.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Monday, September 26, 2011
 
WECATON NEWS REPORT:  25 SEP 2011:
---Away we go, again! What a fiasco, in sending the last one! I will use this opportunity to apologize, once again, to anyone who got that bulletin, multiple times. I'm now sure it was probably many of you. On the other hand, there may be some who didn't get it, at all. If you didn't receive the last one (which was sent on Aug. 5 and 6), let me know, and I'll send it, so you're current. My IP really fouled me up, on that last one, and let's face it, that doesn't take much for a techno-challenged person like me! Special apologies to the household of, "my first husband," 1960's LARRY M. PENDLEY, who received it 4 times! Anyway, we begin this one on Aug. 7, Sunday. It's been a bad day for me, by the way, as I've been experiencing deep, personal grief about the 30 U.S. Troops who where killed over the weekend, in the aircraft which was shot down overseas. I'm sure you're all feeling the same way. I'll try to get this one sent to all of you (hopefully successfully, and not like the mess of the last one) by, let's say, September 25, and it will be the final one, I'm sure, before our weekend of Oct. 6, 7, 8, and 9.
Let's begin with the usual list of forwarders: 1954's FREDA P. FLETCHER; 1955's CATHERINE ELAINE DILLARD; 1957's BETTY LEE CARROLL, RALPH H. WARNER, DARELL L. TOBIAS, LINDA L. MCAFEE, ERCELL P. PHILLPS; 1958's RONALD D. "TOM" FEE, WM. R. HOWARD, W. BAILEY HAWKINS, JAS. A. MOSSBARGER; 1959's GARY E. BARNES, JAY. H. CARROLL, JR., BETSY R. MURPHY; 1960's RICHARD S. HOLT, STEVEN M. KOKOT, DANIEL R. NEYMAN, C. SUE MCCLOUD, LARRY M. PENDLEY, T. BARRY RUSSELLO, WM. O. WALKER, DELORE
S K. "DEDE" FAHRNEY, EULA FAYE BAILEY, WM. E. "BUDDY" STOVER, JUDITH A. SLIFE, DEVONA S. TAYLOR, MICHAEL S. WEST, J. DAVID MAYS, FRED L. DOOLEY, JR.; 1961's SAL
LY L. GILLETTE, GARY R. FRANK, P. LYNNETTE GARRETT, SHARON K. WENDELKEN, CONNIE K. STREETE, NANCY A. HALL, JANET L. WALTERS, SHARON K. WENDELKEN, NANCY L. HOHNHORST; 1962's BARBARA T. O'NEAL, SHIRLEY A. SEXTON. RICHARD C. CALL, JACKQUELYN S. HAWKINS; 1963's SHIRLEY ANN RANKIN; 1969's ROBT. E. THARPE, JOHN Q. KEM
P; 1971's PAMELA K. SHIPLEY, JOY I. WOLFORD;
This time, I'm going to begin the usual text with a request from my old pal, 1961's JACK L. GODBY. It seems when Jack came to join us on that first year, which may have been around 2005, I'd guess, (it was right after I found him) someone took a photo of him and me together at a table at the dinner/dance. I'm thinking that may have been you, 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST. Anyway, Jack is rather heartbroken because some moisture has taken its toll on it, and he says he loves that photo and wants a replacement. So if you will be so kind, Mike, as to go through your photo archives, I'd be happy (and Jack would be thrilled) if you would get another copy of it, and I'll send it to Jack. I'm almost sure it was 2005, is that right, Jack? Thanks for anything you can do. Jack, let's hope for the best!
LEE JEAN JORDAN, 1963, "Ya' dun good!" I got back quite a nice tidbit of reminiscence from 1958's RONALD D. "TOM" FEE, in response to your mention of the old, Woody's Arctic Bar. He talked of how he and lifelong friend, 1958's WM. R. HOWARD, would walk home from sports practices and always stop at the Arctic Bar for a refreshing treat, en route. Tom wrote his favorite was the Pink Lady, remember those? Adding to his enjoyment, he wrote, was the fact it was the least expensive, at just a quarter. Can you even imagine?
