.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
The *WeCaTon* - West Carrollton (Ohio) H.S. Alumni News (unofficial)
Monday, August 29, 2005
 
WECATON NEWS REPORT !! 29 AUG 2005:

Bonnie Writes:Well, the old WC folder is bursting at the seams, once again. You know what that means, so here I am, right back in your incoming mailbox! But this isn't so bad. I see that my last full-fledged report was on July 19, so I stretched it a bit, this time. I've got PSA's, jokes, news bulletins, health alerts, virus and scam warnings from clear around the globe, it seems, and I'm sure that many of you do, too. But let me list mine, so that we'll have that out of the way first. The list includes 1954's WILLIAM L. MCNABB, JO ANNE MCCLURE; 1958's ROBERT W. "SMITTY" SMITH, DAVID L. HOWARD, SUE E. SOWERS, DONALD G. HISEY, BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, WILLIAM R. HOWARD, RONALD D. "TOM" FEE; 1959's GARY E. BARNES; 1960's LINDA L. SHANK, EULA FAYE BAILEY, MICHAEL S. WEST, BOYD H. JENKINS, STEVEN M. KOKOT, JUDITH A. STALDER; 1961's SALLY L. GILLETTE, SANDRA S. HOLLINGSWORTH, RICHARD E. KNEER, LARRY D. GILBERT, NANCY J. ERTEL, JANET L. CHANDLER; 1962's CAROL J. GILPIN, BARBARA T. O'NEAL and 1971's PAMELA K. SHIPLEY.

Of course, we once again have travelers. There is never a bulletin period, when we don't, in fact. For starters, I do believe that 1960's "DEDE" FAHRNEY is still tooling around the country with all her friends, in the RV. While I haven't gotten one of those great reports in a while, I also haven't received notice that she's safely back home yet.At this time, 1961's PATRICIA LYNNETTE GARRETT is, "under suspicion of slipping in and out of Florida" and failing to let me know. Did you do that, Lynn? When we last spoke, about 2 weeks ago, Lynn said she would be at her mother's house during the following week, which is on the city limits of Orange Park, about 85 miles from me. When she's there, I normally drive up and we have a gabby 3-4-hour visit. But I have yet to hear from her. If you're out there Lynn, tell me something!Speaking of Lynn, I have to tell all of you 1961 girls, I still have no report about that great annual gathering at the Kentucky home of CAROLE J. LEWIS. What's with that? You always send me a report and I've heard not a word!! Who was there? What did you do? Who did you discuss? "Enquiring Minds Want To Know!" Let's get with it, girls!Still traveling here and there, as time permits, are those busy FULLERS, 1960's GERALD and wife, Becky. They will be with us in October. I'm hearing nothing though, from 1960's WILLIAM O. WALKER and his WC-honorary spouse, KAREN. What's up with you two? On the eve of the inevitable strike in the delta region of a category 5 hurricane, I can't help but think of you, and know you'll be there by Wednesday, most likely. Let's all keep the good thoughts for those folks.

There is no way to avoid this, I guess, so I'm just going to get right into the losses we've had, since the last time we had a bulletin. Yes, I've sent out the news, the moment I have received it. Still, I want to make certain no one has missed any of it, so I will re-cap. On August 18, we lost 1959's RICHARD CALVIN HENSLEY, after a long and courageous battle with cancer. Our teacher, JAMES C. JOHNSON, was first with the sad news. Wonderful comments on the great accomplishments in his life, were just simply the order of the day. He was in hospice care. He left a great legacy.On August 23, we lost 1956's GRACE M. BRODBECK. I vividly recall Grace. She was quite beautiful in high school. She was the older sister of 1958's VINCENT A. BRODBECK. Word of her passing reached me via a very gracious e-mail from her nephew, 1981's BRIAN BRODBECK, son of Vince and his 1960 spouse, DOROTHY J. WILLMAN. By the way, lest I forget to mention this, the wife of Brian is AMY HAWKINS, who is the daughter of W. BAILEY HAWKINS. So Grace's sad passing ties to many WC folks. She also died of cancer and was in hospice care, at the time of her death. My sister, 1956's JUDY ANN RISNER, attended her viewing and said there were scads of WC alumni who were there, not surprisingly.On August 24, the son of AARON COUCH, whose name was Aaron Daniel Couch, also passed away and he, too, died of cancer. I spoke twice with Aaron on the day following his son's death. He seemed to be all right, but of course, those of us (like me) who have never lost a child, just can't even imagine what this must be like. So we try to do the right things and say the right things, even though we probably never do, and try to go on with life, I suppose. DAVID G. OTT, 1960, sent in a message of regret about Aaron's son, saying he had lived near them on the other side of Dayton, before they all moved to WC. Dave wanted to know about all four of the Couch siblings and I told him what I could. The complete obituary for him was sent to me by DONNA G. TUDOR, 1955, and I received a full report on the viewing from BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, 1958, after he left the funeral home.

