.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Friday, September 19, 2008
 
(LATE POST-sorry) WE*CA*TON NEWS REPORT, 11 SEP 2008:

Bonnie Writes:

---Once again, I'm going to try and do my report in some sort of chronological order. I've tried this in the past and it didn't work out very well, but I'm again determined to have a go at it, so bear with me. We'll begin, as always, with our forwarders. They are as follows: teacher JAS. C. JOHNSON; 1949's ROBT. E. HOFFMAN; 1951's DOYLE A. LONAKER: 1954's WM. L. MCNABB;1955's FREDA P. FLETCHER, NORMAN E. JACKSON;1957's ERCELL P. PHILLIPS; 1958's RONALD D. "TOM" FEE; 1959's GARY E. BARNES; 1960's RICHARD S. HOLT, STEVEN M. KOKOT, JUDITH ANN SLIFE, DAVID A. BLAIR, DAVID G. OTT, DOLORES K. "DEDE" FAHRNEY, EULA FAYE BAILEY, EDGAR L. "EDDIE" KELLY, LARRY M. PENDLEY, DANNY L. WALTERS; 1961 's JANET L. WALTERS, JACQUELYN N. LESHER, SANDRA S. MAYO, CONNIE M. MARCUM; 1962's BARBARA T. O'NEAL, RICH-ARD C. CALL; 1963's FRANCES L. PEFFLY, SANDRA R. MINIX; 1970's THOS. A. DORSEY; 1971's PAMELA K. SHIPLEY; 1987's SHARLENE N. MERKER.

As we closed our last report, we had an auto-reply from 1960's PHILIP H. WOLFORD, which said he'd be gone from August 22-28. So where is our big vacation report, Phil? Where did you go, who did you see, what did you do? "Enquiring minds want to know!"

There was also a welcome (albeit disappointing) e-mail from 1959's CAROLYN E. "TOOTIE" PENCE, in which she reported she would not be at our 2008 alumni weekend, stating it was for various reasons. I assured her that her fan club is still in tact (and it is) and I naturally am assuming Tootie won't be absent in 2009, no matter what. It's your 50th, Tootie!

From 1968's PAULA J. STRAUB came a gracious and newsy reply, in which she stated she's looking forward to meeting me. Well, the feeling is mutual, Paula, and I hope that's about to happen, by the time we all get to read this. Paula was also happy to know the whereabouts of 1960's SONDRA L. MATSON as well as her classmate/spouse, JOHN PATRICK LAFFERTY, as she had childhood ties to them. She was a neighbor to Pat and said Sondra worked with her mother at Elder-Beerman's. By the way, I did get an e-mail from Sondra, in which she confirmed the passing of her brother, DAVID E. MATSON. There is more on that, further down, in this bulletin.

Paula also wanted to contact 1960's SHARON L. BORGER, to whose family she also had ties. I was sort of hamstrung and didn't have info for Paula. Further down in the text, we've addressed this issue for you, Paula. She had also written of Dave Matson dying of cancer sometime during the calendar year of 2007. I was not aware of that, and we also aren't able to nail down a class year. I will have to ask for expert assistance from 1965's STEVEN F. SHADE on this one. Again, this issue is addressed, further down in the text.

Attention, GERALD A. FULLER, 1960! Does your sister, LYNDA, have a new e-mail address? We've lost her! Her mail was sent back on the last report, saying there's no such address. Help! Okay, where are you, JAMES E. KECKLER, 1958? Yours was also returned, stating your mailbox is full. If any of you talk to Jim, tell him to empty his mailbox, so he can get the last bulletin, please. (Footnote: Recent communication has come from Jim. All is well on that front and I have a new e-mail address. "Call off the hounds!")

From 1958's RONALD D. "TOM" FEE came a long message about the COMBS family, which I found so interesting. This is, of course, the family with whom I was raised in Miami Shores. DOROTHY was in the 1961 class, THOS. EUGENE COMBS was the war hero who died in Vietnam. There was also TEX, but I didn't know his real name. In any case, Tom wrote that he got a letter from Dorothy, in which she told him she's the last, surviving member of her family. All her brothers are dead (I think she was the only girl in the family) and both her parents. Dorothy was very grateful to Tom for his efforts on the honorary naming of Beechgrove Road for brother Tommy, the war hero. One brother, ELIJAH, drowned in Miami Shores Dam in 1952, she wrote. Tex died in 1993. She also wrote she'd been once married to BEVO POTTER, with whom she had two children. He died in 1999, but I don't know if they were married, at the time of his death. It sounds as though it's time for us all to try to pull her back into our big, warm circle of WC friends, doesn't it? If anyone knows how to contact her (Tom?), please tell her how much we'd all like to see her and let's see if we can get her to join us!