The other day, I and one of my friends here were in a shopping area where there is one of those Marble Slab Creameries. They had a sign in the window, in which they advertised their, "special for the day," and it was a hot fudge sundae for only $3.99!!! I was ready to drop in my tracks. At the old Miami Shores Tradin' Post, we could've gotten eighty ---yes, 80!---huge, single-scoop cones for that amount of money, which was a fortune in the 1950s. But what a great memory on the Pink Lady, Tom. (By the way, that was cream soda mixed with the frozen custard, and one more thing; i.e., the regular price of a hot fudge sundae at this Marble Slab place is a staggering $5.95!) That was a good mention, Lee Jean, and Tom, thanks for resurrecting the Pink Lady.
Tom also woite of Donnie (Schoft, Shaaf, Schaff, Schaaf, Shaff), as did 1959's JAS. L. LINDSEY. However, we still have no class year and no real confirmation on the spelling of his surname, but I tend to lean toward the research of 1958's WM. R. HOWARD, as that's what he does for a living, and he's found several people for me, in fact. By the way, Jim and Tom, as you'd suggested, I went through every single elementary class in WC in the 1950 Piratan, but did not find him. I'm going to move up to the 1951, 1952, etc. Surely, he went to WC!
As we all know already, something strange occurred with the last bulletin's transmission, but directly thereafter, I received 2 e-mails from PHILLIP H. WOLFORD, and T. BARRY RUSSELLO, both of 1960, neither of which contained any text. I wrote you both back to see what you'd tried to send, but no responses. Phil, you'd written the name of Dick Fahrney (1958's RICHARD A. FAHRNEY) in the subject line. Were you trying to tell me something? Barry, I heard back from you, but you said no questions. I wonder how this stuff happens? .
If you think transmission was the only screw-up in the last bulletin, think again. I also misprinted the correct address for the great WC blogspot, maintained by 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST. The correct one is ( www.wchs.blogspot.com ) I somehow omitted the dot be-tween WCHS and blogspot. But it's loaded with all the bulletins and lots of photos. So if you haven't visited it lately, please do. My apologies for that error. My interest was prompted by cousin, JUDITH L. SAMUELS, who wanted to access the blog. She has also requested your wonderful Miami Shores writings, FREDA P. FLETCHER, 1954, and I'm sending them today. (Footnote: She read them, looked at them, and loved them! Who wouldn't?)
We have an illness report from 1960's RICHARD S. HOLT on our mutual classmate, WM. E. HECKER. He's been ill, it seems. Rich wrote he'd seen Bill on Aug. 5 in a service station and Bill told him he'd been hospitalized for about a month, but didn't get any further details. So we all hope you're doing all right, Bill, if you happen to get wind of this, and we still need an update on your e-mail, if you can send it. Thanks, Rich.
The 1960 luncheon for the girls was a great success. It was the brainchild of JO ANN K. STEMLEY, and she was joined on Aug. 11 by classmates, C. SUE MCCLOUD, KAREN L. KLINE, IDA JANE TREON. JOY L. TREON, DEVONA S. TAYLOR, SHIRLEY J. TUDOR, and SHARON L. BORGER. Jo told me every one of you looked smashing, girls, and my heart was with you, believe me. She also told me of, "a mystery man," who preceded your arrival, paid for everyone's lunch in advance, along with an ample tip for the server, and swore her to secrecy as to his identity. All the girls wish to thank this anonymous gentleman, who just may be reading this. (Boy, oh boy! I'll bet a bunch of you skipped dessert, too, didn't you? How much do you regret that? Ha!)
Speculation abounded about his identity. The first guess was, of course, "the fastest wallet in Ohio," my dear friend,1958's BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, with a quick follow-up to his closest competitor, WM. E. HOWARD. Upon reflection, I knew it wasn't Bruce, as the guy had issued a business check. That wouldn't be Bruce. There was heavy voting, also, for the spouse of Sharon Borger, who is Larry Johnson. But whoever you were, they all wish to extend you sincerest thanks and appreciation for such a thoughtful, generous, and considerate gesture. Darn! I missed a free lunch, and they keep telling us there's no such thing. That saying must have come from some poor soul who wasn't fortunate enough to attend WC.
