.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Sunday, August 01, 2004
 
WECATON NEWS REPORT!! - 19 July 2004
 
---It's way too late for an old girl like me to even be awake, never mind writing a bulletin, but here I am, nevertheless.  In Sunny Florida, we've had quite an overcast day, which I found to be very pleasant, as our temperatures didn't go above 80 and there was a wonderful breeze.  Much of the nation was sizzling in more ways than one, with some of our citizens enduring the feared forest fires.  Let's keep those folks in our good thoughts and prayers and hope for the very best for them, shall we? 
 
Since our last bulletin (not that long ago), great efforts have been made to institute and use some websites for WC folks.  These efforts have been made by 1960's MICHAEL S. WEST,  BEVERLY J. HAAS, and by 1961's NANCY J. SWEEN.  We all appreciate all those efforts, too, even though I'M way too "techno-challenged" to cope with it. I realize that most of you aren't, though, and will use the site.  By the way, here's the address of that site:

http://wchs.blogspot.com/   
 
I sure do hope I got that right, but if I didn't, I know one of our three "computer geniuses" will catch it and let me know.  They all keep throwing around "computer-ese" in such a way as to imply that I might know how to grasp it.  Be not fooled, you three!  I don't!  I'm just a lowly bulletin-writer, who assimilates and disseminates some e-mails and that's it. 
 
On July 11, we all sent a few birthday e-mails to Mike, who turned 62.  Congratulations, Mike, and it sure does beat the alternative, doesn't it?  I know we all wish you many happy returns of the day.  All was not lost, though, as Mike wrote that he was doing some listening to 950s R&R music and drinking Classic Coke.   But we must also offer condolences to Mike and wife Sally.  I understand he lost his sister-in-law recently.  Mike commented on the great-looking women in the photos sent by 1958's BRUCE E. CHENOWETH.  Those great-looking women, by the way, were none other than DEVONA S. TAYLOR and NINA F. KNISLEY (both 1960).  It's going to be so fun when we all get together in October!  Nina even sent a hello to all of us, during this bulletin period. 
 
Cousin JUDITH L. SAMUELS remains right down the road and is still trying to sell their boat.  Anyone interested?  If so, call and let her know.  1954's WILLIAM L. MCNABB continues to work on the 50th class reunion for this year.  As I wrote to him only recently, I have just one extra copy of the 1954 Piratan now.  If anyone wants it, let me know.
 
On Friday, July 9, I arose early and rolled my big Harley-Davidson dresser out of the garage.  Away I went, headed for DeLand to hook up with DARELL L. TOBIAS, Class of 1957, who was riding his Harley-Davidson, also. It was a brief comedy of errors, as we began the day, what with Darell waiting for me on one side of the street and me waiting for him on the other.  But his fellow 1957 classmate, LINDA L. MCAFEE, put us together, via the cell phones.  What did we ever do without those things?
 
Anyway, we hooked up on a sunny day and finally got in that ride together.  I feel certain we'll do it again, too.  We headed north on Highway 17, clipping along at a pretty good pace.  The sun was out and the wind whipped us in the face.  Darell's bike is beautiful, shiny, and very custom.  Mine is fairly "standard-issue" but it's red and black (on purpose), our high school colors, and my spouse keeps it pretty clean for me, too.  We rode about 50 more miles together, winding up in the tiny town of Satsuma, Linda's home, where she was eagerly awaiting our arrival.  Her house sets on a big lot which has woods to the back and is very spacious and filled with interesting mementoes, from what was obviously an interesting life.  We met her visiting cousin and her 86-year-old mother (who looks about 70 and is incredibly spry and alert.)  Now, I know where Linda got her youthful appearance and good looks!
 
We visited at Linda's for probably an hour or more and then she wanted to ride on the back of Darell's bike and go have lunch somewhere.  Just before we left, though, Linda's mother approached Darell and Linda, and she said to Darell, "Young man, if you're going to have my daughter on the back of that motorcycle, you ride very carefully!"  Darell, ever the gentleman, could scarcely conceal his grin as he responded, "Yes, ma'am!"  It was a fun moment. 
 
So away the three of us went and we rode up to Palatka, about 15-20 miles north, winding up at the original, historic, hole-in-the-wall Angel's Diner.  Talk about 1950s!  We sat there and shot the breeze forever, as we had lunch, for which Darell paid the tab, by the way.  (Thanks, Darell!)  Finally, Florida' afternoon clouds began to roll in and I was about 75-80 miles from home, so I told Darell and Linda I would cut off at State Road 100 to the south, which I did, as they headed back to Linda's place.  Linda likes riding and plans to learn to ride, too.  She's already got her "learner bike."   Thanks for a really fun day, Darell and Linda, and I can't wait to do it all over again! 
 
Also, I got a fun photo from our published writer, 1961's CAROL A MUMMA.  It was from the West Carrollton Ice Cream Festival, held on the 4th of July.  In the forefront was 1959's GARY E. BARNES (originator of the title for our news bulletins) with his wife, Pat, and in the background was none other than another of my 1960 classmates, ROSS A. HODGSON. I'm always happy when I know that WC people are making the effort to spend time together.  Thanks, Carol!
 
Remember band director HARRY C. HAGGERTY?  Well, who knows where he is?  Who knows how he is?  Who knows how to reach him?  If anyone out there has those answers, let's pass them along to Nancy Ertel.  She wants to know, okay?
 
Checking in with some interesting little jokes, political commentaries and the usual forwarded stuff this time, were SALLY L. GILLETTE, STEVEN M. KOKOT, BARBARA T. O'NEAL, SANDRA L. BARSALOU, PAMELA K. SHIPLEY, DARELL L. TOBIAS, and none other than CAROLYN E. "TOOTIE" PENCE!  So how about that? 
 
