for October 11 (RONALD D. "TOM" FEE, WILLIAM R. HOWARD, DONALD I. MCCOY). As is always the case, 1955's FREDA P. FLETCHER had some great recollections, too. Don't we all? Coming from BRUCE E. CHENOWETH (1958) is already a request to attend that function. Bruce wrote although he wasn't an MSK, he had many friends there and a few good memories, himself. I'm sure there are more who share that same feeling, Bruce, and as I've said before, this is an open function. It's just that it may be a bit more significant for those of us who grew to age in that little enclave.

Kind words abound! So many of you have again sent along compliments about the WeCaTon (by the way, it was 1959's GARY E. BARNES who so aptly titled it) News Report. Many thanks to all, who include 1955's NORMAN E. JACKSON; 1957's JUNETTA BUNDY; 1959's GARY E. BARNES; 1960's JUDITH A. SLIFE, EDGAR L "EDDIE" KELLY; 1961's JUDITH L. SAMUELS, JACK L. GODBY, JOHN W. OBERLIES, JR., P. LYNNETTE GARRETT; 1962's J. MICHAEL HARRIS; 1963's SHIRLEY A. RANKIN, LEE JEAN JORDAN; 1968's PAULA J. STAUB; 1969's KAREN L. THROCKMORTON.

It was especially rewarding to hear directly from my old childhood pal, JOHN W. OBERLIES, JR., 1961. Weren't you the president of your class, John? He wrote fondly of the old gang on South Moraine Blvd., which was right behind the old Indian River Fruit Mar-ket. Of course, that was right across the street from my high school home on the riverbank. If we all were not at my house, we were right across the street at South Moraine Platte, as it was known.

John correctly pointed out that both 1960's SHIRLEY J. TUDOR and I, were honorary members of South Moraine Platte, since we were there so much. The actual residents of the bunch, were many. Besides you and your sister, John, I remember a number of others. There was CHARLES V. CARTER, and his sister, the late MARTHA J., next door to John was GARY L. WARLAUMONT (Charles and Martha were on the other side), the late E. EARL JENKINS (who was dashingly handsome), BOYD H. JENKINS (who also was), JAS. L. ROSE, the late G. SAMUEL SPEELMAN (yet one more class president), and his many SPEELMAN sisters. They are the ones I recall from right off the top of my head. But I'll bet you can remember more, can't you, John? How about you, Boyd? Anyway, those were grand memories, John. I thought about it a lot, after reading your e-mail. John also reported he's feeling great, so that was simply wonderful. Will we see you October, John? We sure do hope so.

Yes, we added readers again. Some of you might have already noticed a mention of JUNETTA BUNDY and this contact came to me from 1955's FREDA P. FLETCHER. At first, I didn't realize who it was, but as soon as I knew the maiden name, I vividly recalled her. You see, Junetta Bundy was one of my, "beauty idols," when I was a little kid. So was SHARON A. COLLINSWORTH. I saw both of them often in those days. Junetta rode my bus and I was always at the Tudor home with best pal, Shirley.Her sister, DONNA G. TUDOR, 1955, was best friends with Sharon. So I would look at Junetta and Sharon and try to figure out what I'd have to do, in order to look like either of them looked. I had one droopy eyelid, my hair was way too curly, and my teeth weren't very perfect. I'd get on the bus and see Junetta with her perfect complexion and gorgeous eyes, and dark, perfect hair and I was so envious of her. When I'd go to Shirley's, I'd see both her sisters, Donna, and the late DORIS D. TUDOR, 1955, (the homecoming queen) and there would be Sharon, with her beautiful blonde hair and her perfect face. I envied her, too. We all have those stories, I'm sure. But I was destined to be a tomboy, and I guess I stayed one, pretty much all my life. Anyway, we are just thrilled to have you on board, Junetta!

Also added to our reading list is 1962's THOMAS J. GAULDIN. Tom lives in Washington Courthouse, at this time, and it looks as though he is another retired teacher and/or principal for our list. Is that correct, Tom? But I don't know if he was with the WC school system or not. In any case, welcome aboard, Tom, and we do hope to see you this coming October. Tom came to us through the efforts of classmate, J, MICHAEL HARRIS. So thanks, Mike.

It simply delights me to report these two new readers for the bulletin list. I've gotten an e-mail from 1961's NANCY L. HOHNHORST and her 1959 spouse, H. JAY CARROLL, JR. I remember Nancy as a Miami Shores Kid and I think Junior was, too. Anyway, they now live in California and I'm thrilled to add you two to our list, Junior and Nancy. We all hope you're both in glowing health and that we'll see you in October. I know you're going to have a circus, if you come to join us, as I hope you will. Welcome aboard!

