.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Sunday, April 15, 2012
 
14 APR 2012...HOT OFF THE WIRES:  Bonnie's Latest Report...:

---"Aaaaannndd we're off!" That takes me back to my Florida days, when I used to go the dog track with my late husband. Do they use that phrase at the start of all races, regardless of type? I don't know. Maybe so. Anyway, we are off again, on another round of news for all us old Pirates. (Younger ones, too!) We've now amassed a wonderful age span of readers, thanks to all of you, who range all the way the Class of 1933 (A. Emerson Fahrney) to the Class of 2000, and I don't know exactly who that one is and with a list which is fast-approach

-ing 1,000, I'd be hard-pressed to find it very quickly. It's only one, though. If you're reading this, let me know who you are.
Before I begin with the usual list of forwarders, I want to answer this question. A few of you have asked, in recent years, why I list forwarders. Well, there are several reasons. First and foremost, it's because it gets more WC names in the bulletin. Also, for many of those forwarders, that's the only thing I ever get from them, not any personal items, and I want to include them, so people know they're on the list and still alive and I can provide contact info for them. So that's the reason and here they are; 1949's ROBT. E. HOFFMAN; 1954's Rev. JOHN E. CROY, FREDA P. FLETCHER; 1955's C. ELAINE DILLARD; 1956's RALPH D. WILSON; 1957's BETTY LEE CARROLL, RALPH H. WARNER, ERCELL P. PHILLIPS, DARELL L. TOBIAS; 1958's WM. R. HOWARD, W. BAILEY HAWKINS, REX E. HEETER
RONALD D. "TOM" FEE, DONALD I. MCCOY, NICHOLAS P. WOLARY: 1959's ROBT. H. FULLER GARY E. BARNES; 1960's GERALD A. FULLER, EULA FAYE BAILEY; C. SUE MCCLOUD, LARRY M. PENDLEY, WM. O. WALKER, DEVONA S. TAYLOR, STEVEN M. KOKOT, DELORES K. "DEDE" FAHRNEY, RONALD P. CRAIG's widow, Martha A. Craig, DAVID G. OTT, EDGAR L. "EDDIE" KELLY; 1961's PAUL R. BEARDSLEY, SANDRA E. BROCK, GARY R. FRANK, SHARON K. WENDELKEN, CONNIE K. STREETE, HARRIET M. BURKE, CAROL A. MUMMA, BARBARA J. TURNINGTON, JACQUELINE N. LESHER, SALLY L. GILLETTE, LARRY D. GILBERT; 1962's BARBARA T. O'NEAL, JACKQUELYN S. HAINES; 1963's SHIRLEY A. RANKIN, SANDRA K. MINIX; 1965's STEVEN F. SHADE;
1964's RICKEY A. BUSCH; 1965's STEVEN F. SHADE; 1969's JOHN Q. KEMP, ROBT. E. THARPE; 1970's DEBRE C. SPENCER; PAMELA K. SHIPLEY, ROBYN L. GENGLER,
JOY I. WOLFORD, RODNEY R. GABBARD.
Among my e-mail lost for this edition, we can remove 1964's JOHN A COMBS, thanks to the efforts of HARRIET M. BURKE, whom I misreported in the last one as 1963, and have no idea why. I promise you, Harriet, I'm fully aware you're a 1961 girl, so that must have been just a type-o. My apologies. Another update came through from my classmate, 1960 's WM. E. "BUDDY" STOVER, who has had a change in his e-mail address. So if any of you are unaware, and want to reach Buddy, let me know, and thanks, Buddy.
Still among the missing, though, is 1954's MARIANNA LAKINS, V. JOANNA JACKSON; .Does anyone have a new address for Marianna? How about 1959's CAROLYN E. EUBANK? That was yet another reject. There was also a reject, this time, for 1961's THOS. A WEIDLE. That one can't be right, I know. Are you there, sibling ANN C. WEIDLE
? Please send a correction. Again, I got the old, seasonal reject on 1958's KEITH E. ANDERSON,and I never know, from one bulletin to the next, whether or not he will receive his. I understand it's all due to his location, based on the season, So let's get busy and get these people back on our readers list, ok?
Yes, I somehow managed to do a multiple sending again, at least to one of my alpha groups
, as reported by 1961's NANCY A. HALL. But that was the only report I got on that. I guess everyone is simply overlooking it, if I did it with all of them.
On Feb. 10, I got a long update from 1956's DENNIS A. MICHAEL. He still lives in Zephyr Hills, Florida. He lost a lady friend to cancer, then moved his daughter and her children into his house, and he moved to the cottage in the rear. He's doing all right and does a good bit of volunteer work and community service. Stay healthy and safe, Dennis, and try to join us all in October, okay?
