.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Sunday, June 01, 2008
 
* WECATON NEWS REPORT * 28 MAY 2008

Boy, oh boy! The news is flying, hot and heavy. We all seem to be enthusiastic about this year's alumni weekend and its ever-increasing schedule of events. Perhaps, eventually, we'll have to back up to include Thursday, too, who knows? Friday, Saturday, and Sunday certainly seem to be just about filled to capacity, now. How great is THAT?

Okay, we'll begin with forwarders. They include 1955 's FREDA P. FLETCHER; 1957's ERCELL P. "PHIL " PHILLIPS; 1958's RONALD D. "TOM" FEE; 1959's GARY E. BARNES;1960's STEVEN M. KOKOT, EDGAR L. "EDDIE" KELLY, DANNY L. WALTERS, the widow of RONALD P. CRAIG, Martha E. Craig, DAVID A BLAIR, LARRY M. PENDLEY, JUDITH A. SLIFE; 1961's PATRICIA. LYNNETTE GARRETT, BARBARA J. TURNINGTON, CONNIE K. STREETE, JACK L. GODBY; 1962's BARBARA T. O'NEAL, RICHARD C. CALL; 1963's SHIRLEY A. RANKIN; and someone with an e-mail address of BUDDY52 at WINDSTREAM-DOT-NET (changed by editor to deter spambots) Do any of you have a clue as to who that may be? I sure don't!

Our readership continues to grow, with every bulletin period. As I'm sure many of you longtime readers noticed, we've added a 1961 class member. She is CONNIE K. STREETE. We're thrilled to have you on board, Connie, and your class is certainly one of the most heavily-represented of all, when it comes to the WC functions and just staying in contact, overall. I am bursting with pride to be able to tell you that a few of the 1961 class members have endowed me with an honorary membership in your class. They're truly a grand bunch!

Connie lives in Eaton, Ohio, and she and husband, Doyle Lincoln, are in the process of selling their own business and readying for retirement. She writes to say her life would bore us all to tears and I don't think I believe that, for one moment. Connie's link to the WeCaTon came to us through her classmate pal, NANCY J. ERTEL. So welcome aboard, Connie, and many thanks for your words of praise!

Does anyone out there remember 1968's PAULA J. STAUB? I'll bet you do! Anyway, Paula has joined our readership, too, and we're thrilled to have her. I have a real hole in my class years from 1965 up to about 1970, so I was particularly gratified to have this sign-on. Paula is putting together a 40-year reunion for the 1968 class and is looking for any and all able assistance and info she can find. So if you're able to help at all, please contact Paula through her e-mail address of ( paulajhooper at hotmail-dot-com) She also expressed regret at the recent loss of her classmate, LARRY S. REYNOLDS, who died on May 19. I had sent a special notice on that, as I normally do. Larry, it seems, had also been a pal of 1971's RODNEY R. GABBARD. Rod wrote to say he used to run around with Larry. He was deeply saddened to hear of his death.

Also joining us during this bulletin period is yet one more 1968 class member (I'm thrilled), NANCY S. KNEER. Perhaps we'll begin getting more people from our late 1960s years. At least, at this time, it appears we will. Welcome to the list, Nancy, and I do hope you'll enjoy reading about WC folks. Do send us a little synopsis of your life for the past 40 years, will you? Kids? Ages? Grandkids? Careers? Do you still live in Ohio? Are you looking for an old pal, whom we can help you locate?

This is another one for whom I haven't a clue. This person wrote to inform me of an e-mail change and I don't know who it is. If it's someone who wants to be on the bulletin list, I'll be happy to add them, but I just don't know who it is. Thanks for any help. By the way, Kendra's last name is apparently Landry, if that's of any help.

Does anyone have a current, working e-mail for the spouse of 1960's SHARON L. BORGER? I've been using it for sending things to Sharon, but now getting rejections on it. So if anyone can provide that info, it would be very helpful. Otherwise, I'll have to return her to the postal mailing list.