Time is quickly slipping past, but doesn't it, always? I scarcely can believe our shindig weekend is but a scant 26 days away. By the way, there were problems with the mailings this year, as conveyed to me by 1965's STEVEN F. SHADE. I got my reservation from on Sept. 8, which is much later than normal. Several of you have inquired, including 1961's JACK L. GODBY and NANCY A. HALL. I'm in hopes everyone logged onto www.wchsalumni.org to download your form, after clicking on events. I did. This glitch will doubtless be corrected by next year's events.
In travel news, 1963's LEE JEAN JORDAN and spouse traveled to an island area on the N.C. coastline, last month. She said it was hot and wonderful and she rode her bicycle 16 miles a day on the beach. You're going to live forever, Lee Jean!
Reminding me of my trip not taken was 1961's NANCY J. ERTEL who always locates tantalizing photos and items each year about the Sturgis Rally & Races, which I attended for 20 consecutive Augusts. Oh, how I miss it! I got in some quality exchanges with fellow motorcycle enthusiast, 1956's DOUGLAS H. HOWE, who seems as gung-ho as me, and has also ridden for most of his life. He sent great photos, too, and I'll bet 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST has already psoted them on the blog (www.wchs.blogspot.com), so be sure to have a peek. Thanks, Doug, I love talking about the motorcycle thing, as I also often do with 1961's PAUL R. BEARD SLEY.
From our recent bride and groom, teacher MURL E. HUFFMAN and the former MARJORY L. BOGAN-BURKHARDT, comes a report to let us all know they're doing fine, both healthy, and setting the stride for their new life together. Great news, and keep it up, you two! INDY JO GRISSOM, 1970, wrote to say she was there that Sunday, and everything was lovely.
Let's back up all the way to Aug. 6. Time is running very short and I have to type faster. Confirmation has come from 1960's THOS. D. YOUNG, of his attendance at the Frisch's Frolic on Friday, Oct. 7. He will be accompanied by one of my favorite people in the world, his wife, Sandi, who is my dear friend and confidante. I can barely wait to see them again. They will head for their favorite vacation spot at the Outer Banks, on the following day, and they've been keeping a sharp eye on their beloved and aging dog, Gunner, who's having some health woes.
Many thanks to 1954's CATHERINE ELAINE BARKER for the many kind words about the bulletin. We've got another opportunity here to reconnect a couple of old friends, by the way. It seems Elaine wanted to make contact with her high school pal, CAROLYN R. GILLETTE, who now lives in Michigan. Well, we were able to provide her with contact info, as Carolyn has long been on the readers list, as has her younger sister, 1961's SALLY L. GILLETTE. So this one was a piece of cake. You make sure you contact her, Elaine. None of us is getting any younger, hear?
Hey, I got another one of those FaceBook invites from none other than 1961's CONNIE M. MARCUM. She and spouse, 1959's BILLY K. CARMACK, are on my cyberspace-lost list, so if anyone has an updated e-mail for them, or can get them through FaceBook, please send me their address, so I can restore them. I don't do FaceBook. It's all I can do to struggle through regular e-mail. I also do not like impersonal, non-specific contact, so will never be doing any of those types of sites, I'm almost sure.
Thank you both so much, 1958's WM. R. HOWARD and RONALD D. "TOM" FEE, for the compliments on the quality of writing in the bulletins. It's exactly those types of comments and that depth of appreciation which has kept me writing these things for what is now a whopping 11 years. Who knew? I appreciate it so much. For those of you who are unaware, Tom and Bill wrote back and forth about a newspaper article and then had an exchange about how much better a writing job I would've done with the same story. Now, maybe you two are just a little biased, eh?