We've got new e-mail addresses! Almost instantly, Tom Gauldin changed his and the one I now have is ( tomgauldin ay yahoo dot com) We have a couple other changes, too. From 1960's MONTY ESTEP and his 1963 spouse, BEVERLY J. WALKER, came a new address. ( mbestep at aim dot com ) The final e-mail update comes from 1960's CHARLOTTE L. HUEY ( bcquig4 at woh dot rr dot com ) So that's all the new ones I have. We're still trying to track down an address for 1960's WILLIAM E. HECKER and 1956's SUSAN M. MASON, both of whom became, "lost," after they apparently changed addresses, but failed to update all of us.

So what about our travelers, this time? Well, we've got 'em, that's for sure. Don't we, always? I'm going to have a visitor, myself, in fact. My cousin, JUDITH L. SAMUELS, and her husband will be arriving about the 15th of June to spend a couple of days with us and then they will go on down to Gatlinburg for a stop for another couple of days, before returning to their Florida home. I'm looking forward to their visit.

During the month of July, one of our world travelers, 1960's JUDITH A. SLIFE, will be taking that trip to Greece! Isn't that just TOO exciting? Judy, we can't wait for your report when you return. Judy writes that she's studying the language and anxiously awaiting her departure. Travel safely, Judy!

Also engaging in some interesting traveling is 1960's DAVID G. OTT and his 1963 spouse, SANDRA R. MINIX. On May 24, they returned from a Georgia trip to attend the graduation of Sandy's nephew, during which Dave took off for a 5-day back-packing trip through the Appalachian Trail. Dave wrote he tries to do a bit of that, every year. But that wasn't the end of their adventures, by far. Get this! Right after all that, they boarded a plane for Paris, France, where they are visiting their son and his wife, who are living in that country, at the moment. Dave wrote that he and Sandy were very anxious to see their granddaughter, who's just 4 years old. Well, if you two are back now, do write again, and tell us all about the wonderful sights of Paris!

Hang on, folks! There is, indeed, hope that we'll get 1961's NANCY J. ERTEL out of Kansas, someday. I received a recent e-mail in which she told me of her trip with spouse, Donald Sween, during which they traveled in early May, back to the area of the Black Hills of South Dakota, where they originally met. (Ah, the memories of my 20 trips to the Sturgis Rally & Races, which are invoked by Nancy's mention of the Black Hills! I know every inch of several counties and a few states, out that way.) They visited Wall Drug, the Badlands, Deadwood, and several of the Lakota Tribe Reservations. I know every inch of those great places. What a great trip, Nancy! I hope you thought to write my name on a restroom wall somewhere out there. Ha! Originally, the Sweens were going to head over to Tennessee and tour the Great Smokies, but the nostalgic allure of where they first met, and the magic of the Olde West (not to mention the soaring cost of fuel!), proved to be the winning factor.

Among those who have curtailed their extensive and wide-ranging travels are 1960's WM. O. WALKER and his WC-honorary spouse, Karen M. Walker. It seems they are continuing efforts at land-clearing and building of their brand-new, "barnominium," in Alvin, Texas. They've decided against staircases, after all, writes Karen. (Well, leave it to ME! I was nearly 65 when I moved into my first house with a stairwell, since I was teenager!)

The Walkers did take a bit of time out to attend a Shriners convention in San Antonio, recently. I know we all know the jokes about the Shriner conventions. If they prove to be true, at this one, I'm sure Karen will fill us in on all the gory details. As I come from a long, illustrious line of Masons and Shriners, myself, I'm reluctant to make any sort of personal observation. Tee Hee!

Bill's mother is now about 83 years old and lives in Zephyr Hills, Florida. She will soon be moving back to the Dayton area, though. Karen writes they must now remove her from driving and put her somewhere for assisted living. She says her mother-in-law isn't going to be happy about that.

Okay, ROBERTA A. RICE (1960), all this talk of the travels of our alumni puts me in mind of you. You're the original, WC world traveler (of whom I first was aware, that is) and I haven't heard from you in a bit now. I just know you're not staying at home. So tell us where you have been and what you have done?

What a treat it was when I picked up today's mail and found my unique package from 1963's SHIRLEY A. RANKIN, which contained my bird-feeder and bird- house, handmade by her spouse, Terry Helman. I'm so pleased with them, Shirley! I can't wait to hang them and watch the birds use them. I've got more than a hundred trees on my property and about four million birds, I'll bet. So I can use every birdfeeder I can find, that's for sure. Thanks so much!