From 1963's GAYLE E. LESHER came a wonderful and nostalgic e-mail about our old Scout House. She wrote of how her mother and sister once taught the younger students, using that building. She wrote that during the winters, some of the seniors would come over in the afternoons to help with all the boots, hats, gloves, and coats, in order to get ready for the bus. I think we all must feel similarly about WC schools and our need for them to own the Scout House. I got a lot of feedback on that, all of them expressing the same sentiments.

Gayle also wrote of the Spring fires in Pigeon Forge and the fact that some of them came as close as 20 feet, to one of her rental properties there. But local firefighters prevailed and saved it from damage, so all is well. We're happy for that, Gayle, and thanks to you for all your kind words about the WeCaTon. By the way, Gayle, my husband's birthday is Christmas Day, too!

More chatter was exchanged with 1961's CHRIS L. CLEARY. Chris is having quite a lively social life and is spending a lot of time with her daughters, with her mother, and with old friend, JANET L. WALTERS, also of 1961. I hope we will see both of you, come October, and I'm sure we will. Can any WC gathering be complete without them? Once again, I say, if you haven't seen either of these alumni for awhile, you'll recognize both of them immediately. They've both retained their youthful glow and look great!

That seems to be the order of the day, in fact, for the 1961 class. Also reporting in was the lively, vivacious JUDY M. FRANTZ, who's always the life of the party and bursting with energy. How DO you do it, Judy? I hope you're going to be there, this year. It's never the same, when you aren't.

There is recent, exciting news from 1958's DONALD I. MCCOY, who traveled to the beautiful, oceanfront city of Charleston, South Carolina, where he bought a condo. Don says he hopes to go there often and spend time on the beach with his children and grand-children. We hope you do, too, Don, and that you will really enjoy your vacation home.

Don has emerged as a viable force in the planning of WC events. Not only is he on the 1958 committee to plan the 50th for his class, but he's also joined forces with two other 1958-ers, WILLIAM R. HOWARD and RONALD D. "TOM" FEE, to help plan the first-ever Miami Shores Kids gathering, which will be open to anyone who wishes to attend, of course. With these three at the helm, it's sure to be a great success. I'm waiting with bated breath for the final instructions on this gathering, so that I can tell all of you. There is a bit more, further down, on this function, too.

Losses for this bulletin period included the mother of 1960's DEVONA S. TAYLOR. Dee and I have the same birthday, as you all know. She lost her mother in April, she wrote, but she didn't let us know about it until now. Dee also wrote about what a great help was classmate and lifelong friend, SHIRLEY JAY TUDOR. She helped with Dee's spouse, EUGENE COUCH, whose health seems to come and go. So we all offer sincerest condolences to you, Dee, for the loss of your mother. Dee wrote that she plans to be with us again, come October.

She also wrote some wonderfully nostalgic lines on her now-nearly-48-years-long marriage to Gene, as she recalled 1959's JOE E. STOMPS, as serving as Gene's best man, and about the first time she ever met him, when 1960's GERALD A. FULLER brought him to Shirley's house at 4 a.m.! Okay, I'm going to ask! What on EARTH were you doing at Shirley's house at 4 a.m., Jerry? Thanks for the memories, Dee. Those were such fun times.

We have yet another death to report and this one is in the well-known WC family of the SPEELMANs. It has been reported to me by 1962's SUE LAYNE SPEELMAN that her 38-year-old nieces has died. It was earlier in the months of May, apparently. This was the child of her sister, 1964's SALLY ANN SPEELMAN. We're all terribly sorry to hear that, I know, Sue and Sally. Sue, please ask Sally if she wishes to be added to the bulletin list. If so, I'd be so happy to do it. In the meantime, if there's anyone out there who may wish to contact Sally, her e-mail is salsie1718 at hotmail-dot-com. The deceased's name is NORMA ELLEN JAY. Suzi, did she attend WC?