From 1962's BARBARA T. O'NEAL came the news that she rooted out two more alumni for our news bulletin. I have recently added 1958's DONALD G. HISEY and 1962's CAROL J. GILPIN (who are married, by the way.) So welcome aboard to both of you and I do so hope we're going to see you this October 7 and 8!Does anyone out there remember 1959's DIANA SUE RAY? Well, I did, and it just so happens we now have Sue on board, too, thanks to the efforts of 1958's SUE E. SOWERS. Sue (Ray) was at the Frischs' Frolic last year as I recall. We sure do hope to see you again, this year, Sue (and the other Sue, too, as well as her WC spouse!)Well, I've gotten way off-track here and I have to return to my traveling people, don't I? We have those KECKLER people, who just never seem to stay at home! JAMES E., Class of 1958, and wife Janet were back on the road again, as of August 15, and won't return until tomorrow. Now, you two are making me nervous. What on earth are you doing, going north at this short a time prior to the annual dinner/dance and the Frisch's Frolic? You need to stay home and rest up for alumni weekend, hear?Apparently, 1961's JOHN W. OBERLIES, JR., has just returned from yet another trip. All of his transmittals were returned and I re-sent them, so that he'd be up to date. We all sure do want to see you this year, John! Please try to make it.During the recent weeks, I must admit that I have had nothing short of a circus with Class of1955's FREDA FLETCHER. We are both Miami Shores Kids and Freda brought up some old memories which brought many a smile to my face. She mentioned the old movies with the blanket on the ground (as did 1957's SHIRLEY ANN HILE), the Bonnie Lee Bar, the old bridge, the old boat house, Apple Plat, Swimming Hole Road, the big boat races with Guy Lombardo---all of which were a part of the childhood culture of all Miami Shores Kids. As many of you are aware, I still bear a fondness for that neighborhood and especially for the great caliber of the people it spawned and shaped. You can bet I'll be driving around Miami Shores on or about October 7, even at today's gas prices! As Bob Hope would have said, "Thanks for the memories," Freda! Returning to the fold is 1961's GARY R. FRANK, to whom I sent a message through the post office, to find out why he wasn't getting his e-mail. But we're glad you're back now, Gary, and we'll see you in October!Let's not forget about the WCHS alumni golf outing to be held on the morning of October 7. It is in the capable hands of 1959's GARY E. BARNES. Please contact him at ( patgary@sbcglobal.net ) and make him aware of your interest, so that he can plan accordingly.For what it's worth, I'm still trying to track down a current e-mail address for 1960's MILTON R. WOLFE. I actually do have his home phone number, postal address, etc., but I don't don't want to revert to "the long way around" if someone out there is able to tell me what I need. I thank you, THOMAS L. WOLF, JR., (1960) by the way, for your attempt to assist me on this.Listen, before I forget this, one of our computer wizard people, MICHAEL WEST, reminded me that if you have missed any of the bulletins, you can pick them up and get current by accessing the following website:( http://wchs.blogspot.com/ ). So don't forget that and use it as often as you like. Mike keeps that spot updated for everyone to use. In fact, I just got a message from him which indicates that we can now leave messages there for other WC alumni, so that sounds great and we sure might want to pursue that. Also don't forget about the great website of 1965's STEVEN F. SHADE, which is ( http://www.wchsalumni.org/ ) and then there are always lots of efforts from 1961's NANCY J. ERTEL, too numerous to mention here.

