.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
 
WE*CA*TON NEWS REPORT: 27 SEP 2009:

Sent: Sunday, September 27, 2009 1:17:52 PM
Subject: WECATON NEWS REPORT!!!---

On the hallowed day of 09/11, I begin this newest effort. Yes, it's the day after I sent the last one, and yes, I'm still on my shaky, old PC. Ha! I swear, I'm going to get it fixed or replace it soon, okay? As I told my old friend, BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, 1958, I'm terribly intimidated at the thought of going shopping for a new one, to be quite honest. I'm rather technologically-chal-lenged, as compared to most people, and don't want to appear stupid in the effort of shopping for a new one. So I guess I'll ride it out with the old one and see how long she lasts (but should I screw up the courage to shop for a new one, I may do that, too, who knows?)

Away we go with our usual format of listing the forwarders, who are 1945's N. JEAN BROWN, DONALD R. THROCKMORTON; 1949's ROBT. E. HOFFMAN; 1954's FREDA P. FLETCHER; 1958's ROBT. W. "SMITTY" SMITH, WM. R. HOWARD; 1959's GARY E. BARNES, BETTY L. SCHRADER; 1960's LARRY M. PENDLEY, CHAS. A. "BUD" LOWMAN III, STEVEN M. KOKOT, DELORES K. "DEDE" FAHRNEY, RICHARD S. HOLT, JO ANN K. STEMLEY, EDGAR L. "EDDIE" KELLY; 1961's P. LYNN-ETTE GARRETT, SHARON K. WENDELKEN, GARY R. FRANK, JANET L. WALTERS, SALL
Y L. GILLETTE, CAROL A. MUMMA; 1962's BARBARA T. O'NEAL, RICHARD C. CALL; 19
63's FRANCES L. PEFFLY, SHIRLEY A. RANKIN; 1969's ROBT. E. THARPE, JR., JAC-QUELINE J. CLARK; and 1971's PAMELA K. SHIPLEY.

At this writing, I have no response yet on the e-mail for 1956's RICHARD L. "PETE" BECKETT
and spouse CAROL A. PFISTER. I do hope to receive that prior to the completion of this one, and will keep you updated, if I do. The last two bulletins to them have been sent back to me as rejected. (Footnote: As expected, I got a very immediate response on the correct e-mail for Pete and Carol from their classmate, RALPH D. WILSON, and many thanks for that, Ralph! I've entered it again, and I do hope it will stay, this time.)

The same thing has been happening on e-mail to 1961's THOS. L. WEIDLE, but I think I have found a way around that one, as I had Bruce for
-ward it to him, and have heard of no rejects, so perhaps I'll continue that effort, in order to keep Tommy in the loop. You all know how much I just hate losing even one of us!

Attention, EULA FAYE BAILEY: When Bruce forwarded the last bulletin to you, he did it at my request, as I'd gotten a reject on you, too, for some reason or other. However, you told me you had gotten it, so if it was transmitted twice to you, I am at fault for that, not him. I'm aware that same thing happened to several of you and it was done automatically, especially the ones which arrived at weird hours of the early a.m.

For the second time, I'm going to welcome two new readers to the list. Yes, for the second time (and it's all my fault!) Some of you may recall I welcomed RUSSELL L. "RUSTY" ELLIOTT of 1961) as well as his1962 spouse, MARY ANN DUNCAN. Well, I thought I'd added them into the alphabetical grouping list of the readers to whom I send. So when I got an e-mail from them on Sept. 11, in which they asked what they had to do to get on the list, I was quite surprised, so I went right to my groupings to check those who were included. To my amazement, I discover-ed I'd forgotten to add them into that list. Then I realized, even though I thought I recalled doing it, I was only glancing at last names, saw that of his brother, 1958's THOS. D. and his spouse, THERESA M. MOSES, and thought it was them
. So I publicly apologize to you both, Russ and Mary. I'm so sorry for my oversight! The Elliotts (Russ and Mary) were kind enough to send me photos of a gathering which took place at their house on Sept. 5. Present in the photos are 19
60's STEVEN M. KOKOT, WM. D. DUNCAN (Mary's older brother), all four of the Elliotts, a smattering of spouses, 1962's BARBARA T. O'NEAL, KATHERINE A. "KAYE" BOLINGER, and NANCY S. ARGABRIGHT. I've forwarded this to 1960s' MICHAEL S. WEST for his expert posting on our blog, so that you all can see it, too, of course. ( www.wchs.blogspot.com )

The only downside to this, which comes to my mind, is that we once again won't be seeing WM. D. DUNCAN and wife Suzanne at our WC events of October. Or will we? Bill, I heard you had moved to Texas, so I'm writing this, only due to the fact that I'm assuming if you and Suzanne were here in September, you won't be coming back in October. Then again, perhaps you WILL be there and are staying with Russ and Mary until our festivities have concluded. That's my hope!