We lost NELSON J. HOUCK in early August. As I understand it, he was the brother of the late ALVIN R. HOUCK, and both were WC teachers. This news was conveyed to me by 1959's GARY R. BARNES and 1958's BRUCE K. COPSEY. Thanks to both of you. I didn't know him, but I did know Alvin R., and had him for a class or two in high school.
Does anyone know who is TERRY BRINER? I've gotten a WC Football Alumni Club notice from him, but don't recognize the name and don't know a class year, although I'm making the assumption he's WC, of course. Are you there, Terry? If so, send me some info, so I can add you to the readers list, please, and thanks. I've also gotten a blip on that from 1988's JAS. A. MCGUIRE, a name which I do recognize and is on the readers list.
Text has been flying furiously between me and 1961's DONNA J. RICHARDS and JANET L. WALTERS. Is it any wonder? This is their 50th, and are they ever excited. I was thrilled to be able to offer a small assist with locating some info, here and there, as well as a classmate or two. What fun! They will have a gathering on Friday night at the VFW, and I know many of us will be at our usual Frisch's gathering (I know I will be there), and will likely go back and forth. On the night before, Thursday, some will be at Ron's Pizza (that's where I will be, for sure) and some will return to Marion's. I'm not a fan of Marion's, but may stop by later. I find it much too huge, cavernous, and impersonal. But because I'll have many alumni friends there, I'll likely stop there, at some point, too. So there will be lots of flitting around on both Thursday and Friday. Donna and Janet are keeping me well-posted. Janet has accommodations for any female alumni who need a place to stay and don't want to pay hotel rates. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll put you in touch with Janet.
A beautiful, young girl of the class of 2010, only 19 years old, died on 9/11, of all days. This is tragic beyond words. She left behind a young son. I was broken-hearted to read this, as I'm sure all of you are, too. Her name was K. C. RENEE NEWMAN. Heartfelt condolences go out to all her family and friends. This was conveyed to me by 1965's STEVEN F. SHADE and 1958's BRUCE K. COPSEY. It's simply unbelievable.
Recent messages from 1961's P. LYNNETTE GARRETT are saying her health issues are on the upswing and I'm thrilled by that news. I'll soon be visiting her and husband, Frank L. Hawvermale, at their Germantown home. I always enjoy my time with them, and I also love Germantown, anyway, so am very much looking forward to that.
From 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST comes reports of more remodeling on his house and he says Sally keeps him towing the mark. I'm not sure how much of this I believe, as I've come to know Sally, over the years. But hey, it sounds good, and Mike does a heck of a job in keeping up our WC blog, so I'm not going to give him too much grief. Ha! He's got some great photos of the bears on his deck and all over his property. I loved them.
Through 1961's PAUL R. BEARDSLEY, I came into contact with his classmate, FRANCES E. DAYSPRING. It seems Fran has a photo of the late TOMMY W. COMBS, which she wanted to give to his sister, DOROTHY M. COMBS. Well, we put them together, added Fran to the readers list, and only days later, I'm so sorry to report, Fran lost her only son. I was heartbroken for her, to hear such horrid news. We all extend sincere condolences to you, Fran, and wish you only peace and serenity. I'm so sorry for your tragedy, as are we all.
Another 1961 person was located, CAROL R. NIES. I was successful in locating her through her brother, with whom I graduated, DAVID R. NIES, and we have added him to our readers list. So welcome aboard, Dave, and we missed you last year at our 50th. We hope to see you on alumni weekend, and hope you're doing well and in good health. Thank you for the info on Carol. An inquiry also came from 1961's A. ROGER MORGAN, wanting details. I put him in touch with the girls who know all about it, DONNA J. RICHARDS and JANET L. WALTERS.
Another 1963 person is still on the road. SHIRLEY ANN RANKIN and spouse are continuing their extensive travels, here and there. Shirley wrote to tell me they decide where they're going, then get jobs there and work to pay for all their expenses. Many of them are seasonal, so this works. Should they decide they don't like this place or that place, then they just resign and move to the next one. I guess that would be one great way to retire!
