.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Sunday, March 28, 2010
 
28 MARCH 2010, SUNDAY:

I have fallen behind with posts of Bonnies newsletters. Hopefully I will catch up this week!

On December 20, 2009, Bonnie wrote:

---Yep, it's another one! No, you're not going to be reading it before alumni weekend, but I've got a start on it, at least. It is mid-afternoon of Wednesday, Sept. 30. I'll leave here on Oct. 7, I think, perhaps the 6th. In any case, even now, we have much news, and I need to get a jump on this one, because it's likely to be 15 pages or more.

So let's list our forwarders, as always 1945's NORMA JEAN BROWN, DONALD R.THROCK
-MORTON; 1949's ROBT. E. HOFFMAN; 1954's WM. L. MCNABB, FREDA P. FLETCHER; 1955's NORMAN E. JACKSON; 1956's ANITA R. MASON, RALPH D. WILSON; 1957's THOS. D. ELLIOTT, BETTY L. CARROLL, THERESA M. MOSES, RALPH H. WARNER, NEIL H. SIZER, LAWRENCE J. RENAS, JR., JO CAROLYN BROWN, ERCELL P. PHILLIPS; 1958's ROB
T. W. "SMITTY" SMITH, BILLY K. CARMACK, WM. R. HOWARD, RONALD D. "TOM" FEE, BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, BRUCE K. COPSEY; 1959's BETSY R. MURPHY, SHIRLEY R. PA
RKS, ROBT. H. FULLER, W. BAILEY HAWKINS, GARY E. BARNES; 1960's C. SUE MCCLO
UD, T. BARRY RUSSELLO, STEVEN M. KOKOT, LINDA L. SHANK, LARRY M. PENDLEY, DAVID G. OTT, DELORES K. "DEDE" FAHRNEY, CHAS. A. "BUD" LOWMAN III, JO ANN K. STEMLEY, RICHARD S. HOLT, ROSS A. HODGSON, EDGAR L. "EDDIE" KELLY, EUL
A FAYE BAILEY, DANNY L .WALTERS, GERALD A. FULLER; 1961's CAROLE J. LEWIS, CA
ROL A. MUMMA, BARBARA J. TURNINGTON, GARY R. FRANK, SANDRA S. MAYO, SHAR
ON K. WENDELKEN, CONNIE K. STREETE, SALLY L. GILLETTE, MARVIN A. COLLINS, JANET L. WALTERS, P. LYNNETTE GARRETT, CONNIE M. MARCUM, THOS. L. WEIDLE; 1962's BARBARA T. O'NEAL, JACKQUELYN S. HAWKINS; RICHARD C. CALL, J. MICHAEL HARRIS; 1963's SHIRLEY A. RANKIN, FRANCES L. PEFFLY,, CAROLYN J. COOK, SANDR
A K. MINIX; 1964's JOHN A. COMBS; 1965 's LINDA S. JOHNSON; 1966's JOHN E. MCCLE
LLAN; 1969's JACQUELINE J. CLARK, JOHN Q. KEMP, ROBT. E. THARPE; 1970's THOS. A
. DORSEY, GARY E. JOHNSON; 1971's PAMELA K. SHIPLEY; 1981's D. BRIAN BRODBE
CK; 1986's AMY L. HAWKINS.


Problems persist with successful e-mail delivery to THOS. L. WEIDLE, 1961, but I'm trying to get past the hurdles by having his things forwarded by someone else, usually 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST or 1958's BRUCE E. CHENOWETH. I think he's probably getting them, anyway, so I won't worry too much about that one. I suspect it may now be resolved, since he's sent me an e-mail directly, as evidenced by my list, and I've responded, in kind. So I may now be on, "the okay list."

Among those who passed away is 1966 class member, NANCY ELLEN TULLIS. She died on Sept. 28, and I don't have a cause of death, I'm sorry to say. But she was only 61 years old! It was submitted to me by her classmate, JOHN E. MCCLELLAN, so thank you, John. He sent the obituary notice link, but it listed no cause of death either. We send our condolences to her family and friends, of course.

Okay, let me get to my screw-ups in the last bulletin! I extend apologies to 1956 husband and wife, RONALD LEE "PETE" BECKETT and CAROL A. PFISTER. It seems I referred to Pete as Richard. RICHARD BECKETT is the late brother of Pete. I hope I didn't confuse any of you with that one.