Yes, Tootie is alive and well and living in Miamisburg.  So all you girls who were so excited about seeing Tootie will surely get to see her, come October, right, Tootie?  After all, she lives right in the town where we're holding our event.  But I know someone who's going to be very disappointed, aren't you, NANCY E. "COOKIE" BOWIE?  Maybe you can drag JUDI BECKETT to Ohio with  you, so that you ALL see each other!  Cookie really wanted to see you, Tootie, and that's why she was so excited that you would be coming to Spring Fest.  But Boo Hoo!  You didn't attend, after all.  Cookie wasn't the only one who was disappointed, though.  So was I, so was SHIRLEY TUDOR and so was BILL HOWARD and a whole bunch of other people, hear?
 
Amazingly, I got no response to my former request for a grad year for TOM MELZONI.  Is there no one out there who knows the answer to that?  I got a blip in from THERESA MOSES and learned that she is forwarding bulletins to RUSS ELLIOTT. Perhaps he will become her, "Just One More For 2004," who knows?
 
RODNEY R. GABBARD, Class of 1971 wrote several times and has been getting reconnected with a few of his former classmates, here and there.  That's what it's all about, Rod!  SUE E. SOWERS, Class of 1958, took a little vacation from us, with a down computer, but she reports that she is back now and everything is running.  We also got a nice, little blurb from SANDRA S. HOLLINGSWORTH, Class of 1961, who reports that she is hoping to be with us in October. Sande wrote that her sister still lives in Huber Heights and she's planning to visit her, too, while there.
 
Hey, folks, remember 1960's class president, LONNIE M. THACKER?  Well, his classmate bride, LINDA J. SNELL, also dropped a couple of lines and she says they're trying to make it back this year.  So let's keep our collective fingers crossed.
 
From DONNA J. RICHARDS, Class of 1961, came a nice, newsy report about her summer job ending on July 8, so Donna planned to hit the road and do some travel. On her final day there, she reports she saw AARON COUCH, someone we all hope to see, come October.

Donna is visiting her son in Virginia for two weeks and is going to lay around on the beach, she reported.  She also wrote that the 1961 girls are going to converge for their annual getaway at the home of CAROLE J. LEWIS. All of those 1961 gals do this each year and have opted to include BARBARA T. O'NEAL, class of 1962, this year.  Good choice, girls!  Your fun will be tenfold with Barb in the group.  Be sure to send in a full report and a list of the names of all attendees.
 
One of our new sign-ons, KARL R. BURRUS, and I had an exchange about name structures.  As most you know, I'm somewhat of a nut about names and getting them just precisely correct.  I like the histories of names, too, so I enjoyed that exchange.  We will all meet Karl in October, we hope. 
 
We had a couple of contact changes this time.  JOANN K. STEMLEY wrote to inform me of a new e-mail address and L. EUGENE ZINK has a new telephone number.  So if anyone needs that info, please let me know. 
 
Wonderfully, I received a request from 1959's JAMES L. LINDSEY for contact info on CHARLES A. HIGH, JR., which I happily provided.  I believe Charlie and Jim were old Miami Shores Kids together, as were so many of us.

A big welcome goes out to 1961's GARY R. FRANK, who requested his name go on the bulletin list.  Gary was with us all at Frisch's last year, I'm happy to report, and I feel we will be seeing a lot of him at our upcoming WC weekend, right, Gary?  Gary got to us, courtesy of JoAnn, who ran into him on a gambling cruise.  Good going, Jo! But we've also lost somebody.  About two months ago, I lost CHRIS L. CLEARY and her WC teacher spouse, DAVID COLLINS.  Does anyone have an updated e-mail for them?
 
It was another fun exchange with PATRICIA LYNNETTE GARRETT, Class of 1961, who is now maintaining some -what improved contact, I'm happy to say.  I'm really looking forward to seeing you again in October, Lynn, and if you come to Florida, call me!  Lynn reports that she got together with EDNA L. GRAY and JUDY M. FRANTZ. No doubt, that was one fun group!  I wish I'd been there, too.  Lynn is busy canning fresh things from her garden! She also wrote that MIDGE GILBERT still lives in Miami Shores.  I know that name, but can't attach a face. 
 
EULA FAYE BAILEY confirmed the nuptials of WOODROW W. BOWMAN and 1955's JACKIE DUNCAN.  They had quite a time in Las Vegas, I hear.  How wonderful and I know we all wish them all the best.  I had a brief check-in from K. JUNE CRUTCHFIELD, who is diligently working on the alumni gig and will give me all updates as soon as they become available.  Thanks, June.  But back to Eula Faye!  Let's all pull together for her complete recovery from a shoulder problem which she is experiencing.  We've got just under 12 weeks left until we all convene and we sure want you to be there, Eula Faye!
 
Just so that you all know, WILLIAM R. HOWARD, Class of 1958, and I have continued in our quest to solve all the world's problems.  We feel, actually, that we've done a heck of a job, as always, but no one is listening.  We truly did have an interesting exchange about the way athletic things have gone.  Bill correctly pointed out that athletic heroes of "our day" were ones who didn't get all pumped up on synthetic body builders and steroids.  How true!
 
So that's it for this edition, folks!  Remember, if you miss one or lose this, Nancy will post it on the blogspot.  Or is that you, Mike, or you, Zoe?  I just can't keep up!  I leave all of  you with a reminder of our big October weekend (8,9, and 10) and with my usual wish for glowing health, great happiness, peaceful serenity, and boundless prosperity.  Ciao!  
 
---And there you have it!  More at 11---  B 
    
 




Powered by Blogger