As promised, here's a bit more on the brand-new, proposed MSK gathering. The concept created by 1958's RONALD D. "TOM" FEE has taken on a life of its own. You know me, and I'm one proud Miami Shores Kid, 100%, through and through. So far, Tom has joined forces with two other MSKs, as previously mentioned, 1958-ers, WILLIAM R. HOWARD and DONALD I. MCCOY. The three of them will put it all together and let me know the final plans, which I will then announce to all of you.

So far, it is suggested that this be held at WENDELL WAX Memorial Park, which is in MS. There has yet been no change to the suggested 1 p.m. gathering time, so perhaps that will remain as it is. The date will be October 11, as there's no other weekend time slot available. Plans to secure the park now remain a work in progress and Tom hasn't yet decided on the official name for the gathering he founded. However, he so far likes the idea of our attendees bringing a covered dish. So tuck that away in the back of your mind. Do we know how many will attend? No. Do we yet know who will bring what? No. But the fact is, I've been to a million things like this, and they all just somehow seem to work out and we always have tons of food and even a slug of leftovers, when it's all said and done. So we won't worry about that part. Of one thing, I'm sure; i.e., with Tom, Bill, and Don putting things in order, it will be a great success. I'll update all of you as soon as I get the final plans. So keep that time slot available! Also coming forth with a few helpful suggestions was 1970's VICKIE JO GILBERT (so I just have to ask, Vickie, are you an MSK, too?) Good luck with your dad, Vickie. For those of you who may not know, Vickie cares for her father, who is an invalid. Her husband is JERRY T. EUBANK of the class of 1963.


An obvious part of such a gathering would be the presence of Wendell's first wife, 1961's LILY K. "KITTY" BURDETTE, with whom he had 2 children. I have notified Kitty and she agreed to try and make it and to tell their children of it, too, once the plans are finalized. As for Bill Howard, he writes that HE will not be sharing all his MS memories, until he has very thoroughly checked out the statute of limitations. Ha! Love that, Bill. It seems that just might apply to you, too, 1955's FREDA P. FLETCHER!!

Listen, gang, I know I've written about this previously. But it has recently come to my attention that lingering problems remain for this WC alumnus. All of you may recall the plight of 1971's RODNEY R. GABBARD. Not only is he a former firefighter, but also a veteran, and he's wheelchair-bound. If I'm not mistaken, he's got a powered wheelchair now, but wasn't able to get together the money to wheelchair-equip his vehicle in order to be able to leave home. Now, don't ask me why the VA doesn't accommodate his needs. I don't know that, only that Rod told me he has appealed to them on every level, with no success.

But here's the REAL kicker! He can't even leave his house, due to the fact that he's unable to afford to get a ramp built, so that he can at least go outside and get a little sun. Is there ANYone among us, who has any sort of connection to get this done for him? Does anybody own a construction company? Is anyone we have on this list, really handy with doing this sort of stuff? He doesn't live that far from the Dayton area. I am so baffled by this entire situation, I can't believe it and I would like very much to find help for him. Does anyone have newspaper connections, who could get a human interest story into the Cincinnati Enquirer? Do any of you know a, "beneficent builder," who lives in that area, who might be willing to lend a hand? I'm betting we've got SOMEONE in this group who might be able to offer assistance. If there's anything you're able to do to help Rod, please contact him, not me. I am providing his contact info, as follows:
Rodney R. Gabbard
3408 State Route 756
Felicity Ohio 45120-9593
Res.: 513 680-7266
E-mail: ( Rodgabbard at aol-dot-com )
Wife is Linda L. Meyers-Gabbard
We're the big WC machine, are we not? I can't help but believe we can somehow do something about this man's situation, which might help him to improve his quality of life. If he served this country in military service, he shouldn't have to cope with this. In fact, no one should! Thanks for any help for Rod.

As I type, it is May 24. Last night, I had a long, windy conversation with 1960's EULA FAYE BAILEY, from her new abode in Kansas City, Missouri. She'd been in Kingsport last week, as you all know, and we found we'd missed each other by a mere hour. But we'll all see her in October, she has promised.