Messages are furiously flying into my e-mail and I wish I could write they're all good news, but it's not the case. For instance, the aforementioned Eula Faye has informed me she won't be with us this year. I'm truly crushed!! She and I run around quite a bit and get in some visiting when we're there, and I'll sure miss that. Eula Faye, I do hope you'll change your mind. How terribly you will be missed!

Also reporting he will not be with us this year is 1961's JACK L. GODBY, a most beloved and popular member of his class. By the way, that happens to be a class which is literally bursting at its very seams with beloved and popular folks
, but that sure doesn't take away from the fact we are all going to very much miss you, Jack! He's assured me he WILL be there for his 50th in 2011, but that means we have wait two more years to see him! As is always the case, Jack gave me gracious and flattering compliments on the bulletins. Thank you, Jack.

Responding to the sincere invitation of 1956's RALPH D. WILSON, as regards his wish for as
many of his classmates as possible to attend the WC alumni events this year, were 1956's DOUGLAS H. HOWE and1958 spouse, BEVE
RLY ANN TYSON. Unfortunately, they will not be with us, either. But Ralph, your message was truly a great one, and I do hope it will be a success in the numbers of your classmates you get to see. (Footnote: I've just received e-mail from Ralph, in which he has informed us he is going to cancel his alumni weekend plans. He has noted that, if he attends, he'd have to make two Ohio trips in two weeks, he doesn't want to take that much time from his job, and no one in his 1956 class is saying they're going to attend. So there are a few disappointing pieces of info in THIS e-mail, I'm sorry to write.)

Those who WILL be attending, will be legion in numbers, I'm sure. Our big weekend is steadily growing and when I speak to others about it, we are all in agreement that we have a unique and unequalled bond, amongst ourselves. I really do like that, don't you? Who knows why and who cares? It's just there, that's all! Everyone works hard to keep it going, too, so that's great. Those who do not attend will be missed and we hope, in the future, they'll be sure to put WC weekend at the top of their priority lists.

Did everyone get their notice about the WC pins and did you get yours ordered? I was certainly going to order mine, but was beaten to it, by that fastest wallet in southwestern Ohio, BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, who was kind enough to order one for me, when he ordered his own. So many thanks to you, Bruce, and yes, I'll see you when I get there, so I can wear it! The pins came to our attention through the efforts of our treasurer (of the alumni, of course), GARY E. JOHNSON, of the Class of 1970. Thanks, Gary. Gary also sent me a confirmation about the receipt of my reservation form and check. So thanks for that, too, Gary!

Thanks also to my good friend and fellow Miami Shores Kid, P. LYNNETTE GARRETT, 1961, for your gracious remarks on the last bulletin. I guess I wasn't feeling so sure of myself, when I wrote that one. But Lynn was quick to reassure me that I'm not slipping and haven't, "lost my edge," as I write them. She also congratulated me on beginning my 10th year of writing them, come next month. I can't believe that! Lynn was one of my charter readers, by the way, along with EDNA L. GRAY, NANCY J. ERTEL, and JUDITH L. SAMUELS, all 1961 people. There were just the 4 of them and me, and it branched out from there and we are now more than 700 strong and I remain SO amazed by that, every time I write one of these! It's almost a miracle. So, many thanks to all 4 of you, as it was you 4 who spread the word on this and got this huge ball rolling. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined it could ever come to what it is.

Lynn and I plan to spend some quality time with each other, catch up on all the news and maybe just throw our feet up and sit on her terrific back porch at her Germantown home and listen to the birds singing. Who knows? I always have a lot of fun with Lynn, that's for sure. So I'll be seeing you soon, Lynn! (By the way, do NOT fall asleep and forget the dinner/dance this year, hear?)