Recently, I received my very first, direct e-mail from 1960's SHARON L. BORGER. I'm delighted by that and I sent back a prompt reply, of course. We're all terribly excited by the prospect of seeing you again in October, Sharon. For those of you who missed it, Sharon was with us at Frisch's one year (I think it was 2006). You can believe me when I tell you she remains ever the lovely and elegant lady. My thanks to old pal, 1958's BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, who tracked down her e-mail address, and we all sure welcome you back to the fold, Sharon. We are all so thrilled and excited! Did you write to your old pal, MADELEINE D. CAMPBELL, yet? If not, hurry and do so! (Okay, Paula, are you still reading?) Since I wrote the other paragraph, I got e-mail from Sharon, so write her. It is as follows: Sharry90 at gmail dot com

Thanks to 1958's ROBT. W. "SMITTY" SMITH for solving the mystery of why e-mail is being rejected for his classmate KEITH E. ANDERSON. He goes to a mountain retreat for a few months each year and has no contact with electronic items. I sure can't say that's all bad, but I do wish Keith was around to join us for the functions. Thanks, Smitty.

Did we add anyone? Well, don't we, always? This time, I'm delighted to tell you it's 1957's BETTY LEE CARROLL and RALPH H. WARNER. They're both Miami Shores Kids, too, and I'm told they still live there. Betty and Ralph will be with us at the Miami Shores Memories gathering, and hopefully, at all future gatherings for WC alumni! A big welcome goes out to Betty and Ralph. Stay in touch, Betty, and send us all your news.

Teacher DAVID E. COLLINS is currently incognito. I received an e-mail in which he told me he'll update me on his e-mail address, as soon as possible, but in the meantime, to use his cell phone. Sadly, I can't send the bulletins on the cell phone (or can I?), but I'm sure he'll be back on board soon. (Footnote: All is well for Mr. C. I've had recent communication and should now be able to send.)

You've all by now read the absolutely spectacular travel report, sent to me by JUDITH A. SLIFE,1960. Was that great or what? I'm sure we're all just green with envy, especially our well-known world travelers, 1960'S ROBERTA A. RICE, DAVID G. OTT, and 1963's SANDRA R. MINIX. But here's the big one. After prodding Judy for several years (oh,come on, Judy, let me take a little credit for this, okay?), she finally broke down and went to a WC gathering, opt-ing to go to the August 7 brunch of 1960 girls at the Perkins in Miamisburg. Terrific! So come on, Judy, we want to see you at alumni weekend, so will you PUUUUHH----LEASE be there this year? Judy also reported she had great fun and said it was attended by JOANN K. STEMLEY, SHIRLEY J. TUDOR, IDA JANE TREON, DOLORES K. "DEDE" FAHRNEY, JUDITH A. STALDER, and C. SUE MCCLOUD, for whom the event was held. How I wish I could have been there!

It has come to my attention that we have a brand-new, WC descendant. My sources tell me that 1961 class member, DONNA JEAN RICHARDS, is a grandmother again, this time to a little girl born to her daughter, on August 27. Is this correct, Donna? If so, that explains the deafening silence from your end of the world, doesn't it? Now, we all know you won't be spoiling this child, anymore than you did her older brother. Ha! Anyway, we all wish you well and offer heartiest congratulations on your new little bundle of joy. Perhaps you will have some photos when we see you in October, huh?

How about that fabulous old photo from 1959's H. JAY CARROLL, JR.? It just doesn't get a whole lot better than that one, does it? I've looked at it, over and over and over. I can but imagine what a thrill it was to those of you who were actually in it. Many thanks again, for that one, Junior!

For the past week or so (final week of August), I've been maintaining a running dialogue with 1961's JANET L. WALTERS. Janet, you're absolutely a delight and I've enjoyed every line of our exchanges. Thank you for taking all that time to write me. Now, I'm not going to tell all of you about the topics Janet and I have covered. Just suffice to say it was, "girl talk." However, I will tell you this much. It's Janet who was the one who wrote me a report on 1961's Kentucky Pajama Party at the home of CAROLE J. LEWIS. I'm given to understand, aside from Carole and Janet, those also in attendance were CHRIS L. CLEARY, DONNA J. RICHARDS, SALLY LYNNE GILLETTE, P. LYNNETTE GARRETT, SANDRA J. CASEY, and BARBARA T. O'NEAL (who, like me, is an honorary member of the 1961 class). What a great group!

Wow! The new readers just keep pouring in, and I couldn't be more thrilled. As of today (August 27), we've added 1988's KRISTIE A. WILSON and her 1990 spouse, BRANDON C. CARPENTER. As I went through my list of readers, I'm finding we have readers from EIGHT DECADES!! The earliest is the 1930s, and it goes straight through to the 2000s and I'm just jittery with excitement about that.

Brandon and Kristie came to us through the efforts of Kristie's aunt, 1963's FRANCES L. PEFFLY, as Kristie's mother is 1956's DONNA J. PEFFLY, who was also close friends with my late sister, JUDY A. RISNER. I trust you will all be tolerant of my making mention of my sister, when I can. Although she's no longer with us on this earth, she was truly a devoted Pirate while she was. Anyway, we welcome both Kristie and Brandon. You two send us all the news you've got about kids and jobs and cars and fun vacations and new homes and all that stuff. We don't get enough news about our younger alumni!