But that wasn't all I did. Somehow, and before I could catch my own error, I released that last one with erroneous info on another husband and wife. I named 1958's BEVERLY ANN TYSON as the wife of 1956's DOUGLAS H. HOWE. I knew better than that. I know full well that she is married to her classmate, 1958's DELMAN D. HOWE. Doug's wife isn't a WC girl. Apologies to all and I hope this clarifies that one.

For reasons I can't quite fathom, I keep getting e-mails from people who want to know if they'll need invitations to attend various of our events. I haven't even the slightest CLUE how anyone EVER came up with THAT one. In all my years of doing these bulletins, I've never once heard of one event, relative to our alumni weekend, for which any invitation has EVER been required! So I want to really stress that point. ALL of our WC people, and their guests, are welcome at ALL events. From 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST came several queries about this very thing. It occurred to me, if HE could think that, perhaps others are thinking that, too. So no, there's no such thing as an invitation. If you ever attended WC, then that IS your invitation, okay? So let's leave no further doubt on that issue.

You've done it again, NANCY J. ERTEL, 1961! I assume most of us will recall the dazzling brain power of this particular alumnus. Let me assure you all, it hasn't faded one bit, over the years! I appreciate your assumption, Nancy, that I can grasp all that, "technological lingo," which you're capable of correctly using. But I promise you, I can't!! Ha! As all of you know, when I have big problems with PC stuff, and I need to ask one of us a technical question, it's always either Nancy or 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST or maybe his pal, who lives in nearby Sevierville, 1958's NICHOL-AS P. WOLARY. But ME? Forget it! However, I do appreciate the vote of confidence, Nancy!

On Sept. 28, I received a worried call from the widow of 1960's RONALD P. CRAIG, Martha E. Craig. Martha is very concerned for the health of our classmate, CHAS. A. HIGH, JR. So am I, for that matter. Charlie was recently hospitalized on what was apparently an emergency basis. I assume it was the ill effects of that bungled visit to the doctor, which occurred last June, causing him numerous problems. I'm going to call his brother, Ed. Martha gave me the brother's cell phone and home numbers. So I'll keep you all posted, as I learn more. Charlie has had a truly tough time of it, in recent years.

The news isn't nearly so bad, though, for 1958's JAS. E. RICHARDSON. Spouse and classmate
, K. JUNE CRUTCHFIELD, reports that Jim, "is doing GREAT!" Wow, that's wonderful to hear, June, and thanks SO much for letting us know. A lot of us had wondered about that. It's now Oct. 2, and I believe Jim' surgery was June 17. By the time we read this, I will hopefully have seen both Jim and June, and will have been able to personally extend my good wishes.

It is now safe to say, I believe, that DONALD I. MCCOY, 1958, has finally resolved all health issues resulting from his April surgery for his gall bladder, and has had no repercussions. He is back up to full speed and feeling great. He also reported to us that the plans for the Second Annual Miami Shores Memories Picnic have come along wonderfully. But with the people who are running it, what else could we expect? It's not only Don, but also classmates WM. R. HOWARD, founder RONALD D. "TOM" FEE, and 1957's BETTY LEE CARROLL, who sure seems to be the original, "git 'r' dun," girl! In addition to all of them, though, there was the bonus of the aforementioned Richardsons, who also attended the last meeting for this event. So we are all in good hands, and thanks to you all.
Special thanks to you, Betty, for all those great compliments you keep throwing my way. They are so appreciated!

One person who's very excited about the picnic is 1969's JACQUELINE J. CLARK, who plans to be there, "with bells on." She has sent a few e-mails and writes of telling numerous others of it, also. She says she knows many who will be in attendance. Well, it sure was a fun event last year, Jackie, and I'm sure it's going to be even moreso, this year. So we'll see you there!