Listen, everyone, I received an e-mail from 1958's RONALD D. "TOM" FEE, in which he pointed out he doesn't wish to exclude memorializing any additional deserving war heroes, in his quest to name a street to honor THOMAS EUGENE COMBS. It's just that Tommy's the only MSK of whom he's aware. So if any of you are aware of any others, Tom would like to know. In the meantime, I believe he's going to move forward with his plan to try and get a street (or at the very least, a portion of a street) named in honor of Tommy Combs, Vietnam war hero.

Okay, NORMAN E. JACKSON (1955), this is for you. Did you leave on that motorcycle road trip with your son yet? If so, how is it going? Can you get e-mail on the road? Are you back yet? You need to give us a report. Did you make it to North Dakota? Norm also wrote of his neighbor, who is 1982's KAREN L. SHACKELFORD,that she's having some trouble with receiving the WNR. Is that right, Karen? If you are reading this, do let me know. If not, perhaps your sister, ROBYN L. GENGLER, 1971 (who's married to 1958's REX E. HEETER) can intercede and let us know if you're getting them okay now.

Continuing to update our wonderful blog is 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST. As I've told all of you in prior reports, I often refer to the blog to see what I've said about something-or-other. There are lots of great things posted there, so if you haven't visited recently, you're in for a treat. Give it a whirl, and many thanks to Mike for his efforts. ( http://www.wchs.blogspot.com/ ) You'll love it!

Another country heard from when 1959's GARY E. BARNES checked in with another of his ever-newsy reports, this time about one of our favorite people, 1958's VINCENT E. BRODBECK. Gary and Vince have been seeing each other regularly, meeting for breakfast here and there, and visiting whenever an opportunity arises. Gary reports that Vince seems to be doing fairly well, following the April 7 passing of his wife, 1960's DOROTHY J. "DOTTIE" WILLMAN. We all wish you only the best, Vince, and hope things will get better and better for you, with every passing day. We all also look forward to seeing you on our big weekend.

Speaking of that, I got a rather poignant e-mail from 1961's LILY K. "KITTY" BURDETTE, in which she made mention of all the sadness we've had to report of late, among our alumni. She was referring to both illnesses and passings, of course. Your point is well- made, Kitty, and it's just something more to support what I always write about not putting off participation in our alumni events. You can just imagine how I feel when I drive from Tennessee to attend them. Before that, I drove from Florida to attend them. Then I get there and find that someone who lives right there in Montgomery County or a nearby county (or ANY of the Ohio counties, for that matter), did not attend! It is invariably someone about whom others have asked, too. Isn't that always the way it is? BE THERE! Do NOT put it off. Kitty has made a great point.

It's long past time for me to call my old friend, THOS. D. YOUNG, 1960's class vice-president, and wife, Sandi, who is my longtime, treasured friend. We've lacked in steadier communication of late and I'm very determined to change that. That also goes for my old friend of 1960, BEVERLY A. BOWMAN. I did call her the other night, but she didn't answer, so I left a message. I'm thinking of you, Beverly! Somehow, though, EULA FAYE BAILEY and I always manage to connect pretty regularly. I also had a recent long and windy conversation with fellow MSK and WC alumnus, P. LYNNETTE GARRETT. Lynn remains ensconced in her Henderson, Nevada, home for now and Frank has returned to their Germantown place (which I love, by the way).

Here's an update from my ace reporter, THOMAS. L. WOLF, JR., 1960. Tom reported that WC held its 98th grad ceremony on May 29, at the Schuster Center (where our childhood Rike-Kumler store was located for so many years. (Pardon me, while I shed a few tears and say a few words about Rike's holiday display.) Anyway, you'll all recall that our renowned former teacher, MURL E. HUFFMAN, wasn't going to be there this year, as he had to be out of town. This would have been his first absence from a ceremony in 60 years. Well, fear not, folks! It wasn't to be. He was there with bells on and it was his 61st one in a row. Utterly amazing!

As I understand it, the Class of 2008 included grand- children of at least 3 1960 class members, who are FLOSSIE J. GRAY, ROSS A. HODGSON, and SHIRLEY J. TUDOR. Marvelous! Tom reports that MEH was just as vital and effervescent as ever. I'm not surprised at all. Thanks for the report, Tom, and best to you, Susan!

It's time to close another edition of the WNR! As I always do, I leave each of you with my personal wish for glowing health, great happiness, peaceful serenity, spiritual harmony, and boundless prosperity. Ciao!




Powered by Blogger