We have also added, as I previously wrote, BARRY P. BARNES, and don't you know I put him in here with the incorrect class year! I'm SO sorry, Barry! I wrote 1963, but he is actually 1964. Believe me, Barry, you're no less welcome, just because I wrote your year wrong. As you become a seasoned read -er, you will discover that I'm a writer who is often guilty of errors of this nature. That's why all of you have to help me with this!

From 1958's WM. R. HOWARD, a steady stream of banter arrives. We both try to figure out ways to get more people to attend our WC events and he has always helped me when I get stuck on locating this person or that one, too. His efforts have so far been quite successful. Thanks, Bill, and we'll see you and Lucy very soon now!

We've gotten a commitment from 1961's LILY K. "KITTY" BURDETTE to attend the dinner/dance this year. You know what THAT means! That big room is going to be MUCH prettier this year! Kitty is just as pretty as she was in high school and still bubbly, vivacious, and vital. We're all in for a treat. We can't wait to see you, Kitty! She's also going to try to get to the Miami Shores Memories event, earlier that same day, which will be held at the park which was named for her first husband, WENDELL WAX. Say, Kitty, how about trying to get your gorgeous sister, 1959's BETTY C. BURDETTE to join you and also her husband, RALPH E. "BUTCH" HARVILLE? We would all love to see them, too!

By the time you all read this, I may have had one more visit from old pal, BRUCE E. CHENOWETH. He's tentatively planning to arrive sometime during the first or second week of September, and he will be alone, rather than with his longtime companion of the 1971 class, PATTY JO WHEELBARGER. But why is that, you wonder? Well, naturally, I'm going to tell you.

On or about September 4, Patty will be leaving on a mercy-type of volunteer mission to Swaililand (sp?), Africa, where she'll be administering much-needed medical care to the people of that area. Bruce says it's the highest-per-capita rate of HIV/AIDS in the world. But believe me, Patty is the girl for this type of mission. She's functional, self-sufficient, terribly intuitive, and very capable. My greatest concern for her will be the fact that she runs at least 3-5 miles every day of her life, regardless of the weather, and I hope she doesn't go running through the brush (but she will) and become a kidnap victim or get hurt by a wild animal. I wouldn't worry about her so much on the kidnapping thing, as it would be a lot like the old story, "The Ransom of Red Chief." The kidnappers would be paying someone to come and take her off their hands, I'm sure! Come to think of it, Patty just might give most wild animals a start, too! However, we're all sure proud of you, Patty! That's a gutsy and brave thing you're doing and I know for sure, it's something I would NOT do. We all wish you well and look forward to a full report. Do be extra-careful and cautious while you're over there!

These next two items are rather sad pieces of news and perhaps most of you were already aware of it, but I was not. I discussed this passing in an earlier paragraph, of course, but now have more definitive information. As confirmed by 1965's STEVEN F. SHADE, 1966's (we think) DAVID E. MATSON, died on May 28, 2006. This was reported to him by ROBT. E. HOFFMAN, 1949, he told me. I am given to understand Dave was a colon cancer victim.

This next one was long ago and it's a member of the 1963 class, BARBARA ANN ROHLER. I was able to confirm this one through her older brother, WM. M. ROHLER, 1960, with whom I spoke on August 24. Barbara died in the Spring of 1998, he told me, although he wasn't able to confirm a precise date. She lived, at the time, in a small suburb of Nashville, which begins with an A, said Bill, but he wasn't able to remember the town's name. She had a sudden and massive heart attack and was but 52 years old when she died. Bill told me their father had also died, at the same age, from the very same thing. Barbara never married and her name was Rohler, at the time of her death. She was survived by one son. That's all we know. The tip that she had died, had come to me through her classmate, FRANCES L. PEFFLY, who had also talked with Bill.

This next contribution was an utter delight and came to us from 1945's RETHA MARIE SCHOONOVER, who is a relatively new sign-on. It seems Retha is a resident of roughly the same area as 1960's WM. M. ROHLER. When I spoke to Bill, I asked him if he was aware of a nearby place named, "Bashford's Hot Mineral Spa." Well, indeed he was, and he's been there and he knows the kids. Retha, they're undoubtedly YOUR kids. I've told Bill to get over to your place, at his earliest convenience and make the acquaintance of a fellow Pirate. So me may be coming to see you, sometime soon. Retha is just 7 miles south of Bombay Beach, where Bill lives.

She wrote that she and her husband started their business out there in 1965. So, Retha, you've been living in that area for a VERY long time! Retha says she hasn't been back to Ohio since 2003, but that one of her favorite things to do is to attend the big Peffly family gatherings. Well, the alumni gatherings would surely be a favorite, too, Retha. So please do give that some thought. We'd love to have you and thanks SO much for the newsy e-mail! (By the way, folks, Retha is, "Sleeping With The Enemy." She married one of those Miamisburg boys. Ha!)

Just today (August 27), I spoke at length with 1956's ANITA RAE MASON, who continues to deal with a few health problems, but is feeling good, generally, and is expecting to be with us in October. We also hope to see her 1957 sister, SARAH M. "JACKIE" MASON. Jackie and her spouse, O. J. "Junior" Hargis, will celebrate a 51st wedding anniversary on August 31. Congratulations, Jackie and Junior! That's pretty amazing. That same congratulations goes out to 1957's RALPH H. WARNER and wife, BETTY LEE CARROLL, who also celebrated their 51st wedding anniversary, recently.