Cousin JUDITH L. SAMUELS and I are now on a kick of discussing astronomically-high costs of living in Florida. I'm so glad I got out of there, "while the gittin' was good," or else I'd have very likely been one of the homeless people by now, I suspect. Ha! It truly IS just awful, now, to try to be a regular, retired (or even working, if you're lucky enough to have a job) person down there. They have more increases in everything down there now, than does any other state. They have also lost population for the past 34 months in a row, and I know WHY! But I don't have nearly so far to drive now, to get to WC, do I? I just love Tennessee, anyway, and never do I ever want to return to Florida. However, I do await the arrival of my children. They're still there and awaiting Tennessee transfers. It'll happen in time, I know. It can't be soon enough for ME!

Judy and I exchange a lot of food recipes, too. Among her favorites is her recipe for her carmel corn. She recently told me she bought a pack of Orville Reddenbacher carmel corn and, in her words, "I could teach Orville a few things about carmel corn!" Judy has always been quite an accomplished cook, in fact, and here's what she does for her carmel corn: She uses a 1/2-cup each of corn syrup, white sugar, peanut butter, and a teaspoon of vanilla, melts it all into syrup texture, and pours it over freshly-popped corn. She says it's scrumptious, and I'll bet it is. I'm going to make some soon, myself, just to try it.

Since our last bulletin, we've had a little trivia on names with 1958's RICHARD LEE JOHNSON
. It's relative to the HOHNHORST family, so we are in a fortunate position for an accurate reply, since we have 1961's NANCY L., on our list. So help us out with this one, Nancy. I vividly recall you from school, of course, and I also remember your sister, MELANIE (Class of 1956?), as she graduated with my late sister, JUDY A. RISNER, right so far or not? Or was it, in fact, Carol? So anyway, neither Richard nor I recall the other Hohnhorst siblings. Were there any? Richard says he DOES recall a Carol. I'm not sure I do, although it sounds a bit familiar. Also, were there any boys in your family? Neither of us knows that one. So hang on, Richard, we're going to get a reply soon on this one, I'm sure. If Nancy doesn't do it, I'm sure her spouse, 1959's H. JAY CARROLL, JR., will get back to us very soon. I'll report as soon as I know.

Once again, old pal and fellow Miami Shores Kid, 1958's WM R. HOWARD, has decided to chastise me for reminding him of his loss of the Big Boy bet on the telephone exchanges. So of course, here I am, reporting it once AGAIN! Did you ever watch any of those old boxing movies, Bill? If you did, you'd recall the scenes wherein, once the guy has just had his brains beaten out of him, he keeps struggling to arise, but he's SO bloody and beaten, he just can't. Yet, as he tries and tries (unsuccessfully) to struggle to his feet, people on the sidelines are screaming at him, "Stay down, Champ, stay down!" But you wrote me back AGAIN about this, so of course, I had no choice but to recap your e-mail, right? So here it is again! So Bill, in concluding this para
-graph, I would say to you, "Stay down, Champ, stay down!" I'll see you soon. But heartiest congratulations are in order for Bill, everyone. He celebrated another birthday on September 8. I hope you had a good day, Bill, and many more to come!

An absolutely wonderful report has come in from my classmate, 1960's PHILLIP L. WOLFORD. It was prompted by my transmitting the photos of his best, high school friend, WM. D. DUNCAN. By the way, Bill, have you gotten in touch with Phil yet? If not, you really SHOULD get right on that, okay? Anyway, Phil sent a great report of life after retirement and how everything's going at his New Jersey home, since his retirement.

Phil was very pleased to see recent photos of his old pal, Bill, for starters. He says he's doing lots of things around his house, but not yet able to cross off a lot of items from his, "to-do," list he's kept for years. (Haven't we all?) Phil also reports that he's doing lots of that pumping iron stuff and we can sure all use a dose of THAT. He's had to get a belt to hold up his pants, as he has lost weight.

He has also become a cook, a housekeeper, a major errand-runner and says he does all the grocery-shopping, which is his favorite thing. His wife, Cheryl, still works full-time teaching, so that's why he's taken over all the running of the house and writes that grocery-shopping is his very favorite. Well, watch out, Cheryl! How many of us would like to have one of THOSE? Ha! We sure hope to see you in October, Phil. Will you and Cheryl be with us? I'm sure hoping so, but do remember, for 2010, NO EXCUSE will be acceptable! Thanks for the great update and give our best to Cheryl.

The mystery is cleared up, as to who originally sent me the names of BARRY P. BARNES and TIMOTHY A. LUCAS. It was none other than 19
61's SANDRA S. MAYO. She also wrote a great e-mail, in which she reminded me of the fact that Tim and Barry are both Miami Shores Kids, too. I remember that now, Sande! But I didn't, until you wrote. Thanks for that.