Fond memories continue to come from those who were fond of the late, great BERNARD H. KOKENGE, proprietor of the WC-famous Knot Hole Restaurant. An especially-nice tribute to him, came in from 1961's DALLAS K. MATHIS, who also remembered him with great respect and affection, as do so many of us. He sent me a copy of an article about him, which I read from start to finish. Yes, Mr. K. was quite a guy and surely a dedicated WC citizen, as well as being a public servant, a devoted husband, model dad, and successful businessman. I hope the city of WC will do something fitting to commemorate his contributions to his hometown. I also hope they will eventually do something like that for WOODROW W. "WOODY" BOWMAN. They were both SO significant in the evolution of the entire area.

Our own movie guy and media mogul, 1964's TERRY L. WILSON, continues his considerable efforts in the radio/film/tv industry. Terry has just recently returned from an extensive trip to Monaco, where he did some filming. While there, he also spent time sightseeing in that dripping-in-big-bucks, Monaco. He says the jet lag is grueling! Yes, I'd LOVE to have that DVD, Terry. Please send to 305 McTeer Drive, Kingsport, Tenn. 37663-2012, and thank you.

Terry continues his world travels in February with a trip to Abu Dhabi to cover the yacht show there. Disappointingly, Terry reported he would not be at our big weekend this year. He has a big media commitments, which preclude us, I'm sorry to say, which includes doing work in China and who knows where else? If you'd like to see some of his work, visit ( www.wealthtv.com ) and see what cable providers show them. We sure do hope for next year, Terry!

Unfortunately, a few others have written to say they will not be with us this year, too. Among the unfortunate, in that regard, are 1961's JACK L. GODBY, whom I will personally miss very sorely. I've always been terribly fond of you, Jack, as you know, and it won't be the same without you.

Also among the sorel-missed will be 1958's NICHOLAS P. WOLARY. Nick is having a few health problems, he writes, and will therefore be unable to join us. He's also trying to assist his 20-year-old granddaughter with some education issues, and wants to be available for that. We look forward to next year, Nick!

We also will not have 1945's N. JEAN BROWN nor spouse, DONALD R. THROCKMORTON. I had very much wanted to meet both of them, but I guess I'll to wait. I hope you change your mind and attend anyway, though.

Will we, or will we not, have 1960's PHILLIP H. WOLFORD? Well, Phil, I guess you're a coin toss, at this writing. Phil has commitments, but if there's any chance he's going to see his old pal, WM. D. DUNCAN, then anything is likely to happen. Is that right, Phil? So let's all keep our fingers crossed that this pair of high school best friends, do manage to get reconnected. In any case, Phil has faithfully promised he will be with us on the 50th in 2010. I can even imagine an acceptable excuse for ANY of us to miss that one, though! Death, perhaps, but that surely would have to be about the only one.

Are you there, RICHARD LEE JOHNSON, 1958? We got our reply on the HOHNHORST family tree for you. There IS one brother, yes, and he is the eldest. JESS HOHNHORST is his name and he's in N. Charleston, S.C. There's CAROL ANN HOHNHORST, 1956, who was in my late sister's (JUDY ANN RISNER) class and there is NANCY L. HOHNHORST, 1961, who's the wife
of 1959's H. JAY CARROLL, JR. The third and final daughter is MELANIE HOHNHORST, who is in Lebanon. So there's your answer, Richard.
This information is as first-hand as it can get, having come from both Jay in California and from Carol in Hudson, Fl. So we now know. Thanks, Jay, and thanks, Carol, for your prompt replies.

Carol also wrote of her first husband, who was a 1956 classmate, NORMAN A GARNER (Sr., as he later became). I remember him, vividly, but I didn't know he had died in 1965. I'm sure a lot of you already knew that, though. Thanks, also, for your lovely compliments, Carol. I recall my sister being very fond of you and speaking of what a nice person you are.

It's looking as though cousin (1961) JUDITH L. SAMUELS is going to be famous amongst the WC alumni for that great carmel corn recipe. I got several queries about it, and it sounds as if the ELLIOTT household (1958's THOS. D. and THERESA M. MOSES) may have already tried it. So how did that go, Tom and Theresa? It is one yummy-sounding recipe, eh? Give us the update!

Did anyone else have trouble with securing the WC Alumni pins? I got 2-3 e-mails in which I was told they were having trouble accessing the way to get them. I referred them to you, 1970's GARY E. JOHNSON, alumni treasurer who sent the notice. One of them came from 1957's THERESA M. MOSES. Did you finally get that info, Theresa? I'll bet any of us can get to that website ( www.wchsalumni.org ) and find out what we need to know on them, too. Gary also sent a breakdown on reservations and I hope a lot more of them have poured in by now. I know we always have a lot of drop-ins, after we have completed the dinner portion, too.