It seems that I must again allude to the 1963 class. I am happy to report that their enthusiasm is running high. It's so refreshing! They're liable to bypass all of us, the way things are going. A lengthy, newsy e-mail came from FRANCES L. PEFFY, in which she listed many classmates who are either attending the 45th festivities or who have helped immensely with it. They include SANDRA R. MINIX, and yes, just as I expected, ANNA MAE STOKES, BEVERLY K. LIGHT, DANA L. GREEN, GAYLE E. LESHER, and we have TERRIE A. STOLTZ who's flying in from Alabama. So Fran sent a great report. She also said she knows why 1959's GARY E. BARNES is so happy. Gary is married to Pat. Pat and Fran are related, so Fran writes it's because, "He married a Peffly girl!" So there it is.

Many thanks to 1951's DOYLE A. LONAKER for taking the time to update me on a new e-mail for him. As far as I know, you're our only 1951 reader, Mr. L., and as I wrote you already, I'd hate to lose you. But I'm a real diehard on losing ANYone. It's especially true, though, for those class years from which I have just one reader!

Speaking of those who are lost, I'm again getting reject notices on 1954's CAROLYN G. GILLETTE, so I'm depending upon you, 1961 sis, SALLY L. GILLETTE, to get me through this one. I've also got a reject notice on 1960's IDA JANE TREON, so somebody out there help me! Did anyone ever get a new e-mail address on 1956's SUSAN MARIE MASON? If so, I need it. There's also an, "over quota," notice for you, DAVID A. BLAIR, 1960, so do clear that, so that you can get your WC news, will you (and thanks)?

Okay, I'm going to try very hard on this one. I've just received an e-mail from M-M-Mu-Murl, as in MURL E. HUFFMAN. (I'm trying so desperately, at his request, to learn to address him by using his first name, but it's really a psychological struggle for me, as you all know.) Anyway, yes, he was a bit under the weather for a while, having contracted a case of flu. He writes that he's fine now and back in the old groove---using his mountain bike, taking a road trip to Chicago, dancing with Marj Bogan (his significant other), and says if he's invited, he'll appear at any and all class reunions.

In the 1960s, he writes, he developed a particular type of test and it's now being tried in a few learning institutions. It's actually called, "The Huffman Test," and is one which is used so that students will retain the knowledge, rather than forgetting everything, the minute the test is done. He writes that, due to the unique structure of the test, it has produced far better results. That's our Civics teacher! He'll be with us on alumni weekend, of course! Consider this your invitation to attend EVERYTHING---Murl! (Lord, that was SO difficult for me!)

From Moraine City Councilman Stephen M. French came an e-mail, in which he invited me to attend the Miami Shores dedication ceremony for THOMAS EUGENE COMBS, when they place the honorary plaque in his honor, which will read as, "Tommy Combs Way." Councilman French wrote that it will take place on November 9, 2008. If I lived in that area, I surely would be there. It is my understanding that Tommy's cousin, 1958's WM. R. HOWARD, is going to be there, and I'm sure there will be others, including his sister, 1961's DOROTHY M. COMBS.
By the way, from 1960's JUDITH A. SLIFE came a written pat on the back for all of you, for that effort.

PAUL R. BEARDSLEY,1961, sent a-mail in which he wrote that he may be coming to Kingsport in the company of his 1961 spouse, SANDRA E. BROCK, and they may be accompanied by classmate LILY K. "KITTY" BURDETTE and her spouse. If they do, he says they will drop by to see me. What a thrill! He has been in contact recently with 1960's CHAS. A. HIGH, JR., and also asked for contact info for WALLACE W. ROBBINS. Did you reach him yet, Paul? I do hope so. I know he'd be so pleased to hear from you, and any other WC folks. Paul and Sandy took the time to postally mail to me two postcards of a nostalgic nature, which showed photos of Woody's Supermarket. Thank you both for that very thoughtful gesture.

JOHN Q. KEMP, 1969, is trying to get copies of a photo of his late brother, CURTIS A. KEMP, with his pals, AARON COUCH and EDGAR L. "EDDIE" KELLY. Eddie wants one of them, so I wrote John and told him. Hang in there, Ed, John is working on your request! I believe 1962's RICHARD C. CALL also wants one of those.

As we move through this bulletin period, I'm happy to report that 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST did break down and buy new cabinets from a manufacturer, for his and Sally's new kitchen and he IS having the installation done by the professionals. He has also admonished me for bragging so much about my new state of residence,Tennessee, and he is right! Too many people are moving here and we do not want anymore, right, Mike? So I take it all back and I want you all to know Tennessee is a horrid place to live. You don't want to come here at all. How's that, Mike?

From 1968's PAULA J. STRAUB comes a request to remind everyone about her class' 40th reunion. I would like to give the exact date, time, and place of that event, but alas! I don't have it. Did you send me that info, Paula?