The wildly-popular and ever-gorgeous CHRIS L. CLEARY, 1961, wrote a bit more for us on her upcoming nuptials, teling me the ceremony will occur in a picturesque garden area of the NCR County Club. She also writes there'll be a family dinner immediately following the wedding. Chris has are SO many well-wishers among us! We all want everything good for you and your newly-found happiness, Chris!

Okay, it's now September 21, and autumn will begin tomorrow. For those of you who may not know this, you can believe me when I tell you the Appalachian area is simply stunning in the fall, especially over here in his northeastern part. I'll also go so far as to write that New England has NOTHING on this part of the country, when it comes to fall leaves, believe me! (Oh my! I've done it again! I can just hear you, MICHAEL S. WEST, telling to shut up about the panoramic grandeur of East Tennessee.)

This past Saturday, I spoke at length with 1960 class president, LONNIE M. THACKER, and his lovely bride of 1960, also, LINDA J. SNELL. I can report they're both doing fine. Lonnie and I tend to talk too long, and get too detailed, don't we, Lonnie? But I guess that's okay, too. In any case, I have much to report from the Thackers corner of the world.

Let me begin with reporting they've made a very significant contribution to the old news bulletin fund. I went to the mailbox on Saturday and in it was a huge envelope from them, with an 8-page (!) HANDWRITTEN, letter from them, written by Lonnie. In it, he offered me much flattering and lengthy praise for doing the bulletins. That was so appreciated, Lonnie, and thank you. He's of the opinion that my bulletins elicit lots of warm and fuzzy memories. Well, I sure hope they do, in fact. They do, for me, that's for sure.

Our 50th will be in 2010, as we all know, and Lonnie wants our class to be significant in the grand scheme of our scholarship fund. I think that's an admirable undertaking, too. He also indicated he has sought counsel on this matter from a class member who's closely affiliated with it, THOS. L. WOLF, JR. So how about it, Tom? Is it okay for us to impose upon you and ask you to handle the reins on this? There will be more later, of course.

Linda continues to do her daily gardening for 3- 4 hours, Lonnie's nearly-88-year-old mom is in a nearby assisted living facility and they see her almost daily, and Lonnie is coping with a few health problems right now, like so many of us. On the downside, they won't be joining us this year, but on the upside, Lonnie says they'll be with us next year, even if he has to use a gurney to do it! Well, we hope that won't be the case, Lonnie and Linda, and we do look forward to a long and wonderful visit, come 2010!

There was some conjecture regarding the golf tourney, annually always run by 1959's GARY E. BARNES, but that has all been resolved now, and will continue as originally planned. This is being included simply as general information, in order to make sure everyone is aware. So do be there, as scheduled!

Sadly, I received an e-mail from 1956's RALPH D. WILSON, in which he indicated he's terribly disappointed in the response to his message from his classmates; so much so, he writes he may even cancel, himself! Ralph, we sure hope you won't do that! Yours is one of those faces we all hope to see at our weekend. Besides, it is for ALL class years and this is what makes it better in so many ways, from a single-year class reunion. It's given us all the opportunity to make friends and get to know people from other years at WC. So we all hope to see you there! (As I have already earlier written, Ralph's plans have changed, and he won't be with us, after all.)

Oh, my! I've done it again! You're all terribly patient with me about these things and I do so appreciate it. Okay, remember when I wrote of class years and people in the last bulletin? Well, I got a couple of them reversed. MELISSA K. "MISSY" BARNES is 1985 and her spouse, ROBT. E. ZIMMER is 1988. I got those exactly reversed, even though I had them correct on my records. Thanks to Missy's dad, 1959's GARY E. BARNES, for this correction, and apologies to Rob and Missy. By the way, Rob's mom is 1965's LINDA S. JOHNSON, the longtime com-panion of 1960's ROSS A. HODGSON.

On a more humorous note, Gary wrote that his wife, Pat, has told him his baseball hats don't fit him any longer, ever since I wrote of his, "secret admirer." Ha! Well, I guess you'll have to get a few bigger ones, Gary!

Once again, I got rejects on 1956's CAROL A. PFISTER, her spouse RONALD L. "PETE" BECKETT, and 1960's EULA FAYE BAILEY. I have current e-mail addresses for all of them and I suspect this was one of those glitches and not at all legitimate. So if any of you didn't get the last two bulletins, please do let me know, so I can send them, and you'll be current. Thanks.