Today, I had an even longer, windier conversation with 1960's EDGAR L. "EDDIE" KELLY. Ed called from his Nampa, Idaho, home to give me the report on his recent visit to see lifelong best pal, CURTIS A. KEMP, who is catastrophically ill, as we've all known for quite a while. Ed said he wouldn't trade his visit to Curt for a king's ransom. He's so thrilled he went and they had a wonderful and special time, he says.

However, things aren't currently going so well for Curt and we just don't know what's coming. Eddie reports that Curt entered the hospital again yesterday. At the moment, he's been diagnosed with pneumonia, and that could well be fatal for him, given the fact that he's got leukemia, already. Let's all do double-duty on the miracle prayer chain, shall we? After we ended the conversation, I decided to call and alert Curt's other two best pals, AARON COUCH (I left a message on his machine) and 1962's RICHARD C. CALL, with whom I had a lengthy conversation. Rich and I ran in the same crowd in high school, so we always have a good time talking of our adventures, but today, we were more focused on Curt. I didn't want either of them to first read about Curt's latest health problem in a bulletin. I well recall how close they all were, in school.

In other news of illnesses, I very much regret to tell all of you that I have misreported an illness on two of our alumni. I'm deeply sorry for the error. I reported last time that CHAS. T. CROY and RONALD L. BROWN are both suffering from cancer. That is incorrect. I'm sure we're all happy to know they don't have cancer, but the fact is, they both DO have dementia. I thank 1956's RALPH D. WILSON for drawing this error to my attention. Also, Ralph, you had mentioned the addition of a nephew of yours, but you didn't include his e-mail address. Did you mean to send that to me or not? If so, I missed it. Let me know, please. He also mentioned his older brother, ELMO, had played basketball with the Brown twins. I remembered them, once I knew it was the ones who are twins.

Yet another notice of illness arrived from 1963 class member, FRANCES J. PEFFLY, who reported that her sister, ARDICE, is ill. She'd be in about her late 70s now, as Fran wrote that she thought Ardice to be in about the 1948 class. I went through my books for about the last 5 years of the 1940s and didn't find her there, but that doesn't necessarily mean she wasn't, of course. I simply am unable to confirm a grad year. But in any case, we all wish for a quick recovery for Ardice. The Peffly family had fifteen children and is now down to just 6, reported Fran. Fran will also be with us in October. We're looking forward to it, Fran!

At this point, I want to plead my case, a little bit. As I write these bulletins, they're done over a period of a few weeks, sometimes. They're so lengthy, I know I may repeat a thing or two, here and there. So I'll ask all of you to please overlook the repetitions when you see them. It's WAY too time-consuming to read back over all this text and then go into delete mode. I'll try to do it as little as possible, but I do realize it does happen, from time to time. I appreciate tolerance and latitude from all of you. You know how scatter- brained I am, after all! As a great example of that, I can tell you that I have just inadvertently erased all the rest of my WC e-mails, from which I was writing this bulletin. From here on out, I'm winging it, so forgive me if I overlooked yours and do write me again to remind of what you sent. Deal? I'm operating strictly from memory now, and thank God, that's so far been quite good.

Okay, so remember when I mentioned those RENAS brothers in the last bulletin (1957's LAWRENCE J., JR., and 1960's DOUGLAS A.)? Well, it seems they were pretty good pals with 1961's DAVID S. VAN SCOYK, whom I'll bet plenty of us also remember. I received an e-mail from Larry, in which he requested I try to find their old friend. I love doing this, of course, and I got right on it. There's nothing quite so fulfilling as the feeling one gets when they reconnect old high school pals, believe me!

Anyway, I did all the usual stuff, using the directories, the white pages, the yearbooks, and then enlisted a few other tricks of the trade, much of which I learned from master sleuth, 1958's WILLIAM R. HOWARD. I not only succeeded in locating Dave, but he called me back, that night at 9. I gave him the number for the Renas family, and I e-mailed his number to them. I am sure they've by now connected. So did you talk yet, Larry? Give us a report, please.