A delightfully-warm e-mail came from SHIRLEY R. PARKS, 1959 class' homecoming queen and cheer -leader and all-around outstanding beauty, in which she wrote of her father getting a big kick out of his mention in the last news bulletin. Shirley also told me her dad is 92, not late 80s, as I'd thought. That is truly amazing, Shirley! As I wrote, I'd be scared to have a surgery at MY age. Your dad sets a glowing example for us all. Please convey our best to Mr. Roy Parks and many thanks for your e-mail! Shirley has long been wed to 1957's NEIL H. SIZER, by the way. We sure do hope to see the Sizers at the WC events this year. Can you also drag along your little brother, Neil? (That's 1959's GARY L. SIZER. We would like to see you, too, Gary!)

FREDA P. FLETCHER, 1955, and I are off and run- ning again! We talk about about everything---Miami Shores, politics, kids and grandkids, life in general. I was trying to get Freda to remember that trio of Miami Shores rascals, who consisted of CARL F. ROBBINS, PETE BAILEY, and SONNY WILLIAMS. But she doesn't remember them. I'll bet lots of you do, though, don't you? I hear Pete and Sonny still live there. I'm pretty sure Carl resides in D.C.

Are you reading this, ILONA DEBRECENI, 1964? If you are, I want to tell you that you were apparently the envy of many of your classmates at WC. A few of the girls have written to tell me they wished they looked like you, when they were in school. Looking forward to seeing you in October is also 1961's P. LYNNETTE GARRETT. Remember her? I'm sure there are others, too!

Speaking of Lynn, she's off again! She's been back home from Nevada for only about 7-8 weeks, but is heading to Orange Park, Florida, to her sister's, in order to assist with her care during the time she's having a few medical problems . Lynn reported that she will be gone about a week and will definitely be with us all in October. Today (August 30), Lynn's spouse, Frank L. Hawvermale, sustained a pretty serious cut to his hand, while trimming a huge bush. He had to go to the ER and get stitches. We all hope you're going to be good as new, very soon, Frank. Lynn, don't work too hard in Florida!

Lynn sent yet another interesting e-mail, in which she wrote that she had run into 1958 class member, MARGIE L. MILTON. Who among us doesn't recall Margie? She was pretty, popular, a cheerleader, a homecoming attendant, the whole enchilada. But I never hear from you, Margie! Why is that? Anyway, Lynn went on and on about how great you now look, Margie, and you do, that's for sure. She also told me how much you enjoy the bulletins, so thanks for that. Lynn also commented on the youthful looks of 1956's ANITA RAE MASON (yes, she does look positively fabulous) and of SHIRLEY R. PARKS. We all know how great Shirley looks. You're right, Lynn, what can I say? All 3 of them look as though they've just stepped off the pages of the Piratan!

It's still August 30 and I had a lengthy chat, earlier in the day, with 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST. The next few sentences are for you two, 1958's RONALD D. "TOM" FEE and 1959's H. JAY CARROLL, JR. It is Mike's opinion that the 1954 Miami Shores photo is a true treasure. I tend to agree with him. He'd like to get a direct scan of that photo. Don't one of you two have an original copy of it? If so, please bring it to alumni weekend and connect with Mike, so that he can get a good scan of the original photo. Failing that, I can attest to Mike's meticulous attention to detail and his tremendous sense of responsibility, so if you would mail him the original photo, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, you'd have it promptly returned and fully in tact. You guys contact Mike, will you, and make some arrangement about this? His e-mail is W4MSW at charter dot net. Thanks.

From 1955's NORMAN E. JACKSON came some really spectacular photos of his motorcycle trip out west with son, CHRIS. Boy, was I ever green with envy! Every single photo he sent was one which was filled with extremely familiar terrain for me. I've been to all those places SO many times, and ridden thousands of miles in that part of the country, so it was fun to see the recent photos.

Cousin JUDITH L. SAMUELS and I continue our daily exchange of useless information. Ha! But we keep exchanging recipes, grocery prices, charges on utilities, and all the everyday stuff of life. As I type, there is Hurricane Gustav headed into the Gulf of Mexico and then Tropical Storm Hanna coming in toward the east coast of Florida, possibly. Next, we have Hurricane Ike, and the next one is to be named as Josephine. I guess I'll miss those festivities this year. "Been there, done that, not doing it again," and although catastrophic weather wasn't one of the reasons for my move from Florida, after nearly 30 years in the same house, I'm sure finding I do not miss all the hurricane hoopla and stress.

Hey, we've got another sign-on, can you believe it? This time, it's 1982's STACEY A. DANIEL and she is the daughter of 1963's LEE JEAN JORDAN. Weare picking up many more of the more recent alumni and I'm terribly pleased about that. I had a time with figuring out a few things on the e-mail list, but I got it, I think. Thanks so much, Lee Jean! We hope you'll enjoy the bulletins, Stacey. By the way, she's an ICU cardiac nurse at Good Samaritan Hospital.

On September 1, I got an enthusiastic e-mail from 1963's FRANCES L. PEFFLY. She's going to be staying at the Hawthorne, during alumni weekend, right next door to her old friends, the OTTs (1960's DAVID G. and 1963's SANDRA R. MINIX). There is little doubt they'll all be at all festivities and enjoy- ing every minute of the entire weekend. That's what we'll all do, of course.