By the time we're all reading this, we'll know of the success of the invitation of 1961's JAS. E. CURTIS, for alumni to come to the VFW, after the Frisch's Frolic. I'm sure there will have been a great showing, just as there was last year.

We welcome aboard a new reader from the Class of 1959, ELIZABETH LEE THOMPSON, who goes by Beth. Beth lives in Beavercreek and, of course, this is their 50th. As you're all aware, the 1959 class, for whatever reason, has never had a very good showing. If not for two people, over the years, GARY E. BARNES and BETSY R. MURPHY, we'd never have seen one person from that class, for the most part. So we hope to see that come to a screeching halt this year and see many more of them. Thanks for writing you've enjoyed the forwarded bulletins, Beth. I can now tell you they won't be forwarded anymore. I will send them directly!

We also welcome DONALD D. RICHARDS and I think Donnie was also in the 1959 class. Is that right, Donnie? He's the older brother of GARY D. RICHARDS, my 1960 classmate. After so long of sending the bulletins, and never hearing a single word from Gary and Betty, I wondered about that. So I sat down last week and sent a card about the MS picnic. Well, as it happens, Betty didn't know what it was, when she saw, "WeCaTon News Report," and thinking it was something else entirely, she had been deleting them! Hopefully, she won't be doing that any longer and we'll see the Richards family at least at the MS picnic, and maybe a few other things, too, henceforth! So welcome aboard to you, Donnie, and happy reading.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed for successful shoulder surgery for Jas. Meadors, the spouse of 1956's REBECCA J. POLING. Becci wrote he would be doing it soon, and that was Sept. 29. I'd hoped we'd see Becci (and all the Poling girls) this year, but I guess not. Let us know how it went, Becci!

From 1963's SHIRLEY A. RANKIN came news that she expects to be with us, and she will be driving up from Orlando, where she will winter. She goes to work on Oct. 21, for Sea World. She hopes to share a ride to Ohio with you, JOHN E. "JACK" KREBS, JR. We all hope that's going to work, so we can see you both. Shirley wrote that this year is a special one for her, as regards our WC alumni events. We all look forward to you both being there, Jack and Shirley!

Okay, it is now Oct. 14. I've returned, obviously, to my dear mountain abode in Tennessee. The trip was safe and unevently, both ways, happily. That's the good news. The bad news is, we've now got to wait another year. However, nearly a whole week of it is already gone, right! It will be here again, before we know it.

Before I begin the newer, post-weekend e-mail, I'm going to go back and finish the ones I had, before I left. I want all news to be current and I also want everyone's e-mail included. So away we go, once again. First of all, I will tell you of the latest WC acquisition of 1958's BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, who wrote of me of his little golf-cart-like, electric transport, is painted red and black, of course, and has WC Pirates all over it. WAY too cute! How I'd love to have one of them to run around in my lower woods! That would have to be great fun.

Also prior to our weekend, I noticed the use of the term, "Moraine City Picnic," repeatedly, in e-mails from several of the alumni. Of course, all of them were referring to the Second Annual Miami Shores Memories Picnic. Now, I know all about Miami Shores becoming a so-called, legal part of Moraine City. That's all well and good, I guess. But the fact is, for those of us who lived there in the 1940s until that annexing occurred, make no mistake! It IS, and will ever BE, Miami Shores. That's how we remember it, that's what we call it, and that's what we will call it, forEVER! Furthermore, we were (and will be, again forever), Miami Shores Kids, not Moraine City kids. If you weren't raised there, you just might not, "get it," but if you were, as I was, then no explanation is necessary. Not only are we all WC Pirates, but we who lived in MS are all also MSKs, and proud of it. Just ask any one of us, and we'll tell you, end of story. We'll have more on that hallowed place, and the picnic, as this bulletin makes its rounds.