On our official designated Memorial Day holiday (not the real one, which for me, will always be the 30th), I received a great e-mail from 1961's DONNA JEAN RICHARDS. For me, this woman is a delight. She's also an inspiration. As I've already told her, she has an extremely rare quality, which is that of being able to handle life, instead of life handling her. There are not many among us who can do that. "I want to grow up and be just like you, Donna!"

Anyway, Donna wrote that she attended a service for the military, where she saw classmate MICHAEL C. BAKER, who served as a Grand Marshal. He has a glowing military record, apparently. Anyway, wrote Donna, as they went through the ceremony, citing his wonderful accomplishments, a bird flew over and left its droppings on Mike. Life has a way of making us live in the moment, doesn't it? She also wrote of a chance meeting, at that same event, with 1958's VINCENT A. BRODBECK, who is the widower of 1960's DOROTHY J. WILLMAN. She said they had a great conversation and Vince seems to be staying busy and doing as well as can be expected. Let's all remember him, though, when we dial numbers and make visits. His loss is still very new. Indeed, OUR loss is still very new and it will be hard, even for ME, to go to alumni events and not see Dottie there, not to even mention my own sister, 1956's JUDY ANN RISNER. But we ARE the big WC machine, and together, we can get through anything!

Writing to advise me of a new e-mail address were 1958's THERESA M. MOSES and spouse, THOS. D. ELLIOTT. Theresa said they finally got roadrunner and I'm not sure how that figures into the grand plan, but I guess it's a big improvement, eh, Theresa? In any case, thanks for keeping us posted.

From 1963's SHIRLEY A. RANKIN came an e-mail to advise me, due to the astronomical cost of fuel, it may not be possible for her to swing through this part of Tennessee, after all. Well, don't even think about it, Shirley! I know exactly what you mean. Don't we all? That reminds me, by the way, in this age of such high prices and so many rip-offs, we're all looking for a bargain. Now, I'm not a big fan of Wal-Mart, but it's not because of their size. Sam Walton, however you slice the pie, absolutely epitomized the American dream of success and wealth, so it's not that, it is a few other issues. Of course, nevertheless, I do shop at Wal-Mart, infrequently, and I do make a few yearly trips to Sam's. In doing so, I found what may be the best coffee I ever tasted, as goes your regular, every-day pot of coffee. It's the Members Mark (Sam's Club brand) and is in a black and gold foil-like bag, which bears the words, "Rain Forest," on it and some sort of Spanish words, too. The price is really right on this coffee, too, by the way. So you reminded me of that, Shirley, when you wrote of everything having such high prices.

As I file through my memory bank, I'm recalling e-mail from our three Miami Shores Kids event planners, in which they've opted to name the event Miami Shores Memories. As previously written, it will be an open event. So far, they're working on the park reservation and they want to get an ad into the little paper which is published in Moraine City. Can anyone get that done? Why isn't it going into the Dayton Daily News, too? I would bet they'd print it, under their community events, don't you think? As previously mentioned, it's a committee of three 1958-ers, DONALD I. MCCOY, WILLIAM R. HOWARD, and founder, RONALD D. "TOM" FEE. So if you have input, please contact a committee member. Tom is the CEO. At this point, I'm assuming the time of 1 p.m. and the date of Oct. 11, are holding firm. Please tell every Miami Shores Kid and/or any other interested party you see.

Cousin JUDITH L. SAMUELS and I continue with our daily prattle. I sometimes think it may serve to keep us both sane. We've solved every problem on the globe, and done tons of housework, too. I also heard from hers and my mutual close friend in elementary school, V. JEAN WARD. She also lives in the state of Tennessee, and just remarried in August of 2006. Her last name is now Rhule. I hope to get you to to go to Ohio some October, Jean. Everyone still does remember you, you know (especially 1960's GARY L. WARLAUMONT, but that's another whole story, isn't it, Gary? Ha!)