Yet another confirmation arrived on the class year of the late DONNIE SCHAAF, and it was from 1959's JAS. L. LINDSEY, who also said it's 1959. So I guess we'll close that chapter, and thanks, Jim.
A welcome e-mail arrived from my 1960 classmate, ANITA F. CLINESMITH, and I thank you
, Anita, for your kind words about the bulletins. Anita informed she believes another of our classmates, J. ELAINE GIBBONS, resides in Mechanicsburg, Ohio. Well, drat! I had hoped Elaine might be one of these transplanted Tennesseans, as are so many of us WC folks. I'd had such fun talking with her, when I saw her at our 50th, I wanted to get better acquainted. I thank you, Anita, for writing, and for your kind compliments.
My next piece of news is not good, to say the least. On February 13, at 8:08 p.m., we lost
EUGENE COUCH, who was the spouse of 1960's DEVONA S. TAYLOR. They'd been wed for a staggering 51 1/2 years. Gene's health had been failing for years. Dee is doing okay and has one of their sons with her, at their place in Broadhead, Kentucky. During this period
, I also spoke with Gene's brother, AARON, who called me. We all extend condolences to you and your boys, Dee. A number of alumni wrote to request Dee's address, including MICHAEL S. WEST. DAVID G. OTT, SANDRA K. MINIX, and GERALD A. FULLER.
We have another sad occasion to report, too. On Feb. 16, 1952's RONALD R. BROWN, passed away, near his home in Alabama. He was in hospice care, the longtime victim of
Alzheimer's Disease. I know many of us remember Ron's widow, 1956's ANN C. WEIDLE. I also know we all also extend sincerest condolences to her. She and Ron were married 55 years. Many thanks to Ann's classmate, RALPH D. WILSON, for notifying us.
We also lost the lovely DONNA RAE PRICE, 1961, on March 3. This one was brought to my attention by her classmates, JANET L. WALTERS, NANCY A. HALL, NANCY J. ERTEL
, 1960'S RICHARD S. HOLT, 1959's GARY E. BARNES. As everyone is well aware, she was married for 49 years to 1959's JOE E. STOMPS. They had 2 grown children, as well as grandchildren. We all extend deepest condolences to Joe and family.
Unfortunately, we've had other losses during this bulletin period, too. JANET D. SIMON died on Feb. 5. As a member of the class of 1940, Janet was class president, a cheerleader, the drum majorette, played clarinet, was an accomplished poet and writer, and was even once a contender in the Miss Ohio Pageant. Condolences to Janet's family and friends, and my thanks to 1959's GARY E. BARNES, one of my leading roving reporters, for submitting it. Gary also reported the April 7 death of MELVIIN W. "WAYNE" WESTRAY, resulting from leukemia. (I researched his legal name, by the way). Wayne was Class of 1958, and we all send condolences to his family and friends, too. Thanks, Gary.
A loss has occurred in the Class of 1962, with the passing of PAMELA JEAN STRADER. I received this news from 1961's CONNIE K. STREETE, a cousin by marriage. Pam died on Feb. 29 and had cancer, I'm told. She was a Florida resident. Condolences to her family and friends. Thank you, Connie.
RICHARD W. ANDERS, Class of 1956 (?), died on April 2. He was a retiree of DP&L, and was a close friend of 1958's REX E. HEETER, who sent me the report. Thanks, Rex, and condolences to the deceased's family. I'm sincerely hoping I don't have so much of this sad news to report, when I send the next bulletin.
Finally, on April 12, I got a call from 1960's SHARON L. BORGER, who informed me of the March 29 death of the husband of her high school best friend, MADELEINE D. CAMPBELL
and I, of course, have known Madeleine my entire life, as I have Sharon. However, I also knew Wm. D. McDaniel, her husband. We had met on several occasions. He was a very nice man and he was also the fellow who was rejected by his high school class at Vandalia Butler for his 50th reunion. You may recall WC adopted him that same year, as our own. So I extend to you my sincerest condolences, Madeleine. Bill and Madeleine resided in Reynoldsburg, Oho.
My recent conversations with WC folks have included 1958's WM. R. HOWARD and his wife, Lucy. They were kind enough to drive my car down here from Dayton for me, and I think I might've mentioned that in the last bulletin. We had a great visit and I'm hoping they return soon. I've also spoken with 1958's BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, 1960's CHAS. A. HIGH, JR.,
EULA FAYE BAILEY, 1963's FRANCES L. PEFFLY, and I see I've missed a call, just last night, from 1960's SHIRLEY J. TUDOR. I also got a call 2 nights ago from 1960's PHILLIP D. HOWARD. Today's date is Feb. 25, which means I have but 20 days until, "The Big 7-0," birthday. Wow, I can scarcely believe that. Where did the years go? (Footnote: On the day following my missed call from SHIRLEY J. TUDOR, she was flying down to spend a few of the colder weeks as the houseguest of 1961's ROBT. W. BRANE. The date of this footnote is March 10, so I'm sure she's still right there, enjoying a Florida winter.)