What a joy it was, prior to my leaving, when I got an e-mail from 1967's MARIAN KAY HUSSEY, in which she reported the wonderful news that she and her spouse, 1960's PHILLIP D. HOW- ARD, would be able to attend this year's annual dinner/dance! There was just one problem. It seems they didn't get their reservations sent in an adequate time frame and wanted to know if there was a solution. Well, isn't there always a Plan B? As it happened, 1963's FRANCES L. PEFFLY was on a business trip, had bought 4 reservations, couldn't use them, and told me if I knew someone who could, to please transfer them.

The problem was solved, thanks to the speedy action of 1970's GARY E. JOHNSON, who is our alumni treasurer. A quick e-mail to him, a note to the Howards, and the deed was done! I could hardly wait to see Phil again, and to finally meet his wife. More later on this one, too.

Prior to my departure, I had the usual sparring with 1958's WM. R. HOWARD, and we would continue our repartee about our now-infamous wager. Okay, Bill, no more on that one, finally. I will tell you all, though, that try as he might, he was unable to grab my Frisch's check. One of you out there did get it, and I don't even know who it was ! So thank you, whoEVER you are! We can lay this to rest, Bill, once and for all. So remember, "Stay down, Champ, stay down!" I will have a bit more about Bill, further in the text.

Prior to my departure, I got a lovely e-mail from 1958's NICHOLAS P. WOLARY, with a terribly gracious offer to assist me with any needs I may have, as regards computer problems. I know of Nick's considerable expertise in this field. I do appreciate your offer, Nick, and who knows? I just may take you up on it, so be careful. I hope we will see you, come next year.

Also prior to my departure, a confirming e-mail arrived from 1958's DONALD I. MCCOY, who's a helper with the MS picnic, confirming all the ducks were in a row, and all was ready. He was right, and indeed, they were. Nice going, Don, and all other MS picnic organizers (its founder, 1958's RONALD D. "TOM" FEE, WM. R. HOW- ARD (and spouse Lucy, I'm sure), and 1957's BETTY LEE CARROLL (I suspect, her spouse, too, RALPH H. WARNER, also 1957).

A quick e-mail arrived from 1963's ANNA MAE STOKES, in which she told me to feel free to use the other two unused tickets Fran had, as she had no one to use them. Well, I did. They went to 1956's ANITA RAE MASON and her 1957 sister, SARAH M. "JACKIE" MASON. But they didn't make the dinner, only the after-time.

By this time, I've arrived in Ohio, and the whirl- wind begins! I spent extensive time visiting with my brother-in-law and with my old friend, ANTIA RAE MASON. On the following day, it was the 8th and we were having the gathering at Ron's Pizza in Miamisburg. But prior to that, I did a very long visit with 1961's P. LYNNETTE GAR- RETT at her Germantown home and we always do have SUCH a great time. That's why I make it a point to go there, each time I'm in Ohio. Of course, I also visited with Lynn's husband, Frank L. Hawvermale. Lynn and I, in fact, had two very lengthy, one-on-one visits, while I was there.

Another household where I also had two lengthy visits was that of CHARLES V. CARTER, 1960, and his wife, Pam. In the past several years of visits, I've also established a very friendly and cordial and good-natured relationship with their son, Chas. E. "Chuck" Carter. On that evening, just as she'd done last year, Pam sent me off to Ron's Pizza with Charles. I couldn't convince either her or Chuck to join us. Now mind you, I don't mind that. But one of my favorite sayings, in my old age, is that of the realization of what I'm about to write; i.e., "For my entire life, every woman has always trusted me implicity with her husband, significant other, roommate, boyfriend (or whomever). You get the idea. I had always been so proud of that! But now that I'm nearing 68 years old, when I look back on that, it's really starting to tick me off!" So there!

Anyway, Charles and I were off to Ron's and an evening of great fun. When we first arrived, we saw 1959's H. JAY CARROLL, JR., seated with spouse, NANCY L. HOHNHORST, 1961. Also with them was Nancy's sister, MELANIE. Nancy reported that she's feeling great and the heart stents she has (August) are working great. We were all thrilled to hear that, of course.

Also seated were 1961's THOS. W. WELLER and his spouse, SANDRA J. CASEY. Tom is one of those guys who never seems to age and as I sat by Sandy, I couldn't help but notice her meticulously-perfect make-up and beautiful skin. What IS it about those 1961 people, anyway? I then noticed her beautiful hands and natural nails and began to feel the usual level of my long -standing inferiorty complex, when in the 1961 group. I just am not good with make-up and I've long ago given up trying, I guess. You looked wonderful, Sandy, and Tom, you looked terribly youthful. It was so fun to see you both.