It's been a long time since I invoked our battle cry for the 2005 gathering, so it's time to remind all of you: "Keep the party alive for 2005!" Remember that? Well, time is drawing nigh, so we need to get all our plans in place. Please jot down our proposed alumni weekend events, so that you know what is where. On Friday morning, October 7, the WCHS golf outing will take place (and 1961's RICHARD E. KNEER has already sent a query on that).. On that same evening (or late afternoon), we will all converge on our old hangout, the Moraine City Frisch's. On the day following, October 8, we will all attend our crown jewel event, the alumni dinner dance, at the Holiday Inn's big ballroom, just east of I-75 South and 725 (or is that 741? I always ball up those two, and did so, even during all the years I lived there!) Anyway, you all know where I mean. So mark those calendars now! If you don't yet have your reservation form, then go online and download one at Steve's aforementioned website by clicking on events and following the prompts. No, there is no official thing happening on October 9. But typically, everyone makes arrangements to break off into their own little groups for brunches all over town, before everyone heads on back home and waits for next year.From 1958's K. JUNE CRUTCHFIELD, and her class- mate spouse, JAMES E RICHARDSON, came a report that the forms were mailed around the first of August. She also gave me the rundown on their trip to Alaska, since I'm considering going there, too. It sounds as if it's something I want to do, and the professional cruiser of all time, EULA FAYE BAILEY, is giving me a few tips, too.From 1959's JAMES L. LINDSAY, came many an old Miami Shores memory, too. He also expressed great regret and sadness about the loss of sight by his old friend, WALLACE W. ROBBINS, with whom he had just spent some good, one-on-one time, last November, when Wallace was here in Florida. He also inquired about two other Miami Shores Kids, WAYNE and REBECCA NAVE. I know lots of us recall both of them. But I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you, Jim. I even wrote an e-mail to Wayne's first wife, 1958's HARRIETTE E. DOGGETT, in an effort to find him for you. Harriette was prompt with her reply and it was precisely what I thought it would be. They were married for only a year (maybe less), had no kids, and she hasn't seen him since. That was about 1959, I guess, so no help there. Hang on, Jim, perhaps one of our readers will be able to tell you the whereabouts of the Nave siblings. We have had just incredible luck with that sort of thing.As this bulletin period putted along, I couldn't help but think of the many of you with whom I speak, in a year's time. There's a small group of guys who always ask about one or the other, when I talk with them. As a result of that observation, I thought it would be fun to make sure that those guys know that one or more of the other guys is asking about them. This year, it's looking really good for a huge majority of them to appear, so I wrote a special letter, just for them, and sent it to all of them. Those who got this letter were---and I hope I don't forget anyone--- AARON COUCH, CHARLIE HIGH, BAILEY HAWKINS, BILL ROHLER, EDDIE KELLY, RICH CALL, DICKIE PHILLIPS, and CURTIS KEMP. If ever there were a group of high school buddies, who need to see each other, it's this bunch. Things are looking very good this year. There are but three of you who are outside the state---Curtis, Eddie, and Bill. While it doesn't look so good for Bill to make it this year, I have almost almost a "death oath" promise from both Curt and Eddie, so we all look forward to seeing all of you, hear? I had quite a time finally getting a postal mailing address for Dick Phillips, but the spouse of 1962's Rich Call (Jean) was a big help and sent that to me. Thanks again, Jean. I had made the assumption that possibly he was related to ERCELL P. PHILLIPS, but that wasn't the case.Well, another Sturgis Rally & Races has passed. After going to 20 of them, there is never a year when I don't miss it. But I just may go back, one of these days, you never know. From 1961's NANCY J. ERTEL, always comes my, "Sturgis reminder," but I'm already thinking about it, anyway. Do any of you go? Nancy, always the flatterer and diplomat (she missed her