More on hurricanes! As I type this day's text, I'm watching the coverage of Hurricane Gustav, as it pounds the Louisiana coastline, and I can't help but remember those two years in Florida during which hurricanes hit my own area, as I watched it in awe from my front porch. Now, I've got to tell you, I'm so glad I had that experience. It's not something everyone gets to do and emerge as I did, unscathed. But I won't be missing undergoing that experience again. I do worry, of course, as my children and grandchildren are still all there. We've got Hurricane Hanna right behind Gustav, so by the time we read this bulletin, we'll likely know the point where it has hit and any damage it may do, too. It's genuinely an overwhelming and powerful experience, let me tell you, to sit and watch a hurricane in progress, as it blows across your own roof and front yard! Most of my Florida readers will know what I mean.

Once again, I'm going to issue a plea for two older editions of the Piratan, for which I would kill. They are 1941 (a pint of blood for this one) and 1965. I also find myself now in need of 1978 and 1980. I once had both of these, but it's a long and boring story as to why I no longer do. Anyway, I repeat, if anyone is able to get any of these, I will reimburse you. Also, do keep your eyes open for ANY edition of the Piratan, which you might find ANYwhere! I'll take them ALL! Sometimes, they're found at yard and garage sales (which breaks my heart), in old bookstores, estate sales, you get the idea. If you see a Piratan, get it. I'll pay you the cost of the book and the postage.

Attention, 1965's STEVEN F. SHADE! Among the for-sale, WC memorabilia, would there happen to be a red Pirate flag which bears the skull and cross -bones, with the crossed swords behind the head? I have one, already, and it hangs beneath my red and black Pirate bell, as you enter my driveway. One of the edges (doesn't matter which) needs to measure about 13". When I was in Florida, I could pick them up, all over the place, and now wish I'd gotten a few extras. But I never thought of that, at the time. Now, the one I have is getting a bit faded and shopworn, after several years in the weather. Did you ever try to find a Pirate flag (red and black) in Appalachia?
I promise you, it's not an easy thing to do! So if our school store offers that item, I'm buying a few of them, while I'm there.

On September 2, we received a notice from 1958's JAS. E. KECKLER, in which a hold on all e-mails was requested. It said a change was coming and I am assuming that means in his e-mail address, but I've yet to receive that change. If anyone is in touch with Jim, tell him to get the change to me, ASAP, as it's quite difficult to remove just one entry from a blanket send list and then restore it. I know you all know what I mean. I don't want him to miss the WC bulletins and news specials.

Also on September 1 and 2, I spoke again with our vivacious and wonderful FRANCES L. PEFFLY of 1963. She's making all her travel plans and will be spending a lot of time with best buds, SANDRA R. MINIX, SHIRLEY A. RANKIN, ANNA MAE STOKES, and many others in her 1963 class, as well as a lot of us from other classes. Fran is really pumped! I think a lot of us share her feeling.

This morning (Sept. 3), I awoke to a dandy, upbeat e-mail from BETTY L. CARROLL ,1957. It happens Betty is on the Parks and Recreation Board for the City of Moraine City. Of course, over the years, Miami Shores has become a part of the city of Moraine City. So that means Betty may be of some assistance to our 1958 alums (WM. R. HOWARD, RONALD D. "TOM" FEE, DONALD I. MCCOY) who are putting together the first-ever Miami Shores Memories gathering to be held at WENDELL WAX Memorial Park on Saturday, 1pm, October 11. So if any loose ends have been left hanging, you three guys, I'll bet Betty is the girl who can resolve this for you. Do contact her at her e-mail address: redudbet at woh dot rr dot com Thanks, Betty, and what a great piece of info! Betty and I continue our banter about life in Miami Shores and it's really been great to "talk" with you again, Betty. I'm looking forward to seeing you and Ralph again.

Of course, in the meantime, enthusiasm is running high for the MS gathering and I'm simply amazed by that. You've come up with a real winner, Tom, and I'm betting we will all have a great time. It will serve as a terrific, warm-up event for the WC crown jewel gathering of that night, the alumni dinner/dance, not to be missed. I hope everyone has sent their reservation forms and also, that those of us who can, are throwing a little extra into the kittty for our WC alumni association efforts. As I type this, we have a little more than 5 weeks until we once again convene. Where DID the year go? Amazing!

(Well, we got instantaneous responses to Betty's e-mail, from both Bill and Don. I'm sure they'll all be likely reconnected before day's end. Tom, is there anything else which needs to be done? If so, I'll bet Betty is our best avenue for resolving that. Betty was just thrilled, by the way, to hear from you again, Don, after all these years.)

Also today, I got a good report from Don McCoy on our dual-organ, transplant recipient, PHILLIP D. HOWARD, 1960. Don reports that Phil is up and gingerly walking and he does except to be with us all at Miami Shores Memories. Now, Phil, we also want very much to see you at the dinner/dance that night. I appeal to you, MARIAN KAY HUSSEY of 1967 (Phil's spouse) to see that he makes it to that event, and you, too, Kay! We're all so thrilled for you, Phil, and pray you continue to improve until you are back to 100% (or at least, as close as we can GET to 100%, at our age)!