Also checking in was 1958's NICHOLAS P. "NICK" WOLARY, whom I'm sure will be joining his class in October for the big bash. We'll all have to start saving our dimes and nickels right now, in order to scrape up the cash to pay these fuel bills to get up there, I guess. Isn't this tragic?

There was an auto-reply from 1963's LEE JEAN JORDAN. So does this mean you have taken a trip somewhere, Lee? If so, you know what I'm going to say. Where did you go? What did you do? Who went with you? "Enquiring minds want to know!" I got a similar e-mail from 1961's SALLY LYNNE GILLETTE and her 1960 spouse, CHAS. A. "BUD" LOWMAN III, and Sally, you didn't tell me all the gory details, either! However, you did say you'd returned from a wonderful trip, so let's have it, hear? But I do thank you for the good wishes for my husband.

So MANY of you, by the way, have sent along good wishes for him. Things are looking up, I must tell you. I'm so thrilled to be able to write that. He came home on May 12, literally immobile, incontinent, and every negative thing one can think. Today (it's now May 26)
, he's lucid at all times, sitting up, walking some short distances, eating regular meals, and able to go to his medical appointments (to which I drive him, with my newly-acquired Tennessee drivers license, by the way.) So thank you all.

Quite regularly, I speak to (and e-mail) my right-hand man for this bulletin, MICHAEL S. WEST. He reports he's updating his famous blog, thereby making every -thing current, posting photos, notices, and such. He was inspired by the last bulletin, as he had thought no one was reading his great blog. I assured him that is not the case. I make reference to it quite often, on many occasions, myself. By the way, for those who may not know this, the website to access the blog is
( http://www.wchs.blogspot.com/ ) You'll be amazed by the all info Mike has recorded there. It's impressive!

Settling well into her new North Carolina surrounding is 1960's BEVERY JOAN HAAS. She's living out in the boonies, surrounded by nature at its finest, much the same as me and Mike and a few others. We all wish her the best, I know. She writes she likes her new digs and is adjusting well.

Hey, just how many of us actually DID go to Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, in its old location? I'm getting one e-mail after another about that church. I remember SO many of us who went there, but must have forgotten few of them, too. The church was headed by Pastor Charles L. Mullen. He died but a few years back and was well into his 80s. I believe he lived in Cincinnati, at the time. He had cared for his mother, for his entire adult life and never married. I distinctly recall he would always make a correction if people addressed him, using the title of, "Reverend Mullen," rather than his preferred, "Pastor Mullen." He would patiently tell everyone that use of that word, or anything relative to reverence, should be reserved, "only for our Lord and Saviour." It is you once again, FREDA P. FLETCHER, who evoked these many memories. So you see, an MS gathering without YOU, would be like salt without pepper, fall without winter, Laurel without Hardy, etc. Are you getting my drift here? Freda also sent me an e-mail address for JUNETTA COLLINS. Does anyone remember her? I'm going to write her and see if we can bring her into the circle. Freda writes that she (Junetta) now lives in Kentucky.

This paragraph is for you, K. JUNE CRUTCHFIELD. Did we successfully get my classmate, MADELEINE D. CAMPBELL, added to the list to receive a mailed reservation form for October? If not, her e-mail is
( mmdwdm at aol-dot-com ). I know you're the one who can get this done, June, and thanks.

Confirming attendance for the alumni gig is 1962's JOHN A. COMBS, who winters in Astor, Florida. He will be heading up to Ohio any day, now and getting everything in order, regarding vehicles and homes. As many of you will recall, I ran into John and wife, Donna, at a Lowe's store in Ormond Beach, about 2-3 months before moving to Tennessee. We talked a while, I added him to the bulletin list, and the rest is history. I'm sure you're pretty excited about hooking up with old friends, John, and we'll all be happy to see you there!