There were more exchanges with me and KEITH H. CLENDENON. We hope to see each other this year at Frisch's and maybe the MS picnic. I need to consult with you, BETTY LEE CARROLL. Is that at the same time, 1 p.m.? That's what I'm putting here, so let me know if it's incorrect. Thanks, but I'll bet it's right.
Things are really heating up and moving fast. From 1956's RALPH H. WILSON comes news he's trying to put together his class for an outing and he's getting an able assist from my sister-in-law, also 1956, ANITA RAE MASON. They've both been talking to as many as possible. If you're a member of that class, do contact them and find out all your plans. I know they've got stuff cooking. Ralph is listed and lives in Thompson Station, Tennessee.
A marvelous and newsy e-mail arrived from 1954's Rev. JOHN E. CROY. He was kind enough to give us a great update on his family, health, and life in general, and this is exactly the kind of news which keeps this bulletin going. So if you haven't yet sent me one of those, please take a cue from John and do so. He has had such a wonderful life, it sounds. On Aug. 6, he and his wife, the former Marianna Elizabeth Freese of Long Island, celebrated their 53rd wedding anniversary. How wonderful! Over the years, they were blessed with 3 sons and 2 daughters, with the sons living near their hometown of Middletown, Rhode Island, and the daughters living in Pennsylvania and Massachusetts/Connecticut, as one has two homes. John is a retired electrical engineer, who has become an ordained minister and serves in his local church.
He and Marianna enjoy their very own island, surrounded by the sea and viewing their gardens and spending time with their seven grandchildren. John also wrote of many fond, WC memories of hunting and fishing along the banks of the river, walking to Woody's for a candy bar or ice cream cone, and yes, even of the sultry summer of working in Woody's upstairs stockroom, which had no a/c, way back then. Yes, I also recall that stockroom, John. My high school friend of many years, BEVERLY A. BOWMAN, Woody's elder daughter, and I used to go walking through there all the time. What a great report, John, and thanks. We wish you and your family many more happy, healthy years.
Speaking of Woody, I'm sure we're all by now well aware of the fact his son with wife number two, had died, at the age of just 54. That was August 11 and it came to my attention through my cousin, JUDITH L. SAMUELS, who was the first to send it to me. I had also discussed it with EULA FAYE BAILEY. That's a very young age to die, that's for sure.
From SALLY L. GILLETTE came the news she's playing some golf in the August heat of Ohio. So how did that go, Sally? She volunteers at the course and gets to see lots of alumni there, she told me. Speaking of playing sports, we can always count on hearing of such activities from 1960's DELORES K. "DEDE" FAHRNEY, who remains active in softball and other sports venues. DeDe has returned to Florida and lives in Summerfield, she told me, which is very near to The Villages, also known as, "Maysville," in these parts. That's great, DeDe, and we hope you're coming to Ohio next month. DeDe bought a foreclosure, she told me, and it's not in bad shape at all. She also reported her brother, 1958's RICHARD A. FAHRNEY, will be inducted into the Wittenberg University Hall of Honor on Oct. 21. We all offer you congratulations and lots of Pirate Pride on that one, Dick. DeDe also wrote of running into 1955's CARL R. MAYS on the golf course several times. No surprise there.
We offer sincere condolences to 1961's RICHARD L. DOLL, who lost his mother on Sept. 2. She had lived in New Port Richey, Florida, and had turned 95 this past June. We also offer condolences to Rich's twin brothers, who are 1969's RONALD and DONALD DOLL. We're very sorry for you loss.
Running back and forth between Tennessee and Florida is 1963's FRANCES L. PEFFLY, and she's thoroughly enjoying her Tennessee mountain home. I know what you mean, Fran, I know what you mean. She and I, along with daughter, Kelly, had lunch on Sept. 6 at a Fuddrucker's in Johnson City. Since then, they'd gone to Florida again and returned. Fran has another nephew who's ill and she continue to cope with the business and family health issues. We all wish you well, Fran, but you already know that.