As I become more and more settled into life in the beautiful Appalachian area, I find myself slowly redoing all the things I'd done in Florida, but doing it a bit differently now, and in a much more scenic area. Such is the case with my Notary Public commission, which I have held in Florida since April 5, 1978. In fact, it's legally in force until April 5, 2010, but I will not be using it. I'm going to apply to Tennessee to get a commission here, I believe, and when (and if) it is approved, I'll be getting my bond through none other than 1958's DONALD I. MCCOY, who now also has my homeowners and vehicle insurance (and I might add, has saved me quite a bundle on both of them)! No hassles, either, and I'm terribly pleased. I just have to tell you, if you're in the market for any kind of insurance coverage (or maybe lower rates), you really ought to contact Don. (No, he did not ask me to put ANYthing in this bulletin, nor has he ever done so. I just believe in shooting all the business we can, to our fellow alumni!)

A timely and wonderful report has come in from our 1957 class member, THERESA M. ELLIOT. This is it, Theresa! I'm promoting you to a senior reporter status. Just don't get the false notion that such a lofty status actually MEANS anything! Ha! It's just that I'll be expecting long and informative e-mails for our bulletins, on a regular basis. Since you seem to do that, anyway, I don't think your lifestyle will be too different, will it?

Theresa gave me a report on 1957's class picnic, which was held on August 8. She also reported that their class is making this an annual event. Isn't that just wonderful?!? Aside from her, it was attended by her spouse/class member, THOS. D. ELLIOT, and all the following folks and/or spouses: EUGENIA BETH BOLINGER (spouse Gary Trace) ( I just have to say here that I simply love her first and middle name together and I'll bet dollars to donuts she does not like it!), JOYCE E. CANTRELL (spouse Robt. Link), BARBARA W. CARR, MARY L. COLLINS, MARY C. GATES, SHIRLEY A. HILE, CHAS. T. "TED HOFFMAN, ARTHUR KITSON, JUDY LEE KREITZER, SARAH M. "JACKIE" MASON (spouse O. J. "Jr." Hargis), RANDALL W. PARKS, ELAH P. PETTIT, ERCELL P. PHILLIPS (spouse Betty), LAWRENCE J. RENAS, JR. (spouse Josie), PATRICIA A. SHUMARD (spouse Dale L. Gebhart--is he WC?), NEIL H. SIZER (and WC 1959 spouse/homecoming queen/cheerleader and all-around gorgeous lady, SHIRLEY R. PARKS, NANCY KAY STEELE, CAROL E. WRIGHT (spouse Bobby Bartley), and JOYCE ANN YOUNG. Can there be any doubt that a good time was had by all? Accord- ing to Theresa's final head count, twenty-one class members were in attendance, an astounding 51 years following their graduation. I'm just thrilled to hear that some of the 1957 people convened, and hope their numbers continue to increase with every passing year of this wonderful event! We thank you for the great report, Theresa.

More than a few of you might recall the study habits of 1958's WM. R. HOWARD. He has told me on a few occasions how he kept himself at the minimum grade level which would allow him to play sports and how much he hated studying. Well, I guess we will have to scratch that shortcoming. Although he has protested to the contrary, it seems Bill recently took his Private Investigator's exam, passed it with flying colors, and was done in 20 minutes rather than the allotted time of 90 minutes. So congratulations to you, Bill, and we all wish you good fortune in all your professional endeavors.

At this time, I must sadly report the passing of 1958 class member ROBERT WEBSTER HENDRICKS. I recall Bob joining our readers list relatively recently (within the past 18 months, I think) and I am terribly sorry to hear of his passing. This news came to me from Bob's classmate, DAVID L. HOWARD, who says he saw the obituary and that Bob died on July 12 and his service was held on July 16. Bob lived in Plattsburg, Missouri. His widow's name is Maggie. This would be sad, under all circumstances, but it is especially so in this case. When Bob contacted me, I clearly recall how excited he was at the prospect of attending his class' 50-year gathering in October. I know we all send condolences to Bob's family and thanks so much, Dave, for sending this.

As life goes, with each sad ending comes a new and wonderful beginning. Such is the case with 1961's JUDY M. FRANTZ. It seems that Judy's third great-grandchild was born today (September 10), a girl, named Kyley Brooke Russell, who weighed in at 7 lb. 13 oz. and was 21" long, born at 11:24 a.m. We all send you heartiest congratulations, Judy, and we hope you have many marvelous hours of fun with the newest great-grandchild. Thanks for sending us the news of the birth, Judy.

Attention, 1960 folks! A blip has come in on a class member of ours, NANCY J. KERR. As most of us recall, she married GENE A. TAYLOR, and I think he was 1957. Anyway, they live in Jackson, Ohio, and I am given to understand Nancy accompanied Gene to his 50th, last year. However, I didn't get to see her at all, and in fact, didn't even know she was there. Did you? In any case, 1957's BETTY LEE CARROLL writes that she knows Gene will want to attend the Miami Shores Memories gathering this year and is expecting the two of them to be there. Boy, that gathering is REALLY picking up steam, it seems! I think we're going to have a very wonderful turnout for it. Way to go, Tom! Who knew?