calling), wrote that she feels it's me who causes us all to stay so connected and while I'm sure I do a little bit toward that effort, I'm not nearly egotistical enough to think I'm THAT important in the grand scheme of things. Thank you, Nancy, but it's way more than me, that's for sure. There's just a little "something" there, with all of us. Among Nancy's other writings was a recollection of you, Vince Brodbeck! She wrote, "I remember Vince Boy, could he ever play foot-ball!" That ought to make your day, Vince.Okay, BOYD H. JENKINS, let's hear a report on how things are going with your heart procedures. Are you in a hospital? Did you have an operation? We want to know! How are you feeling? From 1961's DONNA J. RICHARDS came a request for your e-mail, so you see, she wants to know, as do many others. In other news of illness, I understand the wife of 1958's NICHOLAS P. WOLARY (Marilyn) has been ill. So let's all keep our fingers crossed for her, too.SHIRLEY ANN HILE, 1957, and I, have had a good exchange about that little neighborhood which was just across the bridge, as you enter Miami Shores. I knew lots of kids who lived there and was very buddy-buddy with NANCY KANNINEN, inparticularly, when we were in elementary school. As it happens, she's Shirley's cousin and she now lives in Oregon, and I've got her on our bulletin list now. Small world, eh? Thanks, Shirley. By the way, folks, Shirley belongs to the Vivacious Violets Red Hats group, she writes.Among others who have been finally found, is my 1960 classmate, WILLIAM D. DUNCAN. Bill was long-sought -after, by his old high school pal, PHILIP H. WOLFORD. I had to do a lot digging on finding Bill, but I finally did. His wife, Suzanne, returned my call, which was prompted by his name and birth year continually popping up on all my search engines. It took a while, but I got a response. I've provided all contact info to both of them, for each other. These things do take time, but Phil anxiously awaits your response, Bill. Bill lives in Pasadena, Maryland, and Phil is in Towaco, New Jersey. So they're not TOO far apart.A similar situation exists for another 1960 classmate, DANNY A WALTERS, whose long search for his old pal, 1959's ROBERT L. TANKERSLEY, has now come to an end. I've been able to confirm that the address I sent you for him, Danny, is the one where he currently resides. Although I have no current phone number, I'm sure that's also attainable through online sources. so I hope the two of you will soon connect, too. With those two "victories," all of my current search requests have been fulfilled. But if anyone needs help with someone, we will all pull together and do our best to get those folks connected.Our newlyweds have checked in and say they're doing great. "Who are they?" you ask. Well, it's 1961's PAUL R. BEARDSLEY and SANDRA L. BROCK. Many of you may recall that they wed in May, I believe it was. We sure do expect to see you both on October 7 and 8, hear?BRUCE E. CHENOWETH, 1958, sent in a great report on the surprise 60th birthday party for 1964's DOUGLAS M. MAYS, which was held at Jamaica Run Golf Course on August 13. LEONARD F. KUHN, 1958, attended with wife, Patti, as did those travelin' WALKER folks. He reports that a good time was had by all. Bruce wrote that he especially enjoyed himself and that he hopes to get some photos to pass along for Mike West's WCHS blogspot. We're sure hoping to see a lot of MAYS people at all our alumni weekend functions!Through 1958's WILLIAM R. HOWARD, I've learned that 1961's DOROTHY BOYD is getting the bulletins, second -hand. If you're out there, Dorothy, I'd be thrilled to put you back on the list. Just send me your e-mail address again, please. Dorothy has long lived on Santa Maria Island, on Florida's "left coast."For the first time in years, the very first alphabetic name on our bulletin list will no longer be that of 1959's GARY E. BARNES. We have finally added our very first, "A" alumnus in the person of 1958's KEITH E. ANDERSON, through the efforts of his classmate, SUE E. SOWERS. Welcome aboard, Keith, and please be sure you are present at our functions this year.During the time since I've begun this bulletin, the Gulf Coast has been hit by the deadly Hurricane Katrina. I see that it's still a category 2, even though it is now many miles inside Mississippi. As