A note did come from MARVIN A. COLLINS, 1961. He informed me he's back aboard and doing well. It seems his computer crashed, so that's why I got rejects a couple of times. Well, that's a feeling with which I can easily identify, Marvin. I'm thinking mine's going to do the very same thing, soon. But hey, Folks! On the plus side, I finally did buy something called a flash drive, called my old computer guru from Florida, and he talked me through the entire process of using it to load my hundreds upon hundreds of e-mail addresses. So I'm safe there (and don't throw your head in the air and laugh about how ridiculous it was for me to have to have a crash course on the use of flash drives, okay?) I'm just lucky to be able to type so fast, so I never look a gift horse in the mouth. Ha!

From 1955's NORMAN E. JACKSON, came yet another of his motorcycle stories which turn me green with envy, since I haven't been able to go at all, of late. He and his son took another motorcycle trip together, this time going to the famed, "Tail of the Dragon," which is near Mary-ville, Tennesee. I may have mentioned it in my previous bulletins, but it's a true, rider's heaven. There are 318 dips, curves, and turns in just 11 miles. It's terribly challenging, very exciting, and great fun. Yes, I've ridden it, several times, but I could sure do with another spin through there, about now! I think all their photos and his son's great stories and narratives will be on the blog soon. They were sent to Mike.

Norm also noted that TIMOTHY A. LUCAS is yet another of his cousins. It seems, every time I put a new name in the bulletins, if it's not a cousin of yours, Norm, then it's sure to be a cousin of 195 4's FREDA P. FLETCHER. Between the two of you, you're related to almost the whole school!

It is now Sept. 23, and excitement is in the air! I keep getting all these e-mails from people who just can't wait for our weekend to begin. As for me, I can scarcely believe I'm leaving in just two weeks, and am literally praying I get this done in time, before I do. Just yesterday, I got the best surprise, ever! I logged onto my old PC and it gleaned an e-mail to me from 1959's BETTY L. SCHRADER!! I was just thrilled. Of course, I have known Betty for just about my entire life and have asked several people about her and if they know where she is.

Well, folks, I know where she is, now! It's Atoka, Tennessee, ironically. But that's the entire width of the state away from ME. She's just north of Memphis, while I'm sitting right on the border of where Tennessee, Kentucky, and Virginia all sort of come together, almost. I've sent a reply, we've added her to our burgeoning reader list, and she plans to be at her 50th anniversary gig for the Class of 1959. She's also coming to the Second Annual Miami Shores Memories Picnic. So welcome aboard, Betty, and I just can't wait to see you again. Like so many of us, Betty was also a longtime member of the old, Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church under Pastor Chas. L. Mullen. So we go WAY back!

This brings me right up to the latest e-mail from 1957's BETTY LEE CARROLL, who has proven to be the linchpin in connections with Moraine City, in planning the MS picnic. Betty wrote and asked me to be SURE to let you all know we do have the big building this year, at Wendell Wax Memorial Park in MS. It's the Payne Recreation Center, so don't forget, okay? Thanks, Betty, for the reminder. I'm sure we'll all turn out in force on Oct. 10 at 1 p.m. In Betty's words, "It's VERY casual!" I can attest to that. Also, EVERYONE is welcome! This is an open event, so DON'T think you can't attend, if you didn't live there in our school years. We'll see you there! (By the way, there WILL be a registry book for all of us to sign. An inquiry about that very thing was made by 1960's KEITH H. CLENDENON.)

Are you there, 1958's JAS. E. RICHARDSON?
I, along with many others, are wondering how you are doing, after your kidney operation. I'll get a rise out of your spouse and classmate, K. JUNE CRUTCHFIELD, I hope. In any case, we look forward to seeing you both at all the alumni functions. You know we wish you the very best!

Here's some more great news! From California
, 1961's NANCY L. HOHNHORST and spouse, 1959's H. JAY CARROLL, JR., will be coming back for the festivities. It's Jay's 50th, after all! Also planning on being with us for a few things is 1955's football hero, JERRY L. DAVIS, and wife, Ann, I hear. All the travel plans are in place for 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST and wife, Sally, from their mountainside Swiss chalet home in Gatlinburg, Tennessee.

Naturally, we'll also be seeing 1958's WM. R. HOWARD, DONALD I. MCCOY, and founder RONALD D. "TOM" FEE, at the MS picnic and I'd bet dollars to donuts, 1960's GERALD A. FULLER (who never misses anything WC) is going to be there with WC-honorary spouse, Rebecca A., as will be 1958's BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, who also never misses.