As I write, I continue to get e-mails from 1963 class member, FRANCES L. PEFFLY. Fran is trying to get her class organized for their 45th, but is having some trouble with mail being returned. Do any of you have a clue as to a current address, e-mail, or phone number on any of the following members of the 1963 class? (NORMA RAYLE, RONNIE LINK, JANICE SAMSHALL, JAMES STRADER, JERRY PARKS, CLYDE WEST, BETTY MITCHELL, JUDY WHITE, TOM CARPENTER, LINDA SHARP, MAR-LENE EADS, JANICE SMITH, SONNY SOLE, CAROL SHEER, WM. PHILLIPS, MICKI MARSH, IMOGENE WARD, WESLEY GARRISON, EDDIE BALL) Please contact Fran directly, with any info at Franhorsesvine at bellsouth dot net Thanks so much, and do hurry!!!

From 1960's JOANN K, STEMLEY came an e-mail in which she reports that she and spouse, Ron Hall, are awaiting their departure to Florida, where they'll spend the colder winter months. I'm truly thrilled for those who still enjoy Florida. I guess I'd feel that way if I'd lived in the cold climate all my life. But after my nearly-30 years in Florida, I'm quite content to be gone from there and am even anxiously anticipating my Tennessee autumn and even the terribly-mild winter here. Woops! There I go again! That was all a big mistake, it's horrible here, and I hate it! Don't come to Tennessee. You won't like it at all. There, Mike, how was that? (Of course, that was for my neighbor, MICHAEL S. WEST, who says I brag too much about Tennessee, and it's going to cause too many people to move here.)

We have an update on 1984's ANNETTE MARIE GONZALEZ, who has changed her e-mail. Thank you so much, Annette, for keeping me posted. We want to keep all of our younger alumni and even add more, as we can. So thanks again. I do hope you'll be at alumni weekend!

Let's all keep an ear to the ground for classmate, GERALD A. FULLER. His WC-honorary spouse, Becky, reports that he's recently had biopsies done on his tongue and one pre-cancerous growth was discovered as a result of that. Jerry will be monitoring and doing follow-up, of course. Becky says all is well, for now. We're all pulling for you, Jerry, and you be sure and stay right on top of that!

If you can believe this, it is now September 11 (a very dark day in our history, of course) and I've been writing on this bulletin since the day after I sent the other one, in an effort to stay current. We'll convene in just 4 more weeks, as amazing as that is. So it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that this really IS going to be the final bulletin, prior to our gathering. In view of that, I'm going to re-cap our scheduled events, so that you all have plenty of time to make your plans to join us.

October 10, Friday---the WC alumni and friends golf tourney will take place at the Mound Golf Course in Miamisburg. This event is under the guidance of 1959's GARY E. BARNES.

October 10, Friday---all WC alumni from all years will gather at the old haunt, Frisch's in Moraine City, for the 7th Annual Frisch's Frolic, the brainchild of 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST, which has evolved into a rip-roaring success, with a fabulous turnout, each and every year. (Don't forget to take care of all the servers there, please. That was especially for you, THOS. L. WOLF, JR. Ha!)

October 11, Saturday---the first-ever Miami Shores Memories gathering will take place at Wendell Wax Memorial Park in Miami Shores at 1 p.m. This was the brainchild of 1958's RONALD D. "TOM" FEE, who was given an able assist or two from his two classmates, WM. R. HOWARD and DONALD I. MCCOY. It's shaping up to be quite an event. We should all bring a covered dish or bags of ice or cartons of Pepsi/Coke or paper plates or bags of chips, buckets of chicken, cartons of potato salad, etc. These events have a way of finding their own level and it will all work out, no food assignments. I wonder if anyone (BETTY LEE CARROLL?) has a connection to get this printed in the little Moraine City news? Be there! (It's an open-to-all event.)

October 11, Saturday---and here it is! This is the crown jewel event, the one upon which this entire weekend is based!! Don't miss it. Go once, and you'll never miss it again. It's in the ballroom of the Holiday Inn which is right between I-95 and the mall in Miamisburg and begins at 6 pm. I'll see you there and don't disappoint us, please!

October 12, Sunday---many individual groups break off and go to breakfast, lunch, brunch, at the place of their choice which usually seems to be Frisch's or Perkins or Bob Evans. That final visit sustains us, as we depart for home and await the following year!

So that's it, folks! I don't want to put a damper on any of our wonderful festivities, but do take time to read the list of deceased, which will be on the back side of the alumni dinner/dance program. If it does not serve to inspire you never to delay going, "until next year," then nothing ever will. Just be there and don't put it off, ever again!

So ends another edition of the WeCaTon News Report. Please be sure to send all your news. I've got to have all of you, in order for this to continue. I now leave you all with my usual wish for glowing health, great happiness, peaceful serenity, spiritual harmony, and boundless prosperity.

Ciao!





Powered by Blogger