There's no way I can list every person who was at Ron's, no doubt about it. But I'll do the best I can. Of course, Lynn was there and she has one of those classic, ageless, 1961 faces, too! I even asked her if she'd, "done something," she looked so much younger!

Then along came 1961's JANET L. WALTERS who, believe you me, could surely be the next Sports Illustrated swimsuit centerfold. You're just plain disgusting, Janet! You look better and better and better, with every passing year! How DO you do it? Accompanying Janet were her 3, also-movie-star gorgeous daughters (and I truly am not kidding), as well as her grandson, who was the star of the show, of course, completely adorable! This group together, improved the scenery greatly, believe me.

When I first entered, Bruce was there with long-time companion, 1971's PATTY JO WHEEL-BARGER. He said he was going somewhere for a short time and would return, so I thought I'd visit with Patty, but alas, she was gone before I could get there! So I missed her, but did get to see her, very briefly, on the following day. Patty, I missed you! I hope you and Bruce will be here soon for a visit!

Then I looked up and saw this guy who seemed SO familiar to me. I kept looking and looking. I just had this, "feeling," and I knew I didn't know him. I kept staring, though, due to that feeling. I then heard someone say, "Oh, look! There's Brian!" Behind him was his mother and his step -father, and it suddenly dawned on me that this was C. BRIAN WARLAUMONT, son of 1960's GARY L. WARLAUMONT, and 1961's SALLY L. GILLETTE. Is it any wonder he looked SO familiar to me?!?! He was the epitome of his parents, with Gary's stride, carriage, height, and build, and Sally's fair coloring and blonde hair. I recalled holding him, when he was but 2-3 days old, and hadn't seen him since infancy. It was great fun to meet Brian in adulthood, after so many years, and I did take few minutes to tell him so. We also discussed his wonderful and unique paternal grandparents, Henry and Mabel Warlaumont, whom I'd known well for so many years, and really adored. Visiting with Henry and Mabel was much like being on the set of a very successful sitcom. It was a laugh a minute!
So thanks for the memories, Brian.

Naturally, I also visited with his mom, Sally, and spouse CHAS. A. "BUD" LOWMAN III, and I got to meet his VERY pretty wife and two beautiful daughters. one of whom appears to be Sally at 17, no kidding! The resemblance was uncanny!

As I glanced around the room, I saw one after another of familiar faces; i.e., 1961's JAS. E. CURTIS, the vivacious and still-oh-so-attractive DONNA JEAN RICHARDS. Donna can still wear her cheerleading outfit, I'll swear, and her face it still gorgeous and she's a truly riveting conversationalist, with whom I could talk for hour after hour, given the chance. But the line is long to gain the favor of HER company.

We all had a great conversation with the ever-charming and suave DAVID A. BLAIR, 1960, and tried hard to remember his high school girl- friends, but couldn't. So we finally just asked him, as he sat on my lap. (Not to worry a bit, Marlene, just read the earlier paragraph). He told us of classmate NANCY E. "COOKIE" BOWIE, who was one of our more popular class members, of course, and I can't even recall the other ones. But it seems there were two more. Fill me in, will you, Dave?

Along came 1959's GARY E. BARNES with his wife, Pat, and the ever-present-at-all-things-WC, 1960's GERALD A. FULLER, with his honorary WC spouse, Rebecca A. Our WC fashion-plate couple kept the standard high, as always (1960's T. BARRY RUSELLO and 1959's BETSY R. MURPHY.) I keep waiting for one of them to look old or at least have a wrinkle in a piece of clothing, but it never happens. Across the room sat 1958's LEONARD F. KUHN, with his wife of 48 years, Pat. I've got a new e-mail address for them, by the way, and told Lennie how I wished he'd kept the old one. It was SO cute. But he said Pat gets embarrassed when she gives it to people. Ha! Imagine that! I can barely imagine the great tales Pat could tell, after 48 years with Lennie! I know everyone recalls you, Lennie, as I do, as being one of WC's most unforgettable of all the 1950s characters in our school. For the most part, Lennie you were sure in good company, I'll say that much.