However, let's all get together and try to urge our 1960 classmate, LINDA LEE SHANK, to be at SOMEthing, that weekend! Now, Linda lives in the area, but is trying to tell me she can't make any of the functions. C'mon, Linda! Get down to Ron's on Thursday eve, or the MS picnic on Saturday afternoon, or best of all, get to the big one; i.e., the alumni dinner/dance. You've just GOT to make SOMEthing, hear?

From 1963's JOHN L. "JACK" KREBS, JR., I received e-mail which indicated he had plans to attend from his Florida home, also, and then I got another which said he's being plagued with a few health problems. Well, Jack, we'd all just love to see you, so see what you can do, so we can do that, will you? We're looking forward to seeing you, if at all possible, okay?

Delightful messages have arrived from 1945's NORMA JEAN BROWN and spouse DONALD R. THROCKMORTON. I do hope we're going to be able to see you both at SOMEthing, Jean and Don. There are SO many things to attend for WC, between Thursday and Sunday, surely you will be at a few of them, we hope. I thank you for your kind words about the bulletins and am simply thrilled you are enjoying them so very much. I hope to be able to do this, until I fall over dead on the keyboard! (I also hope that won't happen very soon, by the way.)

It is now Sept. 24, and it was a pretty pleasant day. I had a wonderful call from my lifelong pal, fellow classmate, and fellow Miami Shores Kid, PHILLIP D. HOWARD. Phil has long been wed to 1967's MARIAN KAY HUSSEY, as most of us already know. Anyway, we had a long and windy convervsation about all the wonderful and fun things relative to our long-ago, childhood years in MS, and about our school days at WC. Phil's health is doing pretty well, the obvious not -withstanding, and he expects to be joining us at an event or two, during our weekend. Marian had been kind enough to write me a long and newsy e-mail about Phil's health, so it was so good to talk to you again, Phil! We all look so forward to seeing you again!

Phil will be getting a visit from 1958's DONALD I. MCCOY, over the weekend. Don regularly visits with Phil and Kay, and he's now talking of teaching Kay to play the dulcimer. Let me know how that goes, you two!

Let's pull for a speedy fix on a pesky, right knee
, for LILY K. "KITTY" BURDETTE,1961. We all want to see you, Kitty, and you've just GOT to do SOMEthing to make sure we DO! Kitty has had some recurring problems with that knee, which keeps going out on her, and she says she'll try to be with us. I've offered a wheelchair, walker, or even my own car. C'mon, Kitty, we need all the gorgeous faces we can GET, and yours is definitely one of the very best! PLEASE do be sure you join us, won't you? We also want your sister, 1959's BETTY C, BURDETTE, and her spouse, RALPH E. "BUTCH" HARVILLE, and her best friend, 1959's SHARON L. KOOGLER. Between all those people, and all of us, we'll just carry you around, okay?

Finally catching P. LYNNETTE GARRETT, 19
61, at home, we also had a long and windy chat and we're both so looking forward to our many events. Sadly, Lynn advised me of the recent death of her mother, who was a resident in a nursing home in Jacksonville, Florida. She died on Sept. 17. So we all offer condolences for your loss, Lynn. We also planned to have some quality time together, during my visit.

Let's take a moment, once again, to thank our alumni board, which is led by 1970's THOS. A. DORSEY, who is president. They all work long and hard, I know that. I don't know the names of each and every one of them, but I do recall the names of GARY E. JOHNSON, ANNA MAE STOKES, and DEBBIE SPENCER (?). I'm not sure of Debbie's school name, and I apologize for anyone I may have omitted. By the way, I've gotten a reject on Anna Mae's e-mail. Do any of you have an update or a correction for me?

How I do wish I had more hours in the days I will spend, while there! There are SO many things I want to do, SO many places I want to go, and SO many people I want to see. But I just don't have the time. So it's very important to me that we all attend everything. That way, we get to see more people. As much as I'd love to go to that Masonic breakfast on Oct. 10, it's not going to be possible. LINDA S. JOHNSON, 1965, and I have had repeated exchanges, and try as I may, I just can't seem to find a hole in that very tight schedule. But I'm from generations of Masons and Eastern Star, so this is a sticking point for me. But thanks, Linda, I so appreciate your
hospitatlity. By the way, Linda writes there is a banner across WC's Main St., to promote the alumni events. That's great!