So what's the update on you, CHAS. V. CARTER, 1960? How is your recovery going since your big mishap of May 10? I've gotten a few people who are asking the same thing as me, which is, "What were you thinking?" But hey, we don't go there, will we? I wonder if you got any teasing from any of your old, high school football buddies. Did you? I'm sure you recall your old pal, GERALD A. FULLER? Well, he had a comment or two! Anyway, we all hope you're going to be well, very soon. DON'T stand on the top of the hopper anymore!!!!

Many thanks to 1961's JACK L. GODBY, to 1959's GARY E. BARNES, and 1956's RALPH D. WILSON, all of whom always shower me with flowery praise for each and every WeCaTon. You guys sure do know how to butter me up and keep me typing! It works, every time.

From Judi A. Pendley, wife of 1960's LARRY M. PENDLEY, came a nice e-mail, after I wrote to her when I received a small motor for my bathroom fan (in my circa 1953 house) from none other than the Tipp City company of A. O. Smith, where Judi was once employed (when I first met her). Judi tells me she's got a great job now and enjoys it immensely. Good for you, Judi!

We've got what is probably the most gallant and self -less suggestion I've ever received in the nearly-eight years I've been doing these bulletins. It came to me from 1958's RONALD D. "TOM" FEE. Tom wants to take steps to get a street in Miami Shores renamed to honor THOMAS EUGENE "TOMMY" COMBS, who was killed in the Vietnam war about 1967. I'm pretty sure I have his legal name correct, but not 100 %. Anyway, I think that's such an honorable, fitting idea, Tom, and I do hope it comes to pass. I don't know what I could do to help you in that effort, but if there IS anything, do let me know. I'd be honored to offer any assistance I could give. I'm sure we all feel that way. I vividly remember all the Combs boys, and Dorothy, too!

Also checking in was MARVIN A. COLLINS. All of us probably remember the Collins family. He currently resides in Tarpon Springs, Florida, is retired from GM, is divorced, and writes he lives alone, and plays a lot of golf. I had originally written to Marvin in the hope of locating 1958's WARREN I. COLLINS for his 50th. To my surprise, Marvin told me he's unrelated to that Collins. Marvin wrote that all 3 of his brothers are deceased and the only remaining members of his family are himself and his sister, LUCILLE, who lives in Indiana. Thanks for the update, Marvin, and do some up to Ohio in October, hear? We'd all love to see you again.

Sending in a couple of great photos was NORMAN E. JACKSON, 1955. Those are going to be placed on the blog, Norm. For those of you haven't yet seen them, it's a photo of Norm astride a motorcycle and another one of his son, Christopher, also on one. It seems that father and son will be taking a long road trip together, and the target state is North Dakota, the only one in the lower 48 where Norm hasn't been on a motorcycle. He says this will likely be his last, long-distance road trip, which is apparently anything over 600-or-so miles. We hope you and Chris have a great trip, Norm, and please stay safe out there. I am happy to report that I rode a number of miles in Ohio with Norm, myself, many years ago. Those sure were fun times!

From 1963's SHIRLEY ANN RANKIN came a lot of news! She and her talented spouse are currently in the process of redecorating their RV. It sounds like a major project. I remember when we redid one ours, some years ago. It cost a fortune and I loved it! She is going to attend the big 127 Yard Sale, which runs up and down the U.S (in the eastern half) for about 600 miles. Boy, does that sound fun! She says it starts at the Ohio/Michigan line and runs clear down to Gadsden, Alabama. Now, THAT'S a garage sale!

Hey, I found this very interesting and admirable. I'm told that 1958's JUDITH M. SMITH is an member of The Minutemen. That's the organization which over- sees the illegal aliens. Since she resides in Lake Havasu City, Arizona, she's perfectly positioned for this mission. Long ago, I vowed never to make this bulletin a platform for religious or political causes, and I won't do it, now. But I will make just one, quick comment: i.e., "WAY TO GO, JUDY!!"