Returning to my life, after many years, is 1962's JUDITH ANN JONES. Boy, was I ever thrilled to be back in touch with Judy. I knew her parents, all siblings, and we spent our entire youth together at the old Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church. I know only she and brother Lauren survive, of the children. But her mother is 93, still driving, and Judy reports she's in the pink. I do hope to see you, Judy, come next month.
Just today, (it's Sept. 24) I got a call from my sister-in-law, 1956's ANITA RAE MASON, in which she informed me of the death yesterday of JUNE E. "JUNETTA" BUNDY, who resided in McKee, Kentucky. Junetta was well-known in 1950s Miami Shores, and had been in very poor health for a number of years. I spoke to her last year by telephone, and she told me then, she couldn't get around well and having a very difficult time. Anita wanted to let Junetta's good friend, 1955's DONNA GENE TUDOR, know of her passing. She wanted the phone number of younger sis, 1960's SHIRLEY J. TUDOR, so she could try to contact her. I was happy to oblige. Condolences go out to Junetta's family and friends. We have also lost 1959's ROBT. L. SHELL, who died on Aug. 11. While alive, Bob had lost both his wives. He left behind a large family and of course, we extend condolences to them, also. Thanks to 1965's STEVEN F. SHADE for this one, as well as to 1958's BRUCE E. CHENOWETH.
Planning another 1960s girls' luncheon is JO ANN K. STEMLEY, and this one will be at the Starlite Diner on Oct. 6, and I presume it will also be at 1 p.m. I sent out a separate bulletin to 1960 class members only, with the caveat it was for the female class members only. To my delight, I received an e-mail from J. DAVID MAYS, who informed me he plans to be in town at that time, and he's going to attend. I laughed aloud. Bully for you, Dave! If I'm not there, send me a report, will you? Brace up, girls! Hey, what's a WC event without a few Mays people hanging around, anyway?
Just last week, I spoke with WM. O. WALKER, as I was quite concerned to see if he and wife, Karen, are all right. They live in Texas, and it's sure seen its fair share of bad weather woes this year. Bill told me he can stick his entire fist into the big, dry holes in the ground in his fields. They will be with us for alumni weekend, so that was good news.
Alumni treasurer GARY E. JOHNSON is keeping tabs on our attendees and I guess all is in order. We had a mailing glitch, as earlier indicated, so I hope everyone jumps on the bandwagon and gets in their reservations. We need every single one we can get. Let's recap a couple things before closing. Jo Ann's 1960 girls-plus-Dave-Mays luncheon will be on Oct. 6, Starlite Diner. Thursday eve will be gatherings at Ron's Pizza and Marion's Pizza. Take your pick. I'll be at Ron's first, perhaps Marion's later, but don't know for sure. Friday brings the Frisch's Frolic at Moraine City, as well as the VFW gathering for the 1961 class. There will also be a gathering for the 55th year of the Class of 1956 at Palermo's, orchestrated by RALPH J. WILSON and ANITA R. MASON. Saturday is the 4th Annual Miami Shores Memories Picnic, Wendell Wax Park (right, Betty, Tom, Bill, Don?), and that night is the big dinner/dance with special spotlight on our 1961 class. Got it?
Okay, it's time to get this show on the road. No more bulletins before our alumni weekend. This is it. Let's all travel safely, and hey, let's all travel! Be there! You'll have the time of your life. If you don't go, you just never know. Your best pal from high school may not be around next year, which is what everyone says; i.e., "I'll go next year." For some of us, there isn't going to be a next year, and who wants to take that chance? No, I'm not being pessimistic. The correct term is, "realistic." There's a huge difference. Please do not send me any e-mails, especially forwards, between Oct. 6 and Oct. 10. Thank you. With that, I leave each of you with my wish for glowing health, great happiness, personal safety, peaceful serenity, spiritual harmony, and boundless prosperity. Ciao!
 
FREE Animations for your email - by IncrediMail! Click Here!




Powered by Blogger