Everyone 's been saving their travel stories for the alumni weekend, I guess. Well, everyone but 1971's PAMELA K. SHIPLEY. I'm sure Pam will be with us, of course, but just this month, she also visited Washington, D.C., in pursuit of her political activities and taking in the sights. She has returned home now, safely and soundly. We will all see you next month, Pam!

What a gracious and kind e-mail I got from that 1961 glamour girl, JANET L. WALTERS. Many thanks to you, Janet, for your wonderful words and endless stream of compliments. Janet and I hope to connect for at least a few minutes of one-on-one conversation, but things get VERY hectic on our weekend, because we're all trying SO hard to cram in SO much! But we're sure going to try, Janet. As you all know, when I say, "glamour girl," and, "1961," in the same text, I have to designate just who it is. Those 1961 girls seem to be LOADED with extra charm and good looks!

Sadly, we will not be joined by 1952's RONALD L. BROWN and his gorgeous 1956 spouse, ANN C. WEIDLE. Ann reports that Ron's got continuing problems with dimentia, and says it makes it very tough for them to travel and stay for any length of time in one place. We will all keep you and Ron in our good thoughts and prayers, Ann, and we hope to see you both at anytime you can make it to join us!

Quite by accident, I had an exchange with the daughter of 1956's JAS. L. FORSYTH, who's now on our list. Welcome aboard, Jim! I do remember you. I think your daughter's name is Julie, and boy, does she like YOU! She's also fond of her uncle, 1961's R. MICHAEL FOR- SYTH and, like me, she's trying to get Mike to get a PC, so he can rejoin us. Julie told us to put you in under your e-mail address, Jim, so that's what we've done. If, for any reason, you're not okay with that, just let me know.

Hmmmm, I wonder if there's a golf chat in the offing for 1960's DAVID A. BLAIR and his long- time pal, THOS. D. YOUNG, 1960's VP? I got a request from Dave for Tom's e-mail address and it's getting close to the annual WC tourney, so I hope you two were able to connect. I hope to see you both soon!

From 1963's SHIRLEY A. RANKIN, came an e-mail about her departure for Florida on Sept. 12 and I'm quite sure they've long since arrived. In her message, she wrote of how her thyroid is now under control after a visit to Vanderbilt. We are all happy about that, Shirley! She and Terry were planning a scenic, sight-seeing trip as they passed through Savannah. How did that go and did you like it, Shirley? I love that town! They'll be gone 6 months, Terry will be working at Sea World, and they'll be in their RV. I trust you're coming up to Ohio, during this period, though. Right, Shirley?

Okay, we're now into Sept. 25, and it's a scant 12 days until I leave for Ohio. Unreal! But in my morning e-mail, I've gotten a sad post from our official statistician on the passing of two more of our alumni, I'm sorry to report. (Of course, the official person to whom I refer is STEVEN F. SHADE, 1965).

NATALIE A. BEASLEY, 1981, died on Sept. 18 and I've got no indication of the cause of death. He says it was e-mailed to him from another source and, in view of that, perhaps some of you may be aware of what it was. Condolences go out to the family and friends of Natalie.

From the 1975 class, SUSAN B. TYSSELING died on Sept. 23. Susan was also young, at just 52, lived in Miamisburg, and worked within the school system of the City of Franklin. Naturally, we all send condolences to Susan's family and friends, too. Thank you, Steve, for reporting these to us. As I'm continually writing, these are so unpleasant, and I've thought of excluding this part of my bulletins. However, I've repeatedly found that our people DO want to know about these, especially those who may be living out of the home area (and that includes many).

Riding right along on the coattails of this topic, I received a couple of wonderful reminiscenses about BERNARD H. KOKENGE, who recently died, at the ripe, old age of 91. I know we all surely have fond and wonderful memories of Mr. K. He was, after all, an iconic figure in the WC school days of so many hundreds of us. So it's unusual for me to do this, but Mr. K. was surely an unusual man, right up there with the likes of the late, great WOODROW W. "WOODY" BOW
-MAN. So let's dedicate a few paragraphs to his memory and let's all remember our many, many wonderful visits to his locally-famous Knot Hole Restaurant, shall we?

One especially-nice remembrance came from 1963's SANDRA K. MINIX. Sandy wrote of her working at the Knot Hole, while she was in high school. So many WC folks did! She wrote of the incredible 72-year marriage of Bernard and Grace Kokenge (who survived him), and how we must all offer support and prayers for her.