Congratulations are in order for 1959's BETSY R. MURPHY and spouse, 1960's T. BARRY RUSSELLO. The Russellos succeeded in selling their beautiful home on Brantford Road, last fall, and moved into a home in Kettering. Even as I type, they're sunning themselves on the beaches of Naples, Florida, as they while away Ohio's winter season. You two have a great time, Betsy and Barry!
Okay, it's now April 2, and as usual, I'm way behind. I plead too much to do. I know a few of you have wondered if I'm okay and believe me, I am. But here's what happens in my life, on a day-to-day basis, so you will understand why I have to take 8 to 9 weeks between these bulletins. First of all, I've got a 15-room house to maintain. Many of you have been here and seen it, so you know what I mean. In addition to that, I care for 5 animals (a priority for me, and one of my joys in life). I also religiously maintain my 2 cars and 2 Harley-Davidsons. (I like to sneak in a ride now and then, too. Yes, I do still ride.) Need I even mention all the errands which go with running a house? I also have 4 acres of ground to oversee and yes, I have a lawn service, but that just scratches the surface.
Of course, I have a job with the newspaper and they're currently trying to get me to do a bit more writing for them, which I don't believe I'll do. I do some volunteer work on Thursdays, most of the time, for an animal rescue group, and I still write for several periodicals and a couple motorcycle publications, too. I was elected to the church council this year and am serving as secretary for that, too. Right now, I'm talking with the Johnson City Chamber of Commerce and am considering a position there to assist with promotion of their 12 annual motorcycle events. With my 29 years in Daytona Beach, they're very anxious to have me. I love that sort of thing and will likely do it. I also make regular trips to the Salvation Army kitchen, donating food and clothing, at every opportunity. I do the clean-up in my neighbor- hood on the street, every day, with my nailstick and extension grabber, picking up every scrap of trash, as I walk my dog. So am I busy? Yes, you bet! I wouldn't have it any other way, either.
As I type, I await the call for my new windows on the ground floor of my house and I'm also coordinating the work on my highrise deck, which involves installing wrought iron railing all the way around it. On Friday, I sent the closing papers for my house in Florida, finally, and am rid of that, once and for all, as soon as I tie up two more loose ends. So I live at a fairly breakneck pace, yes. But somehow, I get it all done.
On March 16, amidst all this hubbub, I somehow turned 70. It was a wonderful event, with a surprise visit from my younger daughter in Florida, along with my grandson. So many of you sent cards and I thank you, each and every single one. There were some which were via the e-mail and those were 1960's JUDITH A. SLIFE, DEVONA S. TAYLOR, DENNIS A. ROSE, Martha C. Craig, widow of RONALD P. CRAIG; 1961's NANCY J. ERTEL, SANDRA S. HOLLSINGWORTH, SALLY L. GILLETTE, NANCY A. HALL, and wouldn't you know, a few of them dumped on me, before I could get them listed. But I thank every single one of you so very much.
Today is April 14, and it's about 3:30 p.m. For the past 3 days, I've been hobbling around my house, screaming frequently, having suffered a severe attack of sciatica. It has been so awful, I can't begin to tell you. Today, I got out one of my late husband's walking sticks and have been using it. I'm better, and it helps. An important mission was planned for today, so I knew I had to rise to the occasion. It's the 67th birthday of 1963's FRANCES L. PEFFY. I had made arrangements to take her (and daughter Kelly) to lunch at the Gondolier, which is a favorite restaurant of mine, located in Greeneville. It's 37 miles from my house, but only about 3 miles from Fran's, in the tiny suburb of Afton. We had a delightful time and they are now headed to Florida for about a week, to visit son Jonny, and cruise around a bit. We all had a wonderful time and a great visit.
From 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST came an e-mail regarding setting up a WC photo site, to be run by 1958's NICHOLAS P. WOLARY, an accomplished, computer guru. Well, it sure sounds good to me, Mike and Nick. So get to it and let me know how to access it and I'll spread the word.
From 1970's INDY JO GRISSOM (she of the great name) came nice words of gratitude and you're sure welcome, Indy. I'll use any excuse to write your name. Ha! Speaking of names, I had an inquiry from 1963's LEE JEAN JORDAN, regarding the changing of my surname. I had to explain I hadn't remarried, simply reclaimed the identity by which I'm best known. I've had quite enough weddings, Lee Jean, and doubt if I'll ever be doing that again! My list of requirements, at this stage of life, would be far beyond any boundaries of reason. Similar compliments rolled in from 1960's ROBERTA A. RICE, and I thank you, too, Roberta, and 1961's CONNIE K. STREETE, so thank you, too, Connie.