If I had to guess, I'd say we had roughly 75 of us who were at Ron's. It was a great evening and yes, they did have to turn off the lights when they were ready to close. There were still a number of us sitting there, naturally. There have to be many more than I've been able to name, though, so please do send me a quick note, if you were there, so that I can include you, as I fill in things along the way. Of course, they'll all be the, "Ah-Ha moments," which we all now have (I hope). I might mention that, among the sorely missed were LARRY M. PENDLEY and EULA FAYE BAILEY and EDGAR L. "EDDIE" KELLY. I was thinking of that fun combination, as the evening passed. Eula Faye was unable to attend, due to the health of her mother and Eddie is saving himself for our 50th, next year. But Larry, what about YOU? Where WERE you? Remember, NO excuse will be accepted for next year! It will be on October 9 and we're expecting you.

The following day was Friday, the annual golf tourney day, always held at the Mound and led by 1959's GARY E. BARNES. However, it was called for rain, so we got no big golf stories for THIS year, I'm afraid. It rained a lot during our weekend, but was no less enjoyed. I'm hoping the golfers will have much better luck, come next year. I know all the players were disappointed.

For the moment, I'm going to try and finish all the e-mail, up to the time of our weekend, and then cover those events, too. Then I'm going to send this edition, and will begin another one for the follow-up e-mail and all those I've gotten since. If I don't do it this way, this bulletin is going to be about 20-25 pages long, and I can't believe any of us would want to read one which is that long. It is now Oct. 30, and I'm pressing forward.

Just before I left, I had exchanges with 1958's WM. R. HOWARD, in which we speculated on who would and wouldn't appear for the Class of 1959. I honestly don't remember all the class members who were there, but I would surely welcome a report on that, from someone in the know. I guess that would be GARY E. BARNES , who else? Yes, Gary, I know you sent me the photo of the night prior to the dinner/dance, but I would like a list of your class members who did attend the dinner/dance and put in a showing for your class.

That reminds me of a rather sensitive subject I'd like to address. I've recently become aware of a couple of conflicting events on our weekend. I know we have SO many events now, and that's just wonderful. I support and attend each and every one of them, as do many of us. So in view of that, let's all be VERY mindful of the fact that our alumni dinner/dance is THE event around which this entire weekend is built. So if you're able to attend just a single event, PLEASE do make it THAT one. Not only is it the only, truly official event we have, but it's also the only one which supports our scholarship fund.

My only hesitation in being the messenger for the other events, has ALWAYS been that of the attendees choosing the more casual events in place of the dinner/dance. PLEASE do not do that. By that same token, if you are aware of a longstanding event, casual or not, please do not plan an event during that same time frame, as we fervently wish to promote fellowship, unity, and a sense of togetherness for that weekend. Therefore, if you plan an event in a time slot of an already-established event, that serves only to divide us and cause us to make choices many of us would prefer not to make. Please, let's try to keep that in mind, as we plan our weekends for future years. Thanks to each and every one of you for your consideration in this matter.

Ah, where to begn! Or should I say, "RE-begin," which would be more accurate? It's now Dec. 8 and so much has happened. Thanksgiving has come and gone and, as you all know, I've lost my husband. He died on Nov. 21 and WC was right there by my side, every step of the way, not to my surprise. How do I go about thanking all of you? I was overwhelmed with your support! I was, in fact, simply amazed. Even as I type, I'm continuing to get memorial checks from many among you, to be sent to ETSU Medical School in his honor. I don't even know how to begin to thank you. I also received a breathtaking floral arrangement with a Christmas theme, from the class of 1956. Who orchestrated that, please? I don't even know who to thank.

So now, it's December 20, and this news is now a bit old and a bit stale. It is for that reason, I'm again apologizing to all of you and it is for that reason I'm going to go ahead and send this one
, as is, and will begin a new one immediately, and try harder to stay current. I will resume at the point where I've ended, and try hard to fill in the blanks. In many ways, this bulletin is now a reflection of my own life, starting anew, trying to fill in the blanks, and make sense of it all.

Once again, I leave all of you with my usual wish for glowing health, great happiness, peaceful serenity, spiritual harmony, and boundless prosperity. Ciao!




Powered by Blogger