She also wrote of hurried lunches and rushing to the next class and being tardy. Of all the things people wrote about the Knot Hole and about the Kokenges, there are several topics which all continue to surface. What are they? Well, the food, of course! Like so many, Sandy wrote of the famous butterscotch meringue pie. I recall that, and I also recall the blueberry pies. Their chili was great and those burgers were terrific! I vividly recall the burgers were a quarter and a cheeseburger was thirty cents. I have a recipe for that butterscotch pie, which I do occasionally bake, and I'm told it's just like hers. I know that's a big lie, but oh, how I do love hearing it!

We all do hope to see Sandy and her spouse of 1960, DAVID G. OTT. Sandy says things will depend upon the health of her aging mother, but I know those traveling Otts, and I suspect we're going to see them!

Also submitting a wonderful tribute to the late Mr. K. was 1960's THOS. L. WOLF, JR. Like all of us, Tom remembers the restaurant, but also recalled a number of philanthropic, political, and community efforts of Mr. K. He helped with all the school efforts, and dozens of other things which were relevant to WC, too. So in short, we lost yet another iconic WC institution when Mr. K. died. He's another one who will never, ever be forgotten by any of, "the Knot Hole kids." (By the way, Tom, if you still have that e-mail, please resend it. There was other text in there, which I wanted to re-cap. Somehow, I lost it, before I was able to do that. I'd love to blame my PC, but it's just as likely it was MY fault!)

So here we are again, folks! I've run though all the WC e-mails, AGAIN! It's terribly close now, to the time when we'll all be seeing each other again. Dare I even say there will not be another bulletin before then? Haven't I already written it, about 2-3 times? Ha! I'm SUCH a liar! In any case, it just may be true, this time.

There are several of us from whom I have not heard so much as a peep, in quite a spell. That wouldn't draw my attention so much, normally, but it's because I usually DO hear from you, that I'm so curious about the silence. Where are you, JUDITH ANN SLIFE? How about you, NANCY E. "COOKIE" BOWIE? You two both had e-mail going pretty well, for a while there. Now, I don't hear a thing! PAUL R. BEARDSLEY, are you out there? You're suddenly silent. We are SURELY going to see you and your spouse, SANDRA E. BROCK, at the VERY least at the MS picnic, right? RICHARD C. CALL, 1962, (and Jean), of course, the trip won't be the same
, if I don't see YOU! Word on the street is that 1962's RICHARD G. DENNY and LIELA K. GEORGE will definitely be at the MS picnic. Well, I sure do hope so! By the way, before I end this, I will once again stress that the MS picnic is open to ALL WC people and their guests---ALL!!! I've received several e-mails which indicate people wish to attend, but didn't live there in school. WE DON'T CARE, JUST BE THERE!! I promise we'll treat you as if you ARE one of us, especially since you really ARE! In addition to that, you'll have yourself a circus and it's a great preamble to the main event of the weekend, the dinner/dance. I guess what I'm trying to say is, "Don't miss it!"

Although I wrote something similar to this, in an earlier paragraph, it bears repeating. So while
we're on this topic, I would again remind all of us that the MS event will be held this year in the big building, Payne Recreation Center, so do keep that in mind. As I was reminded by 1957's BETTY LEE CARROLL (who secured the place for us), there are lots of electrical outlets for the slow cookers, warming trays, coffee urns, etc. I am telling all of us, again, because I think Betty is getting the impression that some people are thinking it will again be held outdoors, but that's not the case, this year. So spread the word!

Okay, it's now Sept. 27, folks! I've organized, catalogued, rewritten, translated, conveyed, and announced every single e-mail I've received in the days since our last bulletin. Due to the date, I think I just MAY be safe in saying this WILL be the final bulletin before our upcoming, alumni weekend. (But you know me, and anything can happen, right?) Get on that internet at website
( www.wchsalumni.org ), click on events, and do your own dowloading of a resevervation form, if you haven't sent it yet. It has to be there by Oct. 1, so don't delay. Get your name on that mailing list, too! If you're not receiving your form, it's not the fault of the alumni association. It's YOURS! So take care of that, right away.

Well, my heart is in my throat again, as I prepare to launch the sending process. This old PC has actually become a source of excitement in my mundane life. Ha! So wish my luck and before I go, I leave you all, as always, with my sincerest wish for glowing health, great happiness, peace -ful serenity, spiritual harmony, and boundless prosperity.

Ciao! Bonnie




Powered by Blogger