Also from 1958, WILLIAM R. HOWARD is planning yet another trip, this time it will be to Las Vegas, and he also plans to visit his sister in Tulsa, Oklahoma. It is possible he also may swing by the home of his aforementioned classmate, Judy, while he's out that way, to see how she's doing. Do give us a full report on what sounds as though it's going to be extensive traveling, Bill!

From my classmate, MICHAEL S. WEST, came one of the more amusing e-mails I've received in quite a long time. It's too good to condense, so I'm going to recap it, ver batim, to see how many of you can also appreciate his sentiments. He writes, "Gawd, I miss those late-night smokin', drinkin', card-playin' bull sessions! Now, most are gone, and I'm stuck makin' polite conversation with the ladies of the Gatlinburg Garden Club. Now, there is a voracious bunch of babes! Dead husbands and on the hunt again! Of course, you never want to miss a meeting. If you do, you will be on the roasting spit!" Ha! What a grand paragraph, Mike! I've read it over and over and each time, I laugh aloud. Thanks for that.

The last time I spoke with 1960's CHAS. A. HIGH, JR., he told me he'd be calling his fellow WC/MSK, WALLACE W. ROBBINS. I haven't yet gotten back a report, but I'm betting he did. I spoke last night to my brother-in-law (my sister's widower), who told me he had recently spoken with Charlie. He and Charlie do chat, from time to time. My brother-in-law is doing as well as can be expected. He maintains contact with my sister's best friend, 1956's ANITA RAE MASON, who's currently still being treated for stomach cancer and actually doing pretty well. I spoke to her recently, myself. I'm glad she and Ralph maintain contact with each other.

Finally, an update came to us from 1960's WILLIAM O. WALKER and his WC-honorary spouse, Karen. It seems the Walkers continue to busily clear land on their new property in Alvin, Texas. As they go through the process, reports Karen, they're finding all sorts of things in the underbrush. They've got 5 acres to do, and Karen has dubbed their proposed new home as a, "Barnomium." As I understand it, they're building a huge barn to house all their toys and their residence will be on the top. Karen writes that Bill has bought a huge Kubota tractor, complete with bush hog, front- end loader, box blade, etc. She says he's madly in love with it. (Shades of CHAS. V. CARTER and all of HIS heavy equipment!) Obviously, Bill's Kubota IS the other woman, as Karen wrote he'd get rid of her before the Kubota goes anywhere. Among the items they've found so far, are an abandoned car and a pond but I guess the best find was the old toilet, eh? Will you two be incorporating the creepy crapper into your new abode? Ha! "Well, one out of three ain't bad, you guys!"

With that great report from the Walkers (long overdue as it was, ahem!), I'll close this finally-timely edition of the WeCaTon News Report. Before I go, though, I'll give you the recap of the upcoming alumni weekend, and make SURE you keep that weekend open! If an event arises, your standard response should be, "I'm so sorry, but I have a solid, prior commitment on that weekend." (Practice this phrase, as often as you can, GARY L. WARLAUMONT.) Okay, so on Friday, the 10th (October, of course), there will be 1959's GARY E. BARNES' golf tourney, I'm sure. That evening will be the brainchild of 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST, the 6th annual Frisch's Frolic. On Saturday, the 11th, we will launch Miami Shores Memories at 1p.m. and it will hopefully be at Wendell Wax Memorial Park, and was founded by longtime MSK, 1958's RONALD D. "TOM' FEE. That evening is our crown jewel event, the dinner/dance at the Holiday Inn Ballroom, S.R. 725 and I-75. Sunday morning will bring the usual round of breakfasts, brunches and lunches, before everyone leaves for home. So it's become quite a full weekend, as you can see. Don't miss it!! It's more fun than you can ever imagine. As always, I leave each of you with my sincere wish for glowing health, great happiness, peaceful serenity, spiritual harmony, and boundless prosperity.

Ciao!



---And there you have it! More at 11--- B





Powered by Blogger