a 28-years-plus Florida resident, and a veteran hurricane survivor of 2004's serial storms, I can only say I'd prefer to have endured what we had last year, than to endure what I'm seeing today in the Gulf Coast states. For a hurricane to sustain category 2 wind force, AFTER it has gone that far inland, is almost unheard-of. Naturally, this will be used as yet another hammer to hit us all over the head on our fuel prices. Okay, don't get me started. I refuse to make this bulletin anything other than an alumni bulletin, okay?Now let's see, with whom have I spoken of late? Well, naturally, there is always Bruce, there is always Eula Faye, and there is always Lynn. But I've also spoken with 1960's SHIRLEY J. TUDOR, who is doing well and will be at our alumni weekend. Last night, I got a call from none other than WILLIAM M. "BILL" ROHLER, who was at his home in Bombay Beach, California, within sight of the Saltan Sea, the largest inland body of water in North America (or is that the world)? In any case, Bill is doing okay, in good health, and has found a nice lady friend, since the sad death of his wife of 39 years, last September. It's a lady who was already known by both him and his late wife, so it seems it was comfortable for both of them. He tells me they are discussing marriage. Good for you, Bill! That was his good news. His bad news is that he's not likely to be here this year, but look-ing forward to next. Bill is still paying off medical bills from his wife's battle with cancer. Also, like most of us, he's feeling the pinch of the big increases in fuel, food, taxes and yes, health care. But he says things will look much better for 2006. We'll all be happy to hear from you and see you, whenever you DO get here, that's for sure, Bill!Just two nights ago, I got a call from 1956's JOHN F. "JACK" FREIER, who has also lived in this area for many years. I usually speak to Jack about twice each year, for some reason or other. That's just the way it goes. He told me he wanted an alumni reservation form, so I sent one to him. This year is his wife's (Phyllis) 50th anniversary at Roosevelt High School and they are attending that function. It's roughly the same period as your alumni gig. So he says he's going to make it this year. Many of you will likely recall Jack as one of the greatest football players ever to attend WC. He was also the first husband of the late Grace Brodbeck, and I did tell him of her passing. He expressed shock at the news. He was not yet aware.From 1954's JO ANNE MCCLURE came a whole slew of questions about WC folks. It seems that Jo Anne actually lives in Pinellas Park and not Tampa, as I'd originally thought. So she's your neighbor, DeDe! Jo Anne also wants to know if Miss Youngberg is still alive. I don't know the answer to that, but with all the WC staff and teachers we have on this list, I know someone can field that question for Jo Anne. She says that teacher was a great role model for her.Of course, that statement brought forth thoughts for Jo Anne of MURL E. HUFFMAN, about whom she wrote, "He inspired us to think about the realities of life. I can still see his face, as he loved getting our adrenaline up. He loved finding out our true thoughts. He was an inter-esting and inspiring human being. I enjoyed his classes very much." What a lovely testimonial, Jo Anne! As it happens, Mr. H. is reading this very bulletin, I'm sure. He's also still inspiring students at WC for the 60th consecutive year. He still does substitute teaching and he's at every WC function, everywhere!So now we're down to the wire and I'm about to conclude this edition of the WNR. But before I do, I will tell you that I did finally get a report from Lynn about the soiree at the home of Carole Lewis. She said everyone had a ball, ate too much, talked too much, and that it was great. But I have to confess that I inadvertently hit a wrong button---yes, I know I have a bad habit there---and erased it be-fore I could log all the names. So someone write and tell me the entire list of attendees, will you please?On that cheery note, I shall conclude this bulletin. I hope to hear from more of you, as we get closer and closer to our target date. I leave you all with my usual wish for glowing health, great happiness, peaceful serenity, and boundless prosperity.
Ciao!




Powered by Blogger