Hey, guess what? My old pal, KEITH H. CLENDENON, has bought himself a Harley-David-son!! I'm so excited for him. You need to get on down here with that thing, this summer, so we can go winding through the Tennessee hills, Keith. We'll just buzz over to that favorite restaurant in Greeneville and go out to supper. How does that sound? Be careful! There's always the possibility, too, of parking the bikes in my driveway, staring adoringly at them, then packing up our walking sticks and driving to the restaurant in my car. Ha!
Notes came forth from my official spiritual advisor, 1961's NANCY A. HALL, and we had an exchange or two regarding the religious festivities and celebrations and services which are fostered by the Easter season. Yes, I'm still in there, Nancy, and I know you are, too. Hi to, "Larry, the Hunk." Similar good wishes came from 1961's NANCY J. ERTEL, although we talked more about personal health of those in our general age group.
Okay, this next paragraph goes to 1971's RODNEY R. GABBARD, PAMELA K. SHIPLEY, and 1956's CAROL A. HOHNHORST. Bless you, one and all, for being so kind as to want to include me on your friends list for the social websites. I don't belong to any of them, and likely never will. But I appreciate each and every invitation and I will always respond to your personal e-mails.
Listen, I know so very many of you will remember the name, Betty Greenwood. I know you all also know I'm quite close friends with this lady. She owned the swingin'-est nightclub in the city of Dayton (Cascades on Salem Avenue) for about 15 years. She's still alive and is she ever kickin'! Her 90th birthday will be on July 15. On July 14, she's putting on quite a show at the Miamisburg Moose Lodge. After coordinating contacts with 1970's GARY E. JOHNSON, through 1965's STEVEN F. SHADE, Betty's fellow entertainer and caregiver, Susan K. McLaughlin will be sending an invitation to WC alumni. They're doing fundraising for their ministry, Active Angels, in order to help underprivileged people and community efforts. So tickets will be available at $10 per person. I sure do hope a lot of us will be at this event. I'm trying hard to get all my ducks in a row, so I can be there, myself. It will be a really significant event, I'm sure, and Betty will be entertaining. I can hardly wait.
Let's all keep our fingers crossed for Martha A. Craig, widow of 1960's RONALD P. CRAIG
, who's been undergoing numerous procedures and tests for cancer findings. At last e-mail, she was anticipating some new test and I haven't yet heard from her. We're all pullin' for ya'
, Martha, and don't you forget it.
A recent conversation with 1960's WM. O. WALKER served to assure me of the safety of him and his wife, Karen. They were in the area of strong storms, I had thought, but they were further away than I knew. We were able to have a nice chat, though, and get current. Bill told me 1958's LEONARD F. KUHN is doing really great, as is his wife, Pat. So that was great news, too.
With this edition, we welcome aboard 1962's WM. T. SHARKEY. It seems he was sent one of the bulletins by classmate, THOS. J. GAULDIN, and voila! Here he is. Well, we're all so pleased you're on the readers list, Bill, and we sure hope you'll enjoy the reading. Bill lives in the Houston area, still works as a CPA, has two daughters, and says he plans to continue working another 3-4 years. Yes, we're all in that mindset, Bill, so we know what you mean. Stay healthy and thanks for signing on to the bulletin.
Today, I spoke at length with 1961's P. LYNNETTE GARRETT and briefly with her husband, Frank L. Hawvermale. He remains a bit frail, having been battling cancer for the past year or so. But he and Lynn will be heading back to their home in Germantown by the end of this month or the first week of May. I know we all wish them the very best.
Everyone agreed I'd found the clone of 1958's BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, when I sent them a February photo of a man I encountered outside the very same Kingsport restaurant where Bruce and I celebrated his birthday on Jan. 26. Both 1959's GARY E. BARNES and 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST, actually thought it was Bruce, and not just a look-alike. Saying the resemblance is uncanny---well, that falls far short! Did you get that photo, Bruce? I've sent it to you twice.
Since July 6, 2011, this is the 5th, full-length bulletin I've done. My goal is to complete 6 to 8 per year, depending upon how busy I get and how much news I receive from all of you. Remember, if there's no you, there's no bulletin. So please participate and send me everything you know about everything WC! Believe it or not, I've come to the close of another one and have run completely dry on WC e-mails. So this is it. I leave you all with my usual wish for glowing health, personal safety, great happiness, peaceful serenity, spiritual harmony, and boundless prosperity. Caio!




Powered by Blogger